Author Topic: Towing with 2011 2wd Kluger  (Read 3962 times)

Offline stujaz

• Learning the Ropes
Towing with 2011 2wd Kluger
« on: September 17, 2015, 08:18:18 PM »
Hi All , Great site Admin first post from a newbie. About to pick up a new Jayco Swan Outback Friday week and after some feedback on towing it with Kluger 2wd . We get away frequently with a main trip each Xmas to National parks on the NSW coast  hoping the Kluger can handle it and just little concerned how it will go on gravel tracks . Had a soft floor camper previously without any issues but the Swan will weigh 600-700 Kgs more . The last excursion was to mimosas rocks which had a small gravel  hill on corner which wasn't an issue but I am little concerned with the extra weight that traction might be an issue if we go to the same location?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Trailer Bloke

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • You never know what's around the corner
Re: Towing with 2011 2wd Kluger
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2015, 08:32:34 PM »
G'day Stujaz as a Kluger owner (mine is a AWD) i think you would be ok mine has a 2000 kg brake tow capacity but best Cheak with Toyota.
Cheers Jon
Toyota Kluger towing a Ezytrail Tarwin http://gallery.myswag.org/gallery/v/Trailer+Bloke/

Offline Swannie

• Are we there yet
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2015, 08:49:51 PM »
G'day stujaz, I had the exact model your talking about and towed my 2012 jay of swan outback my thoughts:
1. From a towing pov on the road it towed great (you will need a WDH) plenty of power, and returned on average around 12-13 ltrs per 100.
2. But once you hit any type of dirt, or grass especially backing the swan it was hopeless. You just get wheel spin and it became dangerous.

I got rid of kluger & replaced with my old 80 series.

Swannie
1994 80 series RV Land Cruiser  (Frank the Tank)
2015 200 series gxl TTD (Bruiser The Cruiser)
2015 Jayco Starcraft 17:58-3 OB (Starsky)

Offline stujaz

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2015, 09:24:59 PM »
Thanks swannie will have to look into a WDH by the sound of it . What sort of hitch did you have ? I am presuming they might try and sell me one on pick up ?

We are planning going away at Xmas to mimosa where there is a gravel ( graded) road into the campsite with one cornered hill which I am concerned about . I had the same worry last year with soft floor camper which probably came in just under a tonne but didn't have a problem at all  in the end !  No wheel spin at all .Will have to upgrade the Kluger at some stage as we plan to go a bit more off the beaten track.

Offline Swannie

• Are we there yet
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2015, 09:35:10 PM »
Thanks swannie will have to look into a WDH by the sound of it . What sort of hitch did you have ? I am presuming they might try and sell me one on pick up ?

We are planning going away at Xmas to mimosa where there is a gravel ( graded) road into the campsite with one cornered hill which I am concerned about . I had the same worry last year with soft floor camper which probably came in just under a tonne but didn't have a problem at all  in the end !  No wheel spin at all .Will have to upgrade the Kluger at some stage as we plan to go a bit more off the beaten track.

Just a hayman Reese WDH the 650kgs one. Will be about $500. The kluger will drop a bit so be careful if it's wet it will be interesting
Swannie
1994 80 series RV Land Cruiser  (Frank the Tank)
2015 200 series gxl TTD (Bruiser The Cruiser)
2015 Jayco Starcraft 17:58-3 OB (Starsky)

Offline Sixpack

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2015, 11:22:13 PM »
G'day Stujaz and welcome to Myswag.
Cheers Terry.

2014 Toyota Prado, 2018 Jayco Expanda Outback

Offline Jason B

• "Mark Goldie recovery team coordinator"
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • 80 Series Turbo DX Cruiser, Kimberley Kamper 2013 SE
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2015, 11:34:33 PM »
Stujaz

As Swannie said loose gravel and wet grass will be your enemy. However as an interim measure get your self a quality air compressor.

If you run into traction problems just drop your tyre pressures to 16psi - 20psi on the rear and go easy for the short distance needed. Even consider a set of max trax for short reverse manoeuvres on grass. It may be a little bit of stuffing around on occasions but is cheaper than replacing the car for the moment and will get you over those areas of concern if an issue arises.

Getting there is half the adventure!

Jas