Author Topic: Places you can't go with pop-top campers  (Read 4300 times)

Offline ryangus

• Tent User
Places you can't go with pop-top campers
« on: July 13, 2011, 04:55:00 PM »
We'll be doing the big lap in a dual-cab ute with a self-contained lockable, watertight, dustproof (hopefully) canopy.  This ute and canopy will have fridge, kitchen, tent/swags, storage, 100L water, porta-potty and hot water.

The initial plan is to tow a Jayco/Coromal/Godlstream off-road pop-top camper behind (or if SWMBO has her way, even and Expanda), to use as a base station.

I'm curious about doing more extreme legs of the journey with just the ute and canopy.  What tracks would you consider not feasible to both take a pop-top, or do a loop to pick up the trailer due to long backtracking?  From what I'm starting to gather, there's not that many long "big-ticket" treks that aren't possible with a pop-top, but perhaps I'm mistaken.

As an example, I've thought of leaving the trailer at Cairns to do the OTL, and probably coming back on the development road, or the barge (or vice-versa).  I'm not usually keen on backtracking, so was wondering about feasible loops.  For example, would it be feasible to leave the trailer at Halls Creek, and do the GRR, then come back to Halls Creek to pick up the trailer, then continue to Darwin?

One example that probably wouldn't be feasible would be the Canning Stock Route.  That would probably need to be saved for another trip in a few years time  ;)

I'd love to hear about other possible loops, that would allow this sort of travel.  Actually, a list of trips that should be on my agenda would be nice also.  I have a rough idea, but as they say, "you don't know what you don't know"!

Offline rodw

• Soft Floor Camper User
Re: Places you can't go with pop-top campers
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 05:18:34 PM »
I'm going to watch this thread too. It sounds like you have described my setup. You just have to delete the words Jayco, Goldstream and dustproof!  ;D ;D

I would suggest you buy a trayback ute and custom canopy/tray if you want any chance of having a dustproof canopy as there is no way to fully dustproof a canopy on  a styleside ute. The gaps in the tailgate are just too big.

My thinking is very similar to yours. For the price of a top of the range camper, you can have a pop top and not have very many limitations in destinations. Simpson Desert crossing and Old Tele Track are the main two I can think of. I have not looked into it, but I thought the Canning might be doable these days but it is not et on my radar.

To do the cape, I think I'd at least tow it to Weipa or somewhere close to there or take the main road all the way to the top and visit that area from a base up there.

Offline BigJules

• Administrator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Just Cruisin' - I wish...
    • I'm so much cooler online :D
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2011, 05:26:43 PM »
I reckon with the right pace and care, you could take them most places, clearance being your biggest issue. Possibly resale value would be the next issue though.
Julian
Land Cruiser V8 + Trackabout Safari SV Extenda
MySwag Gallery, Photobucket
Sydney Agent for www.trackabout.com.au
Mallee Gear - Tough as nails

Offline Symon

• Big sparks r us
  • Electrimagician
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • www.phased.com.au
    • Web Server in a Box Project
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2011, 05:36:56 PM »
Watch the Gall Boys DVDs for inspiration, I'm sure you can take it anywhere you dare.
Do not PM me for technical advice - start a thread.
HDJ79 Ute - 100 Series Sahara - 2002 Kimberley Kamper - No ATS yet - Survivor of 5 McGirr trips-Cape 09,11,12,14 & Gulf 13

Offline MONDO-100

• Tent User
  • Love it
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2011, 06:01:35 PM »
X2,  The Gall boys DVD with the 76 series cruiser and there KEDRON caravan was one of the best i have seen, it sort of shows you how much Vans and CT  will put up with ha ha

cheers Mondo
2014 D4D prado with all the fruit and 9ft full chassis camper.

Offline ryangus

• Tent User
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2011, 06:28:33 PM »
I would suggest you buy a trayback ute and custom canopy/tray if you want any chance of having a dustproof canopy as there is no way to fully dustproof a canopy on  a styleside ute. The gaps in the tailgate are just too big.

I allready have a trayback and a jackoff.com.au canopy, which I reckon should be pretty dustproof.  Just in the process of fitting it out with drop-down fridge and kitchen slides, plus the rest.

Offline rodw

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2011, 06:53:57 PM »
I allready have a trayback and a jackoff.com.au canopy, which I reckon should be pretty dustproof.  Just in the process of fitting it out with drop-down fridge and kitchen slides, plus the rest.

Sounds a great start. We graduated from an OzTent to the poptop so the truck is well set up. If I knew what I know now, I would have ditched the tub and gone with a tray similar to yours.

You might get some ideas from my 4WD buildup but there is  lot more detail  on my truck on www.newhilux.net. I put a bit of a summary up  on this thread:

http://myswag.org/forum/index.php?topic=14208.0

Our Coromal and what we have done to it is detailed here:

http://myswag.org/forum/index.php?topic=14850.0

Offline ryangus

• Tent User
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2011, 08:01:27 PM »
Thanks RodW.

I do love my drop-down fridge slide.  It's gonna hurt cutting another one in half to extend it for the kitchen unit!  :'(  Luckily I got them both second hand, and paid less than half the retail price.  It is necessary though, as the canopy is just too high for my wife and I to reach when on the back of the tray.

We had an Oztent RV5, but sold it and went to the newer JetTent, as it will fit down the middle of the canopy, and the 2 swags will sit on top.

I notice you have an expanda type van.  These look much more comfortable and quicker to set up than a poptop camper trailer, but I'm concerned about extra weight and wind drag.  Also, I imagine these are just that bit more vulnerable offroad.

BTW - what model van is that?

Decisions, decisions...
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 08:10:07 PM by ryangus »

Offline rodw

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2011, 08:42:54 PM »
Thanks RodW.

I do love my drop-down fridge slide.  It's gonna hurt cutting another one in half to extend it for the kitchen unit!  :'(  Luckily I got them both second hand, and paid less than half the retail price.  It is necessary though, as the canopy is just too high for my wife and I to reach when on the back of the tray.

We had an Oztent RV5, but sold it and went to the newer JetTent, as it will fit down the middle of the canopy, and the 2 swags will sit on top.

I notice you have an expanda type van.  These look much more comfortable and quicker to set up than a poptop camper trailer, but I'm concerned about extra weight and wind drag.  Also, I imagine these are just that bit more vulnerable offroad.

BTW - what model van is that?

Decisions, decisions...

My van is a Coromal Magnum 515 XC. I call it a Poptop s I thought Expandas go sideways. No higher than the spare tyre on the roof rack. Height I think is about 2.20 metres so wind drag is not an issue. Heaps of clearance on 32" tyres. Unladen 1450 kgs and laden 1750 kg's. 180 litres of water, 2 x 9kg gas bottles, external shower, hot water, Air con and awesome storage. Very light due to ally frame. Cost about $45k which is the same price as a KK or Australian Offroad Camper trailer.

Ask me in about 5-6 weeks how it goes off road as we are off on its first outback run later this month for 3 weeks. As far as the Jayco Swan/Dove type which I think you refer to as a pop top, I think it is no more vulnerable but you do have the awning sticking out on the passenger side. I think it is pretty well built. Most times I get an idea from this forum and I go and check things out, it seems Coromal beat me to it!