Author Topic: (Heading changed)Cheap Chinese Poly Hitch Failure (PICS NOW UP)  (Read 71761 times)

Marschy

Re: (Heading changed)Cheap Chinese Poly Hitch Failure (PICS NOW UP)
« Reply #100 on: March 05, 2013, 08:46:36 PM »
I'm ditching mine. If it fails when your on the road you'll end up with a bill bigger than $89.99 or $130.

nbd73

« Reply #101 on: March 05, 2013, 08:54:51 PM »
Come on every one, I realise $ are scarce these days but a tow hitch is up there in priority along with tyres, brakes and steering components. So as per my earlier (admittedly slightly tongue in cheek) post, why not just forget these poly block style couplings & get a modern off road one: mchitch, ozhitch, alko, DO35V2, etc are all far superior to the trusty treg/trigg. It's progress. If it ain't broke don't fix it (ie if you have a genuine product all is good) but if you unfortunately have a fake then why change to the same when a more modern product has all pro's and no con's in comparison?

Marschy

« Reply #102 on: March 05, 2013, 09:03:20 PM »
I tow my CT behind a Ford Facoln XR6. I have no need for a fancy and expensive full off road hitch. A better coupling will do the job just fine for me,

nbd73

« Reply #103 on: March 05, 2013, 09:09:19 PM »
Marschy, have you ever used one? I reckon even if I never went off road I would get a DO35 instead of a 50mm ball, such is the ease of use. Granted poly block couplings are easier to use with practice, but if you are towing behind an XR6 why have a poly block in the first place? Not trying to be argumentative, merely trying to emphasise how good new style couplings are to those who have not physically used them.

Marschy

« Reply #104 on: March 05, 2013, 09:14:15 PM »
It came on the camper

nbd73

« Reply #105 on: March 05, 2013, 09:23:39 PM »
It came on the camper
I am an idiot. This fact was obvious from the moment I posted the previous comment. Anyways, I am now guilty of derailing a relevant topic and my lame attempts at humour are not adding to the thread.

Offline evolution

• Pain is just weakness leaving the body
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #106 on: March 05, 2013, 09:28:11 PM »
Just as a point guys, i know jeeps found a huge flaw in his hitch that could have had deadly implications.
But my point now is that if the quality of the receiver was so bad why would you only change that part?
Surely the whole lot would be just as bad?

I dont know about you guys but if I was in the position where i had such a poor quality hitch i would be changing the whole lot. If I didnt have enough for a quality off road one spare i would certainly be changing it for a quality ball type. Im fairly certain that you can get those for as little as $100 for an alko one?

Cheers
Evo
Owner at Regional Campers
Explore a different world!

Marschy

« Reply #107 on: March 05, 2013, 09:43:38 PM »
If the poly hitch has AS4177.6 markings on it, should there be any cause for concern about the quality of the poly hitch?

Not being a smart arise, this is the same AS standard I had on a dual axle boat trailer with hydraulic override brakes.

Offline evolution

• Pain is just weakness leaving the body
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #108 on: March 05, 2013, 09:52:09 PM »
I know where your coming from mate, but call me a sceptical bugger...
I dont know if I would trust it. Its not that hard to stamp a number into metal.
Crikey, you should see what they are doing with knock off golf clubs these days.

Cheers
Evo
Owner at Regional Campers
Explore a different world!

Marschy

« Reply #109 on: March 05, 2013, 10:04:25 PM »
The AS number is part of the casting. My understanding of AS standards is limited but I would have thought that fraudulent AS Standard markings on a trailer coupling would likely be big news by now.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2013, 10:28:52 PM by Marschy »

Offline Big Nath

• "hows ya bum for grubs"
  • Hard Floor Camper User
(Heading changed)Cheap Chinese Poly Hitch Failure (PICS NOW UP)
« Reply #110 on: March 05, 2013, 10:42:37 PM »
After the recent Adelaide caravan show, it was bought to my attention that a supposed "Aussie built trailer" was using a non compliment coupling (I know this as we too were given a friendly warning)  so as a company we have decided to move to a genuine Aussie hitch. Treg/trigg. And seeing this story and passing this info on to the boss, it reassures our decision. Glad it was sorted quickly and thanks for passing the info on

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NAKED 2012 Pathfinder ST in Auto, Scan Guage, Polyair Airbags, 80CH Uniden UHF, Leisure Matters Camper!

