Author Topic: using generators at campsite  (Read 43220 times)

Offline feisty

• Hard Floor Camper User
Re: using generators at campsite
« Reply #125 on: July 02, 2014, 09:03:34 PM »
Carried a honda genie for a year but was too embarrassed to use it. After putting up with other generator users realised that if I needed a genie I was doing it wrong without respecting others as I would hope they would respect me.  Those who free camp in the one spot for three months abusing the privilege whilst annoying the crap out of all and sundry shoud go and......... find another place.
Feisty
Sahara 100TD & Pioneer Argyle

Offline lyn4680

• Swag User
« Reply #126 on: July 02, 2014, 09:23:03 PM »

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Offline Big Damo

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • I work only for the holidays
« Reply #127 on: July 03, 2014, 07:37:55 PM »
Forget generators , try camping next to someone who snores their head off  ;D

Do you knock on their tent door and say shut up  ;D

Mark
no one plans to snore at night but starting up a genny is a conscious decision
Damo

XR6 and Lifestyle Extenda Elite

Offline oldmate

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #128 on: July 03, 2014, 07:56:18 PM »

I liked the bit about being told to harden up by a bunch of dills using electric blankets.
Pot...... kettle......... black.

:cup: x :cup:
Our Blog. A work in progress
https://www.facebook.com/UltimateAdventuresBlog/

Offline Big Damo

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • I work only for the holidays
« Reply #129 on: July 03, 2014, 07:58:35 PM »
We (well my wife) are guilty in using a geni at 0400 in the morning as she was freezing cold. Cut along story short there were 5 people in swags on the next campsite, that got in late that night. When they got out in the morning, they began to get coffee underway. Before they could light their gas stove I walked over to them with 5 fresh cappuccinos.

They were so happy after telling them my daughter got our doona as she was cold, which left my wife freezing so I had to put the electric heater on.
:cup:
Should be standard policy for anybody starting up a generator early in the morning to provide café quality coffee for all those putting up with the noise
 :cheers:
Damo

XR6 and Lifestyle Extenda Elite

Offline steppenwolf

• Swag User
« Reply #130 on: July 03, 2014, 09:54:25 PM »
Sorry Barnray, a medical condition does not give you 'entitlement' to running a generator 24/7 in National Parks.
Spot on mate. A medical condition - this is a grey-haired person with sleep apnoea and diabetes  talking here - means you are entitles to one thing first. It's this - you're entitled to spend your camping $$$ on enough solar panels and batteries to fix your needs. After that, maybe time to wind the personal entitlement meter back a bit. After all, we all come equipped with one, no need to think we're unique there.

Offline feisty

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #131 on: July 03, 2014, 09:59:36 PM »
Spot on mate. A medical condition - this is a grey-haired person with sleep apnoea and diabetes  talking here - means you are entitles to one thing first. It's this - you're entitled to spend your camping $$$ on enough solar panels and batteries to fix your needs. After that, maybe time to wind the personal entitlement meter back a bit. After all, we all come equipped with one, no need to think we're unique there.
Hear hear. Well said.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 10:01:09 PM by feisty »
Feisty

Offline Coiled

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #132 on: July 04, 2014, 02:12:25 PM »
I have used Genie's over the years when we have camped well away from others and for an annual boys trip that no one would want to be within cooee of anyway noting that we clean up properly before leaving.

I recently inherited/borrowed my fathers redundant Yamaha and have rarely used it mostly because I generally don't need to and I find it embarrassing.

I have however started to use it as we have had a couple of trips lately where running the diesel heater and the inverter to power my fathers sleep apnea machine in his nearby tent along with lights and fridge/freezer and combined with rain and very overcast conditions has seen the battery levels get very low after a couple days despite 150 useable amps and 320w of solar. In these situations I have tried to wait until other campers have set off for the day or keep it limited to use between 9-4 and only for a max of 4 hours to charge up to 100%. I also try to direct the exhaust away from others even if it means it is facing directly at us.

I think my above approach above is reasonable and I certainly like the suggestion of asking others first or offering a charge if they need it.
2013 Nissan Patrol Y61
2015 Kimberley Karavan Eco Suite

Offline SteveandViv

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Never get sick of being here
    • Our Travel Blog - Have a look....
« Reply #133 on: July 04, 2014, 02:43:22 PM »
I found it handy to need to tune the chainsaw early one morning after having to put up with a bunch of Genny using folk (All Night) while out the back of Lithgow (newnes). Mind you, once some one decided we all needed to listen to them playing bagpipes at 6am -  >:(
http://steveandviv.blogspot.com.au/

Offline MDS69

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #134 on: July 04, 2014, 03:53:47 PM »
I don't have one but there is nothing wrong with using generators if you are respectful of others ie don't run them all day and definitely after 5.00pm.
It appears everyone here who admits to using one are respectful.

Offline Bullant4x4

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #135 on: July 04, 2014, 04:42:30 PM »
I think I would prefer to sit next to an eu30is than a drunken mob of "Caring Understanding Ninety Types" shouting tequila  :cheers: all night?

