Author Topic: New Caravan Park Scam  (Read 26285 times)

Offline 03GV

• Tent User
Re: New Caravan Park Scam
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2017, 09:28:20 PM »
I bet they don't let them know about lead tagging requirements when they take a deposit off them on the phone!

Tagging is the biggest joke of them all, tag tools, leads, or appliance and then put a nick in the lead the next day. Its all good though, have three months on the tag!
2010 DDIS Grand vitara
Lumberjack  Buckley  Campertrailer

Offline kylarama

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2017, 09:51:25 PM »

Tagging is the biggest joke of them all, tag tools, leads, or appliance and then put a nick in the lead the next day. Its all good though, have three months on the tag!

T&T is the bane of my life. I've had the displeasure of enforcing it as a site manager and PM.  I get these lines trotted out to me all the time. Unfortunately I didn't write the law, I just have to enforce it as part of my employment.

I've taken the line, that at least someone qualified is inspecting it 4 times a year.  On a commercial site guys are working under their SWMS's. In their SWMS's it states the individual operator must inspect all equipment and leads prior to performing a task, if it gets a nick the next day after tagging. The onus is on the operator, not the tester.

Unfortunately all this stuff is born out of litigation.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2017, 10:38:00 PM »

A tagged lead is only good for the 10seconds after it is tagged. The rest is up to the operator after that. If you don't have rules, you can't hope to have a safe worksite.
An extension lead should be good for 10yrs IF you have someone who can look after it.......but most don't give a crap..
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline weeds

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2017, 11:54:37 PM »
Isn’t there a requirement for caravan park to have all there outlet on double pole (think that the words) switch’s on RCD therefore if an extension lead is wired wrong it trips the switch?

It’s been a while since I have been in property management but I also thought if RCD are tested at a regular interval than test and tag isn’t required.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline Bigfish

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #29 on: December 17, 2017, 05:29:17 AM »
Maybe they will want a current roadworthy certificate next as well to ensure all vehicles entering their property are 100% up to scratch. Possibly want to see your gas mod plate, your electrical compliance plate and driving licence as well. JUST to cover their employees. As stated..if they ensure all their electrical points, rcds and wiring is routinely tested and tagged there shouldn,t be a need for a van owner to have his leads tested.
Having lots of friends on farcebook is the same as having lots of money in monopoly...means absolutely nothing!!

Offline #jonesy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2017, 05:58:51 AM »
These guys say it's not law, and there business is test and tag
http://www.appliancetaggingservices.com.au/blogs/vic-test-tag-requirements

Also found references to accomodation type places to test every 2 years which will be why the kettles etc being tagged.

I have little faith in it after seeing the method some use at work. One guy filled out the tag while the other cut off the old tag and swapped it. No "testing" or inspection was done. It was a shredder on wheels and only the plug was visible. The unit was never moved.
2013 Aussie Jays - Crusher      2013 Toyota Hilux. 

Offline GeoffA

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "If 1 axle is good, 2 must be better........."
« Reply #31 on: December 17, 2017, 06:44:28 AM »
Park owners have been rumoured to have cut up power leads they viewed as unsafe.

??? ???

What/who gives them the right to destroy someone else's property?

:cheers:
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon
2005 Coota Camper - gone, but never forgotten
2020 North Coast 15' Titanium - tandem, of course

Land Cruiser.....the Patrol that Toyota try to build.....

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2017, 07:01:54 AM »
??? ???

They would really want to be " Qualified  " to do so  ??? ??? ??? ??? ???
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline Troopy_03

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Now a small poptop c'van. Really miss the CT :-(
« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2017, 07:14:26 AM »
??? ???

Nothing/nobody.
4.2L TD Toyota Troopy, (Clarke's Country Camper Trailer, softfloor.) sold it and bought a Avan Ray small poptop caravan.

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2017, 08:06:31 AM »
Maybe they will want a current roadworthy certificate next as well to ensure all vehicles entering their property are 100% up to scratch.
already exists on some sites with things like concrete pumps, cranes and earth moving machines, just depends on how the WH&S person is running the site....some are good to work with, some want everything run like a mine or high rise complex where they cater to the lowest common denominator and unions.
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t

Offline gronk

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2017, 09:00:32 AM »
  some want everything run like a mine or high rise complex where they cater to the lowest common denominator and unions.

Worked in coal mines for 40 yrs and while it's one of the highest risk places to work, without unions and OH&S, they would be similar to mines in China ( without those two ingredients ) where they kill thousands a year !

Some unions, especially at the top level, especially in the building game, may be corrupt, but down at workplace level, most are run by your own workmates and really do have your safety at heart.
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #36 on: December 17, 2017, 09:12:51 AM »
Worked in coal mines for 40 yrs and while it's one of the highest risk places to work, without unions and OH&S, they would be similar to mines in China ( without those two ingredients ) where they kill thousands a year !

Some unions, especially at the top level, especially in the building game, may be corrupt, but down at workplace level, most are run by your own workmates and really do have your safety at heart.
at no stage have I said there's no place for the OH&S, but having worked construction for over 25 years myself, i know that some of the stuff we have to do at times is pure BS and there as arse covering over litigation fears. Thankfully I don't work full time in locations that live that mentality, you tend to see how much productivity is effected in the places that are over the top with rules made in the name of safety. It was clear to me from your first post on this you'd worked in an industry that lives for these rules and regulations.
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t

Offline The punter

• "avoiding grey nomads since 2011"
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #37 on: December 17, 2017, 10:16:06 AM »
More reasons to avoid caravan parks and the cranky people that use them.

