Author Topic: 05 yrs ago today...  (Read 4699 times)

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
05 yrs ago today...
« on: September 08, 2011, 02:45:18 PM »

Australia's motor sport fraternity has taken to social networking sites to pay tribute to touring car legend, Peter Brock, on the fifth anniversary of his death.

Brock, who is widely regarded as the best touring car driver Australia has seen, was killed in a rallying accident in Western Australia on September 8, 2006.

The fifth anniversary of Brock's passing is particularly poignant as his racing cars bore the "05" numbering from 1975 onwards. The "05" race number has since been retired from the V8 Supercar championship Brock raced in.

Holden Team Racing driver Garth Tander told the V8 Supercars website that Brock should be remembered both for his racing ability and for the example he set to the current generation of drivers.

"He is still the benchmark that everyone measures themselves against," Tander says. "That will get lost as new generations come through that didn't see him, but for those on the current grid, they know about it.

"His interaction with fans, interaction with sponsors, leadership, skill, interpersonal skills. With all that stuff he was often called the 'Master' and he definitely was the master of that," Tander says.

Social networking sites Facebook and Twitter are overflowing with tributes to Brock - and it's not just Holden fans that are paying tribute to the great man.

Ford V8 Supercar racing driver Will Davison tweeted earlier today: "5 years ago today that we lost Peter Brock. Still hard to believe really, what an absolute legend he was. Gone but certainly not forgotten".

Holden driver Craig Lowndes considered Brock both a close friend and a mentor. He tweeted: "5 years now since PB passing, he will always be in our memories. He was a legend and a great friend. It's a very sad day."

HDT Special Vehicles, the company that proudly brandished Brock's name on its race-bred Commodores, also paid tribute to the man who founded the company: "5 years have passed since we lost our friend & founder, Peter Brock."

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220793202642

http://brisbanetimes.drive.com.au/motor-news/brocks-life-in-pictures-20110908-1jz55.html
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 03:00:06 PM by Lost »
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Big Nath

• "hows ya bum for grubs"
  • Hard Floor Camper User
Re: 05 yrs ago today...
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011, 03:46:20 PM »
I still remember where i was and what i was doing when it happened.....I have also made the effort to go and see where the accident was.

What a spine chilling and eerie feeling that was. Never had that feeling before.

5 Years how time has flown.

Cheers
NAKED 2012 Pathfinder ST in Auto, Scan Guage, Polyair Airbags, 80CH Uniden UHF, Leisure Matters Camper!

Offline Duchess

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • "Its not as hard as you think, you know."
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2011, 06:42:31 PM »
There was something about 2006 that claimed quite a few good men. Amongst the famous, there were a few not so famous but no less loved by family and friends...

Steve Irwin was another who died in September of 2006.

December was when 2006 took my other half. August was when my girlfriends husband died...both of these men the same age at 43.

Don't know what it was about that year... ???

"I've got one job on this ship. It's stupid but I'm going to do it!"

www.duchessandthedukeontour.blogspot.com.au

Offline Kit_e_kat9

• It's all about the Journey ...
  • Hard Top Camper User
    • The Lyons Den
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2011, 07:13:42 PM »

So many Legends gone. 
So many great men and women. 
So many of those that were great to only a few. 

2010 Hilux SR5 & 2010 Aussie Swag Rover LX
My Blog

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2011, 07:22:31 PM »
I went to Brocks  memeriol service at Sandown race track  in Melb . Its 5 years on if you are still out there & alive , make it count .
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline Jason B

• "Mark Goldie recovery team coordinator"
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • 80 Series Turbo DX Cruiser, Kimberley Kamper 2013 SE
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2011, 07:40:59 PM »
I will take a drive around the mountain on the way to work tomoz as a tribute mate.

Regards

Jas
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 10:10:29 PM by Jason B »

Offline duggie

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Dont you just love it.
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2011, 09:35:29 PM »
Peter, may you be resting in peace old mate. 5 years on and yet the memories are still strong, I hope thet you are giving them hell where ever you are.
" Old Nissans Just Keep On Truckin On "

Offline goody59

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2011, 10:00:29 PM »
He was my hero from when I was about 12.  Had a signed poster of Peter Brock in a Torana GTR I had him sign for me hanging in my room until I left home. Gone but never forgotten. RIP Brocky!

Offline Heiny

• "All who wander are not lost"
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2011, 10:40:43 PM »
From the book titled Peter Brock published in 1997

"I still love doing things aswell as I possibly can and thats about all anyone can ask. It's the journey, not the destination, and I still have and I still have a long way to travel"
PETER BROCK

And what a tremendous journey you had Brocky, you left this place doing what you loved most and you will forever be, a true Aussie legend  :cup:
NM Pajero GLS 3.2 DiD manual
2008 Jayco Flamingo Outback

Offline Black Diamond

• "IF IT HAS TITS OR WHEELS IT WILL GIVE YOU TROUBLE........"
  • 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Cruisin through Life in the 80.......
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2011, 11:10:40 PM »
Yep was a sad day for all Australians. He was a true legend and a champion bloke as well.
Everytime I watch the V8's and catch a glimpse of the mighty Holden badge it always reminds me of him.
I remember when at his memorial at Sandown there were many tears shed, but at the same time it was great to be able to pay our respect to the great man who gave us so much.
He lived life on edge and that's how he drove and in the end he died doing what he loved.

LONG LIVE THE KING!  :cup:
1996 80 series Cruiser
2005 Coota Camper - The legend lives on.....

Offline Squalo

• "Two Wheels Good"
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2011, 12:10:20 AM »
Growing up with an XB GT as the family car left me a little biased, but I always had a healthy respect for Brocky, even as a kid - I was ten when he took the A9X to victory at Bathurst and it obviously made an impression because I had an A9X replica when I was 20... and replaced it with a VK Director (best car I've ever owned).