Hang on, they say you must love yourself before someone can love you? So I retract my last comment lol  ;D TEQUILA

Offline Ynot

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Tony. Prado 150 GXL, Coromal 632RTP
« Reply #136 on: July 04, 2014, 07:28:41 PM »
If you sneak over and switch them off make sure you put the switch back into the run position after it stops.
If you are lucky you get them checking fuel and if you do it a few times the jackpot is when they pull the spark plug out!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
How is education supposed to make me feel smarter? Besides, every time I learn something new, it pushes some old stuff out of my brain. Remember when I took that home winemaking course, and I forgot how to drive?  (Homer J Simpson).

Offline Snapman007

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Beer
« Reply #137 on: July 04, 2014, 08:13:40 PM »

I don't think he meant that he runs his 24/7 when he's camping. I understood it "as I'm ALLOWED to use it 24/7 but use consideration."
I hope I'm wright or maybe my ship sailed early. :cheers:
Cheers,
Paul

2003 V8 Sahara
2010 Lifestyle Extenda Elite
Great haircut

Offline grafy82

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #138 on: July 04, 2014, 09:42:36 PM »
Well he can't cause Mr Abbott said the age of entitlement is over  ;D
My Trailer Build
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=16864.0

You can't believe everything you read on the Internet. - Julius Caesar

Offline barnray

• "The Road to my Horizon"
  • Soft Floor Camper User
  • The Start Of My Trailer
« Reply #139 on: July 04, 2014, 10:22:10 PM »
I don't think he meant that he runs his 24/7 when he's camping. I understood it "as I'm ALLOWED to use it 24/7 but use consideration."
I hope I'm wright or maybe my ship sailed early. :cheers:
I am allowed to use 24/7 and I do use consideration, I also have solar (160watts) and 240watts of battery and a car alternator and all jokes aside I could run the car and not be penalised. But the sun hides behind clouds and it rains and batteries go flat so when all else fail;s I will use a geny (eu20) and if you turn it off !!!!!!!!! watch out. B

Offline grafy82

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #140 on: July 04, 2014, 10:52:38 PM »
I am allowed to use 24/7 and I do use consideration, I also have solar (160watts) and 240watts of battery and a car alternator and all jokes aside I could run the car and not be penalised. But the sun hides behind clouds and it rains and batteries go flat so when all else fail;s I will use a geny (eu20) and if you turn it off !!!!!!!!! watch out. B

Settle down champ. No need for threats. No one on here would want to cause you harm or discomfort when you have legitimate medical issues. If someone asked you to turn it off, I'm sure you could explain your situation in a civilised manner and they would be fine with that.
  Ain't it funny how we're all 10'2" and built like Arnold behind our keyboards.
My Trailer Build
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=16864.0

You can't believe everything you read on the Internet. - Julius Caesar

Offline The punter

• "avoiding grey nomads since 2011"
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #141 on: July 04, 2014, 11:20:35 PM »

So everyone else just has to suck it up huh?
13 FJ Cruiser
15 Lifestyle Reconn
1980 HJ45

Offline Bullant4x4

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #142 on: July 05, 2014, 06:58:56 AM »

I am allowed to use 24/7

I would just turn my music up that loud and start my chainsaw every 30min while shouting tequila every 5min, all night long that you would either turn it off or move on. And if it was after the 6/7 tequila I recon you would move on :) :D

Offline deepop

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Living the dream.
« Reply #143 on: July 05, 2014, 07:44:51 AM »
Consideration is the key!

By the way, who's making me espresso's in the morning?
Manual petrol 105 series 'cruiser.
Aust. trailers semi off road trailer with Southern Cross Canvas tent, water, gas, kitchen and other stuff.

Offline Malcolm Tugless

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Are we there yet ?
« Reply #144 on: July 05, 2014, 09:24:49 AM »
We must camp in the right places, I've never had an issue with excessive running of generators. Most people tend to run then for a couple of hours in the afternoon, and tend to be quite conscious of positioning them so as not to annoy the natives.

Most of our camping is coastal national parks, so maybe that why.

Offline Bullant4x4

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #145 on: July 05, 2014, 09:50:04 AM »
It's illegal to use a geni in a National Park.

Offline The punter

• "avoiding grey nomads since 2011"
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #146 on: July 05, 2014, 10:58:25 AM »
I think if you have a medical condition that means there could be an scenario where you need to run one 24/7 then you should either find a place which does not have other campers or use caravan parks with 240V. Claiming entitlement because you are crook is just selfish and inconsiderate.
13 FJ Cruiser
15 Lifestyle Reconn
1980 HJ45

Offline dazzler

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Power Power Power
using generators at campsite
« Reply #147 on: July 05, 2014, 11:07:48 AM »
I think if you have a medical condition that means there could be an scenario where you need to run one 24/7 then you should either find a place which does not have other campers or use caravan parks with 240V. Claiming entitlement because you are crook is just selfish and inconsiderate.

Bingo!

Part of the entitlement generation I am afraid.  The funny thing is many of the entitlement generation delight in slagging off young people as selfish..

Someone mentioned national parks earlier.  Now I remember why I love them so much.  No gens and no dogs and no chain saws.  Just camping.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 11:13:04 AM by dazzler »
My alternative to cheap import trailers;

http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=36094.msg578367#msg578367

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #148 on: July 05, 2014, 11:13:58 AM »
Quote from: The punter
x eleventybillionteen.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline feisty

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #149 on: July 05, 2014, 11:23:42 AM »
x eleventybillionteen.
I'll see your eleventybillionteen and raise you twenty eleven brazillion.

Just because you can do something does not make it right.....
Feisty