Author Topic: NRL Season 2017  (Read 61563 times)

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: NRL Season 2017
« Reply #175 on: September 11, 2017, 01:51:40 PM »
They say to watch Fridays game to see what 'The Rule of the Week' is that they are told to clamp down on - and its true in AFL, dunno about NRL

in the NRL, it's the first couple of weeks of the season and a couple of weeks after origin 3...

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #176 on: September 11, 2017, 01:58:10 PM »
Quote from: paceman
in the NRL, it's the first couple of weeks of the season and a couple of weeks after origin 3...
AFL changes horribly during the season.
Round 1-5 - Pick on anything with fine tooth comb as you have warned the teams you would.. EG: head high
Round 6-18 pick on nothing and let head high go to decapitation levels. Everyone gets used to it and the game is better in some ways as it flows and isn't full of stop start free kicks.
Round 19-23 rounds pick on anything again and be even pickier on microscopic things that you've let go all year to confuse everyone. The only thing I can put it down to is the umps are trying to make a claim for themselves to get picked for the finals as they are AwesomeUmpire from the planet Krypton..

Consistency across a whole weekend would be nice.. across a season - not humanly possible.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline rags

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #177 on: September 11, 2017, 07:05:30 PM »
dubious calls have been going on since 1908...

it's just that now we get to see them up-close, with different angles and in HD...

Unfortunately for the game and the NRL, never has there been as much focus on the game.
The NRL decided to use this technology to its advantage to ensure we get correct rulings.
These measures now include 2 touch judges, 2 refs who have ear pieces which are wired to officials in the bunker, then the bunker itself with 2 refs, more tv screens than in a Harvey Norman store, camera angles galore, close up shots , slow motion and real time vision, frame by frame, they have the lot but they still can't get it right.
In an era now past the ref did it as an amateur, making calls all on his own and did make mistakes but rightly so, was protected from criticism. Move to today's ref system, we have a squad of professionals refs (it's there job) earning approx $150000 or more, they have a coaching staff of 4. A difficult job yes but it is their job.
Like the professional players and coaches they are part of the game and so subject to criticism and in my view the refs also should be. Those refs should also have to sit at a press conference and answer questions as part of their professional role.
It is fine for the punters to critique the actions of the coaches like Flanagan but to fine these blokes $20k for it is a joke.
Now I'm not a supporter of any teams in the finals, but hate seeing bad decisions ruin a good game.
My other gripe is the the laying in the tackle, the twisting of a player in the tackle so he faces the wrong way when he gets up, the giving away a penalty when defending their line  all designed to slow the play to enable the defence to be set. Also the other one was the storm player wasting time in the end of game .

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #178 on: September 11, 2017, 07:16:06 PM »
Quote from: rags
Those refs should also have to sit at a press conference and answer questions as part of their professional role.
Why not? Coaches are forced to.

how sweet would that be... the KFC Bunker for refs...
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Steffo1

• Hard Top Camper User
  • More I learn about women, more I like my ute
« Reply #179 on: September 11, 2017, 07:56:26 PM »
I tend to agree but then we'd need a "Bunker" for the Bunker blokes, ad infinitum!

Does any other sport have a Referee/Umpire/Adjudicator, face the panel, please explain, sort of system?
Steve
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 07:58:08 PM by Steffo1 »
'93 4.2 TD 'Cruiser 'tilly
'08 TD V6 Disco 3
'10 16' Evernew Pop Top

"sit bonum tempora volvunt"

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #180 on: September 11, 2017, 08:02:07 PM »
My other gripe is the the laying in the tackle, the twisting of a player in the tackle so he faces the wrong way when he gets up, the giving away a penalty when defending their line  all designed to slow the play to enable the defence to be set.

