Author Topic: CT and 4WD magazines  (Read 3487 times)

Offline olddigger

• Soft Floor Camper User
CT and 4WD magazines
« on: July 31, 2011, 12:07:48 AM »
Just read the latest  (No. 20) issue of Camping with your 4WD, which retails for an outrageous $9.95.
Page 17, with a rather lightweight article about the Kimberley, has an information panel about maps and guides, fuel, road conditions etc. Interesting enough in itself.
But then the same information panel appears on P51 in an article about Woko NP in NSW, where it is neither relevant nor interesting.
Not good enough, chaps. Not for the money, and not for people who have a month to read the page proofs.
Also had a look at the new-look Overlander magazine, now taken over by Express Publications. Seems to have dropped the Buyer's Guide section at the back, with technical information about popular 4WDs which I, for one, found most interesting.
No doubt we can look forward (?) to more of Roothy's ramblings and incisive articles about how Toyota LCs are the only real 4WDs on the market, the deep and meaningful need for a 5-inch lift and 56-inch tyres and interminable articles about Cape York and/or the bloody Simpson Desert, the only worthwhile destinations in the country.
Maybe they should change the name of all their magazines to Bogan Buggies. It would be more honest and more accurate.
Cheers, Tony

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
Re: CT and 4WD magazines
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2011, 12:15:49 AM »
Just read the latest  (No. 20) issue of Camping with your 4WD, which retails for an outrageous $9.95.
Page 17, with a rather lightweight article about the Kimberley, has an information panel about maps and guides, fuel, road conditions etc. Interesting enough in itself.
But then the same information panel appears on P51 in an article about Woko NP in NSW, where it is neither relevant nor interesting.
Not good enough, chaps. Not for the money, and not for people who have a month to read the page proofs.
Also had a look at the new-look Overlander magazine, now taken over by Express Publications. Seems to have dropped the Buyer's Guide section at the back, with technical information about popular 4WDs which I, for one, found most interesting.
No doubt we can look forward (?) to more of Roothy's ramblings and incisive articles about how Toyota LCs are the only real 4WDs on the market, the deep and meaningful need for a 5-inch lift and 56-inch tyres and interminable articles about Cape York and/or the bloody Simpson Desert, the only worthwhile destinations in the country.
Maybe they should change the name of all their magazines to Bogan Buggies. It would be more honest and more accurate.
Cheers, Tony
might have to run over to overlander forum for a laugh!
I wont spoil the fact they are doing their 1290482398423098th trip to the high country again for the next few mags ;)
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 12:18:12 AM by Lost »
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline rodsswag

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Always dreamed it, now living it!!!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2011, 03:50:47 PM »
How true!!!!!
I have brought many of these mags and what I have found is that the same stories over and over again.
Swag
Coramal Caravan

Offline HEM19X

• Hard Top Camper User
  • If I agree with you, then we would both be wrong!
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2011, 08:59:38 PM »
After mulling over the issue of:-

1. Repeated "must do" trips to Cape York, Kimberley, Simmo etc etc,
2. The 23rd comparo of Lights, winches, tyres etc etc,
3. I forget how many "hard core modded" tourers with 35" rubber, 6 " lift & needing a calculator to count the number of HID lights they have &
4. Countless DVD's showing how to break, bog or ruin a 4WD, 

I too have decided to stop subscribing to 4WD Action.

The only part I have been looking at recently is the "trips" & for that I will be getting my monthly fix [for a little while longer] from CTT.

Hem

p.s. In my spare time I might get around to cataloguing the track & destinations.

2019 BT50 with custom canopy and lots of fruit. Towing a 2014 Lotus Freelander [welcome to the dark side]

Offline linmac

• Swag User
  • "Git-R-Done"
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2011, 10:16:57 PM »
I stopped buying 4WD ACTION about 9 months ago had enough I buy Camper trailer touring and Camper trailer Australia. We like the places to go and see I just hope they don't drop the ball or ill have nothing to read CCT use to put the GPS coordinates in with the articles on the camp sites very hand thing to do but looks like they have stopped it now ?
GU Patrol 3" lift. 33" BFG's and other odds and sods.  Complete Campsite Fraser Hard Floor

Offline cootha

• Tent User
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2011, 10:28:37 PM »
4wd action and their countless off-shoot magazines should all have the byline: "for idiots, by idiots".  That would be truth in advertising  >:D.

Offline linmac

• Swag User
  • "Git-R-Done"
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2011, 10:53:15 PM »
Your right there. I Don't care who's winch is better or if fitting double ended chrome grease nipples to my uni's will make my 4B go harder.
I just want to see great places and meet good people simple as that
GU Patrol 3" lift. 33" BFG's and other odds and sods.  Complete Campsite Fraser Hard Floor

Offline craigtempo

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • welcome to the party that never ends
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2011, 10:58:30 PM »
I'm hearing u guys .... well reading really....    BUT on the same note i have a camper trailer magazine and in it there are 27 GIC camper trailers shown all through the magazine INCLUDING a road test of the extream model up in the Vic high country .

craig

Offline linmac

• Swag User
  • "Git-R-Done"
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2011, 11:14:03 PM »
Its a bit like that song on the radio they play over and over again and you start to hate it GIC have done the same to me every mag you open DVD you sit down to watch grrrrrrrrrr. but I must admit I was surprised at this months DVD in CCT on the High country       X trail had there trailers in there what happened GIC run out of money ?.
 just when I thought great one DVD with no GIC there it was at the end lol

Macca

Offline mcfqn

• Swag User
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2011, 05:54:57 AM »
i agree with you fellas. i subscribed for 10 years to that magazine and got heaps of free stuff along the way.

by the end of it, it was just the same old rubbish over again. How many times can you read, "is this Australia's best touring 4WD?" and not get sick of it?

I feel they are accommodating for the lowest common denominator - which unfortunately is the bogan :)
2006 Pado V6 towing a 2008 Jayco Swan OB each with mods to make life easier.