Author Topic: trailer length - ModCon Elysium HF  (Read 6459 times)

Offline tjwoody

• Learning the Ropes
trailer length - ModCon Elysium HF
« on: June 01, 2011, 06:23:00 PM »
Hi,
we were at the Maitland show on the weekend and saw the Modcon Elysium HF.......WOW......loved it, finally a family friendly hard floor camper! Until Hubby points out the length - 5.6mt, thus not suitable for trips such as Old Telegraph Track. He is usually right (yes, in writing!) but as Kedrons and bushtrackers can manage why not this?
If anyone has this camper, or one that is a similar length single axle, I would really appreciate your opinions....
Thankyou!

Offline HEM19X

• Hard Top Camper User
  • If I agree with you, then we would both be wrong!
Re: trailer length - ModCon Elysium HF
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2011, 07:44:05 PM »
tj,

It's actually quoted as 5.74m...why not suitable for the Tele Track?

So long as the drawbar does not foul too much, there is no reason not to take it up there...There should be no dramas with anything we did in the Safari. Besides, if the long length between the hitch & the wheels is a problem, turn the hitch over to get more clearance.

In fact we intend to go there again in our new Elysium. The biggest issue with the Tele Track was water & to me it seems like the Elysium seals are better that the Safari.

I wouldn't let hubby talk me out of something like an Elysium.

PM me if you want more info

Regards

Hem

2019 BT50 with custom canopy and lots of fruit. Towing a 2014 Lotus Freelander [welcome to the dark side]

Offline tjwoody

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2011, 08:19:03 PM »
Thanks Hem,
 I'll suggest turning the hitch, it is a lovely camper. In hubby's defence I believe he meant that the length would be a constant issue, not that it couldn't get there.
How has yours run so far, any issues worth mentioning?
Thanks again....

Offline darren

• Hard Top Camper User
  • "Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius"
    • CampingAustralia.org
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2011, 08:35:31 PM »
It dosnt look much different to my Krumberley and it did the tele track both ways including gunshot and the coach rd to Maytown.  As long as your aware of the length it will be ok
Living the Dream.

Offline Gunna Do

• "To Infinity and Beyond"
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2011, 08:48:36 PM »
I just measured our Camp-o-matic and it came in at 4.3m.  Another 1.3+m for the Elysium makes it fairly long.  Looking at the pic of the camper, it doesn't look like the departure angle will be so much of the problem, more the ramp over angle, with the camper wheels being a very long way back.

Maneuvering around some the tighter sections of track will not be impossible, but the driver will have to be very vigilant to prevent any damage to the camper.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2011, 08:50:33 PM by Gunna Do »

Offline tjwoody

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2011, 10:08:03 PM »
Thanks very much for the feedback folks, more material for the great debate...
Cheers!

Offline HEM19X

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2011, 01:36:49 AM »
Thanks Hem,
 I'll suggest turning the hitch, it is a lovely camper. In hubby's defence I believe he meant that the length would be a constant issue, not that it couldn't get there.
How has yours run so far, any issues worth mentioning?
Thanks again....

Early days so far, nothing but blacktop. However, as mentioned before, the KK seems about the same length but you may want to also check the Aussie Swags, AROC etc.  The Elysium seems narrower that the Safari - not by much.

Setting up in smaller places will be possible.

Regards

Hem
2019 BT50 with custom canopy and lots of fruit. Towing a 2014 Lotus Freelander [welcome to the dark side]

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2011, 07:04:20 AM »
It really dosent matter what lenght the CT really is it might not fit at first ,,,,,,, but it will,,,,, ;D
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline Redback

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2011, 10:47:41 AM »
Our camper is over 5mtrs, we did the Old Telegraph Track.

Baz.
Cheers Baz.

2011 Discovery 4 TDV6
1990 Perentie FFR  
Lightweight Camper.
1973 Kawasaki H2a 750 
1979 BMW R80/7
1983 BMW R100RT ex Police
2006 BMW R1200GS
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fool

Offline morgue

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2011, 04:59:54 PM »
Hi,
we were at the Maitland show on the weekend and saw the Modcon Elysium HF.......WOW......loved it, finally a family friendly hard floor camper! Until Hubby points out the length - 5.6mt, thus not suitable for trips such as Old Telegraph Track. He is usually right (yes, in writing!) but as Kedrons and bushtrackers can manage why not this?
If anyone has this camper, or one that is a similar length single axle, I would really appreciate your opinions....
Thankyou!

When set up, the Modcon is over 1mtr shorter for the tent section is over the front drawbar, so you can set the camper up in its own length, something the rear hardfloor campers can not do, the camper is well off the ground. The Modcon Imperial HF will carry more than the KK and the Tvan, by about 300kg and has a lighter tow ball weight when fully loaded by over 100Kg when compared to the KK when fully loaded.

I checked them out at the Lismore Show, the Elysium HF was out of my budget... but the Imperial HF ticked all the boxes for me, it was about $10k cheaper than the KK, $15k cheaper than the Tvan, so it the Modcon Imperial HF has been pushed to the top of my list of Hardfloors.

Offline skapinad

• Swag User
  • Learnin' the ropes
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2011, 05:07:52 PM »
Out of interest, given it starts at $52k, what do you think the actual materials cost would be for one of these.....? Forget labour hours..

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2011, 05:17:33 PM »
Quote from: skapinad
Out of interest, given it starts at $52k, what do you think the actual materials cost would be for one of these.....? Forget labour hours..
if people thought this way, nobody would buy any campertrailer or pretty much anything these days!
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline skapinad

• Swag User
  • Learnin' the ropes
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2011, 05:24:17 PM »
Ha ha maybe, but building a car etc. From scratch would be too hard !  It is just a tent on wheels, sorry but I don't see 50k plus of value ?

Offline Trish59au

• Swag User
  • He got the 24 year old I got the 4WD...fair swap!!
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2011, 08:42:55 PM »
When we buy our Modcon Quattro it will be our permanent home....good value for about $40000  :cup:

And to remember that if we don't like the neighbourhood we just pack up and move somewhere else  ;D ;D ;D

100 series Landcruiser.
Tenting it for a while...looking for a camper that I can manage by myself.

Offline HEM19X

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2011, 09:16:33 PM »
When set up, the Modcon is over 1mtr shorter for the tent section is over the front drawbar, so you can set the camper up in its own length, something the rear hardfloor campers can not do, the camper is well off the ground. The Modcon Imperial HF will carry more than the KK and the Tvan, by about 300kg and has a lighter tow ball weight when fully loaded by over 100Kg when compared to the KK when fully loaded.

I checked them out at the Lismore Show, the Elysium HF was out of my budget... but the Imperial HF ticked all the boxes for me, it was about $10k cheaper than the KK, $15k cheaper than the Tvan, so it the Modcon Imperial HF has been pushed to the top of my list of Hardfloors.

Yep, if you can park it, you can set it up, a big plus for smaller sites - excellent storage space although it needs to be up to fill it - then agan so do most of the others. However they are now getting costly...adding over $10k since we got ours in May, not sure about the need for the diesel heater/hws as $5k is a lot and some of the other changes may not suit most people.

Hem

Offline torsion

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2011, 11:25:54 PM »
Good topic and timely.
I made contact with Modcon last week about their presence at the September Penrith Panthers camping show (NSW) and having the Imperial HF their
The'yll be their with both versions, so I'll look closely at this. Tow ball weight looks heavier than 100kgs.....hmmm mods might be on th card.