Author Topic: Top tips for owner of a new Jayco Eagle Outback  (Read 6128 times)

Offline rockrat

• Soft Floor Camper User
Top tips for owner of a new Jayco Eagle Outback
« on: January 30, 2015, 12:57:55 PM »
Well today I decided to put down a deposit on a 2014 runout Eagle Outback with Fiamma awning and bed flys which I will pick up next week. I bought the Jayco after a rather wet long weekend in an old Cub hard floor.

So, as a newbie to Jayco's what are some of the top tips experienced users would like to share?

I am only after positive and constructive suggestions. I have read all the negatives and don't really care. I've made my choice and have no problem living with that come what may.

Life is far too short to sweat the small stuff and I have a wife and two young kids keen on getting out and seeing more of this fine country, having moved to NQ just last year.

Offline Swannie

• Are we there yet
  • Hard Top Camper User
Re: Top tips for owner of a new Jayco Eagle Outback
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2015, 01:05:57 PM »
Hi and congrats on your purchase

1. Always put the safety poles under roof
2. Make sure that the last thing you do before pack up is ensure the 12v plug is disconnected and the battery switch turned off
3. always make sure roof is still fully would up when sliding bed ends in as they are known to catch the canvas especially around the door area
4. makes sure your tap is turned off when connecting the water (or you will go in a see water every where)
5. when connected to mains make sure you turn water on slowly and bleed the system
6. Overall setup is easier when its level so put a little level on A Frame
7. For overnight just throw the bed ends over without the poles
8. always make sure you have the canvas valcro under bed completed before letting anyone jump on beds
9. take you time packing up and ensure the canvas is packed well under the roof so you don't pinch it and get a hole
10. be careful when putting the 2 internal bed poles into their slot, it is easy to slip and tear canvas
11. Always have the front a little up, when completely level I found water always tended to drip around door area, putting it up ever so slightly made it go to the back of the camper

Swannie
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 01:07:53 PM by swannie »
1994 80 series RV Land Cruiser  (Frank the Tank)
2015 200 series gxl TTD (Bruiser The Cruiser)
2015 Jayco Starcraft 17:58-3 OB (Starsky)

Offline millzzy

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2015, 04:24:23 PM »
We have a 2014 penguin o/b, new independent suspension is magic tows beautifully, your eagle should be the same, I suspect it will be similar underneath, check the very light metal covers where the wire and gas pipes are at the end of the drawer bar, ours was cutting into the insulation of the earth wiring have seen it on a friends unit as well. I have replace this one and a similar one at the back with heavy  ally covers and am going to do the same with the water tank covers. If you are in Melbourne the shop at the Jayco factory in Dandenong are very helpful and carry most bits.

Offline fishfinder

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2015, 07:05:50 AM »
when you do a quick overnight set up ie. without annexe make sure you have bum on seat and beer in hand and enjoy watching other people struggle with their canvas
2004 Jayco Eagle Outback - 1999 Toyota Prado Snowy

Offline rockrat

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2015, 06:10:35 PM »
Fishfinder that is exactly why I bought a Jayco and not a standard camper trailer.

Offline cruiser 91

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2015, 07:24:45 AM »
Top Tip No1: Invest in a reversing camera if you don't already have one  :cheers:
Hell's Gate, Worlds End, South Australia.

Offline cruiser 91

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2015, 07:28:16 AM »
Top Tip No2: Discretion is everything when having a romp on the bed-end  >:D

Offline cruiser 91

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2015, 07:31:27 AM »
Top Tip No3: Pay attention coming down those steps after having a few cold ones under the belt.  ;D
« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 07:34:00 AM by cruiser 91 »

Offline cruiser 91

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2015, 07:32:53 AM »
Top Tip No4: Beware of separation anxiety from the bush and depression creeping in once you've come home after being away in the Jayco.  :'(
« Last Edit: February 06, 2015, 07:39:37 AM by cruiser 91 »

Trrrumping Beast

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2015, 07:38:11 AM »
Fabricate yourself a square section winder so you can use an 18v cordless drill to wind the roof up and down. And get a socket so you can do the stabiliser legs too.  Anyone who thinks this is overkill has never done it.  Trust me its so worth it.

Otherwise what Greg said.

:cheers:
Nigel