Author Topic: Here we go again!  (Read 3889 times)

Offline olddigger

• Soft Floor Camper User
Here we go again!
« on: August 10, 2011, 12:47:31 AM »
Further to my posts a week or so back about possibly dodgy 4WDs, I went today to reputable (?) Perth car yard to see an auto 3l turbo diesel 09 Colorado, 40,000km, good price. Looked great, had a drive. First class. Drove like a new Mercedes. Just what I want. Will buy it.
Back to yard for haggling about price. Boring, even though I was offering a cash deal (after rejecting their generous trade-in offer for my 2003 Magna stn wgn of $1000). One offer from them was for a full tank of fuel. As the 70 litre tank was already half full, this was worth about $50. Their generosity far from overwhelming. Finally, grudgingly, agreed on price. Like pulling teeth.
Bottom line, the log book had no name of original owner and servicing intervals were not stamped until 20,000km and 30,000km. Surely the owner had the early servicing done . . . didn't he? Even the staff member trying to sell me an expensive extended warranty admitted this was odd and offered to investigate further.
Paid a holding deposit (to the 25-year-old female business manager who, while not unattractive, had all the personality traits of a pit bull terrier and a voice to match) and later tried to do a REVS check, but REVS seems to have some strange time limits on it and would not work at 10.30pm Perth time. Will try again in morning.
Can see new vehicle deal looming. I have always avoided this for obvious value reasons, but fair dinkum, these people really try my patience. Stay tuned.
Cheers, Tony

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Here we go again!
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 05:43:45 AM »
Tony Dont tell me that in the west you get told " strange things " by car yards . Never heard such a thing I am disappointed & perplexed . The car sales are down the dealers are dealing , now that could be fun  :D
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline Redback

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 08:40:06 AM »
I've always been of the opinion that, if it doesn't feel right don't go ahead with it.

REVs won't tell you much about it's service history, just if it has money owed, I'd focus more on getting it's service history from the car yard, by law they must give you all the relevant history about the vehicle, have a look at the owners manual, that will tell you where it was originally purchaced from by who and when, give that dealer a call and ask when it had it's first service, it may not have had the manual stamped, but still had a service, there records should show whether it did or not.

Baz.
Cheers Baz.

2011 Discovery 4 TDV6
1990 Perentie FFR  
Lightweight Camper.
1973 Kawasaki H2a 750 
1979 BMW R80/7
1983 BMW R100RT ex Police
2006 BMW R1200GS
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fool

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 10:08:25 AM »
I'd say that theres more cars in WA/Perth from the floods over east than there is anywhere else in teh country.

REVS doesnt work at 10.30?

also check out https://www.service.transport.qld.gov.au/vehicleinformationcheckQt/Welcome.jsp
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

crackacoldie

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2011, 10:13:32 AM »
Dig,

Wouldn't buy a car ubtil I got the previous owners details and spoke to them.  The flood cars are appearing now and they will try to conceal that info from you.

Remember "If it looks like a rat, smell like a rat and feels like a rat...Then it is a rat!"

:cheers: Cracka

Offline gibbo301

• Still doing it in my Aussie Swag
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2011, 10:38:40 AM »
Dig,

Wouldn't buy a car ubtil I got the previous owners details and spoke to them.  The flood cars are appearing now and they will try to conceal that info from you.

Remember "If it looks like a rat, smell like a rat and feels like a rat...Then it is a rat!"

x2

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2011, 11:08:01 AM »
Get the VIN, take it to a Holden dealer with a 6 pack and ask him to print out the service history whilst he enjoys a refreshing drink.
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline olddigger

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2011, 11:33:20 PM »
Many thanks for the interest, which is appreciated.
No, REVS won't work at all, but I have done further investigations and am now satisfied that this vehicle is kosher (in that it has not been out of WA and has had servicing done at a Holden dealer). Has nearly a year of Holden warranty to go, and I pick it up in the next few days. Let the mods begin!
Has been a long, hard road, on which I have learned A LOT. Being a law-abiding, truth-telling citizen, I tend to naively assume that other people are the same. WRONG!
Hope to meet some of you out there in the Big Australia!
Cheers, Tony

Offline olddigger

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2011, 11:51:40 PM »
And to Speewa, yes, it's a worry!
Actually, it's been interesting. Years ago, when you went into a car yard, the salesmen would flock around like the vultures they were and never leave you alone. Now, in Perth at least, it's the exact opposite. When you want to ask a question, you can't find one of the buggers!
One bloke even said to me: "Can I help you at all without being a pain?" before wandering off into the background. Wonderful. I was free to open and slam doors, sit in seats, start engines and generally run riot, totally alone.
I also found the words "cash deal" opened a few doors. Advancing age has some bloody compensations!
Cheers, Tony

crackacoldie

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2011, 02:05:04 PM »
Glad it's all good Dig,  remember  :worthles: can't wait to see it.