Author Topic: TP camper trailers .  (Read 7155 times)

Offline craigtempo

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • welcome to the party that never ends
TP camper trailers .
« on: July 24, 2011, 08:42:40 AM »
In my quest for options on building or purchasing a  new camper trailer i came across these guys .anyone have one of these or scene one in the flesh ? they seem like remarkable value for an Aussie made trailer . the tent i believe is an austrack [ chinnese ] BUT u can get a aussie made Bell tent .

http://www.tpcampertrailers.com.au/razorback.html

i have no affiliation with these guys

craig

Offline WaituiRob

• "Oldies still doing it.....Camping that is!
  • Soft Floor Camper User
Re: TP camper trailers .
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2011, 05:23:10 PM »
Hi Craig,

I don`t think that`s an Austrack tent on that camper as Austrack has a grey cover on their 12ft. with black tie downs, a foam king mattress and midge mesh screens.

Cheers, Robyn.

Offline Redback

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2011, 05:28:26 PM »
A couple of concerns,

45mm round axle (not heavy duty enough)

6 leaf shackle springs (not heavy duty enough) need to be eye to eye rebound type minimum if no shocks

No brakes (of any kind)

No kitchen

No water tank or tap.

There are few things that will need upgrading, to bring up to full offroad, at the moment it would be classed as light/semi offroad IMHO.

All fine if your not doing anything serious (ie) for the caravan park crowd!!!

Baz.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2011, 05:30:48 PM by Redback »
Cheers Baz.

2011 Discovery 4 TDV6
1990 Perentie FFR  
Lightweight Camper.
1973 Kawasaki H2a 750 
1979 BMW R80/7
1983 BMW R100RT ex Police
2006 BMW R1200GS
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fool

Offline singo-26

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Gone bush permanently!
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2011, 06:15:09 PM »
Looks reasonable for a budget package. I'd like to see one set up before committing to the purchase of one. Gic and marios are in the same market and closer to homer for you.
From what Redback has said. Shackle springs are eye to eye its slipper springs are what I would avoid (although my old Jayco has them) and in that section of the market they probably not rebound. In my opinion a 45mm round axle would be strong enough for your purpose, I would personally step up to a 45mm square. I dont have a kitchen in my camper and generally use a stove stand with a stove or BBQ, And my water is carried in jerry cans. Brakes are weight dependant and can be added later if you need them (again my camper has no brakes and is about 100kg from needing them, but will be added soon).
It all comes down to what you think you need whilst camping and what you think you can do without whilst still remaining comfortable. In my opinion the Kakadu from TP offers slightly better value for money as there is less that you would have to do later, But as you have said it's largely about budget with this one.
Steve

2001 HZJ105 and a custom rearfold softfloor.

Offline craigtempo

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2011, 09:05:15 PM »
thanks guys

hes offered me free brakes  :o :o

& free matching of my rims .

no kitchen is ok as i think they are overpriced and i can build my own .

water can be added later as well . ill t him up for a square axle but he is going to put photo,s of the kakado up shortly . or maybe just leave the suspension and upgrade it all later .

but still looking round and looking at various options

craig

Offline Redback

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2011, 08:43:07 AM »
I would have it upgraded for over 750kg, or you'll have to get it done later, which means re-engineering the trailer, which means more money AND the hassle of dealing with the RTA >:(

Baz.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 08:46:56 AM by Redback »
Cheers Baz.

2011 Discovery 4 TDV6
1990 Perentie FFR  
Lightweight Camper.
1973 Kawasaki H2a 750 
1979 BMW R80/7
2006 BMW R1200GS
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fool

Offline craigtempo

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2011, 07:22:56 PM »
I would have it upgraded for over 750kg, or you'll have to get it done later, which means re-engineering the trailer, which means more money AND the hassle of dealing with the RTA >:(

Baz.

yeah im getting a quote with bigger springs and axle .but to upgrade it to over 750kg all u need is brakes i thought .... though i could be wrong .

the trailers also come with a 5 year structure warranty

Craig
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 07:25:30 PM by craigtempo »

Offline nic.t

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2011, 08:31:55 PM »
hi, I just purchased a camptime trailer that looks very similar.

I had a budget of $6000, I plan to spend the remaining $2000 upgrading the trailer with better axles, power etc. I do realise that a lot of the components are not as good as what is available in Australian built ones but considering I can do all the work myself I think I have made the right decision.

could be worth a look for you

http://www.camptime.com.au/

http://brisbane.gumtree.com.au/c-Cars-Vehicles-Motorbikes-Parts-caravan-campervan-motor-home-camptime-off-road-camper-trailer-LM-Bwith-tent-full-options-W0QQAdIdZ299561665

Cheers,

NICK

Offline bobnrob

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2011, 08:58:40 PM »
hi, I just purchased a camptime trailer that looks very similar.

I had a budget of $6000, I plan to spend the remaining $2000 upgrading the trailer with better axles, power etc. I do realise that a lot of the components are not as good as what is available in Australian built ones but considering I can do all the work myself I think I have made the right decision.

could be worth a look for you

http://www.camptime.com.au/

http://brisbane.gumtree.com.au/c-Cars-Vehicles-Motorbikes-Parts-caravan-campervan-motor-home-camptime-off-road-camper-trailer-LM-Bwith-tent-full-options-W0QQAdIdZ299561665

Cheers,

NICK

Yours has a lot more than we got on ours Nick :)  And ours was $500 more  :'(
But we still love her :)
Bob and Robyn

Offline craigtempo

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2011, 08:03:31 AM »
wow those camptime look great .

i just got some photo,s of the TP kakado emailed to me .................... WOW .

what a great looking trailer .

craig

Offline Redback

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2011, 08:44:35 AM »
yeah im getting a quote with bigger springs and axle .but to upgrade it to over 750kg all u need is brakes i thought .... though i could be wrong .

the trailers also come with a 5 year structure warranty

Craig

Yes you will, but I think because you have brakes, it is assumed your going to carry more weight, hence the need for an inspection.

I could be wrong and always happy to be corrected.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2011, 08:47:17 AM by Redback »
Cheers Baz.

2011 Discovery 4 TDV6
1990 Perentie FFR  
Lightweight Camper.
1973 Kawasaki H2a 750 
1979 BMW R80/7
2006 BMW R1200GS

Offline craigtempo

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2011, 01:29:24 PM »
Yes you will, but I think because you have brakes, it is assumed your going to carry more weight, hence the need for an inspection.

I could be wrong and always happy to be corrected.

yeah i dont carry alot of weight but as i have a small family i want brakes more for safety . the customline i had, loaded wouldnt have gone over 750kg,s but i had brakes anyway . 8)

craig

Offline Redback

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2011, 02:20:41 PM »
yeah i dont carry alot of weight but as i have a small family i want brakes more for safety . the customline i had, loaded wouldnt have gone over 750kg,s but i had brakes anyway . 8)

craig

Yes, I wouldn't have a camper without them, last thing you need is the trailer puhing the car if you have to jump on the anchors.

Baz.
Cheers Baz.

2011 Discovery 4 TDV6
1990 Perentie FFR  
Lightweight Camper.
1973 Kawasaki H2a 750 
1979 BMW R80/7
2006 BMW R1200GS

Offline nic.t

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2011, 07:09:15 PM »
Yes, I wouldn't have a camper without them, last thing you need is the trailer puhing the car if you have to jump on the anchors.

Baz.

second that, we had a very basic 6x4 with no extras and I could feel that "pushing" our mitsubishi outlander.