Yeah everyone hates Paul Gallen...... ;D ;D  :angel:

Offline listo

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #181 on: September 11, 2017, 08:42:35 PM »
Yeah everyone hates Paul Gallen...... ;D ;D  :angel:

Yeah, everyone hates Gallen & rightly so, but only a one eyed Queenslander could go straight for him & forget about Melbourne Storm
The following users thanked this post: Hairs

Offline listo

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #182 on: September 11, 2017, 08:56:38 PM »
The NRL isn't a great product to watch these days IMO. Within 6 or 7 years I've gone from watching every game of every round to watching my team when I can.
There's too many cameras & too much scrutiny of the officials & I've been guilty of it myself in the past. Go back to the past, it was great to watch & we saw close to what the ref & touchy saw.
Favoured teams get the rub of the green & late in the game there normally is the evening out penalties. That seems to be the way it is. I wonder if all this would be happening if it wasn't so heavily sponsored by sports betting?
I prefer to watch junior football these days as it is harder to predict

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #183 on: September 11, 2017, 09:18:20 PM »
I struggle to watch it at times with the likes of Gould, Johns, Fitler and Lockyer as commentators. Gould is a knob who likes the sound of his own voice, and the other 3 struggle to put a sentence together between them. I refuse to pay to watch telly, so the other option is a just don't watch it at times now.
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t
The following users thanked this post: Hairs

Offline rags

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #184 on: September 11, 2017, 10:11:40 PM »

I tend to agree somewhat,  although I did have a season pass this year to the Bronco's although not as a Bronco supporter, It was just an excuse to go somewhere after work on Friday night out watching the footy at a good venue. (Do Broncos play any other night?)

As someone who grew up in Balmain heartland and going to Leichhart oval that was footy for supporters (tribal with rivals). It was my dream to play for the Tigers but could never quite crack a grade spot, but still love the Tigers ( the Balmain variety)

For me the most enjoyable footy to watch is Sydney Club rugby at TG MIlner field watching the Woodies ( Eastwood) go round whilst sitting on the verandah of the rugby club beer in hand. The rugby is an excuse to meet my mates and I ensure that I fly  back for at least one game each year.
I've seen Rugby do good things with brothers young bloke who ended up at the ACT Brumbies and has since travelled the world playing Rugby. They take a young kid, place him with a host family, line him up with a club side Eastwood then Sydney Uni, put him through Uni. They spoiled him in someways by paying him a lot of money but at least there was a programme beyond footy to educate and provide career opportunity. He made a success of it and now in Ireland.
Not quite sure that the NRL players are afforded such opportunities.

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #185 on: September 13, 2017, 06:24:54 AM »
No idea how Tedesco beat Smith for the players player of the year award last night...I'm a Wests supporter and reckon Smith was more consistent all year long (as he always is) then Teddy. Tedesco went off the boil for nearly half the season during the contracts saga, he played well at the end of the season but not aswell as he played last year.

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #186 on: September 13, 2017, 07:23:47 AM »
No idea how Tedesco beat Smith for the players player of the year award last night...I'm a Wests supporter and reckon Smith was more consistent all year long (as he always is) then Teddy. Tedesco went off the boil for nearly half the season during the contracts saga, he played well at the end of the season but not aswell as he played last year.

because a majority of players are from NSW?  player's player is a popularity contest, much like most of the awards that happen nowadays...

dead right about tedesco's non-consistency throughout the year.  why not taumalolo?  carried the cowboys all year...

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #187 on: September 13, 2017, 09:39:40 AM »
Quote from: Rumpig
I'm a Wests supporter
that answers a lot   ;D ;D ;D

Quote from: paceman
  player's player is a popularity contest, much like most of the awards that happen nowadays...
So sad but so true...
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #188 on: September 13, 2017, 09:48:58 AM »
So sad but so true...

not so much sad, but just another thing for the media to fawn over and overblow...

do they think that Cam Smith gives a rats arse about this award?  the only award/honour he would remotely care about is being an immortal (or possibly the dally m), and even then they are both  very flawed awards nowadays.

