Author Topic: Camping Fees  (Read 4412 times)

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
Camping Fees
« on: October 30, 2017, 09:13:41 PM »
So a couple of other threads have mentioned the cost of camping fees at some places being too high, I had thought this but wondered if it was just my tight arse tendencies. So I thought I'd see what people think is good value for a campsite per night, As we have 4 kids the ones that charge per site/car tend to be my favourites as opposed to per head but thought I'd break it up into a two different camping categories and see what people think is a reasonable price for each. Now there are many other variables (ie how close to civilisation, how spread out, natural attractions etc) but to keep it simple just average them out.

1) No amenities.
Adults $?? Kids$?? or per Site$??

2) Developed campground Flushing toilets, Hot showers etc
Adults $?? Kids$?? or per Site$??

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Camping Fees
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2017, 09:16:06 PM »
For me, I would consider something like this good value.

1) No amenities.
Adults $7-10 Kids $3.5-5 or per Site $20-25
2) Developed campground Flushing toilets, Hot showers etc
Adults $10-15 Kids $5-7.5 or per Site $30-40
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 03:02:55 PM by tryagain »

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2017, 09:28:28 PM »
Inverloch Foreshore camping reserve charges per head..

2 ad 2 kids for 2 nights $180+ - just a patch of dirt.... nothing flash..
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 08:47:41 AM by Bird »
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
Camping Fees
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2017, 09:34:38 PM »
I'd generally agree with your option 1 pricing. Anything under $10 per adult or max $20-$25 per site for basic bush camping.

But option 2 really depends on the amenities.
Manky pit toilets, flushing toilet in a dodgy tin shed or flushing toilet in a pristine tiled bathroom?
Bush shower behind a tarp, kind-of warmish/hot shower in a dodgy tin shed or great steaming hot shower in a proper amenities building?

Then factor in the location with each of the above facilities and there's a big price range.

For the absolute perfect location, with big open bush sites (e.g. NOT a caravan park), fire pits on every site and great amenities I'd pay $50 or more per site.

I've been happy with the fees at pretty much all of the YouCamp properties we've stayed at. Private land owners seem to get it pretty well right in regards to fees charged for facilities.
Where as some of the National Park fees are basically theft for what you (don't) get for your money.

And let's not talk about caravan parks aye.... ;)
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 09:37:29 PM by Pete79 »

3rd time lucky

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2017, 09:40:41 PM »
There's a ripper private campground 10minutes out from Canungra that charges $20 per night per vehicle, flat rate. The property is split in half by a running creek, the side with the owner's house has lodges and camp kitchens etc as well as grassed camp sites for trailers/tents /vans. The opposite side of the creek has 4 or 5 port aloos set up, but no other facilities.  Open grass lawns with plentiful fire pits.  The owners collect rubbish on Saturday and Sunday mornings too.  Pre book via email.
That's more like it, $40 for our family for a weekender > and only 1hr15mins from home. Winner.

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2017, 10:01:54 PM »
option 2 really depends on the amenities.
Manky pit toilets, flushing toilet in a dodgy tin shed or flushing toilet in a pristine tiled bathroom?
Bush shower behind a tarp, kind-of warmish/hot shower in a dodgy tin shed or great steaming hot shower in a proper amenities building?

Then factor in the location with each of the above facilities and there's a big price range.

For the absolute perfect location, with big open bush sites (e.g. NOT a caravan park), fire pits on every site and great amenities I'd pay $50 or more per site.

I've been happy with the fees at pretty much all of the YouCamp properties we've stayed at. Private land owners seem to get it pretty well right in regards to fees charged for facilities.
Where as some of the National Park fees are basically theft for what you (don't) get for your money.
I was just averaging it out with option 2, not the best, not the worst. The last place we stayed at was a Youcamp property, $50pn for us with no facilities, but you get the place to your self, a tad pricey for my liking but factoring in a last minute booking for a long weekend and be able to guarantee no crowds (especially ferals) to ruin your weekend, a really scenic spot on a creek and it's not too bad. The prices I listed are ones that I'd like, in reality, I generally opt to pay a bit more for the nicer places.

And let's not talk about caravan parks aye.... ;)
Thought I'd keep it to camping  ;)

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2017, 10:07:10 PM »
Righto, got it...

