Author Topic: Why the big difference in prices for camper trailers?  (Read 9552 times)

Offline Brett

• Administrator
  • Hard Top Camper User
    • MySwag.org - The Off-road Camper Trailer forum
Re: Why the big difference in prices for camper trailers?
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2011, 09:19:43 PM »
It just comes down to personal likes and needs are, and some need more than others plus what you are willing to pay.
Cheers
Brett

Offline Matto

• Don't Follow Me - I Won't Make It
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2011, 04:17:52 PM »
OK, I'm getting the picture.  Just like build a PC.  Different brands/components etc.  Once mods upgrades are adding the price changes.
Exactly. Compare something like a Macbook pro, with a mid-range HP laptop, down to an Acer/Asus/whatever from JB hifi. They all "do the same thing", but it's how much value you place on the quality of the product (laptop or camper trailer).

I like the battery comparison. My 100Ah battery cost just over $300 (and the full electrical fitout is over $1000 so far...). My father-in-law's 100Ah battery cost just on $100. They both "do the same thing" as far as providing 100Ah of juice goes, but I could see the value in a deep-cycle AGM, whereas my FIL valued the fact he could do his entire electrical fitout for less than the cost of my battery alone.

Likewise the Toyota comparison. You can buy a brand new top of the range Patrol for less money than a bottom of the range Landcruiser. Yet you still see plenty of 'cruisers around because people value their reputation and their amazing resale.

Me? I have champagne taste on a beer budget  ;D.

Good luck!
Matto :)
(the tedious king!)
"I have a bunch of junk that is not any better than yours." - MoGas - ExPo member #226.

Offline Kit_e_kat9

• It's all about the Journey ...
  • Hard Top Camper User
    • The Lyons Den
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2011, 07:33:04 PM »

The only way you will see what value lies where is to do this in a more factual way.  Open up a microsoft spreadsheet ... have headed colums ... one lists the "things" and the next lists "what you get CT # 1" and the next lists "what you get CT # 2" and so on.  Compare your apples, your oranges, and your passionfruit side by side and you will SEE the differences in quality and quantity straight away.

That's how we picked "our" CT ... we compared the contenders side by side just like I've suggested above ... and went with the one that "we" considered to be better value.  We also took into account before, during and after sales assistance (which made a big difference to us).

Kit_e
2010 Hilux SR5 & 2010 Aussie Swag Rover LX
My Blog

Offline singo-26

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Gone bush permanently!
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2011, 09:16:03 PM »
Now that the ref has stepped in I feel safe to post my views.

Camping is so subjective. What one person see's as needs will not even fall onto the radar of another person, Value for money will also be seen in the same terms. I would personally struggle to pay $30k+ for a camper (a glorified tent on wheels), But as a camper perve I can appreciate the quality and workmanship that goes into them.
My first camper was a 30 year old Jayco that was the perfect introduction to camping with my kids (SWMBO wont camp) that showed us the direction we wanted to go with our next camper. The next is a 10yo basic soft floor purchased for $3.5k, A dry tent, A bed for me, Enough room for the 4 of us and no kitchen, Wouldn't suit everyone but suits us.
It's only when you look at the market, New or used, with your needs and wants that you start to see the value in a price range.
Steve

2001 HZJ105 and a custom rearfold softfloor.

Offline BigJules

• Administrator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Just Cruisin' - I wish...
    • I'm so much cooler online :D
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2011, 09:39:16 PM »
I firmly believe that, when buying new, largely one gets the camper one pays for. The second hand market is a whole other deal, and depends on supply and demand, of that model new, of other comparable 2nd hand units and also what the buyer perceives as value.

Reputation counts for lots, those with a solid reputation for quality and longevity continue to attract high prices, late 90s model Kimberley's for eg still attract nearly $20K, where plenty of brand new soft floors with plenty of features can't ask that up front.
Julian
Land Cruiser V8 + Trackabout Safari SV Extenda
MySwag Gallery, Photobucket
Sydney Agent for www.trackabout.com.au
Mallee Gear - Tough as nails

Offline Big Nath

• "hows ya bum for grubs"
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2011, 07:25:15 AM »
you must remember, when you buy a top speced camper the the factory includes things like a fridge, they are going to put there mark up on it. And more than likely your buying there name. you can buy a 10k CT and spec it up to the max and not spend the extra 20k like they wanted. also you can do a lot of repairs (lets face it, even the top of the line 35k CT will have something go wrong) for that extra 20K.

I also see it as a time thing, if u have time to buy a 10K and do some work your self you can save tons, or if u want to call, the dealer, purchase and tow it away to your first camp, that comes at a price. So i guess, conveniance has its price too.

With our CT, im quite handy and im a stay at home dad, so i have the time and ability to modify my self, as apposed to taking to a repairer/engineer to be modified.

IMHO

Cheers
NAKED 2012 Pathfinder ST in Auto, Scan Guage, Polyair Airbags, 80CH Uniden UHF, Leisure Matters Camper!

Offline Kit_e_kat9

• It's all about the Journey ...
  • Hard Top Camper User
    • The Lyons Den
« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2011, 07:53:20 PM »
Now that the ref has stepped in I feel safe to post my views.

What you talking bout Willis!  LOL!  Maybe I should have just said this:

It's only when you look at the market, New or used, with your needs and wants that you start to see the value in a price range.

... might have saved everyone 10 minutes reading my reply ...   ;D

Kit_e
2010 Hilux SR5 & 2010 Aussie Swag Rover LX
My Blog

Offline Snow

• Follow me, I'll be right behind you.
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2011, 09:32:15 PM »
Nothing to do with your post Kit e, you must have missed the cat fight in this thread last week. Any hoo all is good now. :cheers:
A vision without action is a dillusion

The Snowmobile: 2017 Ford Everest Trend with heaps of fruit
The Snowcave: 2023 Austrack Tanami X13
2008 Cub Supamatic XTD