Author Topic: G'day! Bart here from Joolca - Portable LPG Water heaters.  (Read 254093 times)

Offline trngia

• Tent User
Re: G'day! Bart here from Joolca - Portable LPG Water heaters.
« Reply #325 on: March 31, 2017, 04:04:58 PM »
Hey Brenton, will PM you in a sec!

Well, to go through your questions:

- We aren't able to split up contents, so, the HOTTAP will need to come with the shower hose, shower head, gas hose and regulator
- Now, the HOTTAP doesn't have an on/ off switch, but you can mimic a switch by just removing the batteries. Our battery compartment (custom design and custom mould) is insane - all you need to do is push in the compartment, it will click and pop out. If you remove the batteries then the unit won't power on and you can run cold water
- Pretty nice set up, T piece would definitely be convenient for a shower/ sink set up

In terms of the mixer tap, I'm not the absolute best here but maybe someone can add some coin to this scenario

I don't have a specific mixer, nor have I spoken with people who recommend a certain type or style. Steve and I spoke a bit about mixers a couple pages back, and this might help with info here:

My reply:

So, I'd try go two pumps - one for hot and one for cold. This, in my head, seems the easiest way and it also guarantees flow in both lines. One line might cause some dramas. But this is just from my experience with others :)

Hope this helps!

@ trngia

Very good suggestion by tazzi, it might actually be the batteries. Especially if the unit was working already and then kind of just stopped firing up. Basically, like tazzi said, not enough juice from the batteries to open up the gas side of things - but enough to get the piezo firing away.

We are open now so please give us a call if you need to :)
Thanks. I will give it a go when we get it out again. Stranded for a few days in all the flooding over east so hopefully we will be back to normal soon :-)

Offline trngia

• Tent User
G'day! Bart here from Joolca - Portable LPG Water heaters.
« Reply #326 on: April 01, 2017, 03:15:39 PM »
Okay. It's Saturday unfortunately. I have now changed the battery and hooked it all up again. Still not working. Says battery is full and it tries to ignite but still nothing. Full bottle of gas connected and tried purging but it makes no difference. Any other ideas from anyone or will wait until Monday to try again.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2017, 06:08:35 PM by trngia »

Offline db

• 2019 National Meet Volunteer
  • Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #327 on: April 02, 2017, 08:41:57 AM »
Hi trngia,

I've had similar sounding problems with mine in the past when the water flow rate was too low. From memory it needs at least 4.6 ppm or more.
Modcon Quattro
NW Pajero GLX-R

Offline Bart@Joolca

• Tent User
    • Joolca
« Reply #328 on: April 03, 2017, 12:09:45 PM »
@ trngia

If you are able to, please give us a bell today. Definitely annoying not having things working especially as it all seems like it should be? But yeah, please call us :)

I came a cross a similar issue once. The unit was working fine and then had the same 'clicking but not igniting' issue. Batteries were changed and the same thing was happening. From here it turned out the batteries were new from a store, but expired. Not always the case, but you'd be interested to know how many times this has happened. Some stores don't cycle the batteries and they just sit there.

Or, it could just be the unit has another fault? Something that we might need to diagnose over the phone :)

Aside from this, db has a point, could be low flow of water. If you have not enough flow you might get the click, but it could be on the verge of opening the micro switch completely. Maybe a clogged filter, clogged water inlet (small mesh screen on inside of the water fitting) could be blocking some flow.

There's a few different things our support goes through, so, please call in. Very keen to get this sorted as the last thing you need is for this not to work while the flooding is taking place. Hope you and the family are all safe BTW!
Instant & never ending hot water. Anywhere.

www.joolca.com.au

Offline Adzy

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #329 on: April 03, 2017, 01:49:15 PM »
G'day Bart,

Can you PM me with a price for the HOTTAP OUTING and shower stand.

Cheers mate

Offline n_green

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #330 on: April 03, 2017, 02:12:49 PM »
Hi Bart,

Can I also be pm'd with a price on the hottap outing, outback plumbing and ensuite tent please.

Cheers,

Nathan

Offline Bart@Joolca

• Tent User
    • Joolca
« Reply #331 on: April 03, 2017, 03:32:00 PM »
Sorted lads! Thanks   ;D

www.joolca.com.au

Offline trngia

• Tent User
« Reply #332 on: April 03, 2017, 07:19:21 PM »
@ trngia

If you are able to, please give us a bell today. Definitely annoying not having things working especially as it all seems like it should be? But yeah, please call us :)

I came a cross a similar issue once. The unit was working fine and then had the same 'clicking but not igniting' issue. Batteries were changed and the same thing was happening. From here it turned out the batteries were new from a store, but expired. Not always the case, but you'd be interested to know how many times this has happened. Some stores don't cycle the batteries and they just sit there.

