Author Topic: Engal fridge freezer  (Read 2291 times)

Offline Craig Tomkinson

• Hard Top Camper User
Engal fridge freezer
« on: June 08, 2018, 02:25:33 PM »
Hi all, I borrowed a near new 45lt Engal for a couple of weeks off my mate great freezer but man they run all the time compared to my 100lt trailblazer, The Engal run for 5 to 7 minutes then shut down for around 5 to7 minutes then run again and just does it all night, were the traliblazer runs for 45 minutes then shuts down for 35 old minutes, Do not get me wrong frooze really well, But I had it in the van and it drove me mad for a few nights till i got use it, is that how everybody elses runs, Craig
1990 80 series 1HZ hill sniffer rebiult with 2 inch lift
1982 Jayco Jaylark  pop up van rebuilt
1999 5m Quintrex King on heavy duty offroad boat trailer

Offline S.W

• Swag User
Re: Engal fridge freezer
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2018, 03:55:36 PM »
Based on your figures, the Trailblazer has a duty cycle of 56%, the Engel's is 50% so total run time in a 24hr period is not that different.

I've never timed it, but my Engel cycles reasonably often so it sounds normal to me.
The following users thanked this post: Craig Tomkinson

Offline Bigfish

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2018, 04:21:16 PM »
Trailblazer also has much more insulation so I would expect it to not run as often as the engel.
Having lots of friends on farcebook is the same as having lots of money in monopoly...means absolutely nothing!!

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2018, 05:01:11 PM »
From memory our Waeco 50 lt  runs about every 10  minutes or so on the coldest freeze setting once everything is down to temp and our new  21 lt Engel is about the same  ..
As for noise they dont worry us as they live in the truck 24 / 7 on our holidays . Though the little Engel might find a home in the new camper [ When it gets built ] at some stage .
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline sharkcaver

• Soft Floor Camper User
    • My ramblings:
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2018, 05:43:55 PM »
I had both my engel and CFX50 running as freezers inside recently so we could defrost the house freezer. That was interesting because it showed me the differences between then.

I also found the same. The engel continued to run on and couldn't achieve -18 to allow it to cycle. The waeco got to temp quickly and cycled.

I knocked the thermostat on the engel back a smidge, and then it went into cycle mode. It didn't cycle like the waeco did, but I got it to cycle.

Also, cause it was inside the house, the noise of the engel was staggering at night. The waeco, whisper quiet.
An NX Paj, a D-Max and an Ultimate X-trk

http://sharkcaver.blogspot.com.au/

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoz71vk1CWl6lp6Tv3dXhkQ/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0

Offline Craig Tomkinson

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2018, 06:41:50 PM »
Thanks Gents, Oh well sounds like it was doing its thing then, Thats what I ended up doing after a week SC was turn the thermostat back at night it sat on about -3 and did not run as much, then though the day when we were not in the van turned it up again to 3/4, The best i seen it do flat out after it was shut for a few days was -14 in the same cool weather the trailblazer would of got down to -18 to 20 in the same time in the van it mite be just as noisy to as i have a computer fan blowing air down over the compreesor, Craig

Offline archer63

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Live For Today
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2018, 07:06:58 PM »
Can't comment on the Engel Craig, but we have a Waeco CFX 50 and can also confirm it is whisper quiet.

Offline Craig Tomkinson

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2018, 07:29:10 PM »
Thanks Rob, They sound like a good fridge,  I was just being a sook, Craig
The following users thanked this post: archer63

Offline sharkcaver

• Soft Floor Camper User
    • My ramblings:
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2018, 10:39:54 PM »
And when the old chestnut of which fridge Engel or Waeco comes up and I state in my belief the Waeco is better, the engel is old, outdated and not up with the times (we wont mention the crappy handles that look like a home made squashed tube in a vice job), people get offended - engel goggles.

I'm not saying the engel isn't a good fridge - I own one (and the CFX50) - but run both side by side for a bit and you get to see a perspective some others will never see.

At full roar, my engel got to -17 (pre packed with frozen product from the home freezer). Just backing it off that touch didn't affect the temperature (still -17), but allowed it to cycle. Mind you it still ran about twice as long as the waeco before it cycled.

As for turning it down at night, I guess it all depends on what you have in there and how long you are storing it for. You wouldn't want ice cream at -3 and you wouldn't need meat to be consumed in a week at -18.
An NX Paj, a D-Max and an Ultimate X-trk

http://sharkcaver.blogspot.com.au/

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoz71vk1CWl6lp6Tv3dXhkQ/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0

Offline lloydus67

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2018, 11:36:56 PM »
Engles are relatively simple and very reliable, as with many older technology’s
I have 3 waeco’s and a 3 way fridge
The weaves are way better on 12v but not so reliable.
I have replaced the thermostat on the small 30l with an Engle one, while it works great the on / off band is much wider. The waeco cycles at about 4-5 degrees, the Engle is more like 8-10 degrees between on and off.
At the end of the day it still works well I just need to adjust my settings differently to the waeco thermostats
Lloyd

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Craig Tomkinson

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2018, 04:23:16 PM »
Yep I here you SC we did not have icecream in there, But the frozen fish stayed frozen no worries, the 45lt was a great size but I mite have to buy a freezer that size one day, Craig

So true LIoyd as long as the work hey, The only rezone I did not take my trailblazer it uses a lot more power, Craig