Author Topic: Trying to make a decision on our camper so have joined this forum for some help!  (Read 6991 times)

Offline edithvale

• Learning the Ropes
Hello All
Just joined My Swag. My husband and I have been researching form some time and we are now, (finally!), getting to the buying stage but we are still struggling so any advice would help.
Our aim, like many, light, heavy duty to do plenty of outback rugged exploring and also easy weekend stuff too, comfy bed, pefer outdoor cooking and a good ensuite option too.
Our top picks to date:
TVAN (so light, reputation is excellent, however, I am not a fan of the kitchen and storage issues)
ULTIMATE (like the inside seating for a bit more flexibility and the king bed but we  don't like cooking inside, also concerned how tedious it is making the bed, and issues with the mattress getting wet)
CONQUEROR 440 (my husband has an idea of converting the 2nd bed to a seating area) - we love the storage, reviews are very good negative not Aus made.
PIONEER MITCHELL (this was our original no 1pick however, it is relatively new so we are not sure as it hasn't been tested over time, we love the kitchen, storage, ensuite set up)
VISTA, now getting to the bottom of the list.
We are very open to other ideas too.
Thanks for your time.
Cheers

Offline sol

• Hard Top Camper User
Gday and welcome.
Those campers you picked are all great campers and all are capable of going anywhere you'd like to take them. We had a Vista RV for 3 years and couldn't fault it. Good luck with the search. :cup:

:cheers:
Make everyday count!!!
2015 Holden Colorado 7
New Age Manta Ray 16'6 Deluxe
The following users thanked this post: edithvale

Offline envee

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Retired !! grey nomading.
Hi Edithvale and welcome to myswag.

We've recently gone through the process of choosing our next camper.  We considered most on your list and in the end decided on the Mitchell.  While it is a relatively new one, Pioneer has been around for some time and their reputation is good.

If our wallet was bottomless, we would have got a Complete Campsite Exodus but in the end, we're very happy with our decision.  Good luck with yours !!
'14 Disco SE  '15 Complete Campsite Exodus 14

https://destinationpotatopoint.blogspot.com/

Offline ehzgo

• Learning the Ropes
  • Retired Panelbeater
Hi and welcome Edithvale.

Plenty of reading and experience here to help you out.

Good luck with your choice and enjoy.

:cheers:
Terry and Dianne. 
Holden Colorado
Lifestyle AT12XK

Offline wakychapmans

• Hard Floor Camper User
this thread might help. http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=50200.msg864386#msg864386

though granted it really only covers the Tvan, the Ultimate and to a lesser extent... the Vista RV.

My comment in that thread is the 4th post. While not (currently) an owner of any of them, and based on finances... unlikely to be an owner for a few years still, I've done a lot of research of them in the 2nd hand market.

The Conqueror was cut from our list as the wife just plain didn't like the "military look" of it.

The Ultimate, because she would prefer a hard roof. (though she did like the large galley/kitchen area)

The Pioneer isn't on our list as it requires the tent section to be set up every time. One of the features we both like about the Tvan is the ability to just open the pod, crawl inside and then close it behind you for a quick nights sleep without the entire set-up. Similar for the Vista RV. You can hop inside and sleep without even opening the pop-top.

That leaves us with the Tvan and the Vista RV. (though... on our budget, the 2nd hand Vista's start at high 30k while a Tvan starts at around 25k)

It all depends who and how many people you need to accommodate. For us... it's just the wife and myself and a dog... (or two).

« Last Edit: April 26, 2017, 01:20:46 PM by MuruCycles »
Wayne & Kyria Chapman
(+ Tucker & Monty the Samoyeds)
www.youtube.com/@morepawstravels/about
105 series Landcruiser 1HZ (soooooo much power)
1994, Supreme Getaway 14' (a "renovators dream")
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=56736.0
2 x titanium fatbikes with 4.8" tyres

Offline wattazuk

• Learning the Ropes
G'day Edithvale welcome to myswag
I would try to hire each of your options for a weekend or a few days, then you can make reasonabily informed descion.

Offline LB

• Soft Floor Camper User
I have to agree that I would personally knock out anything requiring canvas set up as I reckon that would getting very annoying very quickly. We have a Kimberley Kamper and we love it and have set up and pack down to a fine art I wouldn't want to be doing it for a year.

My pick would be the CC Exodus to if I had the money too as it has an amazing kitchen and heaps of storage.

Have a look at Rhinomax not the best kitchen set up but pretty good and heaps of storage and easy easy set up, from all reports very well made a tough. Also Australian Made

A warning on the conqueror unless you are tall the kitchen is a problem Im 5'4 and would need a step stool to cook.

I would really recommend getting one that you can craw into and sleep.
2017 BT-50 GT
Kimberley Kamper Platinum 2013

Offline Uncle Fester

• Learning the Ropes
Check out these, we bought one and love it. Australian made new Newcastle.
https://www.coolibahcaravans.com.au
Only motorcyclist know why dogs love sticking their  head out of the car window.