Offline Moggy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #189 on: September 13, 2017, 10:57:44 AM »
Isn't he president (or something) of the Rlpa, if he'd won it would be akin to bank ceo's giving themselves a bonus.
I'd reckon he'd only be interested in premiership glory at this stage of the year

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

All men dream but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible.
T.E. Lawrence

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #190 on: September 13, 2017, 11:12:17 AM »
Isn't he president (or something) of the Rlpa, if he'd won it would be akin to bank ceo's giving themselves a bonus.
I'd reckon he'd only be interested in premiership glory at this stage of the year

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk

yep and yep...

https://www.rlpa.com.au/rlpa-board/

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #191 on: September 13, 2017, 11:31:25 AM »
because a majority of players are from NSW?  player's player is a popularity contest, much like most of the awards that happen nowadays...

dead right about tedesco's non-consistency throughout the year.  why not taumalolo?  carried the cowboys all year...
you pretty much wrote what I was thinking with it being a NSW versus Qld thing as to why he missed out...yes it's a popularity thing in the end, but the guy has broken so many records and playing some of his best footy ever this year, so surely the players could be mature enough to vote for the best alround player of the year, which is what the award is supposably about.
Does he care?...it would be nice to win he'd think if he won it, but i'm sure the Grand Final, Origin and Dally M means a lot more to him.

Offline rags

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #192 on: September 13, 2017, 11:56:38 AM »

It would be interesting to see the statistics on this statement.
We have NSW players, Qld players, NSW players who think their Qld players, then we have the Kiwi players and then more than a few Polynesian players and a couple of Englishmen.

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #193 on: September 13, 2017, 12:03:29 PM »
Quote from: Rumpig
... so surely the players could be mature enough
take a long hard look at many of them LMAO
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #194 on: September 13, 2017, 12:47:09 PM »
It would be interesting to see the statistics on this statement.
We have NSW players, Qld players, NSW players who think their Qld players, then we have the Kiwi players and then more than a few Polynesian players and a couple of Englishmen.

i was being a little facetious with my NSW comment, but...

more than half the teams in the comp are loosely identified as NSW teams (10 clubs, including newcastle), or they are not identified as more qld-leaning clubs (canberra and warriors)...

that's 12 out of 16 that would more likely have a lean towards NSW, rather than QLD, when it comes to player relationships/friendships and general exposure...

not very scientific  :D , but if you think that tedesco had a better season than smith (or taumalolo, cleary, vunivalu, the trbojevic brothers and gagai for that matter), then something is a bit off...

i mean, aaron woods (the biggest myth in the NRL, IMO) was picked as the starting prop...  what more needs to be said?  >:D

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #195 on: September 13, 2017, 01:09:19 PM »
The NRL isn't a great product to watch these days IMO. Within 6 or 7 years I've gone from watching every game of every round to watching my team when I can.

Couldn't agree more with this.
Gone from mad keen supporter to maybe if I can be bothered to watch the highlights here and there.

And I also enjoy junior footy much more these days.
My nephew played in the junior NQ comp recently and it was an awesome 3 days of footy. Even the girls put on a show.

For me personally it's the way the professional game has been taken over by gambling and Gus is what has turned me off the most.
Origin is the only professional round that I get excited about these days and if NSW don't turn up and play like they wanna be there some time soon I recon I'll be off that too.

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #196 on: September 13, 2017, 08:37:09 PM »

why not taumalolo?  carried the cowboys all year...

Cowboys ???  Who are they ???
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline Moggy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #197 on: September 13, 2017, 08:44:03 PM »
Sharks supporter eh!

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

All men dream but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity; but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible.
T.E. Lawrence

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #198 on: September 14, 2017, 06:23:01 AM »

the one's still in the finals race... and with a great chance to beat parra, as well...

« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 06:29:08 AM by paceman »

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #199 on: September 14, 2017, 06:34:56 AM »
the one's still in the finals race... and with a great chance to beat parra, as well...
i'll be very surprised if they beat Parra...I didn't think the Cows would win, but Cronulla have been abit ordinary for a while now, Parra have been playing great footy against top teams lately and are in much better form then Crunulla were. Hope the Cows get up, but they need to improve and step it up to be a real chance on the weekend