Author Topic: What did you do in your shed / man cave today?  (Read 1755635 times)

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: What did you do in your shed / man cave today?
« Reply #6225 on: May 07, 2021, 08:09:38 AM »
Ordered some flash " Blue " lit Voltage and Temperature  displays from Virus land, Yeah Yeah buy Aussie and all that, I would if Aussies built the stuff and it was a decent $$ .. And some Computer fans to pull hot air out of the compressor compartments of the Waeco and little Engel ..
 But I refuse to pay an Aussie premium to some bloke who got the same product from virus land ..The same as I can .

How long did they take to get here, Ed ???

I just picked up 3 switches from Jaycar - 1 rocker to replace a light switch that has apparently died & 2 70° normally open switches to turn the fridge exhaust fan on - one to run & one spare, as they appear to have a fairly short life ???

Playing with them yesterday & it appears the rocker & one of the N-O switches are both DOA ... :'( >:(

Anyway  Red is usualy + positive  and Black usualy - Negative with 12v stuff or so I thought and worked fine that way on the computer fans .....

You obviously didn't read my van thread about the joys of wire colours! ::) ;D
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #6226 on: May 07, 2021, 01:28:42 PM »
Ordered them on  29th March out of Virus Land and arrived roughly  30 April . Fizz .
Bit chuffed with how the two fridge looms turned out .. Probably equal standard to a junior highschool kid doing work exprience for the first time .. But good for me ..
« Last Edit: May 07, 2021, 01:41:08 PM by edz »
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "
The following users thanked this post: Fizzie

Offline Marcus73

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #6227 on: May 08, 2021, 07:44:06 PM »
Playing auto electrician tonight .. I hates wires, but it has to be done ..
Ordered some flash " Blue " lit Voltage and Temperature  displays from Virus land, Yeah Yeah buy Aussie and all that, I would if Aussies built the stuff and it was a decent $$ .. And some Computer fans to pull hot air out of the compressor compartments of the Waeco and little Engel ..
 But I refuse to pay an Aussie premium to some bloke who got the same product from virus land ..The same as I can .
Anyway  Red is usualy + positive  and Black usualy - Negative with 12v stuff or so I thought and worked fine that way on the computer fans .....
But some little Chink must be a bit Dislexic .. Scratching the head thinking the bloody Voltage and Temp displays must be buggered as they would not work . Then a random What if they pinned the output leads back to front thought crept into the noggin ...
Bingo all displays are now working   Phewww ..   I hates wires     .... Bloody dodgy aut elecs .(mod edit)
You spelt dyslexic wrong

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6228 on: May 09, 2021, 12:59:54 PM »
Committed a tidiness upon it (or at least the bench) :o

Who knows, it may even stay that way for a week or 2 ??? ;D

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6229 on: May 09, 2021, 10:34:14 PM »
You spelt dyslexic wrong

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Must have got something else wrong too if a Mod had to edit the post .. Cant for the life of me think what though ..  ???  All good must have needed it .

Offline Jeepers Creepers

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6230 on: May 10, 2021, 03:01:59 AM »

Must have got something else wrong too if a Mod had to edit the post .. Cant for the life of me think what though ..  ???  All good must have needed it .

Would be for calling the Chinese "chinks" would be the reason i'm guessing.... seeing that's the bit modded.
I DON'T CARE HOW NICE THE HAND SOAP SMELLS.....

You should never walk out of the public toilets sniffing your fingers.

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6231 on: May 10, 2021, 07:01:37 AM »
But some little Chink must be a bit Dislexic .. Scratching the head thinking the bloody Voltage and Temp displays must be buggered as they would not work . Then a random What if they pinned the output leads back to front thought crept into the noggin ...

Going back to this ...

Playing in the van over the weekend, & I thought let's check out the DVD player, which we've never been able to get working.

Read the book (see, everything else had failed! :-[) & look at the label on the side of the TV, both of which say "Insert the disk with the shiny side facing away from you, towards the back of the TV". Try a couple of different disks & no go - it can't read them, so spits them back out ??? :'(

Just about to give up in disgust & had a lightbulb moment - let's just see what happens if you put the disk in the other way around, so that the shiny side is facing you ???

Success! ;D :cup:

So I don't know if somebody installed the DVD unit back to front, or two sets of instructions are both wrong ???, but at least we can now watch movies if it's raining, or too hot, outside! ;D

The following users thanked this post: edz

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6232 on: May 10, 2021, 07:50:11 AM »
 :-X :-X :-X   ::)   8);D

Offline #jonesy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #6233 on: May 10, 2021, 08:26:27 AM »
The 3 TV units I have you put the shiny side facing you,  I think the instructions refer to the label away from you/rear of TV
2013 Aussie Jays - Crusher      2013 Toyota Hilux. 

