Author Topic: Portable Air Compressors - Which One - dozens to choose from??  (Read 13110 times)

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
Re: Portable Air Compressors - Which One - dozens to choose from??
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2018, 06:08:38 PM »
Well, I'll go against the tide and say I'm very happy with my ARB one in a box. It works reliably, the pressure operated switch and gauge at the tyre end make it easy to use. Its never once cut out from overheating. With an Anderson plug on the end I just plug it in to the back of the Pajero and can reach all tyres including the trailer without having to move anything. The box ensures that the hose, inflator and other nozzles are easy to store and pack away. Having an easy to access, reliable set up means that I'm happy to air up and down when I should instead of pushing on and risking tyres and/or damaging track or getting bogged. For me the ease of use, storage and setup make it a worthwhile investment.

Yep, been using mine for yrs. Now mounted in the wing of the rear drawers, connect with an anderson plug when needed to run ( which is right beside it ) and is connected to the outlet fitting via a few fittings and some hydraulic hose...no worries about a bit of heat !!
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline duggie

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Dont you just love it.
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2018, 09:25:56 AM »
I don’t generally buy arb stuff, however I got one of their compressors second hand, as you can get plenty of parts to rebuild them if something goes wrong. I needed a part for one, (cant remember the part) and ARB wanted about $80 plus freight, the Guy was trying to up sell me to a new compressor as they were 100 or more off fo a special. So would not pay full price, would consider one on sale or second hand. That said the box they come in has a bit of wasted space, I am considering making one out of ply that folds out.

I have the twin ARB compressor , when new it was great but one of the electric motors buggered up no long after the warranty period and I went into ARB chasing motor parts and was told that they do not sell motor parts ( even though they do list all the parts ).

All they were wanting to do for me was to sell me a new complete compressor , they would not even sell me a new complete motor .

Still use the bloody thing , but slow as hell as only one compressor is working .

I have never had a good run form any ARB gear that I have bought , I must be one of the unlucky people as this has been mentioned to me by several ARB staff members on a few occasions .
" Old Nissans Just Keep On Truckin On "

Offline kylarama

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2018, 11:44:55 AM »
Another vote for the Bushranger Maxair.

12 years of service without ever skipping a beat. Permanently lives in the back of the car.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Offline 03GV

• Tent User
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2018, 05:21:07 PM »
Max air user here aswell. My original from around 2003 is still going strong,  was mounted under bonnet in my last vehicle for 3-4 years. Its now mounted in a plastic for mobility, as I have no room under my bonnet of current car.
2010 DDIS Grand vitara
Lumberjack  Buckley  Campertrailer

Offline stephenh1235

• Tent User
  • Have gun will travel
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2018, 12:58:37 PM »
As far as I am concerned, mine still comes in as "Portable" , from Home hardware -Compressor 240V, 40 litre tank, 140cfm at $160, handy for the 37" tyres.
The Honda powerplant however $$$$$$    Both mounted on a slide in the truck box.
2004 Mitsubishi 4WD Canter
2003 HZJ105
2014 Palamino 1251ss slide on

Offline McTavish

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2018, 01:37:36 PM »
Stephen - well I suppose I didn't specify any definition of 'portable' did I?

No one can say it's not up to the job...

:cup:

Vacation Camper & McTavish surfboard - what more does a guy need??

Offline McTavish

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2018, 01:46:20 PM »
Which part of Brisbane are you in.....if anywhere near bracken ridge feel free to drop of and give the the Single ARB and 4WD Super Centre a run......the ARB Twin as well.

Generous offer Weeds - thanks mate - but we are in Forest Lake - so other side of town...

Thanks for all the replies - the main message I get from this is that it's hard to find a lemon which is good news. 

After all the positives about the Bushranger I think I'm going to drop the $'s on the MaxAirIII - which at around $300 just gives a few more features including the trigger nozzle, digital reading and pressure cut off switch, longer hose to get to the CT and the 5 year warranty.    I'll go and check them out later this week to be sure.   
« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 09:06:23 PM by McTavish »

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2018, 02:03:55 PM »
Still got my Ironman compressor, and theres about dozen of them in our club...
Regularly does 2 cars in a session

but just dont buy an ebay Shitter, you'll regret it unless you only use it once a year for a wheelbarrow tyre.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home
The following users thanked this post: McTavish

Offline GeoffA

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "If 1 axle is good, 2 must be better........."
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2018, 02:12:49 PM »

Got the Aldi version. Does the Patrol and the Coota without blinking.....
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon
2005 Coota Camper - gone, but never forgotten
2020 North Coast 15' Titanium - tandem, of course

Land Cruiser.....the Patrol that Toyota try to build.....

Offline filcar

• Tent User
« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2018, 06:01:23 PM »
... The biggest thing for me if I was buying a compressor again would be to get one with a pressure switch, to save running back and forth to turn it on and off (or making the kids do it)...

