Author Topic: Out back Travelers Alert  (Read 2798 times)

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
Out back Travelers Alert
« on: May 27, 2011, 08:15:05 PM »
With all the planing to do the big trip around Aus . Might be a good idea to include slipping RFDS  ( Royal Flying Doctor Service ) a few $ just in case .  The call for help that could be made on a Sat phone from God only knows where will be answered by what could be your only chance . Cheap insurance if it happens well spent , if it doesn't even better well spent $ .
We only pass through the area to gather the memories  we can , spare a thought for those that chose to live there .  We call the Ambos & they are with us very soon , out there it can be a lot longer .  What a job they do . :cheers:
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline Estelle

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • New members of the leisure club
Re: Out back Travelers Alert
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2011, 09:21:10 PM »
There are a lot of places out in the middle requesting donations to the RFDS. Wonder why!!

Our local GP joined the RFDS. Because that's what he wanted to do. Human beans. Never understand 'em.
Chris & John

05 DiD Platinum Pajero, Cub Spacevan Drover Off Road

Offline areyonga

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2011, 09:33:28 PM »
Love the outback, worked in the Centre for many years and wish I was there now, also worked in conjunction with the RFDS and they do a great job in difficult conditions, Hmmmmm it does bring back some memories.

Wil
Toyota Landcruiser 200, Olympic Marathon 22.6 van

Offline albyback1

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Never too busy to go camping
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2011, 02:39:37 AM »
I managed a community north of Alice off the Plenty Highway. On our station we had the only night approved strip for some 140,000sqkms... so people would be transported to our strip for night evacs from all of the neighbouring communities clinics and stations.

Many a nights sleep was lost trying to make out the blinking navigation lights of the Pilatus against the brightest of stars in the milky way!

I would have to line the strip with some 60 "dolphin" style lights, light up the wind sock with head lights so that the pilot could do his flyover before landing the plane. Just before they come in for their landing, Id do a run up and down the strip (in my vehicle of course) to ensure the area was free of stray cattle and roo's. The worst part was waiting the compolsory 30 minutes after the plane had departed before being able to collect all of my lights and return to bed... just in case the plane had to come back for an emergency landing of its own!

The adrenalin look care of the sleep deprivation!

Of course, night evacs were not the only time we used the RFDS. 240 people living in our community and associated out stations often required assistance from these amazing people. I averaged 3 evacs a month from pregnancies (anticipated departures) to the many emergencies (motor cycle crashes from the station, bull vrs car, general medical evacs such as heart attacks, strokes and anything else in between).

Its the lack of assistance offered to the community I was living/working in by Remote Health that actually forced me to leave this life style. We had a medical clinic which had been closed due to a small fire (medicine fridge caught alight), which saw me arranging a troopie each day being dispatched to the nearest clinic some 90kms away ( a bumpy rough 2 hour trip). This left me souly responsible for the emergency care of all of these people. Tough stuff, unpleasant stuff... On more than one occasion I cried from sheer relief as the plane took off with their precious cargo aboard and disappeared over the horizon - or at least until the dot in the distance was the same size as the flies pestering around me.

The guys who fly and assist with the RFDS as well as the staff that man the phones to assist those living in isolated environments are a god send. Their reassurance and advice given has on more than one occasion saved a life!

Give generously to these people you have no idea of how much important stuff they do - especially begind the scenes of the high profile stuff.

Below is one of the very few photos I had time to take of a Pilatus on our landing strip.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 02:58:38 AM by albyback1 »
Every where I go I bring pleasure. Sometimes it's when I arrive... but usually its when I leave!

Offline Sharky

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • AORC - Odyssey Export
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2011, 08:00:33 AM »
Snip...
The guys who fly and assist with the RFDS as well as the staff that man the phones to assist those living in isolated environments are a god send. Their reassurance and advice given has on more than one occasion saved a life!

...Snip

Well said! The RFDS team provide life saving aviation in its finest form. We donate regularly and think that they were worthy recipients of the donations from the recent Royal wedding. We may not think much of them in our normal lives, but when we really need them, we'll love them!
Sharky
LC105 & AORC - Odyssey Export

Offline SteveandViv

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Never get sick of being here
    • Our Travel Blog - Have a look....
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2011, 08:14:20 AM »
Mate you are also a legend for what you did. I see a lot of this also now as I service, from a telecommunications perspective a lot of the remote areas up and around the Kimberly so I know how hard you work, I've seen it and admire what you do..We also have a bit of fun trying to keep the communities connected. You sure learn how to improvise. ;D Amazing what you can make an ariel out of at a pinch.

Good on you. :cup: :cheers:
« Last Edit: May 28, 2011, 08:16:11 AM by SteveandViv »
http://steveandviv.blogspot.com.au/

Offline Brisan

• Swag User
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2011, 05:54:45 PM »
My dad used to volunteer  drive the ambulance when he had the roadhouse out at Yalata on the Eyre highway. RFDS would land on the highway, pick up and leave. My Nephew was on one of the TV shows with the RFDS when he broke his arm at a rodeo and I am currently renting a house that belongs to a RFDS pilot.
And I donate too. RFDS and Guide dogs are my two favourite.

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2011, 06:20:14 PM »
Well done for remembering the work they do , if only more could come onboard . Its in your interest  :cheers:
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline Crisp Image

• Old enough to know better. Young enough to do it again!
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2011, 09:18:02 PM »
My Brother in Law is a pilot for RFDS.(Also a member here but I cant remember his username) He was based in Derby but is now in Perth. The stories he can tell.
Love their work!
Angel Flights is another worthy cause to IMO.
Regards
Crisp Image

2008 Outback Sturt, 2010 Prado 150 D4D Tug