Offline plusnq

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6234 on: May 10, 2021, 08:45:19 AM »
Going back to this ...

Playing in the van over the weekend, & I thought let's check out the DVD player, which we've never been able to get working.

Read the book (see, everything else had failed! :-[) & look at the label on the side of the TV, both of which say "Insert the disk with the shiny side facing away from you, towards the back of the TV". Try a couple of different disks & no go - it can't read them, so spits them back out ??? :'(

Just about to give up in disgust & had a lightbulb moment - let's just see what happens if you put the disk in the other way around, so that the shiny side is facing you ???

Success! ;D :cup:

So I don't know if somebody installed the DVD unit back to front, or two sets of instructions are both wrong ???, but at least we can now watch movies if it's raining, or too hot, outside! ;D

Did you have the TV facing the right way ?  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6235 on: May 10, 2021, 08:59:39 AM »
Did you have the TV facing the right way ?  ;D ;D ;D ;D

That may be it, because the drawing in the book shows the DVD being loaded from the left side of the TV, but our DVD slot is on the right ??? ;D

However, that same drawing also shows all the controls on the front of the unit!

Offline MrCruza

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #6236 on: May 10, 2021, 11:37:17 AM »
That may be it, because the drawing in the book shows the DVD being loaded from the left side of the TV, but our DVD slot is on the right ??? ;D

However, that same drawing also shows all the controls on the front of the unit!

Chingerish  :)
Cheers, John.

'12 Cruiser
2020 NextGen Blackline

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6237 on: May 10, 2021, 12:35:10 PM »
Either that or built in Northern Hemisphere but being used in Southern, so everything goes backwards ;D

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6238 on: May 10, 2021, 05:43:17 PM »
I would have been totally confused......I thought the shiny side faces up !!...lol
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline bmwfreak

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • DunWerkin
« Reply #6239 on: May 13, 2021, 04:46:42 PM »
Made up a demountable frame for our 200w solar blanket. I was going to put more separating sections in the design, but reasoned that with a Troopy we’re not strapped for room and more joints introduce the likelihood of more flex. The 25x25x1.6 GTP RHS frame weighs 10kg, which is a bit on the heavy side, but my tube bender doesn’t like aluminium, so steel had to do.
We've waited 45 years to do this. Now our life will be complete!!
2019 LC78 (troopy)
2018 21’6” On The Move TRAXX Series 2

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6240 on: May 14, 2021, 07:17:52 AM »
Impressive! ;D

What capacity blanket, Beamer ???

Offline Steffo1

• Hard Top Camper User
  • More I learn about women, more I like my ute
« Reply #6241 on: May 14, 2021, 07:54:27 AM »
Impressive! ;D

What capacity blanket, Beamer ???

Just looking at it, Fizzie, my educated guess would be 200w.  :D
'93 4.2 TD 'Cruiser 'tilly
'08 TD V6 Disco 3
'10 16' Evernew Pop Top

"sit bonum tempora volvunt"

Offline bmwfreak

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • DunWerkin
« Reply #6242 on: May 14, 2021, 08:47:08 AM »
Just looking at it, Fizzie, my educated guess would be 200w.  :D
It is a 200w. BCF have them on special @ $299 (club price)
https://www.bcf.com.au/p/xtm-200w-folding-solar-blanket/578269.html
2019 LC78 (troopy)

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6243 on: May 14, 2021, 09:29:33 AM »
Made one of these but the ally flexed way too much, The one in the vid Would be ok with 3mm ally but realy does need a decent X brace to hold the center of the blanket out . ...
   Soo what I should have done [ What I am doing ] was used the Ally tube and bits I already had and made a better type as per the drawing, That just slides together      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wm5kNpH1gLE
« Last Edit: May 14, 2021, 09:31:37 AM by edz »

Offline bmwfreak

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • DunWerkin
« Reply #6244 on: May 14, 2021, 12:28:11 PM »
1:06 ‘I like to move my solar panels a couple of times an hour’

Nothing like the enjoyment of going camping to move your panels around every 30 mins, on average.