I was going to set up a remote for my compressor until I came across this gadget ... https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/MAURICE-4X4-Tyre-Gauge-3-IN-1-TYRE-DEFLATOR-AIR-GAUGE-AND-TYRE-INFLATION-TOOL/292414579501?hash=item441544632d:g:5RYAAOSw0wRaGL4L

Was discussed here ... http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=53880.0

Nice bit of gear that does what it says it will.
Defender 90 towing AussieSwag Ultra D

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2018, 06:40:16 PM »

but just dont buy an ebay Shitter, you'll regret it unless you only use it once a year for a wheelbarrow tyre.

Uumm, what's the difference between Ironman and an e bay Shitter ??  Just the sticker ??

I can imagine them coming down two lines in the same factory with wing chang leaning left and attaching Ironman stickers and then leaning right attaching X brand stickers !!   ;D
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline nab

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2018, 09:17:39 PM »
Another Max Air II here. Bought it in 2007, it was a $299 show special. Still as fast today as it was then. Just last week I pumped up my 6 tyres (inc camper) from 14psi to 40psi and then did my mates trailer and 2 of his tyres in the time someone had done their 4 tyres with one of those cheap double pumpers. The double pumper started cutting out on the 3rd tyre and had to be cooled down before starting the 4th tyre. The Max Air II just kept on pumping as it always does...
2005 Jayco Dove - sold
2003 Coromal Pioneer XC

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2018, 07:34:29 AM »
Quote from: gronk
Uumm, what's the difference between Ironman and an e bay Shitter ??  Just the sticker ??

I can imagine them coming down two lines in the same factory with wing chang leaning left and attaching Ironman stickers and then leaning right attaching X brand stickers !!   ;D
Material the Internals are made of..
Many of the Chinese ones we looked at have plastic pistons which is the main failing in many of them... we pulled apart several dead ones one weekend at a mates shop and as soon as you crack them open you can see the difference in parts.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2018, 10:42:03 AM »
I remember someone years ago bought a brand name brand one and a Kmart(?) equivalent. They then pulled them both down and saw that the Kmart was definitely made from cheaper internals, he then decided to run the Kmart one through its paces and continually tested it (within the specs) but stripped it down regularly to see the wear and tear. It started to wear pretty quickly but surprisingly held on for quite a while before it broke and was returned under warranty.

Sometimes I think it comes down to expected usage, with a below average use it would have likely lasted for many years before wearing out but probably wouldn't have gone the long haul if used to do a few vehicles every weekend. 

Offline Beachman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2018, 11:11:41 AM »
I’m now on my 2nd ARB (single) as the first one lasted 13 years before it gave up the ghost. Not a bad run considering I do a lot of beach work plus it lived under the bonnet the whole time.

Considering the good run out of the first one I recently bought new  ARB (single) but this time I’ve mounted it in the back of the cruiser in one of the plastic side storage compartments. This way it’s now out of the dust/water and if I get another 13 years then I will be happy.   

For me it’s great because it’s wired up permanently and all I have to do is open the top half of the back tailgate and plug the hose in and away I go. Also when not in use I can put the cover on the compartment so it’s out of sight. 

No denying there are faster units, but being small and permanently mounted was the decider.

Offline McTavish

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2018, 07:22:39 PM »
Does anyone see any disadvantages of cutting the power about a foot from the end and putting an Anderson plug in?   

That way I've got the two connections available to me - Alligators for direct to the battery or the Anderson to go in the back of the Prado on the live feed from the dual battery?

McT
The following users thanked this post: DEEMAC

Offline marvellous_matt

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2018, 07:27:01 PM »
I cut the cable and put a anderson on, then put an anderson on the the battery clips, that way I can use it on any vehicle, best of both worlds

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2018, 08:15:09 PM »
I put an Anderson plug on my compressor, no issues doing that and all.... I run the compressor from the trailers power supply Anderson plug off a lead
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t

Offline Cruiser 105Tvan

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Another Tvan owner.
« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2018, 08:42:37 PM »
Something I've done to the last Compressor, and the current one.
I thought it was a popular mod. and being done by a lot of others.
Robert. 
VK3PPC, VZU641.
2000 FZJ105r bars,
HDJ105r Bars F&R, VRS Winch, ATZ. P3's, a cupla 2 ways as well.
and 2009 Canning Tvan pushing.

Offline rossm

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2018, 08:51:24 PM »

Maybe I am paranoid but anything electrical or with moving parts I like to buy from a bricks and mortar retailer. It will come with a warranty and if it goes bang or pffft early on  I know where to start looking for redress.

Ebay? 100 percent good buyer feedback?   As we saw with the recent posts about the dud battery that doesn't always mean much.

Offline kylarama

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #45 on: January 29, 2018, 08:51:40 PM »
Anderson plug mod us a must on portable compressors. So handy.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #46 on: January 29, 2018, 09:17:19 PM »
Quote from: tryagain
Sometimes I think it comes down to expected usage, with a below average use it would have likely lasted for many years before wearing out but probably wouldn't have gone the long haul if used to do a few vehicles every weekend.
Bingo....

also poor people cant afford cheap things.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home