Or, it could just be the unit has another fault? Something that we might need to diagnose over the phone :)

Aside from this, db has a point, could be low flow of water. If you have not enough flow you might get the click, but it could be on the verge of opening the micro switch completely. Maybe a clogged filter, clogged water inlet (small mesh screen on inside of the water fitting) could be blocking some flow.

There's a few different things our support goes through, so, please call in. Very keen to get this sorted as the last thing you need is for this not to work while the flooding is taking place. Hope you and the family are all safe BTW!
Thanks Bart. Called up today and spoke to Mac.  Will call again tomorrow when I have it setup to do some tests.  Rich.

Offline Bart@Joolca

• Tent User
    • Joolca
« Reply #333 on: April 04, 2017, 09:08:29 AM »
Sweet as, Mac will sort you out. He's actually my older brother  ;D

www.joolca.com.au

Offline prado2004

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #334 on: April 04, 2017, 02:27:18 PM »
Hey bart, quick question about the shower ensuite. is there a hole in the side somewhere under the cover for the roof to easily slide a hose in from the top? all of the externatal shower box's on the vans are mounted waist height or higher. the hoses on them range from 1.2-1.5m high so by the time you drop it down and bring it under the shower ensuite they dont reach high enough. if not when you order the next lot can you make this provision and i will grab one? either a slot under the roof in the corner or a zip up opening at the back of the shower would work well.
2012 4dr JK wrangler, 3.5" AEV lift, AEV mags, 35" muddies, front/rear arb bars, tjm sliders, pioneer platform and some other goodies
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=47825.0

Custom Camper with solar, gas hot water & fully self sufficient 
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=35159.0

Offline Jamie888

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #335 on: April 04, 2017, 09:47:51 PM »
Guys, would this pump work ok with the hot tap?

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Hot-Sale-Boat-Amarine-made-12V-5-0-gpm-60-PSI-WASHDOWN-DECK-WASH-PUMP-KIT-/252134885822?hash=item3ab46909be:g:AsMAAOSwal5YD0ia

I want something that will feed the Joolca and be useful enough to washdown surfboards etc.

Thank you,

Offline Bart@Joolca

• Tent User
    • Joolca
« Reply #336 on: April 06, 2017, 01:06:00 PM »
@ prado2004

The shower section actually has a zip up opening about waist high specifically for external shower boxes. Send me a PM with your email and I'll email back some images to see if I'm on the same page as you  ;D

BTW - not sure if I already mentioned this to everyone, but check out the Ensuite Plumbing (for anyone that has one of our Ensuite Tents)

https://www.joolca.com.au/ensuiteplumbing

I had a play with our sample a while ago and this kit is actually pretty cool. You leave it installed inside the tent (even when you pack up and put the tent away, leave it installed). Check out the above link, the images will show you what I'm talking about :) BTW - not trying to plug or push sales here (I don't like to do that haha). I'm actually genuinely excited and I think those of you who have a tent and don't have a shower stand or anything yet - look into this

@ Jamie888

The pump should be fine - pressure pump is what you want as well which is good. The flow is actually pretty high and you might find that it will pulsate (especially when using the low flow setting on the HOTTAP) and heat up a tad more. But yeah, should be good to go! :)

www.joolca.com.au

Offline prado2004

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #337 on: April 06, 2017, 02:31:23 PM »
awesome thats great
2012 4dr JK wrangler, 3.5" AEV lift, AEV mags, 35" muddies, front/rear arb bars, tjm sliders, pioneer platform and some other goodies
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=47825.0

Custom Camper with solar, gas hot water & fully self sufficient 
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=35159.0

Offline peter_mcc

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #338 on: April 06, 2017, 09:58:26 PM »
What size is the gas fitting on the Joolca heater? I'm trying to find an adaptor which goes from the Joolca fitting to a 1/4" BSP male so I can use the same fittings as our Tvan stove. Is it 3/8" SAE?

Offline Mark L

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #339 on: April 06, 2017, 11:04:14 PM »
Hey Bart

Do you guys supply a longer shower hose?   Was thinking up to 10m so I can put the shower far enough away from the campsite so as not to leave a mud patch close by.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Bart@Joolca

• Tent User
    • Joolca
« Reply #340 on: April 07, 2017, 11:06:40 AM »
Hey Peter, you got it right. The gas inlet is 3/8" SAE (standard BBQ gas hose size) - good luck with the search!

Hey Mark, we actually don't, but you could no doubt rig one up yourself if you really wanted to. The water connections we use are standard, so, your local hardware store would be the go.