Offline Footy Shorts Shane

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #111 on: March 06, 2013, 05:27:58 AM »
The pics of the Chinese knock offs, look as though they're made from a weld on spring hanger and a piece of angle.
Probably just a mild steel bolt with the head cut off it too.

Any one with an Aussie built one, does the attaching bolt/stud have a shank where it locates in the tongue, or is it threaded the entire way?

Shane.
With enough horse power, sheer ignorance and a total lack of respect for your vehicle, you'll get through....

Offline gordo350

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #112 on: March 06, 2013, 06:50:16 AM »
Looks like I have one of these too and I was just going to replace it but it is welded on to my drawbar. Can I safely attack it with angle grinder. I thought they were supposed to be bolted on >:(
Gordo 350
2015 Ford Ranger Super Cab
Aussie Jays Big Red
everyone is entitled to my opinion

Offline cm4x4nut

• Kimberly Kamper
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #113 on: March 06, 2013, 07:47:07 AM »
Also, 10 out of 10 to Cooloola New Age Mechanical in Gympie for getting everything sorted as fast as they did. They were an innocent party like myself to a wrongly supplied hitch.

I have used these guys a couple of times, and I am yet to hear any one have a bad word to say about them......Rare for a mechanic shop in this day and age.
Cheers, Craig

Offline Brij

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #114 on: March 06, 2013, 07:49:02 AM »
I don't want to question the integrity of the two companies (retailer and wholesaler) Jeepers has been dealing with BUT I can't come up with an explanation of how a retailer that thought they were selling quality, oz made couplings supplied by a wholesaler who also thought they were selling quality, oz made couplings managed to get the poor quality copy into their inventory. The only way I can picture this happening is if they (either the retailer or the wholesaler, or both) sold a full separate range of the knock offs and managed to "cross contaminate" the product delivered to the customer. I can't imagine they would have a single "knock off" just floating around  that found it's way onto Jeepers trailer by mistake.

I am happy to have my thoughts disproven because I don't wont to muddy Jeeper's suppliers names, they appear to have looked after him really good, something which should be applauded even though must of us would like to think it should be the norm.

Peter H
NX Pajero
NJ Pajero (semi retired  to firewood harvesting duties)
Home made camper

Marschy

« Reply #115 on: March 06, 2013, 07:58:04 AM »
It is curious isn't it, the knockoff is hard to mistake for the real deal.

Inexperienced storeperson perhaps. Having said that I work in wholesale distribution, our storeroom pickers are given instructions to go to shelf xyz and pick product abc which is barcoded, so this type of mistake can't happen. Doesn't mean this wholesaler has the same quality control though.

Marschy

« Reply #116 on: March 06, 2013, 08:02:18 AM »
Looks like I have one of these too and I was just going to replace it but it is welded on to my drawbar. Can I safely attack it with angle grinder. I thought they were supposed to be bolted on >:(

Sounds as though it had already failed. Is the bolt still on the coupling?

Offline DannyG

• Hard Top Camper User
  • The best way to predict the future is to create it
    • Oz Isuzu Forum
« Reply #117 on: March 06, 2013, 09:17:24 AM »
There is A LOT of these Chinese knock off poly block couplings getting around, I am surprised there hasn't been a documented serious accident due to one. I guess safety chains have been doing their job!

Its not only the fully imported ebay style trailer you see these on, I have seen them on a quality Aussie made trailer when I had a tour through his workshop once. In fact his trailers were made really nice yet everything that was bolted to them was imported unless the customer suggested otherwise which isnt really a problem with the majority of things, tent included, but when it comes to wheels, suspension and hitch I think its important that they meet an Australian Standard.