This is the temp one I made while away, when I bought the blanket. You’re correct EDZ, pvc flexes like plasticine, and the centre rail was a necessity, to hold it together. I didn’t bother to include a centre rail with the steel frame, from a structural perspective, but will add one to ‘stop the flop’ in the centre of the 3 row blanket.
2019 LC78 (troopy)

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6245 on: May 20, 2021, 09:11:19 PM »
Finaly got around to making drilling / fitting mounting brackets for the kings awning to the Rhino roof racks [ hand me down / swaps from a mate ] eye balled and wonky eyed them to sit about right where I wanted them [ Actualy put a tape on them to check distances and I'm 1mm out  ;D  ]... , Grab an Allen key to do them up and Nup !! 
Bloody Anti theft pattern  with a little post in the center .. [ didnt know about or get the Allen key with the hand me downs ] ..
Do the  Google thingy $18 >>> $30 but none local .. Bugger .. Wonder if a Torx  key will work ..Yaayyyy it does ..
Bolts supplied with the awning for the alley track need bigger heads or some sort of washer, they look to be almost falling out of the channel, So nixxed them ..
Bolt shop tomorrow  for some bigger stainless or what ever " T " bolts or Nuts or at the very least decent washers I can trim to fit the ally channel .
Cant complain " Cheap kings awning " got to expect its a bare minimum in the fit department . But it will do the job with a few minor mods . Better than the old blue tarp set up I normaly rig .
« Last Edit: May 20, 2021, 09:14:55 PM by edz »

Offline Raym

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #6246 on: May 20, 2021, 10:13:43 PM »
Finished this pair. The taller one at the back must have been a verandah horse at one stage. One side was badly weathered. One of the internal glue blocks had fallen of & was rattling around inside so I had to cut the chest open to glue the block in place.

Not sure I want to do any more restorations but it is hard to say no to families who have been trying to get them restored for years. 

Both made by Roebuck in Sydney.

Front one C1920s Rear one C1935 - 1942.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2021, 06:01:00 AM by Raym »

Offline lloydus67

• Hard Floor Camper User
What did you do in your shed / man cave today?
« Reply #6247 on: May 21, 2021, 04:55:36 AM »
Grab an Allen key to do them up and Nup !! 
Bloody Anti theft pattern  with a little post in the center .. [ didnt know about or get the Allen key with the hand me downs ] ..
Do the  Google thingy $18 >>> $30 but none local .. Bugger .. Wonder if a Torx  key will work ..Yaayyyy it does ..

Old mining trick, if it has a security pin, get a flat blade screwdriver that fits in the Allen key bolt head, lever off the pin. Voila regular Allen key fitting.
The torx fittings work for a few times, but then round off the edge and will no longer fit.
Lloyd

Sent from me
« Last Edit: May 21, 2021, 04:58:15 AM by lloydus67 »
The following users thanked this post: edz

Offline Pottsy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6248 on: May 21, 2021, 09:16:53 AM »
Finished this pair. The taller one at the back must have been a verandah horse at one stage. One side was badly weathered. One of the internal glue blocks had fallen of & was rattling around inside so I had to cut the chest open to glue the block in place.

Not sure I want to do any more restorations but it is hard to say no to families who have been trying to get them restored for years. 

Both made by Roebuck in Sydney.

Front one C1920s Rear one C1935 - 1942.

Beautiful, shame if you stopped doing the Renovations
if God had meant me to walk he wouldn't have invented 4wds! Mitsubishi Challenger Pc 2014 (Blondie)
Challange Meredien Offroad Walk Thru

Offline #jonesy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #6249 on: May 21, 2021, 05:54:29 PM »
Finaly got around to making drilling / fitting mounting brackets for the kings awning to the Rhino roof racks [ hand me down / swaps from a mate ] eye balled and wonky eyed them to sit about right where I wanted them [ Actualy put a tape on them to check distances and I'm 1mm out  ;D  ]... , Grab an Allen key to do them up and Nup !! 
Bolts supplied with the awning for the alley track need bigger heads or some sort of washer, they look to be almost falling out of the channel, So nixxed them ..
Bolt shop tomorrow  for some bigger stainless or what ever " T " bolts or Nuts or at the very least decent washers I can trim to fit the ally channel .
Cant complain " Cheap kings awning " got to expect its a bare minimum in the fit department . But it will do the job with a few minor mods . Better than the old blue tarp set up I normaly rig .

This is how I did my Kings on to Rhino.  Sorry photo 1 is dark.

I used the O bolt as it gives a handy tie down point. (Cheaper at Bunnings)  For the nuts underneath I used photo 2. They were from Rhino as some fitting set (sorry can't remember which one). But doing a quick google the fixing kit also has the tool.

2013 Aussie Jays - Crusher      2013 Toyota Hilux.