Author Topic: Reversing cameras  (Read 4676 times)

Offline MarkVS

• Hard Floor Camper User
Reversing cameras
« on: July 29, 2016, 02:52:22 PM »
I've had a bit of a look and couldn't find anything reasonably recent.

Looking for a revising camera for the pajero and possibly one for the Exodus.

My Pajero is an older model so it doesn't have any screens inside to use.

Keen to get any input on..
Any reason why I shouldn't look at the ones that are incorporated into the rear view mirror ?ie..they replace your existing rear view mirror..... I think another screen would only clutter things up as I also have a Hema 7 screen.
Are there issues with wireless ? ARB seemed dead against them..maybe because they sell only wired...
Are there any brands that are better than others ?

Any initial input so I can look further would be appreciated.

Mark
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 05:01:24 PM by MarkVS »
2020 Patrol Series 5
2015 Complete Campsite Exodus 14

2013,2015,2017 National Meet
Survivor 2013 McGirr Across the Gulf trip
2014 McGirr Cape trip
2016 Duggie Savannah trip
2018 McGirr Kimberley

For every situation you have 3 choices. Live with it, change it, or leave it. But only pick one

Offline RebsWA

• Hard Floor Camper User
Re: Reversing cameras
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2016, 03:16:00 PM »
I would not get one that is on the rearview mirror. I have driven with one of them and it was simply too small.
The detail you are trying to view is too compressed on the little screen.
I have a double DIN size screen in the dash for reversing and its a lot easier to see obstructions like bollards, curbs etc.

You don't stop laughing because you grow old
You grow old because you stop laughing

2006 TD LandCruiser Troopy LX  -  2015 Jayco Starcraft Outback (a Caravan...)
The following users thanked this post: MarkVS

Offline Bushman

• Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "Apprentice Grey Nomad"
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2016, 03:42:49 PM »
To save clutter on dash you can use the Hema screen for the camera, though if you wish to have the camera on to view behind trailer while in forward motion obviously the Nav part wont be shown,  though believe you can fit a switch to swap between the two,  My Pajero doesn't have a screen or camera either this was the way we looked at going, though I want the car camera to work when not towing and I don't leave my Hema in the vehicle when not being used so a separate screen is the go.
09 Pajero NT  RX Limited  (SOLD)
2010 Jayco Expanda Outback  (SOLD)
2019 Trailblazer LTZ (SOLD)
2014 Golden Eagle Escape (SOLD)
2021 Pajero Sport GLX
2020 Vacationer Roadtracker.

R.I.P "MILO"  The Border Collie 2008-2018
Forever in our hearts 🐾🐾
The following users thanked this post: MarkVS

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2016, 04:03:34 PM »
I have the rear view mirror type in my Cruiser, don't have any issues at all with it myself. In saying that, i don't use the mirror to look out of behind me as i drive, as my canopy blocks that view entirely. As a reverse camera only it works fine...mines wired in, not wireless.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 05:59:05 PM by Rumpig »
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t

Offline tk421

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Out of the Office... Road trips round Australia
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2016, 04:55:31 PM »
I've used the clip on mirror type and they're fine. Most have a second input so you can cable from the trailer too.

Wireless ones are subject to interference (low power and get blocked by the metal in the car more so on the 2.4Ghz models) and they share the same public frequencies so some have reported picking up home CCTV systems, baby monitors, other vehicles as you drive. Basically they're a PITA
“It is good to have an end to journey toward; but it is the journey that matters, in the end.”  - Ernest Hemingway

Offline MarkVS

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2016, 05:04:56 PM »
To save clutter on dash you can use the Hema screen for the camera, though if you wish to have the camera on to view behind trailer while in forward motion obviously the Nav part wont be shown,  though believe you can fit a switch to swap between the two,  My Pajero doesn't have a screen or camera either this was the way we looked at going, though I want the car camera to work when not towing and I don't leave my Hema in the vehicle when not being used so a separate screen is the go.
Bushman,
Interesting...using the Hema would be handy.....why would I want to have the camera on while I am driving forward ?

Mark

2020 Patrol Series 5

2014 McGirr Cape trip
2018 McGirr Kimberley

For every situation you have 3 choices. Live with it, change it, or leave it. But only pick one

Offline tk421

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • Out of the Office... Road trips round Australia
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2016, 05:07:44 PM »
Bushman,
Interesting...using the Hema would be handy.....why would I want to have the camera on while I am driving forward ?

Mark

If your rear view is blocked by the trailer/van/loaded car, you can use it to see what's behind you.
Some also fit a camera on the front for when off-roading to see obstacles.
“It is good to have an end to journey toward; but it is the journey that matters, in the end.”  - Ernest Hemingway

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2016, 05:09:34 PM »
If your lucky there maybe 10-30 other threads on it with plenty of options..
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline MarkVS

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2016, 05:14:54 PM »
Bird, I did look but the ones I found were several years old.....and I thought wireless and cameras have come a long way over that period.
2020 Patrol Series 5

2014 McGirr Cape trip
2018 McGirr Kimberley

Offline McGirr

• Cape York Tour Guide
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2016, 06:22:22 PM »
We use a 4in screen that we can turn off or on. Its great for reversing to hitch up the camper and its hard wired. Tried wireless and no good. Pic too grainy.

