Author Topic: Remote controlled flying things-Quads, Hex, Octo or anything  (Read 673582 times)

Marschy

Offline Crisp Image

• Old enough to know better. Young enough to do it again!
  • Hard Floor Camper User
Re: Remote controlled flying things-Quads, Hex, Octo or anything
« Reply #201 on: March 26, 2014, 06:13:46 PM »

2008 Outback Sturt, 2010 Prado 150 D4D Tug

Offline GGV8Cruza

• The Cable Guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • If 1 turbo is good, 2 must be better. VK3GJG
« Reply #202 on: March 26, 2014, 06:46:48 PM »

The other option I've also looked at is the Blade 350QX.

I have been researching these and can get one from Metro hobbies which looks like a good deal, http://metrohobbies.com.au/radio-control/multi-rotors/rtf-bnf-and-arf/blade-350-qx-quadcopter-bnf.html

The only thing that worries me is that I have a hero 3 black and they are supposed to play up with the rf from the camera with the GPS lock. Still trying to work out if I really need one ;D

GG

Offline Crisp Image

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #203 on: March 26, 2014, 07:15:50 PM »

The only thing that worries me is that I have a hero 3 black and they are supposed to play up with the rf from the camera with the GPS lock. Still trying to work out if I really need one ;D

GG
You cant use the wireless out of the camera as it will interfere with the transmitter. dedicated video down link is required. Most of them are 5.8ghz and do not interfere with the 2.4ghz stuff.
And of  course you need one! >:D
Regards
Crispy

Offline GGV8Cruza

• The Cable Guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #204 on: March 26, 2014, 07:22:10 PM »
You cant use the wireless out of the camera as it will interfere with the transmitter. dedicated video down link is required. Most of them are 5.8ghz and do not interfere with the 2.4ghz stuff.
And of  course you need one! >:D
Regards
Crispy

Its not the wireless which is the problem, even the camera in standby looks to be a problem unless you shield the bottom of the copter of wrap the gopro in foil

GoPro Hero3 Black+ and Blade 350QX GPS Failure and FIX

GG

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
There's no Great Evil conspiracy against consumers within engineering, manufacturing and supply. Just the many tradeoffs incurred to satisfy diverse tastes, priorities and wallets. But first comes all the insatiable Gummint eggsperts, nanny-staters and usual suspects.

Offline oldmate

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #206 on: March 31, 2014, 05:48:12 AM »
That's some scary stuff right there.
Our Blog. A work in progress
https://www.facebook.com/UltimateAdventuresBlog/

Marschy

« Reply #207 on: March 31, 2014, 06:24:43 AM »
I fail to see what the incident in Newcastle has to do with a red neck video from YouTube. I seriously question the link between the two.

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #208 on: April 03, 2014, 07:16:04 PM »
That's some scary stuff right there.

Yeah, the bil sends them to me as we both shoot trap and some of his more chequered acquaintances keep him up to date with the 'latest and greatest'. I would imagine that domestic drone in the vid is nothing compared to the ones that make Osama's mates a whole lot more paranoid than the missus is around my shotgun  ;D   
There's no Great Evil conspiracy against consumers within engineering, manufacturing and supply. Just the many tradeoffs incurred to satisfy diverse tastes, priorities and wallets. But first comes all the insatiable Gummint eggsperts, nanny-staters and usual suspects.

Offline Mandrake

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Triple Vaxed and ready to go ANYWHERE ( please )
« Reply #209 on: April 03, 2014, 07:23:55 PM »
Wish this wind would die down during the day !!!  >:( >:( >:(
I'm trying to get out and learn to fly and film ... Can't do that with the Phantom buzzing wildly against the wind ... Not happy !!

BUT - I have managed to fit some extras to the copter -- I extended the landing gear to help prevent the fall over on landing - 2 bits of alum tube about 25mm longer than the
existing skids held on with nylon ties .. Also have mounted the twin battery shelves - still waiting on the twin batteries ... Fitted 9" props instead of the 8" it comes with to give
me a 20% increase in payload .. I've been reading and youtubing heaps of stuff ...

Anyone coming to knockwood will not have to duck and cringe in fear when I man the controls -- Nothing like the last effort !!

Pics coming soon ...

Mandrake
Going back to basics - sort of ...

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #210 on: April 03, 2014, 07:51:43 PM »
Yo'all drone folks with yer quads, hex, octo anythings would all be right welcome down at Big Sandy with the boys-
Machine Guns vs DRONES - Crazy!

Only in America would they ramp up the gentle art of trap and skeet like that. Crazy b's with too much dough.

Offline Crisp Image

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #211 on: April 04, 2014, 07:27:56 AM »
Wish this wind would die down during the day !!!  >:( >:( >:(
I'm trying to get out and learn to fly and film ... Can't do that with the Phantom buzzing wildly against the wind ... Not happy !!

Anyone coming to knockwood will not have to duck and cringe in fear when I man the controls -- Nothing like the last effort !!

Pics coming soon ...