Offline edithvale

• Learning the Ropes
Tvan Firetail - heater/hot water and opening windows worth the $$?
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2017, 10:16:39 AM »
Thanks for all your replies. I have also been reading other posts on the Tvan, Ultimate and Vista. Hoping for some more advice. We are heading to Brisbane for the show this weekend  and very close to making our decision. Top of our list, Tvan, Firetail with the extra head space + heater/hotwater (not sure on this as it is costly at over 5K) so any advice/feedback, worth the dollars? Also just under 3K for the open windows, initially this was a must have for me but on reading lots of forums it is perhaps a better option to just get an extra fan, any thoughts on this?. We would also add the ensuite tent and extra windows on the annexe. Cost around 70K which at first I thought was just too much but the big picture is  10+ years of touring and resell on Tvan appears very good so we feel the investment is justified. We will certainly have another look at the Ultimate and Conqueror at Brisbane but Tvan certainly top of the list. It’s tough, relatively light, solid roof, ease to set up, outdoor kitchen is great, like the space and openness the annexe offers, and Tvan solid reputation. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Offline Alan Loy

• Hard Floor Camper User
We got a Tvan Firetail this year (before the added height which I would have preferred) 

We have used it 6 times now using every configuration from still hitched up and only the rear canvas screen ( a must have option IMHO) to the tent and annex.  So set up has varied from less than 5 minutes to about 30 (but we will get quicker).  There is a learning curve but a little practice makes setup & down easy

We opted for the second fan and not the opening windows due to the cost.  To early to tell if this is the right decision but the fans do work well and the 2 vents allow heat out.  We use a separate shower/toilet tent.  With the 2 standard doors and the big rear window we felt there is enough ventilation so didn't option the extra windows.

We have our fridge in the tug so we use the fridge slide for our Weber baby Q.  This makes the kitchen very versatile.  The bench is big enough for our use, this surprised me as I like to use a lot of space.  We keep the kettle in the sink when travelling and this gives us enough space for all the cooking equipment except the frying pan which goes in with the Weber.  We also have space for herbs spices tea towels detergent etc.

You need to put food elsewhere.  For us we use plastic lockers that travel in the tug and are pulled out as part of the setup (say 2 minutes max).  They could go in the back of the Tvan if you preferred.

We optioned a second slide in the drivers side locker, this is really handy as you can get at everything easily.  The wiring for a 2nd battery has not been used (yet) but we don't run a fridge.  We did not option the heater but if money was no object I would probably go that route, the price scared us off.  Tvan options are VERY expensive in my opinion so we kept them to a minimum.

The best thing about the Tvan is its engineering and it's light weight.  I keep finding things that have been done well rather than finding problems.  18 years of attention to detail has paid off IMHO and frankly for the price it should have.

We are very happy with our purchase and have seen nothing we would prefer
« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 10:56:41 AM by Alan Loy »

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
We are very open to other ideas too.

I love the look of the Bruder X, not sure if it would suit what you are after however and doesn't come cheap.

http://bruderx.com/videos/

Offline jimcle

• Learning the Ropes
Another one to look at is the various options from Australian Off Road (AOR). Doesn't seem to be many owners in this forum but they make quality equipment and has great customer service and support. Having gone through the same exercise as you earlier this year we decided on an AOR Quantum Plus for our family. Pick it up next month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline edithvale

• Learning the Ropes
Decision made. Tvan Firetail ordered! Yay!!
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2017, 10:52:34 AM »
Thank you for all advice and feedback. I have read many contributions from a variety of threads and it all helped us in our decision. In the end we travelled to the Brisbane Camping Caravan Show to look at them all again and it was finally between the Ultimate and the Tvan. End of the day I think we would have been happy with either it really was that close. However, my husband has always really liked the structure and reputation of the Tvan and I really liked the outdoor kitchen, we both liked the idea of a hard roof top and the ability to stop for a break/meal/overnight sleep with hopefully ease. Now looking for a fridge. We are thinking of an ARB, they looked good at the show and the 60lt allows for a shelf above in the pull out drawer so a bit more storage which the Tvan doesn't have as much as others we looked at such as the Pioneer Mitchell. Anyway thanks again.

The following users thanked this post: wakychapmans

3rd time lucky

Congrats on choice - waiting game, then fun times.  How long did you get quoted? I ordered our GS at the 2010 show and we did not get it til early Feb 2011. 

Offline edithvale

• Learning the Ropes
Congrats on choice - waiting game, then fun times.  How long did you get quoted? I ordered our GS at the 2010 show and we did not get it til early Feb 2011.

Thanks, mid August to late August...first trip planned for September so hopefully it arrives on time.

Offline Ragman

• Tent User
a unit that appeals to us is the new age road tripper. simple set up and perfect for a couple.
high on the list when we upgrade.

http://newagecaravans.com.au/caravan/13ft-road-tripper-enduro/

3rd time lucky

a unit that appeals to us is the new age road tripper. simple set up and perfect for a couple.
high on the list when we upgrade.

http://newagecaravans.com.au/caravan/13ft-road-tripper-enduro/

What $ ?? Jayco & Goldstream also do the same layout. GS do a version with a combo shower/toilet in the back corner. There's also a couple of other small scale manufacturers that do these, one has bed and kitchen slide outs. There's also the eco camper, but too pricey IMO.

Offline Ragman

• Tent User
if you are going to do it, do it right. you only live once.