Author Topic: Bullfrog, you OK?  (Read 4419 times)

Offline toad

• Soft Floor Camper User
Bullfrog, you OK?
« on: January 13, 2011, 02:55:36 PM »
 It's good to hear flood waters are subsiding in Quensland, but what is happening further south? There seems to be little coverage of the situation in northern NSW.

Bevan, how are things up your way in Grafton?
Hope you, Mrs Bullfrog and the tadpoles are safe and well!
cheers
Gary
2009 Cruiser 200 TTD
2007 Navara D40 2.5TD - wife's shopping trolley
2014 AOR Quantum

Offline MarkGU

• Proud Variety Basher
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Sorry, did i offend you with my Common Sense?
    • Everyday Hero
Re: Bullfrog, you OK?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2011, 04:39:56 PM »
they are high up on south hill Toad......reckon he could  be partaking in the usual evening ritual of fluid intake right about now........and nothing to to with flood water either  ;D
99'Gu 4.2 Patrol.
2004 Jayco Outback Swan

https://www.fuelly.com/driver/markgu/patrol?fu=5470975

Offline Duchess

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • "Its not as hard as you think, you know."
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2011, 04:48:20 PM »
It's the Hemi's I'm wondering about.

"I've got one job on this ship. It's stupid but I'm going to do it!"

www.duchessandthedukeontour.blogspot.com.au

Offline MarkGU

• Proud Variety Basher
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Sorry, did i offend you with my Common Sense?
    • Everyday Hero
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2011, 05:00:12 PM »
It's the Hemi's I'm wondering about.
Duchess

reckon he would be doing  the exact same thing too  :D

where Hmi lives is out near the golf club high up so they will be fine. me thinks that Golf club will be his 2nd home.
99'Gu 4.2 Patrol.
2004 Jayco Outback Swan

https://www.fuelly.com/driver/markgu/patrol?fu=5470975

Offline bullfrog

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2011, 05:55:32 PM »
Gday Gary & Deb
Thanks for the thought of checking on us up here on the Clarence, but I thought you would know that water doesn't worry us amphibians  ;D
All is good with Grafton, the town is well protected by the levee system. The levee is sposed to be good for 8.0m ( some say 8.2m). I went down to the Fry St boat ramp for a look mid arvo yesterday, river was reported as 7.65-7.7m & there was one Besser block ( wall here is made from concrete Besser blocks ) left above the water level. This area is a known low spot, I think at 8.0m it would overtop the wall there easily.The river can vary by about .5m from the Prince St recorder (main one people take any notice of) to the Fry St marker, but at that time of day with the river still rising, I was pretty happy about living up on the hill in Sth Grafton (we're not that from the Golf club if you know Grafton). Sth Grafton is now protected by a levee ( been built for about 10-15 yrs, so not new), you drive up & over it on the Pacific Hwy near Bunnings as you come in from the North. The low parts of the Southside would flood fairly early, cutting of the X roads ( Pacific /Gwyder Hwy intersection area), so no driving over to the Northside of town.The down side of keeping all of this water out of South is it has to go somewhere, hence towns like Ulmarra, Brushgrove, Cowper & Maclean now get more water sent downstream towards them & seem to get a higher peak than "the good ol days " for the same sort of peak in Grafton, if you get my meaning. Just the same, I think it's not a matter of if, but when our number comes up. A flood of 8.0m + would be very interesting.....  :cheers: Bevan.
PS.... Bloody woman has left me to go shopping (better bring back my "flood rations" hehe), will sort out some floood pics when she gets back. :cheers:
GQ 4.2d;usual off road goodies;h/made fridge slide /roller draw system;cago barriersetc. Tows a '06 trackabout deluxe tourer with some safari options.

Offline bullfrog

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2011, 05:56:51 PM »
Nav,
 Yes I was & I bet he is. :cheers:
GQ 4.2d;usual off road goodies;h/made fridge slide /roller draw system;cago barriersetc. Tows a '06 trackabout deluxe tourer with some safari options.

