Author Topic: Twine heat exchanger shower info required.  (Read 7749 times)

Offline Jason B

• "Mark Goldie recovery team coordinator"
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • 80 Series Turbo DX Cruiser, Kimberley Kamper 2013 SE
Twine heat exchanger shower info required.
« on: December 16, 2012, 09:14:30 AM »
Hi guys

I had a piranha power shower (same as a twine just a different brand) in my last cruiser and used it heaps. I planned on fitting one to my current machine when funds permitted also. On this note a mate gave me a Twine brand heat exchange unit. (No pump etc)

What I require is the fitting/instruction info if any of you guys have a copy laying around. I need the inlet, outlet info etc specific to the Twine.

Also what pump should I use? I will buy a quality sureflow unit, however what capacity do I need?

Thanks in advance

Jas

Offline aussieducker

• Tent User
Re: Twine heat exchanger shower info required.
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2012, 08:30:05 PM »
different brand but can't be too different....http://www.glind.com.au/instructions     :cheers:
2013 Ford Ranger
Lifestyle Reconn Hypercamper

Offline Jason B

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2012, 08:45:26 PM »
different brand but can't be too different....http://www.glind.com.au/instructions     :cheers:

Thanks mate. Will have a look at my heat exchanger tomoz.

Regards

Jas

Offline Matto

• Don't Follow Me - I Won't Make It
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2012, 11:12:18 AM »
Hi Jason,

I run a Glind shower, which is basically the same thing. Biggest thing to remember is to run the different liquids in different directions through the exchanger. IE, if your coolant runs left-to-right, pump your fresh water right-to-left. Makes it heaps hotter (which I'm told is something you people down south want).

I really don't think there's much more to it than that.

I run the big flowjet pump, and find it does a fantastic job. So much so that I've had to modify the showerhead so that it doesn't use as much water. I was originally going to go for the smaller pump, and still feel that it would do a more than sufficient job whilst being easier to find a spot for. The big pump can draw water from 10m below, but we never have a hose long enough to throw in the river so end up pumping from a bucket hanging from the bullbar. The only reason we went the big pump is because they'd sold out of the little ones and offered us the big one for nothing. It really does blast the dirt/sand off you :).

Hose-wise, I just measured up each barb (on mine, the coolant hoses are a larger diameter than the fresh water - don't know about the Twines?), then went to Supercheap and had a rifle through their heater hose section to find the hoses I wanted. For one of them I'm using a Camira hose, because it has a tight bend moulded into it right where I needed it - beats kinking a normal hose. I run heater hose for the fresh water as well as the coolant - I had the normal garden hose stuff that comes with the kit, but after a year's use it was all discoloured from the heat and half-melted. I'd strongly suggest using heater hose from the get-go.

Another thing I'd really suggest is to look at GG's setup here with the mixing valve incorporated:
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=3268.msg382695#msg382695

Mine:
http://www.pcoa.org.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=4883

And the original here:
http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/43197-On-Board-Hot-Water-Install-for-Shower

It can be hard to get a hold of that particular valve in AU, but it's worth the effort. For mine, it removes the only downside to a heat-exchanger shower setup and makes it heaps safer for other people to use your shower without scalding themselves. Also, you save a whole heap of water.

The only other thing is that I spent a lot of time and effort trying to source quick-disconnects for the water in and out. You can use normal Nitto air fittings, but they rust out. You can get stainless versions, but they're terribly expensive. Either way, they reduce the flow rate because they're so tiny. There's some other types of couplings that are rust-proof but even dearer. In the end I went with normal hose fittings - a plastic one on the intake and a brass swivel one from Bunnings on the outlet. Both have been fantastic, they don't leak, they don't suck air like everyone says they will - they just work and are compatible with every other hose out there.

I also bought a whole heap of brass elbows, t-pieces and such for a king's ransom from Pirtek. I ended up only using two of them on the hot side of the shower - all the fittings on the cold water side as normal plastic sprinkler-system fittings from Bunnings. They're heaps lighter than the brass ones and so don't need to be secured. Just another case of me over-thinking a simple job when the simpler/cheaper option is actually much better.

Good luck!
Matto :)
"I have a bunch of junk that is not any better than yours." - MoGas - ExPo member #226.

Offline Matto

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2012, 11:13:15 AM »
PS - good score on a free heat exchanger! We wouldn't be without our shower - it's coming with me to the next car. Nothing better than a nice hot shower at the end of a dusty day.

Cheers!
"I have a bunch of junk that is not any better than yours." - MoGas - ExPo member #226.

Offline Jason B

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2012, 11:39:38 AM »
Thanks Matto for the detailed reply mate. They are a great item to have in the bush. We used ours heaps and always ran the end of our hose into the river or dam where we were staying. I understand what you are saying about the super heated water as we used to turn ours away for a few seconds if turning the head off.

