Author Topic: Kimberly karavans  (Read 5727 times)

Offline Anfos

• Sleeping Bag User
Kimberly karavans
« on: May 14, 2011, 08:51:10 PM »
Hi all,

Has anyone owned or experienced a Kimberly karavan?  We looked at one this week and were extremely impressed in all it had to offer.  The only two negatives we saw were the price and lack of room for kids inside.  The kid issue isnt a major thing atm cos we don't have any, but plan to in the future. The price on the other hand.......!
Cheers
Anfos

2010 Triton and Pioneer Argyle SE

Offline oldblade

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Porsche it's broken again
Re: Kimberly karavans
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, 08:57:22 PM »
We did look at them before putting in an order for the Topaz

Nice unit

things I didn't like

the way the roof collapse leaves no room for cupboards
the shower inside good but looks like everything would get wet
the price !!!!!!

but I do like

the tow height
having a toilet inside when it's raining outside

Offline AKB

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2011, 08:59:42 PM »
Hi

Our best mates have a Kimberley karavan, makes our jayco look like a poverty pack.  Love the width (not too wide) - the push button erection - hate the Velcro flyscreen door and two part door (it gets very tiresome) love the external water tap and gas hob I'm always very jealous when we have finally packed up camp and hitched the trailers and Graeme goes and has a wash using the outside tap.

But it is very much a two person only camper and not expandable for kids.  It's what I will be looking at once my boy has flown the coup.

Offline gunna

• Could End Up Anywhere
  • Hard Floor Camper User
  • Don't leave your run to late
    • A Few Pic's
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2011, 09:01:35 PM »
Hi Anfos
had a look at them at the Rosehill super show
well made by a good company
but way out of reach for me    to much money  
check these out a cheaper buy

http://pacificaluminiumtrailers.com.au/index.php

cheers sheeds

Offline Anfos

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2011, 09:32:50 PM »
I'd forgotten about the Topaz. How much are they worth?  Do they have cooking facility inside the van.  That's the one thing that is annoying us at the moment. That is, if it's raining, we have to cook in the rain with the slide out kitchen, or set up an awning in the rain to keep dry.  A fair bit of work and wet canvas for an overnight stay. >:(
We love our current camper, but wet canvas and wet cooking is wearing a bit thin. we seem to attract rain atm!  The Ultimates are another option for inside cooking and seem to be a great unit, but also has the canvas issue.
Maybe i just need to toughen up a bit too!  ;D ;D
Anfos

Offline Captain

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • My Cruiser & AORC Quantum
    • My online pics
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2011, 09:38:57 PM »
Hi Anfos,

We looked at the KK, but ended up going with the AORC Quantum. They all have there plus and minuses, just depends on what you are after. As we have 2 kids, we had the bunk bed and table bed option for them. We also prefer the outside cooking setup (you can get an inside burner option) and the rollout awning, much easier to put up than a bag awning. The inside toilet/shower is great, I haven't had one before and wasn't sure how well it would work, but wouldn't be without it now.

The Topaz, KK and Quantum are all good campers and it boils down to what features you are after.

Cheers

Captain
My GXL TTD 200 Landcruiser and AORC Quantum loaded with Kayaks and bikes (my Camprite now sold )

Offline Anfos

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2011, 09:46:32 PM »
Cheers Captain.  Another one we'd forgotten about.  Will be sure to check them out too. 
Anfos

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2011, 10:36:24 PM »
You really have to know what you need in a camperbefore you buy......if I had a 200series and a KK caravan....I certainly would,nt be complaining...but weight andaffordability always comes into it ...
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline Paul Mac

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Bolwell Edge
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2011, 08:52:22 AM »
Hi Anfos,

Something new to the market and IMO worthy of a look is the new Bolwell Edge camper. I will admit that I have one on order and due for delivery sometime soon.

Once received I will post pictures and write about its performance.