Offline Gunna Do

• "To Infinity and Beyond"
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2011, 06:19:46 PM »
Good to hear you didn't have any problems mate.  I was a little concerned.

Offline bullfrog

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2011, 06:28:37 PM »
Gday Gaz,
 All good thanks mate, it's the poor buggers downstream that cop it now.  :cheers:

Offline Snow

• Follow me, I'll be right behind you.
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2011, 06:31:26 PM »
Good to see all is well up in Frog Hollow. You lot are a plucky bunch and I wish the communities there a speedy process back to normality.  :cheers:
A vision without action is a dillusion

The Snowmobile: 2017 Ford Everest Trend with heaps of fruit
The Snowcave: 2023 Austrack Tanami X13
2008 Cub Supamatic XTD

Offline bullfrog

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2011, 08:30:12 PM »
Gday Snow,
 thanks for the thoughts, all good mate.
If I may, a couple of bits of info that may be of interest to swaggers who may not even of heard of this Clarence River place...
 The Clarence is a BIG system, I remember from school being told it was the biggest on the Eastern seaboard,
Grafton was the first city on the north coast of NSW,
The headwaters of the Clarence start in QLD, tributaries more or less take care of a large chuck of the country from the boarder to about Dorrigo & east of the Great Divide,these feeders are fair rivers in their own right,
What all this dribble means is that we usually get something that the poor buggers in QLD didn't get, that is time & warning. We don't really get "flash floods" in Grafton, takes about 2 days for water from the border to come down, it also takes a lot of water to fill the system to flood point.Living in a river valley means living with floods, it's just the way it is. From this, the residents of the Clarence have learnt what to be worried about & what we can get away with. Sure, we dodged a bullet again. but to think that we can't get wet is like sticking you head in the sand. It will happen one day. The Clarence was lucky, QLD was not.
I don't want to sound like a smart ar$e, or to make light of the flood situation, just share some info on our area. There is no such thing as a " good " flood. People have died, doesn't get much more serious than that.....

Offline singo-26

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Gone bush permanently!
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2011, 09:52:01 PM »
Good to hear you and the other Myswaggers are ok up there.
Sorry about the warped humour, But did anyone else see the funny side of a Toad asking a Bullfrog if he is ok with the water. Not trying to make light of a terrible disaster.
Steve

2001 HZJ105 and a custom rearfold softfloor.

Offline bullfrog

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2011, 09:57:38 PM »
We both must be a bit sick Steve, I had a little chuckle as well. I was going to say that the water was a bit more than knee deep, knee deep  ;D

Offline singo-26

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Gone bush permanently!
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2011, 10:03:34 PM »
 :cup: :cheers:
Steve

2001 HZJ105 and a custom rearfold softfloor.

Offline HEM19X

• Hard Top Camper User
  • If I agree with you, then we would both be wrong!
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2011, 02:08:08 PM »
Bevan,

Thanks for the call last night but missed you as we were "across the road"...if you can guess where, you can have a drink.

Duchess, thanks for your thoughts and provided the Beer truck can get in soon, we should be right...I would hate to have to start drinking XXXX!!!!

Hem
2019 BT50 with custom canopy and lots of fruit. Towing a 2014 Lotus Freelander [welcome to the dark side]

Offline Duchess

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2011, 09:40:19 PM »
Mate, if it gets that bad, I know some friends with helicopters, they're based over at Coffs, I'll get them to bring beer...good beer not that stuff made from four eggs... :cheers:

Offline Tadpole

• Swag User
  • Offsider to Bullfrog
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2011, 06:15:14 PM »
Hey All

Well I have been told that  :worthles: and that I have to put some photos up...
haven't taken too many but the ones that we did take are below...
So now can I get out of the bad books....one day I am going to show him how to add photos......one day....... >:D

:cheers:
Judy
I wanna go camping.......:}

Offline Duchess

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2011, 08:36:35 PM »
Great shots, Judy!

Hmm...the campsite did get a bit wet didn't it!  :o