Author Topic: Stoney creek or black series?  (Read 17881 times)

Offline AnnaDwyer1993

• Learning the Ropes
Stoney creek or black series?
« on: August 10, 2016, 09:39:46 PM »
My husband and I have been doing a lot of research on Front fold campers. We have narrowed it down to 2 stoney creek and black series. We have found a lot of reviews online about black series (more bad then good) but we haven't found many if any on stoney creek. This concerns us as it is odd that there is nothing out there. We have been to the stoney creek showroom as well as seen them at shows and we loved them but they are a little more expensive. Where with the black series they are more value for money with a lot of added extras. But again a lot of bad reviews online. Could someone please help us. If you have either of these campers we would love to hear from you with your feed back.

Thanks a lot Anna
Anna 🙂

Offline DrewXT

• Hard Floor Camper User
Re: Stoney creek or black series?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2016, 10:37:07 PM »
I've read good reviews about the Stoney Creeks, and some OK about the company we can't talk of on the forum.

I think it depends what you need in a camper.  We looked at a locally delivered variant of the Stoney Creek (Bluewater), and briefly glanced at the other one, and the Bluewater would be the hands down winner, based on after sales support reputation.  Pretty sure Broadwater Campers are the same camper shell as the Stoney Creek, and they have an excellent reputation as well

In the end we've narrowed OUR selection based on hands off research down to the Modcon Quattro, based on the reputation of the camper, and the pre-sales from Nick at Regional Campers...

We MAY change our minds, but doubt it at this stage, as we're more about a quality product AND after sales service being a total package for anything we buy

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
2013 Amarok Highline
2015 Customline Adventure Walkup

Offline AnnaDwyer1993

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2016, 01:01:49 AM »
Hi DrewXT can I ask why we can't talk a bout the other brand on this forum? That to me sounds a bit sus?

Anna 🙂

Offline nab

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2016, 01:40:45 AM »
Black Series were the brand below in a former life, just renamed. They didn't like all the negative comments, however deserved...

http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=31568.msg496070#msg496070
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 01:43:45 AM by nab »
2005 Jayco Dove - sold
2003 Coromal Pioneer XC

Offline AnnaDwyer1993

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2016, 06:12:27 AM »
Hmm. That makes for a very interesting read and dosnt make me feel anymore comfortable about them. But we still want to hear more about stoney creek ff campers. Thanks for sharing that with me
Anna 🙂

Offline listo

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2016, 07:27:19 AM »
I saw a broken camper that can't be spoken about out the back of Morten Telegraph Station waiting for parts to be shipped in. It was on it's way up, not down.

Offline Steffo1

• Hard Top Camper User
  • More I learn about women, more I like my ute
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2016, 09:29:32 AM »
G'day Anna. Just as an aside, have you looked at the "Austrack" camper up at Caboolture?
I too looked around for quite a while considering a FF change from our Goldstream  & found them a nice "imported" unit. A lot better than the "Voldermort" brand. If I'd gone ahead with the change, it would have been a showdown between an "Austrack" or "Stoney Creek".
Good Luck
Steve

p.s. We're staying with our beloved Goldie for various benefits over a FF. Just our opinions, mind.
'93 4.2 TD 'Cruiser 'tilly
'08 TD V6 Disco 3
'10 16' Evernew Pop Top

"sit bonum tempora volvunt"

Offline DrewXT

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2016, 12:01:14 PM »
I wonder how they who must not be named are dealing with negative feedback on Facebook?   I reckon Facebook has better lawyers...

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

2013 Amarok Highline
2015 Customline Adventure Walkup

Offline Coiled

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2016, 12:25:15 PM »
No personal experience with the brand but it looks like the owner of Stoney Creek is the founder of Trackabout which has a very strong name. Unsure if that name has been strong since origin or came about with new ownership. Assuming the former it is fair to think they would be trying to achieve similar goals.

https://www.stoneycreekcampers.com.au/about
2013 Nissan Patrol Y61
2015 Kimberley Karavan Eco Suite

Offline Steffo1

• Hard Top Camper User
  • More I learn about women, more I like my ute
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2016, 12:44:17 PM »
No personal experience with the brand but it looks like the owner of Stoney Creek is the founder of Trackabout which has a very strong name. Unsure if that name has been strong since origin or came about with new ownership. Assuming the former it is fair to think they would be trying to achieve similar goals.

