Author Topic: Some Brisbane residents complain....  (Read 16966 times)

Offline Troppo

• Soft Floor Camper User
Re: Some Brisbane residents complain....
« Reply #50 on: January 16, 2011, 09:59:22 AM »
The horror that so many are living through at the moment, it boggles the mind that some people are complaining of noise and army trucks. I think they seriously need help as their heads are not screwed on properly.

I would be happy for 100 army mogs to be parked outside my place. And even happier if only 99 were driven away  ;D. Would make an awesome off road recreational vehicle.

I like trekking about in my, um, Trackabout.

Offline Chippy76

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • :D
« Reply #51 on: January 16, 2011, 10:41:07 AM »
Troppo, they are a pretty mean off road rig, but like anything they do have their limits. Granted the limits are a lot further than most 4wds ... lol
Ill see If I can find some pics of the old army days ..

Cheers Chippy :D
"All ice is thin ...cross only when necessary" - Buck Tilton

Offline morgue

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #52 on: January 16, 2011, 03:45:50 PM »
I have just seen on the news that police are receiving complaints from some Brisbane residents about noise from overflying military helicopters and also complaints about Army trucks and vehicles being parked on their streets.  Are these people serious??  Do we really have these sort of oxygen thieves amongst us??

Unbelievable!

Another media beat up, need more ratings, sells more papers...but this happens, people do complain, especially when they are under stress and angry...they are angry at the situation..one day all shining, next out on the street in amongst the debris... all your earthy posessions in a heap of wet rotting crap...but at least you and your family are alive.
Being an ex SES member, we coped a bit of abuse, people cope with stress in different ways...
You can't please all the people all the time.

Offline Robbo

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Put another banger on the barbie
« Reply #53 on: January 16, 2011, 05:27:32 PM »
The funny thing is the so called whingers might be and probably are totally innocent. I dont have respect for the media and I usually always suspect a beat up.

Journo to householder; how are you coping with the chopper noise, as 1 flys over head.

Householder; yeah they are pretty loud, bit hard to sleep etc etc.

Journo back at office; Resident Whinge at Chopper Noise.

The media feed on peoples suffering and anything for a headline.

+1 to that

Offline Sharky

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • AORC - Odyssey Export
« Reply #54 on: January 16, 2011, 09:43:58 PM »
As to the winge about aircraft noise..."Here's Your Sign"... ::) (would someone have actually rung officials to complain about this? Or has it just been something that someone heard?)

I've been flying Sea King's out of RAAF Amberley alongside Blackhawks and Kiowas and a Chinook since last Tuesday and I can confirm that there have been noise complaints. Fortunately we have been shielded from these by those higher up who know what is really happening inthe Lockyer Valley. Truth is that from Wed to Friday we were tasked to "saturate" the Lockyer Valley with Rotary Wing Air to conduct search and support operations. These search operations are ongoing and we are working closely with QLD Police and emergency services to achieve what is a monumental task.

The scale of this tragedy is huge and having walked the ground in Grantham over the past couple of days I can tell you that it wont be over for a while yet. The ADF are doing some brilliant work in horendous conditions alongside the QPS. We don't do it for any profit or glory - we do it because we have the tools and skills and because the work really matters for those who have been impacted by these floods.

We get complaints every now and then but they are all outweighed by simple gestures, like the lady in the cue at the Roma Woolworths the other day who let me go ahead of here in the line despite us having about the same amount of shopping. I was in uniform and said that I was in no hurry and that she should go first. She just said "That's ok - you guys are doing some great work". Or the guy I passed in the Yamanto Shoping centre yesterday who looked at me, smilled, nodded and said "good on ya mate". It's humbling and makes the noise from the whingers almost inaudible.

If you have a moment - spare a thought for the Police and Soldiers crawling through thick mud searching for bodies - I cannot think of worse work at the moment - and I haven't heard a single complaint. Forget the whingers, think about these people - they matter.

Sharky
LC105 & AORC - Odyssey Export

Offline farmer6

• Tent User
« Reply #55 on: January 17, 2011, 05:59:47 AM »

Thanks for everything your doing Sharky. Its the top blokes like yourself and others that should get all our support and remember that the things you do give strengh to other people. I know that one of the things that helps me is hearing stories like yours.

farmer6
2006 100 series landcruiser wagon

2010 Jimboomba Camper

Offline Duchess

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • "Its not as hard as you think, you know."
« Reply #56 on: January 17, 2011, 07:33:33 AM »
Sharky, thanks so much for checking in and telling us your side of the story. I know what you're talking about when people do things like that to you when in uniform, I've been on the receiving end of such gratitude as well and I agree, it is humbling.

I think that the job that the ADF and EMS along with the police are doing is a monumental task and every single person involved with either search and rescue to clean up should be justifiably proud of being an Australian. Even just sitting here watching all that is going on up there, I am proud to be an Aussie at this time.

