Author Topic: baby Q hose question  (Read 4090 times)

Offline rockinj

• Soft Floor Camper User
baby Q hose question
« on: December 04, 2016, 09:59:26 AM »
Just wondering how people use their drawbar bayonet connection for the Weber or the gasemate version of the weber.
Do you need to bypass the regulator and/or buy a longer hose?
We have the aldie version and just attach a gas bottle but saw the gasemate on special for 200 at bunnings which is tempting.  i am also looking at a second hand baby q for 180 but just wanted to check how everyone connects them.
cheers
Trying to find the time to use our camper . . .

Offline glenm64

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: baby Q hose question
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2016, 11:37:38 AM »
I bought a long hose with bayonet for the weber q from BBQ's Galore. I doesnt have regulator on it.

Cheers Glen

There's a big difference between kneeling down
......... and bending over.

AdrianLR

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2016, 07:03:29 PM »
Is the hose without a regulator for the natural gas version?

Offline rags

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2016, 07:55:23 PM »
The weberQ will have a hose with a regulator for use as a direct connection to LPG bottle. The alternate option is a hose which connects via a bayonet fitting designed to be used on a regulated supply, this could be LPG however, the weberQ burner can be converted to run on Natural gas if the injector nipples are exchanged for NG versions.

Offline rockinj

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2016, 11:13:59 AM »
so running off the camper is regulated already and I buy another (longer) hose?
This is what I thought had to happen but wasn't 100% sure.
Thanks guys
Trying to find the time to use our camper . . .

Offline Green rv

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • SAND CAR-SELS @ FRASER
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2016, 11:28:27 AM »
correct
running a BBQ from the gas bayonet you will not require to have a hose with a built in regulator
however you will need to buy a gas bayonet hose if you don't already have one
generally see bayonet hoses in 1.5 , 2 and 3 meter lengths
also check as the fitting that goes to the BBQ can be 1/4(small) or 3/8 (large) ( threaded in sae or bsp)
actual webers are 3/8 sae
seems to me that old BBQs were 1/4 and newer ones are 3/8 in most cases
 :cheers:
Adam

« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 11:32:41 AM by Green rv »
Hilux 2002 LN167 + Stockman POD

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2016, 11:39:51 AM »
I have the Gasmate Cruiser which connects straight to a POL fitting usually on the unregulated gas bottle like so-
http://www.gasmate.com.au/sub-category/portable-bbqs/product-code/Cruiser-BBQ/

So with a single 8.5kg bottle on the drawbar of the Jayco Dove and its double regulator for the stove and 3 way I added a T piece and tap before the reg and then pig tail copper and a straight run to a female Pol outlet on the door side of the camper underneath and I plug it with a plastic POL plug you get with bottle refills when not in use. OK so that means the POL outlet can release gas just like your gas bottle, should someone turn on the tap and the plastic plug is removed. But that's where the Gas Safety Gauge on the bottle comes in as it would shut off the gas should you do that, as well as acting as a total system leak check tool. Notice also I'm not messing around with long flexible hoses manufacturers don't install on their bbqs for whatever reason ;)
There's no Great Evil conspiracy against consumers within engineering, manufacturing and supply. Just the many tradeoffs incurred to satisfy diverse tastes, priorities and wallets. But first comes all the insatiable Gummint eggsperts, nanny-staters and usual suspects.

Offline prodigyrf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2016, 11:59:15 AM »
Here's the rub too with the Gas Safety Gauge. Suppose I'm setup camping with gas running to the fridge and stove and I want to use the Gasmate bbq then I remove the plastic plug and screw in the Gasmate POL hose to it and then turn on the gas feed via the extra tap, then the rush of gas to pressurise the line is enough to trip the GSG and so you have to push the gauge down to reset it for the bbq to continue to work. All in all it's an idiot proof setup for dimwits who mightn't know what they're doing and as we all know from POL fittings on our gas bottles, they're the most robust, idiot proof connection going around ;)
« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 12:03:38 PM by prodigyrf »
There's no Great Evil conspiracy against consumers within engineering, manufacturing and supply. Just the many tradeoffs incurred to satisfy diverse tastes, priorities and wallets. But first comes all the insatiable Gummint eggsperts, nanny-staters and usual suspects.

Offline Green rv

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • SAND CAR-SELS @ FRASER
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2016, 12:07:46 PM »
http://www.gasmate.com.au/sub-category/portable-bbqs/product-code/Cruiser-BBQ/

FYI you might already know this but the stove listed in the link would not be suitable to be used with a gas bayonet as it has a built in regulator.

Also HP (high pressure) cookers also not suitable. as in link
http://www.bcf.com.au/Product/Wanderer-2-Burner-LPG-Stove-With-Drip-Tray/388508
« Last Edit: December 05, 2016, 12:10:54 PM by Green rv »
Hilux 2002 LN167 + Stockman POD

Offline LeighC

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2016, 11:54:03 PM »
Hi

Regulator & 1.8m aftermarket hose to Weber Q
                                                                      /
9kg bottle -> gas gauge -> T piece with 2 x POL
                                                                      \
                                                                        Regulator & 1.8m hose to 2 burner Smev cooktop

Cheers
Leigh
Prado 150 series
Pioneer Argyle SE