Author Topic: Keeping a camper mould free up north  (Read 7343 times)

Offline skamme

• Tent User
  • Coffee Time?
Re: Keeping a camper mould free up north
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2011, 09:09:26 PM »
Stick a box of chalk in. This can be used over and over.  :cup:
Please explain??

Offline Matto

• Don't Follow Me - I Won't Make It
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2011, 04:59:20 PM »
I'm guessing the chalk absorbs the moisture. when it stops being effective, you pull it out and bake it in the over for an hour or two to dry it out, then put it back in the camper. Rinse, and repeat. It's a nifty idea - I might have to grab a couple of boxes.

To be honest though, we don't have a problem with mould on our camper. It lives outside, all shut up, and the PVC cover gets a bit manky (light bleach solution fixes this), but nothing on the canvas. I mistakenly pumped some water up into the kitchen while the camper was closed for a few weeks over Jan/Feb (wanted the tank filled for Yasi, in case we needed emergency rations), and that made the kitchen and one of the chair bags get a bit of mould onto them, but after wiping down with some antibacterial spray (just the normal kitchen stuff from Coles) they were right as rain, and haven't had any problem since.

We do sit a couple of water jerry cans under the PCV top on top of the canvas though, mainly so that water doesn't pool on the top of the PVC and make a mess, but it also gives some breathing space to the canvas under the top. Maybe it's the heat from the sun during the day that dries out that airspace, but it's always been perfect for us.

Good luck with the Wet and Forget skamme - I hope it works for you and would be interested if the mould comes back quickly, or even at all. Hopefully you've got it sorted!

Thanks!
Matto :)
"I have a bunch of junk that is not any better than yours." - MoGas - ExPo member #226.

Offline skamme

• Tent User
  • Coffee Time?
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2011, 08:01:48 AM »

Good luck with the Wet and Forget skamme - I hope it works for you and would be interested if the mould comes back quickly, or even at all. Hopefully you've got it sorted!

Thanks!
[/quote]
The wet and forget is really preventative rather than cure, apart from the annex bag which had the blotches, and a couple of small spots up under the side skirt around the trailer. I reckon a 20k trailer is worth looking after as best as I can. Mine lives under the house, would hate to keep it outside in the wet and sun ;D Maybe i am just pedantic :cheers:

Offline Matto

• Don't Follow Me - I Won't Make It
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2011, 09:00:37 AM »
That's good to hear then - I hope it stops any future problems. If you can keep the camper under cover, then you've got half the battle already won.

I'd love to keep mine somewhere a bit protected, but unfortunately we don't have anywhere else for it to go, so out in the weather it is. Thankfully it doesn't seem to have harmed it at all so far. If you've got the ability to get it undercover though, you'd be silly not to use it!

Thanks!
"I have a bunch of junk that is not any better than yours." - MoGas - ExPo member #226.

Offline skamme

• Tent User
  • Coffee Time?
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2011, 01:20:44 PM »
Im pretty sure the annex bag was affected because it was shut up in the bottom storage box of the trailer and there was some condensation for some reason. In future I will leave the tailgate and front side door open a bit after use, and blow some air through for a few days perhaps. We have some rats around too, and I know what they can do to canvas, and really dont want that >:(