Author Topic: Electric Motors for boats, canoes and kayaks  (Read 1916 times)

Offline Campfire

• Soft Floor Camper User
Electric Motors for boats, canoes and kayaks
« on: July 25, 2011, 08:19:24 PM »

I have an interest in anything to do with electric motors for boats, some of the technology out now is pretty impressive and systems like the " Torqueedo" mounted on small boats, canoes and kayaks opens up some exciting possibilities. The top of my list is the Hobie Pro Angler with the Torqueedo central drive and power pack system as the Pinnicle of this example with outstanding performance and ease of use. I use electric motor and want to build my own small portable boat ( similar to Hobie Pro Angler) and build my own internal electric motor and power system from the numerous DYI plans you can access off the WWW. Lots of people are going electric on a variety of small personal water craft and I imagine there would be a few on this site also.

Minn Kota , WaterSnake and Torqueedo are common examples of what's on the market.

They certainly do have their advantages which I've found on numerous fishing and diving trips.

Plenty of forum sites where you can get support if your keen to build your own electric motor systems.

Campfire

Offline sako

• Tent User
Re: Electric Motors for boats, canoes and kayaks
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, 09:24:38 PM »
I'd love one on my hobie outback, however the price is up around 2k.
I would use the rudder mount version though so I could still use the mirage drive.

Offline Campfire

• Soft Floor Camper User
Re: Electric Motors for boats, canoes and kayaks
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 09:29:27 PM »
I'd love one on my hobie outback, however the price is up around 2k.
I would use the rudder mount version though so I could still use the mirage drive.

Hobie Outback is a well designed set up and very popular ( wouldn't mind one myself), the motors for Torqueedo's are expensives but you have to admit they are well designed and have a great range.