Author Topic: lesson learnt  (Read 1801 times)

Offline Craig Tomkinson

• Hard Top Camper User
lesson learnt
« on: June 10, 2018, 04:24:57 PM »
Hi all, I staked a Tyre on the 80 in the front yard after doing nearly 7000ks up the Cape and bank no troubles last year, So I had a new old tire my mate gave me,  got it put on it did around 5 months on the 4wd on the back no worries, Let it down up at Inskip to around 13psi to tow the boat out the spit did that for a few days Then went to drive into Rainbow for tucker and water and it did the side walls, No more old tires for me, Craig
1990 80 series 1HZ hill sniffer rebiult with 2 inch lift
1982 Jayco Jaylark  pop up van rebuilt
1999 5m Quintrex King on heavy duty offroad boat trailer
The following users thanked this post: archer63

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
Re: lesson learnt
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2018, 12:01:00 AM »
Not saying its the case here But Just a thought Craig, Before you did the run back into Rainbow, did you air up or stay at beach pressure ? .
A mate with a Cruiser loaded up had done the run from Fraser back to  Rainbow and then D.I. / Teewah back to Tewantin  at beach pressures a few times, Till he shredded a tyre similar to yours , The tyre mob found he had overheated the tyre, When checked  the other tyres  had all been heat damaged  inside as well ..
Like yours they wern't new either  though
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 12:04:46 AM by edz »
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline Jeepers Creepers

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2018, 05:32:18 AM »
Tyres these days seem to have a fairly limited shelf life compared to years gone by.

Really limited, if they've just been sitting around too.
I DON'T CARE HOW NICE THE HAND SOAP SMELLS.....

You should never walk out of the public toilets sniffing your fingers.

Offline Craig Tomkinson

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2018, 07:20:26 AM »
Hi edz, I have never had troubles before as I allways run new or near new tires on the 4wd I have done 5 trips to Penny near Weipa and run the 70 ks back to town and back dozens of times with the tires at around 14psi with no troubles at all, For the run back to Rainbow it was just on dark and cool the 4wd was empty, and I did not pump up my tires as I never do as my small compressor is that slow I only pump them up when leaving and off the sand and on the hard road, I think it was just the old tire when the tire mob fitted it they said it was 8 years old and I had to sign a waver as they can not fit them over 5 years old, Thats why I put it on the back incase I did have troubles but because it had been on there for months I had forgot about it, the side walls just shirt themself because it was let down that tire to 10psi as my tire gauge was playing up I pumped it back up in a few days but the damage was done to the old tire, Craig

Hi JC, yep you are right New tires for me now, Craig 
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 07:24:46 AM by Craig Tomkinson »
1990 80 series 1HZ hill sniffer rebiult with 2 inch lift
1982 Jayco Jaylark  pop up van rebuilt
1999 5m Quintrex King on heavy duty offroad boat trailer
The following users thanked this post: edz