That aside, you can buy a set of tags off eBay. All sorted
13 FJ Cruiser
15 Lifestyle Reconn
1980 HJ45

Charlie Brown

« Reply #38 on: December 17, 2017, 10:42:54 AM »
.if they ensure all their electrical points, rcds and wiring is routinely tested and tagged there shouldn,t be a need for a van owner to have his leads tested.

That was also my understanding.

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #39 on: December 17, 2017, 12:08:55 PM »
The local parks around here have that, you need a tested tagged power lead before you can hook up to power thing happening  .  Conveniently one of the staff can test your lead for you and tag it for about $15   :angel:

& he is, of course, a licensed sparkie (contractor ?) that's qualified to do so & has the appropriate testing gear out the back ???

(Telling nasty, cynical side of me, that thinks he looks at the lead, then puts a sticker on it, to shut up! >:D)
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Offline BBull

• Tent User
« Reply #40 on: December 17, 2017, 12:13:24 PM »
& he is, of course, a licensed sparkie (contractor ?) that's qualified to do so & has the appropriate testing gear out the back ???

(Telling nasty, cynical side of me, that thinks he looks at the lead, then puts a sticker on it, to shut up! >:D)
You don’t need to be a sparky to do test and tagging. Only need to be competent and it’s only a few day course. The only reason t&t came in was people not checking leads. I personally have never checked my lead inch by inch and I doubt a lot of people do before they plug it in.

Offline gronk

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #41 on: December 17, 2017, 12:47:07 PM »
It was clear to me from your first post on this you'd worked in an industry that lives for these rules and regulations.

Nah, in fact yrs ago the rules were regularly broken, and these days, they can be a bit over the top, but as an employer, you can't leave yourself open .

I know some places you can't even fart without filling in a take5 book, but on some big construction and mine sites, an injury can delay work for a day or more, costing millions sometimes, not to mention the fine if the company was at fault....and sometimes they actually care about the worker as well !!

I've seen my share of blokes being killed at work, so maybe in my old age I take OH&S a bit more serious than I used to !!
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline corndog

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #42 on: December 17, 2017, 03:05:41 PM »
When all else is said and done you are a only guest on some ones property. If having a tagged lead is part of the conditions of entry stated by the park management then so be it. If you don't like it move on to the next park. Problem is why stop at the power lead. The van and everything in it should be tagged. Watch the $$$ build up. How many out there have had their vans checked since purchase, not many. When you rock up to the entrance of a park is the person booking you in gonna come out and search your car and van for tags, I don't think so. If you have tagged all your electrical stuff do they know who did the tagging, I don't think so. If you strike a park wanting any of this just ask to see their records of testing to see if they are up to date, probably find they aren't.  I'd be wary of any park person tagging leads, who knows if their competent. No one has the right to cut the plugs off leads that do not belong to them. Becomes willfull damage to private property. If a tag is filled in and placed on an item it could become a legal document which opens up another can of worms. Like others have said, is it a grab for cash by some, arse covering for others or just more bulls**t by the caravan parks association.
Just a side note and that is both my daughters attend Calisthenics competitions at venues and most of them require anything 240v to be tagged.
End of rant.

Offline weeds

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #43 on: December 17, 2017, 07:05:42 PM »
Latest Big4 caravan park ( Inverloch ) "recommendation" is that your power leads are all "tested and tagged" because it's a work site. When I asked them was it compulsory the reply came back "that,no, it wasn't compulsory or law, but if you were prepared to take the risk that was fine " with no explanation of just what the risk is/was

I don’t doubt the conversation you had with them......

What would annoy me is it should be on there website stating the requirement (but given I wouldn’t read teen and conditions)  and/or communicated at time of booking.

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #44 on: December 17, 2017, 07:30:16 PM »
I don’t doubt the conversation you had with them......

What would annoy me is it should be on there website stating the requirement (but given I wouldn’t read teen and conditions)  and/or communicated at time of booking.

More a question of "who's" "requirement" is it.  Unless they can show there is a legal requirement, at present the onus is on the park to have everything up to the required standard to provide a safe place for their guests to stay at. 
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline weeds

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #45 on: December 17, 2017, 07:33:13 PM »
More a question of "who's" "requirement" is it.  Unless they can show there is a legal requirement, at present the onus is on the park to have everything up to the required standard to provide a safe place for their guests to stay at.

Which I pretty sure is having the RCD tested.

Offline gronk

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #46 on: December 17, 2017, 08:07:13 PM »

Just a side note and that is both my daughters attend Calisthenics competitions at venues and most of them require anything 240v to be tagged.

Been out of the mines for 3 yrs now, but some companies don't allow ANY power tool run by 240V on site.....including contractors coming to do work for them. Must be either battery operated or air operated...no exceptions. So they've solved two things in one......dodgy power tools and dodgy extension leads.
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline kylarama

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #47 on: December 17, 2017, 08:15:46 PM »

More a question of "who's" "requirement" is it.

No ones.

Xcvator said it was a recommendation only.  Your choice to tag your lead and your choice to decline their "recommendation".

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Offline rags

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #48 on: December 17, 2017, 09:08:48 PM »
Been out of the mines for 3 yrs now, but some companies don't allow ANY power tool run by 240V on site.....including contractors coming to do work for them. Must be either battery operated or air operated...no exceptions. So they've solved two things in one......dodgy power tools and dodgy extension leads.

Where does the air come from, Electric or petrol compressor?

Offline MDS69

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #49 on: December 17, 2017, 09:10:09 PM »

How do you charge your batteries. Serious question.