You cant even register a trailer (if the inspector is doing his job properly) in Tassie using a hitch that doesn't have the AS number or ADR number on it somewhere and that is supposed to be Australia wide so I done know how these people get them passed.
Not a virus, not a re-install, not a format, not an issue since 2011..once you go mac you never go back

Oz Isuzu Forums
My Trailer Build

Offline gordo350

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #118 on: March 06, 2013, 10:05:28 AM »
Sounds as though it had already failed. Is the bolt still on the coupling?
sorry marschy should have made it clearer. Its the part on the draw bar and it welded from the factory. I have just emailed the manufacturer to ask for suggestions as to how I go about replacing it. Wonder what their reply will be
[/quote][/quote]
Gordo 350
Aussie Jays Big Red

Marschy

« Reply #119 on: March 06, 2013, 10:07:44 AM »
I've been doing a bit of reading on ADR62/02 which covers couplings for trailers with maximum rating up to 3500kg. My coupling does not comply. The markings on it are

AS4177.3
2000kg
50mm

The standard for AS4177.3 states

A coupling body complying with AS 4177.3 must be marked with:
•   the manufacturer's name or  trademark; doesn't have this
•   the mark ‘50’;
•   the maximum rating for the coupling body in one of the following, as applicable,
–   750 kg; or
–   2000 kg; or
–   3500 kg;
•   a code to indicate the serial number, batch, production date, or similar; doesn't have this
•   the words ‘DO NOT WELD’ if the coupling body is manufactured from non weldable materials; doesn't have this
•   the words ‘WELD ONLY’ if the coupling body is specifically designed to be attached by welding only. doesn't have this

Offline DannyG

• Hard Top Camper User
  • The best way to predict the future is to create it
    • Oz Isuzu Forum
« Reply #120 on: March 06, 2013, 10:20:58 AM »
Here is some interesting reading...........

http://www.mchitch.com.au/adr.html
Not a virus, not a re-install, not a format, not an issue since 2011..once you go mac you never go back

Oz Isuzu Forums
My Trailer Build

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #121 on: March 06, 2013, 10:43:54 AM »
Quote from: Marschy
A coupling body complying with AS 4177.3 must be marked with:
•   the manufacturer's name or  trademark; doesn't have this
•   the mark ‘50’;
•   the maximum rating for the coupling body in one of the following, as applicable,
–   750 kg; or
–   2000 kg; or
–   3500 kg;
•   a code to indicate the serial number, batch, production date, or similar; doesn't have this
•   the words ‘DO NOT WELD’ if the coupling body is manufactured from non weldable materials; doesn't have this
•   the words ‘WELD ONLY’ if the coupling body is specifically designed to be attached by welding only. doesn't have this
I would say many would fail to pass in this case.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline oldmate

• Soft Floor Camper User
(Heading changed)Cheap Chinese Poly Hitch Failure (PICS NOW UP)
« Reply #122 on: March 06, 2013, 11:17:35 AM »
Does a normal every day 50mm hayman reese ball have all those markings on it? On the bolt in ball part itself? Surely it would have to to be compliant also? Don't own one so can't check but would be interested to know
Our Blog. A work in progress
https://www.facebook.com/UltimateAdventuresBlog/

Offline Barry G

• Hard Top Camper User
  • For my 'Pop' l.Cpl Tom Powell, A Comp.21Batt.6Brig
« Reply #123 on: March 06, 2013, 12:23:55 PM »
Does a normal every day 50mm hayman reese ball have all those markings on it? On the bolt in ball part itself? Surely it would have to to be compliant also? Don't own one so can't check but would be interested to know
My understanding is that the markings are required on the trailer coupling, not the ball.
2000 Jackaroo Monterey 2002 Jackaroo 'Equipe' & Heaslip soft floor rear fold camper.
05 Subaru Outback Weekender GOGO Camper
 i hope for a better world for my kids, and yours, not just a bigger slice of the current one!

Offline gordo350

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #124 on: March 06, 2013, 01:32:32 PM »
Aust standards states that it should be stamped on both parts of the hitch so I would assume it's the same for a ball
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 01:34:38 PM by gordo350 »
Gordo 350
Aussie Jays Big Red