"I've got one job on this ship. It's stupid but I'm going to do it!"

www.duchessandthedukeontour.blogspot.com.au

Offline 2 Brutal

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #57 on: January 17, 2011, 08:03:38 AM »
Hi Sharky.
Where has the Chinook come from for the help, is it an Aussie 1. I thought the ADF scrapped them years ago due to massive running costs in favour of the Black Hawkes.

they are an awesome bit of gear, a sight to be seen.
To you and your ADF mates, top job, and to everybody else you are doing the nation proud.
We learnt over the weekend that 2 families we know lost everything in Emerald, and we were lucky enough to be able to assist 1 family now living in a tent, they were here visiting another family member to get the kids out of Emerald for a bit.
So now instead of sitting on an esky, they have an outdoor setting, something to cook on, the young kids have some toys to play with. No doubt they'll pass a few of the toys around when they get home as well as there are plenty more like them unfortunately. :'(
Custom made stone guards and boat loaders for Jayco Outbacks and more.

Offline mr_cougar79

• Tent User
    • facebook
« Reply #58 on: January 17, 2011, 04:13:28 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VcLa76pUj8&feature=player_embedded#!
  i just want to add this site aswell also in regards to QLD floods...
Name:Matt (VK2ZMT)
2003 HZJ105 GXL 4.2 DTS Turbo Diesel cruiser,2"OME lift,285 Cooper ST Maxx's, .Tough Country Camper (Ex Rental),

Offline Chippy76

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #59 on: January 17, 2011, 05:36:21 PM »
Hi Sharky.
Where has the Chinook come from for the help, is it an Aussie 1. I thought the ADF scrapped them years ago due to massive running costs in favour of the Black Hawkes.

The chinooks were upgraded and reinstanted a few years back.  They have been flying missions in afganistan with them.  They are any amazing aircraft, but have you seen the capabilities of the C17s? AWESOME!

Offline oldturtle22

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #60 on: January 17, 2011, 06:19:32 PM »

C Squadron, 5th Aviation Regiment, in Townsville.

No way! The Chinook fulfills a different role to the Blackhawk, can carry heavier internal and external loads, fly further. etc, great workhorse.

Offline Sharky

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • AORC - Odyssey Export
« Reply #61 on: January 17, 2011, 07:45:28 PM »
Hey guys, Thanks for the comments. Yep the CH-47 has been back with the ADF for a number of years. We traded the old Ch-47 C's and bought 4 CH-47D's - They're a fantastic machine and bring a whole new meaning to heavy lift!

They were used yesterday to lift a car out of the river bed adjacent to teh Grantham railway bridge. It wa a Forester which doesn't weigh too much on the road. This one was full of silt and mud and weighed in at over 8500lbs. That's over 3800kgs. The Chinook is the only helo in SE QLD that can lift that weight.

Chippy, we are operating just up from teh C-17 SQN - you're right - They're a brilliant bit of kit!

Cheers
Sharky
LC105 & AORC - Odyssey Export

Offline Chippy76

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #62 on: January 17, 2011, 07:57:56 PM »
*thumbs up* top work!

Offline Phantomxr8

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #63 on: January 18, 2011, 11:28:06 AM »
Hey guys, Thanks for the comments. Yep the CH-47 has been back with the ADF for a number of years. We traded the old Ch-47 C's and bought 4 CH-47D's - They're a fantastic machine and bring a whole new meaning to heavy lift!

They were used yesterday to lift a car out of the river bed adjacent to teh Grantham railway bridge. It wa a Forester which doesn't weigh too much on the road. This one was full of silt and mud and weighed in at over 8500lbs. That's over 3800kgs. The Chinook is the only helo in SE QLD that can lift that weight.

Chippy, we are operating just up from teh C-17 SQN - you're right - They're a brilliant bit of kit!

Cheers

Gday mate,
I have worked at 5 Avn so feel I can comment on this. We never got rid of the chooks, we have 6 x CH-47D choppers and there are 3 x CH-47F orderd that should be in aus this year with another 3 in the future. Im currently in Afghanistan and have worked with the Fs which are a great bit of kit. And as for what your saying about there lifting abilities I more than agree seeing them lift a damaged Chook with another really is a sight to see.
Keep up the great work guys your doing us all proud :cheers:

Offline Bubbles

• Swag User
  • Enjoy life cause your a long time died.
« Reply #64 on: January 18, 2011, 12:13:49 PM »
It never ceases to amaze me that people can be nasty, inconsiderate and selfish to others. If their house or property was in danger they would be the first to demand something be done for them.
I have friends around Amberely (Between Toowoomba and Ipswich, Qld) and they were one of the lucky ones. But they are doing their part for the country, as they to, are in the military (RAAF). Now days because all military services wear the camouflage uniform everyone thinks its only the Army doing the work, but its all three services pitching in.

At the Jets game on Sunday, they were collecting money to help QLD flood victims. Aussies always help each other out and its great to see.

Jen