https://www.stoneycreekcampers.com.au/about
Yep, the former is quite correct. One thing I noted about the S/Creek was that all under trailer wires were in a conduit & not exposed to flying projectiles from tyres or sticks etc.
'93 4.2 TD 'Cruiser 'tilly
'08 TD V6 Disco 3
'10 16' Evernew Pop Top

"sit bonum tempora volvunt"

Offline barrel01

• Tent User
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2016, 01:15:17 PM »
I have a mate with a Stoney creek and I have a Black Series and we are both happy with them. One thing to note with regards to towing. My tow ball weight comes in at 185kg and his is 225kg but let's face it all forward folds are heavy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline muzza01

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Y62 S5 Nissan Patrol and Tanami 13 Hybrid
    • Photobucket Muz
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2016, 05:25:41 PM »
Hmm. That makes for a very interesting read and dosnt make me feel anymore comfortable about them. But we still want to hear more about stoney creek ff campers. Thanks for sharing that with me
You won't find a lot of feedback about them (the company not to be named) as this forum wasn't the only one to receive a letter.

Offline rsteedman

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2016, 07:59:54 PM »
My in-laws just bought a FF Stoney Creek and I bought a FF Black Series.

90% of the negative reviews are customer service related. I've already made it clear to Steve at the Brisbane office that I won't be taking any rubbish. I work a few minutes from them so I have the luxury of forcing them to speak to me if it comes to that.

He assures me that the company has changed since it's rebranding and he insisted I get a small scratch that happened in transit repaired under warranty. Not that I care about a little scratch, but as he said: you wouldn't cop it on a brand new car, why would you accept it on a $20k trailer?

I'll let you know which is better over the next few months. The SC has already gone back to have a seal replaced. It then failed again straight away but my father in-law fixed it the second time.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Offline AnnaDwyer1993

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2016, 09:39:23 PM »
I really appreciate everyone's feedback. But we have not decided on either of these campers. After going to talk to the black series mob and not getting anything convincing from them and stoney creek were great but unfortunately we just wernt sold. We went to have a look at Mars campers and we were sold immediately. Customer service. The product. The price. Everything about them just seemed right. We are still subject to finance but after we get all approved and the ball starts rolling I'll do another update :)

Anna
Anna 🙂

Offline muzza01

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Y62 S5 Nissan Patrol and Tanami 13 Hybrid
    • Photobucket Muz
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2016, 07:23:37 AM »
Sometimes a company can change its brand name to try and imp over its reputation. Sometimes this works, sometimes it doesn't.

Due to restrictions about said 3 letter company I won't post a link to the website "Product Review" but a simple search brings complaints as recent as this month about customer service and faulty goods.

Offline BrindleHounds

• Swag User
Stoney creek or black series?
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2016, 07:43:06 AM »
Hi Anna, I have been in the same boat as you recently. Deciding to buy a FF camper and then doing a lot of research on them. I narrowed it down to Modcon, Stoney Creek and Ezytrail.

I went down to the Gold Coast caravan show a few weeks ago to have a look at them all, and others in the metal.

In the end, after getting eyes on we went with one that had not even crossed my mind before going to the show. That is the Skamper Kamper Dingo.

Here is my novel of reasons for going the Skamper:

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Emyswag%2Eorg%2Findex%2Ephp%3Ftopic%3D49224&share_tid=49224&share_fid=54922&share_type=t

But in the end the Stoney Creek is a good looking product if it ticks all your boxes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 07:57:07 AM by BrindleHounds »

Offline trilobite

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2017, 07:16:00 PM »
Hello All,
FWIW, we bought an Australian made SC-FF6 for our family last year, after seeing it at the Bris Caravan and Camping show. We fell in love with it based on a few things (ease of setup - I can flip it open without the painful winches, hard floor which is off then ground, heaps of room, welded construction etc etc.
We mainly travel in land and rarely do beach work at all.  We have sold it within the 8 months we have had it for the following reasons:

Poor design: My brother in law says it was designed by blokes - built strong but without thought eg, the trailer cannot be accessed closed up as the struts cut across the door, so you have to open it up to access anything inside while in transit - you soon learn to become a smart packer. The drawers in the front storage cabinets slide out and clip the internal seal of the door and eventually cut through it after one or two trips - suggest a simple door latch to prevent it swinging back on itself would be a useful asset.
There are only 2 sets of lights in the van interior, both controlled only by a rocker switch on the control panel - so you have to hop out of bed to turn the lights on/off - a simple in line switch in proximity to the lights and your bed end (ie for reading) would go a long way.  Oh, your main water tank is in front of the axle and the smaller in the rear this just adds to the heavy front loading which could have been offset if they were reversed. After a few months on the road we also noticed that the exterior front storage cabinets started coming away from the main body of the van - something was bending somewhere?  Being steel makes them strong and did I mention heavy (see below), but as soon as you get a stone chip (even though we got the stone guard) it will still get them and it will rust - eventually you will start to get a great Ocre coloured streaks along your paintwork - something the alloy imports don't have to worry about.