Mandrake
I would have loved to go to Knockwood but alas I have to work that weekend.
The wind had been ok here. I even had my scratch built in the ait the other day.
Doing some checks and balances in my DJI today. Something is not quite right.
When you do fly the Phantom you will find it much easier than the cheep one you have. The flight controller has a far better brain in it.
Have fun with that.
Regards
Crispy

Offline Mandrake

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #212 on: April 04, 2014, 07:34:07 AM »
The flight controller has a far better brain in it.

Mate its got a better brain than mine !!!
The GPS thing is really good as long as you remember to do the home point thing before take off ... I'm dreading the day I forget and it tries to fly back to Wyndham Vale or the last home point !!

I know it works as I ran out of battery in the controller the other day - Phantom went straight up to 20m then made its way back to me and dropped slowly to land about 3 metres away ..

Can't wait for the gimbal to stop all the camera movement - But I gotta get out and learn how to fly really well before I try something like flying up a creek to a waterfall !!

Cheers

sTEVE

Offline Crisp Image

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #213 on: April 04, 2014, 07:37:58 AM »
Mate its got a better brain than mine !!!
The GPS thing is really good as long as you remember to do the home point thing before take off ... I'm dreading the day I forget and it tries to fly back to Wyndham Vale or the last home point !!

I know it works as I ran out of battery in the controller the other day - Phantom went straight up to 20m then made its way back to me and dropped slowly to land about 3 metres away ..

Can't wait for the gimbal to stop all the camera movement - But I gotta get out and learn how to fly really well before I try something like flying up a creek to a waterfall !!

Cheers

sTEVE
RTH is a great thing. Does the home point set automatically or is it something you have to do. Mine sets auto as soon as it has a GPS lock and it is not flying.
Hobbyking have a new 3D way gimbal for a reasonable price ($245USD) They look good. There are so many around now it is hard to choose.
Regards
Crispy

Marschy

« Reply #214 on: April 04, 2014, 07:41:02 AM »
The Tarot brushless gimbal on Hobbyking gets some good reviews. Really good price as well

Offline Mandrake

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #215 on: April 04, 2014, 07:42:50 AM »
yep its auto but you have to wait for the GPS to lock on - that can take a while and if you're in a hurry and take off before the GPS lock then the home point is the last one it locked in .I believe  that's one of the causes of the Phantom "flyaways" .. M

Marschy

« Reply #216 on: April 04, 2014, 07:46:16 AM »
After Easter, I'm going to get the HKPilot Mega 2.5.2 ArduPilot from HK. This flying by the seat of your pant's stuff is doin' my head in, not to mention landing gear and propellers.

Offline Mandrake

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #217 on: April 08, 2014, 03:11:18 PM »
Got my RC Tools and Gimbal today - so had a go at fitting gimbal to Phantom -- Hardest part was the rubber vibration dampers !! ..

But got it all done and working - Camera is not exactly level but I'll work on that a bit later -

Mandrake

Offline GGV8Cruza

• The Cable Guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #218 on: April 08, 2014, 03:39:31 PM »
Got my RC Tools and Gimbal today - so had a go at fitting gimbal to Phantom -- Hardest part was the rubber vibration dampers !! ..

But got it all done and working - Camera is not exactly level but I'll work on that a bit later -

Mandrake

Looks the goods, not that I have one yet but if the rubber grommets are the only thing holding the plates together on the gimble I have seen most people put a loose cable tie through the middle to make sure there is no separation during flying or landing, soft or hard  >:D

GG

Offline Mandrake

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #219 on: April 08, 2014, 04:35:15 PM »
I saw that on one of the Youtube vids - makes sense - not that my camera is a Hero Black 3 but all the same I'd rather not drop it from a great height ...
Macca could be underneath  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Marschy

« Reply #220 on: April 08, 2014, 04:38:00 PM »
Just add a bucket load of trim to your aileron, you'll be fine.  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Mandrake

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #221 on: April 08, 2014, 04:41:09 PM »
Marschy ,

Do you know how to adjust the level on a gimbal ?? Is that roll ? Which I don't have a control for ...  ;D

Mandrake

Marschy

« Reply #222 on: April 08, 2014, 04:42:53 PM »
Sorry, my response was tongue in cheek. No can't help you, Crispies your man, he's done the gimbal business with his DJI gear, drop him a PM.

Marschy

« Reply #223 on: April 08, 2014, 04:49:39 PM »
Marschy ,

Do you know how to adjust the level on a gimbal ?? Is that roll ? Which I don't have a control for ...  ;D

Mandrake
Yes the control you need to adjust is roll. But there should be a control for that, especially on a brushless gimbal.

Offline Mandrake

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #224 on: April 08, 2014, 04:53:06 PM »
When I said there isn't one - what I meant was there is not knob to adjust it with AND I didnt fit the control cable coz I didn't fink I'd need it !!!
Must be able to fit that cable then adjust in the Naza software ???
I'll see what crispy says - It could be the magnetometer board needs to be "exactly" horizontal ???

Cheers

Mandrake