We're 2 adults and 2 kids, so for us per site;

1) $20-$25
2)$40ish

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2017, 10:07:57 PM »
There's a ripper private campground 10minutes out from Canungra that charges $20 per night per vehicle, flat rate.

Did a driveby there a little while ago, looked a little busy for my liking but it was a long weekend, will make the effort to give it a go, especially as the price is right.

3rd time lucky

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2017, 12:06:00 AM »
Did a driveby there a little while ago, looked a little busy for my liking but it was a long weekend, will make the effort to give it a go, especially as the price is right.
I would expect EVERY camp ground within 1.5hrs of a major city would be chockablock on a long weekend. Give it a go...what have u got to lose?...$40 and a weekend?...lol

Offline Nifty1

• Tent User
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2017, 07:34:19 AM »
There’s a huge variation in fees, and structures too, between states. In National Park sites in Vic, with facilities, you pay about $55 a night whether there is one of you or six, and another $10 for a second car. In NT sites like Palm Valley I think it was $6.60 for one, with hot showers and flushing dunnies, gas bbqs and fire pits, and in a very remote and scenic location. And none of this stupid online booking either! For singles or couples that is excellent value.
Tvan + Terracan
Hilux Adventure Camper
1999 Outback Sturt - an oldie but a goodie. Updated of course (passed on within family)

Offline Wortho

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2017, 03:32:33 PM »
Well the Trial bay Gaol Nat park campsite in NSW will cost you $61.50 a night for one or two adults during peak and if you have 2 kids make that $83.50 a night!!  This is camping in a national park folks in your own camper with your own linen etc not a hotel but the prices are not far off. Mind you these prices are for the premium 'Bay view' sites  ;D

Offline Spada

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2017, 03:50:33 PM »
will make the effort to give it a go, especially as the price is right.

WooHoo......Myswag weekend at Spring Gully, what date ?
Spada.
76 Series Cruiser & Zone Peregrine caravan.

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2017, 04:09:05 PM »
Well the Trial bay Gaol Nat park campsite in NSW will cost you $61.50 a night for one or two adults during peak and if you have 2 kids make that $83.50 a night!!  This is camping in a national park folks in your own camper with your own linen etc not a hotel but the prices are not far off. Mind you these prices are for the premium 'Bay view' sites  ;D

And they are unpowered sites with no water either. Don't go there people  :cheers:

It is still cheaper than a week on Moreton Island camping with the trailer.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 04:12:02 PM by GBC »

Offline Banjo16

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • The road less travelled
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2017, 04:50:51 PM »
Yes and it's still chocka.
Cheers,
Don

PB Challenger
Jayco Starcraft OB

Offline OldPaj

• Tent User
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2017, 05:04:03 PM »
For my part:

Option 1 = Free, same with only drop toilets as amenities. (regardless of numbers)

Option 2 = $20 - 30 with power, probably 15 - 20 without.

Recently at Laura Bay in SA nice spot but, $12 per night, online booking and no facilities at all. Ridiculous.

Offline KevG

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2017, 05:04:30 PM »
Seems to depend where you are and the type of site. Travelling north from Yass, destination Cooktown all of the inland place on the way up we between 15 and 20 per night, aside from Takaraka and Undara resorts. On the coastal side the minimum was about 35. Prices for 2 adults per night.
The odd free camp and really cheap farm stay type places were a good find.
Will add that the inland sites were far friendlier than the costal ones...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Frawls

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2017, 06:08:56 PM »
My two bucks worth

Option 1 free (I pay taxes provide a service).

Option 2 $30-$40
🍻🍻🍻🍻🍾🍾🍾🍾🍾🍻🍻🍻🍻

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2017, 07:34:21 PM »
1..  free

2...$20 to $30 / night for a site.

3..caravan park...$30 to $45....if you have kids and want jumping pillows and a nice pool, then you may pay through the nose for it, but we'll stick to the most out of the way cheap ones....especially the ones allowing a fire..
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline sharkcaver

• Soft Floor Camper User
    • My ramblings:
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2017, 10:30:23 PM »
Thank christ I have access to 2.6M square Km's to choose from. I don't mind paying a fee for access (occasionally) but fark me, some of the prices above are outrageous.
An NX Paj, a D-Max and an Ultimate X-trk

http://sharkcaver.blogspot.com.au/

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoz71vk1CWl6lp6Tv3dXhkQ/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0