Author Topic: How to stop condensation/moisture in the tool box?  (Read 17279 times)

Offline krisandkev

• Hard Floor Camper User
How to stop condensation/moisture in the tool box?
« on: January 20, 2011, 02:42:17 PM »
I have a large steel tool box on the front of our camper, on the draw bar, and it is a Modcon make camper.  I am having a lot of trouble with condensation in the tool box!   >:(  The tool box is sealed, so rain etc does not enter, but the condensation can get really bad.  We are just now starting to pack up for our next trip and when I opened the tool box there is mould on our storage bags. (tent pegs, ropes etc and portaloo carry bag)  Any suggestions on a quick fix?  Would a commercial moisture absorber (Hungry Hippo) work?   :angel: :police:

Kris and Kev
2008 TTD Landcruiser 200 GXL, Aust Off Road Camper, 20ft Bushtracker.

Offline baldheadedgit

• Hard Top Camper User
  • your shout.?.. I'll ave Arf.......!
Re: How to stop condensation/moisture in the tool box?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 03:20:49 PM »
sounds like something has been packed away damp.? take everthing out, dry completely and start again, make sure there is no where  for water to get in, you will be surprised where it sneaks in..

I packed my guy ropes and storage bag  away while it was wet,, boy  did i pay for it in the end..
try and get hold of some good sized bags of silica gell..

Poverty Pack.!

Offline Compass

• Swag User
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 04:13:23 PM »
Vinegar gets mould off walls and the like, and occasionally works on fabric. If the box has no leaks, the humidity must be coming from whatever has been place in there.  Just dry the contents out as much as you can then when you repack, pack a container of Damp Rid as well - works on closets and whole rooms so it should work in a toolbox.
Eric
2015 Toyota Prado
2012 Kimberley Kamper Platinum

Offline fitzyfootlong

• Tent User
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 04:31:18 PM »
I got a product at work called superdry, www.superdryers.com They use it in shipping containers and it works really good. Just the other week I had a heap of water go into my car from the rain, I soaked up as much as I could and put one of the 1.4kg superdry's in under the seat. Smell gone in 24hrs, completely dry in 3-4 days. Where you live? I got branched all over Aus. Just chuck one of these in there and no more condensation. You will have to replace every 6 months or so depending where you live and what's in there though..
Loving Life...

Offline JCAT

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Live for today, you may not be here tomorrow.
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 05:03:04 PM »
I also get moisture in my tool box from time to time and there wasn't anything wet inside the tool box, it is condensation.

You can try installing a breather/vent, similar to those used when you have a fridge in the tool box. (I am considering doing the same)

They are available from Marine shops.

2018 Prado GXL
2017 Vista Crossover XL

Offline baldheadedgit

• Hard Top Camper User
  • your shout.?.. I'll ave Arf.......!
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 05:20:42 PM »
Condensation, to my understanding , is water vapour,  and to get water vapour you need water. so therefore, you have a leak or something is damp and has been packed away..  if there is no leak and nothing has been put in there damp, then there is no ............... oh nevermind. ;D

Poverty Pack.!

Offline Campa

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2011, 05:33:28 PM »
Try this, http://www.damprid.com/index0aa6.html.  We use it in our shed to stop moisture and mould on all our camping equipment.  :D

Offline Jon

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Bringing rain to every campsite
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2011, 05:49:57 PM »
http://www.biasboating.com.au/c-268-vents.aspx

Choose your method of prevention.
I got a sweater for Xmas, really wanted a moaner or screamer.

Offline Crimso

• Tent User
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2011, 05:52:32 PM »
I also get moisture in my tool box from time to time and there wasn't anything wet inside the tool box, it is condensation.

You can try installing a breather/vent, similar to those used when you have a fridge in the tool box. (I am considering doing the same)

They are available from Marine shops.

I have an aluminium toolbox with a "chimney" type vent and still get condensation forming.

Condensation, to my understanding , is water vapour,  and to get water vapour you need water. so therefore, you have a leak or something is damp and has been packed away..  if there is no leak and nothing has been put in there damp, then there is no ............... oh nevermind. ;D

Just wondering if the 98% humidity along with a couple of "rain showers" :o we've had up here recently may have something to do with it. Quite warm & humid of a day, cools a bit at night & condensation forms.  ;) Maybe the vent is allowing the moisture into mine anyway. javascript:void(0);
http://www.myswag.org/gallery/d/19406-2/Burrum+Camp.jpg

Offline McGirr

• Cape York Tour Guide
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2011, 08:51:36 PM »
It might sound silly but leave the lid a jar so the moisture can escape. if you can. If the camper is in the sun you will get condensation build up inside the tool box. We had hire campers sitting in the sun with tool boxes and just left the lids ajar no problems and we have the tropical heat up here.

Mark
Living the dream working our way around Australia.

Ernabella SA, Warburton WA, Mt Barnett Roadhouse in the Kimberley, Peppimenarti NT, Ramingining NT, Gapuwiyak NT, Gunbalanya NT, Bidyadanga WA, Ali Curung NT, Tjuntjuntjara WA. 18 places

https://www.facebook.com/Working-and-Traveling-Australia

Offline Heiny

• "All who wander are not lost"
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2011, 09:10:21 PM »
Condensation, to my understanding , is water vapour,  and to get water vapour you need water. so therefore, you have a leak or something is damp and has been packed away..  if there is no leak and nothing has been put in there damp, then there is no ............... oh nevermind. ;D
NM Pajero GLS 3.2 DiD manual
2008 Jayco Flamingo Outback

Offline krisandkev

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2011, 08:30:09 AM »
Thanks for all replies and suggestions.  We don't store any water in the tool box, and the condensation is always under the lid when we open it.  We think we will put a vent in as suggested and try some of the damp rid products as well.  Thanks to all.  Kris and Kev
Kris and Kev
2008 TTD Landcruiser 200 GXL, Aust Off Road Camper, 20ft Bushtracker.

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2011, 10:53:21 AM »
You've got the wrong 4wd !!!!!!!   Buy a Patrol and the tool box will get used that often, it won't have a chance to get condensation in it ...... ;D ;D ;D ;D

Don't worry, I don't have a Toyota !!!!!!! ;D ;D
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline DAZnBEC

• THE MIGHTY MODCON!
  • Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2011, 06:25:51 PM »
It might sound silly but leave the lid a jar so the moisture can escape. if you can.

Mark

X2 We have a Modcon and don't have this problem. I live the lid a jar for that reason and it keeps the seals in better condition.

Dazza

Offline Juggs

• Swag User
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2011, 07:28:36 PM »
just need two different air temps to get condensation

if the box has a full fridge like seal to it when you close it say in the morning or night and its closed during the heat of the day you will get mositure

you can get a suprising amount of moisture from say 200l of air or more in some of the boxes

so you can get moisture in a box thats airtight with nothing moist inside it, need to vent the box but then you get dust and obviously its not water tight for water crossings

Offline Foo

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2011, 07:58:37 PM »
Buy a box of chalk and put a half a dozen sticks in and when they are damp pull them out and let dry in the sun!
So long as you have tried your best, you should have no regrets.