We normally leave it on while driving so I can keep an eye on the camper.

Mark

Living the dream working our way around Australia.

Ernabella SA, Warburton WA, Mt Barnett Roadhouse in the Kimberley, Peppimenarti NT, Ramingining NT, Gapuwiyak NT, Gunbalanya NT, Bidyadanga WA, Ali Curung NT, Tjuntjuntjara WA. 18 places

https://www.facebook.com/Working-and-Traveling-Australia

Offline Symon

• Big sparks r us
  • Electrimagician
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • www.phased.com.au
    • Web Server in a Box Project
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2016, 06:43:14 PM »
I would not get one that is on the rearview mirror. I have driven with one of them and it was simply too small.
The detail you are trying to view is too compressed on the little screen.
I have a double DIN size screen in the dash for reversing and its a lot easier to see obstructions like bollards, curbs etc.

Each to their own.

I have two cameras on the cruiser, one sits up high on the tray and overlooks the rear.  This feeds to a screen that clips onto the rear view mirror.  The tray is generally full of crap so the view is blocked, I rely on that camera to see behind me and also check on the trailer.  Having the screen on the mirror means it is always easy to check it, I don't need to look down to see it.  I like that.  This camera and screen is always on.

The second camera is above the tow ball and the screen for it is in the double-din head unit in the dash.  This camera only comes on when reversing and I use it to line up the hitch onto the ball, which has saved my marriage more than once.

Interesting...using the Hema would be handy.....

Only problem you have with that setup is that you have to wait for the HEMA to boot up just to use the camera.  I'm too impatient for that.
Do not PM me for technical advice - start a thread.
HDJ79 Ute - 100 Series Sahara - 2002 Kimberley Kamper - No ATS yet - Survivor of 5 McGirr trips-Cape 09,11,12,14 & Gulf 13

Offline jmorgan1981

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • It was that last beer!!!!
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2016, 08:03:21 PM »
I just put one of these in my NP Pajero.
https://www.jbhifi.com.au/gps-car-audio/vehicle-cameras/parkmate/parkmate-mcpk-43bg-mirror-mini-camera-pack/706496/

It is wired but was ok to install.
The only issue that I had was that the hole saw was a touch tight and when I tried to pull the camera out to ream the hole a bit more I snapped it in half. It cost me $50 for another camera from jaycar.

I installed the camera in the bumper, not sure if that was the right position in hindsight. Higher would of been far more beneficial. You can get ones that go into the number plate light but I was worried about it being off centre.

2017 Mazda BT-50 XT
2014 Kimberley Kamper LE

Offline S.W

• Swag User
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2016, 08:23:31 PM »
I have the mirror replacement type. The mirror was useless anyway with the gullwing canopy on the back. The one I have is http://www.brashimports.com.au/BI70a.htm. Can't fault his service either.

One camera high up on the canopy on all the time and another above the towbar for reverse.

Offline #jonesy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2016, 09:56:31 PM »
I installed the camera in the bumper, not sure if that was the right position in hindsight. Higher would of been far more beneficial. You can get ones that go into the number plate light but I was worried about it being off centre.
Mine is just above the number plate and off centre a bit (about number plate light area) being off centre isn't a problem, other than the bumper is off centre at the bottom of the screen. Otherwise I wouldn't notice
2013 Aussie Jays - Crusher      2013 Toyota Hilux. 

Offline #jonesy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2016, 10:12:17 PM »

eBay came up with some options
Pajero reverse camera

Comes up with number plate light + camera
Also camera switch to fit into dash
2013 Aussie Jays - Crusher      2013 Toyota Hilux. 

Offline RebsWA

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2016, 01:02:43 AM »
Each to their own.

I have two cameras on the cruiser, one sits up high on the tray and overlooks the rear.  This feeds to a screen that clips onto the rear view mirror.  The tray is generally full of crap so the view is blocked, I rely on that camera to see behind me and also check on the trailer.  Having the screen on the mirror means it is always easy to check it, I don't need to look down to see it.  I like that.  This camera and screen is always on.

The second camera is above the tow ball and the screen for it is in the double-din head unit in the dash.  This camera only comes on when reversing and I use it to line up the hitch onto the ball, which has saved my marriage more than once.

Only problem you have with that setup is that you have to wait for the HEMA to boot up just to use the camera.  I'm too impatient for that.

Having a screen on the mirror may suit (sizewise) as you use it as a rear vision aid when on the move and you do not have to look down at it. Fair enough.
But the OP was asking about reversing cameras so looking down is not really an issue and a larger screen, dash mounted or double DIN or whatever, is a better option for reversing, especially at night IMO. Just like you have.
You don't stop laughing because you grow old
You grow old because you stop laughing

2006 TD LandCruiser Troopy LX  -  2015 Jayco Starcraft Outback (a Caravan...)