Last two laps of the 1979 Hardie Ferodo 1000 - Brock led every lap, was six laps ahead of second place, and set a new lap record on the final lap.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JC9NAhlsxUU
2007 Jimboomba Maddison Staircase
1995 GQ DX Patrol TD42

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2011, 10:08:43 AM »
I think Characters like Brock, Johnson, and Moffatt are missing from racing these days, its just downright fawkin boring watching the V8 Taxi's.

I truly love the old school idea of fairly well off the showroom floor cars racing as in the early 70's and a dozen makes and 2 dozen models of cars out there. *Almost* change tyres, rollcage, suspension and go...
Some of them look like they are still on their way home from the dealer as they pull onto the track for their first session!

Some top clips going round on email of a young bloke racing a GTHO at the moment in old class racing, at one point he nearly punts a mini going up the mountain, and another lap nearly kills an old Studibaker over the top!!! Great Shit
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Squalo

• "Two Wheels Good"
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2011, 01:50:26 PM »
Yeah saw some of the footage of that GTHO - fantastic stuff, nothing quite like a Cleveland at full noise.

V8 Supercars is tired and needs a radical revamp. The GT and Porsche Cup racing is far more exciting to watch.
2007 Jimboomba Maddison Staircase
1995 GQ DX Patrol TD42

Offline terravista

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2011, 03:29:41 PM »
Sure, he was good, and did a lot towards lowering drink driving fatalities, but his race record was enhanced by qualifying in multiple cars. Then, when his car broke, he drove another one. wasn't illegal, but being connected to HRT certainly helped in that situation.
The current crop of "Supercars" is a bit boring, but wouldn't take much to spice it up.
Add a steep banked corner to each track so passing could take place high or low on the track,and the "marbles" wouldn't be sprayed outside a single driving line. This could be funded by spectator stands above it because that would probably be the best spot to watch the race.
Have a separate area off a straight where stop/go penalties and race tape repairs could be occur without having to drive the length of the pit.
And, if a driver is taken out by bad driving, get 80% of the points for the position you were in at the time of the incident. The idea that you can race to the last few laps and get taken out by a moron and lose everything just plain sucks.

Offline toad

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2011, 04:00:51 PM »
I truly love the old school idea of fairly well off the showroom floor cars racing as in the early 70's and a dozen makes and 2 dozen models of cars out there. *Almost* change tyres, rollcage, suspension and go...
Some of them look like they are still on their way home from the dealer as they pull onto the track for their first session!

As an early teenager in the 60's I'd be glued to the B&W TV for the whole Philip Island then Bathurst coverages. Beetles vs mini 850's (beetle won that class once), a Vauxhall viva flipping on its roof at the turn off Conrod sraight and flattening the roof, Studebaker Larks haring off and being two laps in front of EH Holdens, Mini Coopers and Cortina GT's befoe runnning out of brakes. I remember watching live Bill Brown roll the Falcon GTHO upside down along the fence and being amazed he survived unhurt.  Dick Johnson spear off the track in the green Falcon GT, in 1976 a teary Bob Morris willing home his team mate pommie John Fitzpatrick in the ailing A9X Torana ahead of colin Bond.
Aah, those were the real days.

You whipper snappers have it too easy.

cheers
Gary
2009 Cruiser 200 TTD
2007 Navara D40 2.5TD - wife's shopping trolley
2014 AOR Quantum

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2011, 04:10:00 PM »
Quote from: terravista
Add a steep banked corner to each track so passing could take place high or low on the track,and the "marbles" wouldn't be sprayed outside a single driving line.
oh yea, nascar is riveting.. like baseball and gridiron... exciting fast sports for the dead.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Jason B

• "Mark Goldie recovery team coordinator"
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • 80 Series Turbo DX Cruiser, Kimberley Kamper 2013 SE
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2011, 06:51:15 PM »
oh yea, nascar is riveting.. like baseball and gridiron... exciting fast sports for the dead.

:cup:

Offline morgue

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2011, 08:57:14 PM »
A sad time...within a 12 month period, we lost Steve Erwin, Peter Brock and Billy Thorpe it just was'nt fair.

Offline Brett B

• Hard Top Camper User
  • just cruzin
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2011, 09:12:58 PM »
Hope your having fun were ever you are mate :cup:
97 80 series and home made ct

Offline macca

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2011, 09:21:23 PM »
I'm with you there Morgue,
Followed Brocky his whole career and had the privilege of doing a bit of work on his car in one of his breaks from HDT when he was driving for Patterson Cheney in Gown Hindhaugh prepared cars,  76-77 I think. Less than a month till we're up on the mountain again to have a beer or two in his memory

And Thorpy I remember the days at the Pier Hotel in Frankston, the Aztecs were the resident band on Friday nights, never missed a Friday night in over twelve months, sh1t he was loud, probably why I dont hear so well now.

True legends  and sadly missed.

macca

crackacoldie

« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2011, 07:53:21 AM »
I think Characters like Brock, Johnson, and Moffatt are missing from racing these days, its just downright fawkin boring watching the V8 Taxi's.

Some top clips going round on email of a young bloke racing a GTHO at the moment in old class racing, at one point he nearly punts a mini going up the mountain, and another lap nearly kills an old Studibaker over the top!!! Great ****

x2.  These days it is more of a racing shell that looks like a commodore v's a racing shell that looks like a falcon.  Not a real test of man and machine as in the past.

RIP Brocky, sorely missed by all racing fans, regardless of manafacturer support.

:cheers: Cracka