Author Topic: weather - what to expect  (Read 2528 times)

Offline DanAdelaide

• Sleeping Bag User
weather - what to expect
« on: May 20, 2014, 07:12:19 PM »
We are really go along with the ride with this trip and appreciate all the effort that is being put in, a question for the people who know the region well for the proposed traveling period?

What would be the expected weather/conditions

Huge chance of many wet days
Nice days and freezing nights, how low will it go (or normally goes?)
Bit of everything
Lots of mud
Should be dry apart from odd day rain or there

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: weather - what to expect
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2014, 08:58:37 PM »
When we were out in the centre for 3 weeks we didn't get a drop of rain, but 2 weeks later it rained in The Simpson. For the most part you should expect fine weather really.
Days are great, shorts and t shirt weather, nights get very cold out there. When we were in the desert a mate left his washing up bowl out full of water...it had frozen the top layer of the water overnight. I walked around heaps in double pluggers, so ground for the most part shouldn't be muddy unless it has rained or does rain whilst you are out there. There's plenty of prickles on the ground  in some areas of the desert, so watch what footwear you choose to wear.
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t

Offline JCOJ

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2014, 08:59:49 PM »
Well I wish we were this week!!  27c during the day and 17c overnight!!

However, from my past trips in this region, it has been around 16c during the day (usually sunny but sometimes overcast) to around 0c - 3c at night. Once at Kings Creek we had icicles coming out of the taps, and at Kulgera a pair of shorts that were left out overnight froze solid!

The coldest day I remember was 12c during the day and it was cold. Other days we have been in t-shirts so best be prepared for all weather. Hasn't ever rained on us much, but can happen too.

Definitely pack your thermals and beanies and jumpers, but some t-shirts too.

Offline letsgoplaces

• Tent User
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2014, 09:13:57 PM »
Options 2 and 5 should cover it :)
At the moment the weather is deadset perfect but in 5 weeks though, the nights should be cold
The days... All depends on cloud cover and wind. The way the days are panning out at the moment, it looks like it is going to be a short winter. We've had one winter that only lasted 6 weeks!

Cheers
John
Another awesome forum.... now i'll never get to bed :D