Author Topic: 12 volt accessories  (Read 4916 times)

Offline madman1

• Sleeping Bag User
12 volt accessories
« on: June 26, 2011, 07:08:39 PM »
Hi all,

We are eagerly awaiting the hatching of the Swan in a few months and are going through the process of acquiring stuff to run off the batteries. 

We are after advice on 12v tv's, fans and all other creature comforts.

I know its not camping with all the creature comforts but I need to keep the "Ball and Chain" happy >:D.

FOR NOW!!!

Cheers

Mark ;D

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
Re: 12 volt accessories
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2011, 07:10:06 PM »
Quote from: madman1
I know its not camping with all the creature comforts but I need to keep the "Ball and Chain" happy >:D.
get her used to having no TV and shiz, will be easier than trying to wean her off later and save you money
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Old Croc + plus one

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2011, 08:03:27 PM »
it all depends on the extras you have ordered you haven't listed any  i go along with lost we find we don't have to much time left to watch TV after doing the tourist thing and looking around
Ford Ranger 2006

Offline HEM19X

• Hard Top Camper User
  • If I agree with you, then we would both be wrong!
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2011, 08:24:14 PM »
Hi all,

We are eagerly awaiting the hatching of the Swan in a few months and are going through the process of acquiring stuff to run off the batteries. 

We are after advice on 12v tv's, fans and all other creature comforts.

Mate,

There are lots of 12v accessories but as for TV's...unless you plan on camping in populated areas [C/van parks etc], you will be hard pressed to get a reception. I know as we have spent a lot of $$'s & the only time we get a reception is in a park.

Regards

Hem
2019 BT50 with custom canopy and lots of fruit. Towing a 2014 Lotus Freelander [welcome to the dark side]

Offline camdyson

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2011, 08:46:34 PM »
Have you considered an inverter? Saves having to get 12V stuff, and means you can also charge phones, cameras etc. Spend the money saved not buying all those 12V appliances on a good PSW unit and you're laughing.

Oh, good destinations have no TV reception, so that's solved.... ;D

Cheers,

Cam
Set your chickens free

Offline Patr80l

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2011, 10:30:06 AM »
A 12V pump for the sink is not a luxury.   Try washing your hands at home, one at a time.
And an inverter wins the prize for the most versatile accessory.
40, 80, GU, Touareg, GU, Touareg, 200

Offline TOPNDR

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2011, 10:55:18 AM »
We have a Palsonic 12v/240v LCD TV with inbuilt DVD player.  It's not had a lot of use.  For a fan/s I recommend the Sirocco Fan, https://www.whitworths.com.au/main_itemdetail.asp?cat=123&item=35794&intAbsolutePage= very low power draw, gimballed, and quiet.  We have one but will soon have two (no point fighting over who gets the cooling air flow).

MHO is 12v is better than inverting, as inverting draws some power, and many devices, such as a phone charger for example, just convert 240v AC to 12v (or less) DC.  Why use electrical energy to convert 12v DC to 240 v AC to then convert it back to 12 v DC?
'09 VX TTD Cruiser:- 6 speed auto, 650 nm torque plus bling
'09 Australian Off Road Quantum

Offline TheOtherLeft

• Tent User
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2011, 02:16:51 PM »
Chargers for mobile phones, video cameras, laptops etc can be bought that run off a 12V source. So there's no need for an inverter for these. I'm against inverters as they are energy inefficient converting from 12VDC -> 240VAC -> 19VDC eg for a laptop charger.

Offline Patr80l

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2011, 02:46:36 PM »
Chargers for mobile phones, video cameras, laptops etc can be bought that run off a 12V source. So there's no need for an inverter for these. I'm against inverters as they are energy inefficient converting from 12VDC -> 240VAC -> 19VDC eg for a laptop charger.

It may be energy inefficient, but how many Ah are consumed charging a phone?   It's certainly a lot cheaper to buy one small inverter than several 12V chargers with various outputs.   And every couple of years you get a new phone you'll need a new 12V to ??V charger.   Correct me if I'm wrong, but the cheaper 12V input chargers aren't well regulated and gadgets like laptops don't like variable voltages.  

Also, with a power board you can charge several phones, cameras etc at once off the one inverter.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 02:49:24 PM by Patr80l »
40, 80, GU, Touareg, GU, Touareg, 200

Offline MDS69

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2011, 05:04:19 PM »
A 12V pump for the sink is not a luxury.   Try washing your hands at home, one at a time.And an inverter wins the prize for the most versatile accessory.

Ha Ha, love it :cup:

Racer

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2011, 09:20:30 AM »
Hey Madman

Did you end up getting a fan mate?

Offline Symon

• Big sparks r us
  • Electrimagician
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • www.phased.com.au
    • Web Server in a Box Project
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2011, 11:30:45 AM »

Each to their own, but to have a 12V charger for the two cameras, camcorder, 4 x phones, etc is just more crap to carry.  The simplicity of an inverter wins out in my mind, even if it does chew slightly (and it is only slight) more power to do so.
Do not PM me for technical advice - start a thread.
HDJ79 Ute - 100 Series Sahara - 2002 Kimberley Kamper - No ATS yet - Survivor of 5 McGirr trips-Cape 09,11,12,14 & Gulf 13

Offline Muso

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • The beatings will stop when morale improves
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2011, 12:18:13 PM »
We have a Dick Smith DVD/CD/Digital TV player for $100.00 (USB charger). Bought wife a Kindle eReader for her birthday (she like to read). iPod with external speakers, digital camera and all items can be charged via USB plugs.

Wife bought for $20.00 a cigarette lighter adaptor with 1 x cig lighter ouput and 2 x USB output.
Cheers Glenn

Offline SteveandViv

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Never get sick of being here
    • Our Travel Blog - Have a look....
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2011, 12:52:10 PM »
If you really want TV while away and what's wrong with a bit of news anyway then look at Satellite TV. It's not that expensive and you will get all the free to air digital channels based on where you say your based. Down side is you need to take a sat dish with you (This is not Foxtel by the way)

I would also use, and do, an inverter for power requirements rather than heaps of 12 volts plug packs but it is each to their own. I do use 12 volt for some devices or for just in case like a phone charger.

I think for water pumps and the like then you would wire them up as 12v as they are fixed, the fridge also.
http://steveandviv.blogspot.com.au/