Extremely heavy: The down weight on the tow ball is IMO extraordinary even when unpacked, god help you when you fully packed up you will need a heavy duty tow ball. We ended up putting another jockey wheel on as the one on it was too short and too flimsy - the new jockey wheel was a long reach one as we found most campsites had you at such an angle that you didn't have enough reach with the std one, not only that it started to flay outwards due to the excessive weight on the front draw bar. While they do tow well, they are heavy and so expect to be dropping into your power band when on any hills. The lead for lights and brakes is way too short and so an extension is needed.  Oh I hope you don't have to take your batteries out while you own it - you have about a 1/3 turning space with a open/ring spanner (cant get a socket in there) and so will take you some time to get them out.

The redundant Features: The sink doesn't rely on a simple pressure switch to turn the water on and off when plugged in.  You have to connect another lead so that the pump works - redundant feature IMO something the Black series doesn't have to do. When I ask the sales people why they said it was so that your water won't come on while travelling and inside your van - however your water is not connected while travelling - go figure!.  Also your main pump switch is on the opposite side of the van to your kitchen.

The heater unit that was supposed to come with the camper was at that time experiencing problems so we were provided with a Cube hot water system - great in summer (when it worked) , no good in winter (when it worked) as it would only heat the water to 30C above ambient, so at 5C winter camping a 35c shower is not pleasant.  To be fair to SCC, this is not their unit so they can't be blamed for the poor performance of the Cube

The Canvas Issues:
The canvas skirt on the pull out bed is way too short and barely grabs the first row of velcro on the underside of the pullout frame. In a good storm rain it comes in. 
Speaking of water coming in I shall elaborate.  The following is the main issue as to why we sold the van. After buying the van we did all the normal canvas prep stuff, ie set it up in the yard for two weeks, wet it 2-3 times a day and let it dry. Off for our first camp just north or Brisbane for a Fri/Sat night. Sat it rained and you guessed it the canvassed leaked - mainly at the stitching - fair enough it was still new and maybe needed further seasoning.
So at home - further seasoning and some seam sealer. It appears all good now.  Off to the great Ocean Road. Storms at Merimbula on the second night - the seams leaked even more then before - all personnel at the ready to catch drips and mop up for 2-3 hrs.
Next day even more seam sealer and we should be right - wrong - still leaking. The remainder of our 3 week trip was spent each night shrouding the camper in a massive tarp - anyone seeking an experience of sleeping in a shopping bag in a windstorm should do this type of camping

Ok we are home again now and so get the camper professionally treated with the best water proofing agent (two coats just for peace of mind please) you can buy (still can't find my right leg after cutting it off to pay for the treatment).

Ok back in the saddle and out to Murphys Creek (near Toowoomba) for a quick camp. You guessed it it drizzled for the two days and well now all the canvass leaked as well as the seams - it was akin to being in a cave with dripping ceiling.

While back as the shop getting some spare parts I spoke to the salesman about the leaking (still under warranty right!) and he said to speak to the boys in the repair shop because they had experienced a bad batch of canvas and so worth getting it checked out. Three weeks later after dropping it off to the repair shop for a replacement kitchen - no luck with the warranty as they said they were not going to cover it.  I suspect this is why they have now developed the next model with a built in tent fly set up that pops up with the canvas.

Look over all they are what they are (but for the price you would expect more) and I am sure that they have improved their design. But I would seriously look all campers with the above in mind and like someone has said earlier - if you can hire or rent one to try then do so before you buy.

Good luck with your search.

Offline chillipepperz

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2017, 07:41:08 PM »
Great first post Trilobite. Sorry to hear of your problems with the camper. The more I read about camper and caravan quality for huge $$$ the more I am convinced my next trailer or van will be another DIY effort. You mention the SC-FF6 as being "Australian made"...are you sure? It seems to me to be another Chinese import that may have some local assembly. http://www.caravancampingsales.com.au/editorial/news/2015/stoney-creek-has-six-appeal-51008

Cheers!
Andrew
Alumina Hardtop Camper Build: http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=22809.0