To be honest, I probably wouldn't go too long with the outlet hose as you would lose some heat through the line. Plus, a 10m line means you would need to push out 10m of water between showers (cold water as it could cool down depending on time between use). The 5m supplied line (at 9.5mm) is actually a pretty good situation. I know exactly what you mean about the outlet length and mud, but I'm just being a bit cautious. Could always rig up a longer outlet and test for yourself - and prove me wrong. I'm always happy to learn more stuff and get different input (makes me sound smarter when I give that info to someone else  :cup:)

Anyone got thoughts to help the mud patch?

www.joolca.com.au

Offline peter_mcc

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #341 on: April 07, 2017, 11:10:41 AM »
Hey Peter, you got it right. The gas inlet is 3/8" SAE (standard BBQ gas hose size) - good luck with the search!

What's the thread on the actual heater (ie before the brass 3/8" fitting)? It's going to be a smige too long to fit in the storage box with the Joolca brass adaptor then my 3/8" SAE to 1/4" BSP adaptor then the Tvan quick connect - if I could cut out one adaptor I'd probably be ok. Why does it say not to remove the brass bit?

Offline Bart@Joolca

• Tent User
    • Joolca
« Reply #342 on: April 07, 2017, 02:11:53 PM »
Ohhhh - I get you. That's 1/2" BSP

It says not to remove it because we get ours permanently fixed on from factory. As part of the Aussie Gas Approvals we need to supply with that little 1/2" to 3/8" adaptor as this is a portable unit. From what I understand, if we just left it at the 1/2" then this promotes a more permanent fitting (or something along these lines) and the gas guys say that's a no no.

I wouldn't attempt to remove the brass adaptor as, chances are, the inlet will crack. So, I see what you mean when you say it won't fit in the storage box, but it's one of those safety things we had to comply with. You win some, you lose some..Hope this info helps?

www.joolca.com.au

Offline Mark L

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #343 on: April 07, 2017, 09:52:47 PM »

Hey Mark, we actually don't, but you could no doubt rig one up yourself if you really wanted to. The water connections we use are standard, so, your local hardware store would be the go.

To be honest, I probably wouldn't go too long with the outlet hose as you would lose some heat through the line. Plus, a 10m line means you would need to push out 10m of water between showers (cold water as it could cool down depending on time between use). The 5m supplied line (at 9.5mm) is actually a pretty good situation. I know exactly what you mean about the outlet length and mud, but I'm just being a bit cautious. Could always rig up a longer outlet and test for yourself - and prove me wrong. I'm always happy to learn more stuff and get different input (makes me sound smarter when I give that info to someone else  :cup:)

Anyone got thoughts to help the mud patch?
Thanks Bart. I get what you are saying. Perhaps I will just make up an additional 5m extension that I can attach to the existing 5m hose and then have the flex to use either depending on the campsite.

Any idea where I can get the same hose and couplings you use here in Adelaide?

Offline peter_mcc

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #344 on: April 07, 2017, 11:38:26 PM »
Any idea where I can get the same hose and couplings you use here in Adelaide?

You can use standard garden hose & fittings. The nice blue/red hose is a Joolca special... I haven't seen it anywhere else.

I noticed this at Bunnings the other day - it looks like it might fit the Joolca hose.
https://www.bunnings.com.au/pope-8mm-flow-through-connector_p3120421

They also have hose the same diameter:
https://www.bunnings.com.au/pope-8mm-x-15m-patio-garden-hose_p3110563
https://www.bunnings.com.au/kinetic-8mm-x-5m-reinforced-pressure-hose_p4920249

Offline Mark L

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #345 on: April 09, 2017, 05:48:30 PM »
Thanks peter_mcc.  Will check it out

Offline Bart@Joolca

• Tent User
    • Joolca
« Reply #346 on: April 10, 2017, 02:45:44 PM »
Nice find Peter! All fittings and hosing looks pretty sweet :)

Make sure you get a quick coupler from Bunnings as well so you can connect both hoses together (you prob already knew this but just in case) - something like:
https://www.bunnings.com.au/gardena-double-end-coupling-hose-fitting-connector_p3110390

www.joolca.com.au

Offline Mark L

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #347 on: April 10, 2017, 08:28:34 PM »
Yep, thanks Bart. Went this evening and got them. They'll do the trick nicely!

Offline Bart@Joolca

• Tent User
    • Joolca
« Reply #348 on: April 11, 2017, 11:35:46 AM »
Yep, thanks Bart. Went this evening and got them. They'll do the trick nicely!

:cup:

www.joolca.com.au

Offline Alientoejam

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #349 on: April 17, 2017, 04:43:26 PM »
Hi Bart,

Can you PM me with a price for the HOTTAP OUTING.

Thanks,
Jens