With it set up next to a stream or dam water supply was never an issue  ;D and I would set it up so the kids couldn't reach the shower head at all.

With regards to you shower pole, I just speared mine into the ground and cable tied it to the bull bar when showering, quick and easy, I never made a proper bracket. (To lazy and I have no metal work skills or tools)

Can you tell me what flow rate your pump is mate?

Regards

Jas

Offline Matto

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2012, 12:02:05 PM »
Hey Jas,

Given that you do throw your hose into the river, the bigger pump might be the way to go then. What do you use as a filter, if anything? We've got the crappy in-line filter (same as you put on a domestic sprinkler system), but I don't trust it to do much. I'd like some sort of pre-strainer on the end of the hose, but can't find anything decent that won't restrict the flow. I'd prefer something that will last a bit longer than the old stocking cable-tied over a sprinkler head.

This is the pump we have:
http://www.glind.com.au/store/product/32-flojet-pumps-triplex-11l-min-50-psi-only-149
11lpm it says, and I don't doubt it. It's a great pump - plenty of power. Plus, with the pressure switch you just turn it on and it takes care of itself.

Father-in-law just bought a similar pump from BCF, and it's also very good. I think this is the kit he got : https://www.whitworths.com.au/main_itemdetail.asp?cat=133&item=67325&intAbsolutePage=1

Good idea with the shower pole too - I hadn't thought of sticking it into the ground. The simpliest ideas... :)

Cheers,

Offline Jason B

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2012, 12:21:45 PM »
Thanks for the info Matto.

Mate for a filter like you I use a black in line one that is used for garden irrigation, it has a cleanable filter cage in it. I used to add some aquarium filter wool to the outside of the plastic filter (or replace the cage entirely with the wool). You can also use the webbing stuff that they use in cushions or quilting (cheaper than filter wool and comes in a sheet and is the same stuff), just wash it out when dirty.

I use a fishing rod holder that I push into the river bed, I then cable tie (use these for everything lol) the filter into the part that the rod normally sits in. I find his both keeps the end of your hose in the water preventing it sucking air, but more importantly it keeps it off the bottom and out of the sediment/muck.

Hope that makes sense mate.

Regards

Jas

Offline DSzuke

• Sleeping Bag User
Twine heat exchanger shower info required.
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2012, 01:20:53 PM »
I have a twine pulled from my previous car ready to install in my new one.

I never had instructions for it but have been giving a lot of thought to how I'm going to mount it.

The two larger pipes are about 19mm OD and are the coolant inlet and outlets. There is one that is on the edge of the unit and angles up slightly (left side of the pic)

That one is the outlet and is positioned up a bit to let any air pockets out.

As mentioned previously you need to run the fresh in the opposite direction.

The pump I was running was a SHURflo and says it runs 10.5L/min. (seems like a lot!)

(I'm on TapaTalk so have had trouble attaching photos so will try and fix if it doesn't work)

Hope this helps.

Offline MADCOW

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • I Rescue Fish from Water and Beer from Bottles
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2012, 01:10:23 PM »
this may or may not help you matey. I have a couple of shots showing my installation in my GU with a twine unit

http://www.grungle.com/shower.html

cheers Dave
03 4.2 TDI Gu, Mountain Trail Extended Escape Camper,
 June 2018 Terrain Tamer Calendar

Offline SteveandViv

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Never get sick of being here
    • Our Travel Blog - Have a look....
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2012, 09:22:48 PM »
Hey Jas,

Given that you do throw your hose into the river, the bigger pump might be the way to go then. What do you use as a filter, if anything? We've got the crappy in-line filter (same as you put on a domestic sprinkler system), but I don't trust it to do much. I'd like some sort of pre-strainer on the end of the hose, but can't find anything decent that won't restrict the flow. I'd prefer something that will last a bit longer than the old stocking cable-tied over a sprinkler head.

This is the pump we have:
http://www.glind.com.au/store/product/32-flojet-pumps-triplex-11l-min-50-psi-only-149
11lpm it says, and I don't doubt it. It's a great pump - plenty of power. Plus, with the pressure switch you just turn it on and it takes care of itself.

Father-in-law just bought a similar pump from BCF, and it's also very good. I think this is the kit he got : https://www.whitworths.com.au/main_itemdetail.asp?cat=133&item=67325&intAbsolutePage=1

Good idea with the shower pole too - I hadn't thought of sticking it into the ground. The simpliest ideas... :)

Cheers,

Stop being so bloody sensible mate. ;D ;D ;D

Actually I have used most of your ideas and re-sol them as mine --Na not really 8)
http://steveandviv.blogspot.com.au/

Offline Jason B

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2012, 04:24:16 PM »
Thanks guys, great info and it all has helped especially the pictures.

Regards

Jas