The company did however, lend me their prototype over Easter and I can say it met and exceeded my expectations. Whilst I didn't take it 'off-road' I did do a small amount of gravel road travelling and it handled fine.

The main thing I liked about it is that it has both an internal and an external kitchen complete with hot water service and sinks. The hot water system is a 14 litre system and was fantastic. Took about 10 minutes to warm up on arrival at camp and never missed a beat. It can be put on 60oC or 70oC settings and was very handy on those fresh mornings over Easter.

Set up takes all of about 5 minutes (including putting up the awning) and packup about the same time. The prototype didn't have the external shower fitted. The great thing is ...... no wet packups but there is still some canvas around the raised roof but its well protected from the elements by an eave on the roof section.

There is lots of things I could write but I'll save it until mine is delivered and given a shake down.

Fully optioned, pricing is on par with the Ultimate.

Check them out if you want.

http://www.bolwell-rv.com.au/the-edge/

Cheers

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2011, 09:52:31 AM »
Have a gander at CTA mag No 40 . In it you will  find thenew Rubicon off road van . Comes with the works standard . If I was in the market I would be in it like a rat up a drain pipe  Top Kit  :cheers:
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline BigJules

• Administrator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Just Cruisin' - I wish...
    • I'm so much cooler online :D
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2011, 10:10:14 AM »
Do they have cooking facility inside the van.  That's the one thing that is annoying us at the moment. That is, if it's raining, we have to cook in the rain with the slide out kitchen, or set up an awning in the rain to keep dry.  A fair bit of work and wet canvas for an overnight stay. >:(

Cooking inside, in such a small space, would be no more pleasant than maybe getting wet. You'd be sleeping with the remnants for days.
Julian
Land Cruiser V8 + Trackabout Safari SV Extenda
MySwag Gallery, Photobucket
Sydney Agent for www.trackabout.com.au
Mallee Gear - Tough as nails

Offline Draggin

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2011, 11:31:35 AM »
I carefully checked out the KK, the Topaz and a number of other campers (mini-caravans) before settling on the Ultimate. For me an internal shower and toilet didn't seem necessary as I tend to camp alone and miles from anything and anyone. When I have stayed in parks or camp grounds - they have facilities so that seemed unnecesarily extravagant for my needs.

The major things for me are - (1) offroad ability, (2) WEIGHT and size, because it effects where you can go and (3) build quality.

I too, thought that cooking indoors would leave the smell hanging around for days, it just isn't an issue. I love my bacon and eggs and I love a decent steak cooked HOT - so a bit of smoke and bacon fat splatter does occur when I cook. The smells dissipate quickly and let's face it, we all ventilate our campers when we have them set up. Windows open for the views and/or the air - even in these conditions

As stated previosly, the KK'van is great for 2 people - extra bodies, even little ones, will just become tedious after the first night or two.
"Beneath the radiant Southern Cross"

Offline Blue Bravo

• adventure before dementia
  • Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2011, 12:33:35 PM »
Things seem great when you are contemplating your needs but the reality is always different. In our old cub we went with an internal kitchen and dinette set up. Cooked in it a couple of times and decided that the cooking smells stayed in the canvass and so we ended up carrying a 2 burner stove and cooking outside unless it was really uncomfortable to do so. Contemplated a hot water system and outdoor shower on the new van until the salesman advised against it pointing out  that unless you have it fully plumbed to take away the runoff you end up with a bog beside the camper. A shower tent well away from the camper is the cheaper and more practical way to go.
Glenn

A member of the leisure class

Offline Anfos

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2011, 03:36:56 PM »
Thanks for all the advice. Plenty of valid arguments for and against. Also plenty of options (or confusion) for me looking forward. Thanks everyone. ?

Sent from Anfos's iPhone using Tapatalk
Anfos

Offline oldblade

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Porsche it's broken again
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2011, 04:37:25 PM »
Topaz has kitchen inside and a big kitchen area to cook and an exhaust fan
has a BBQ outside but you can option it to have a full kitchen

so many to choose from all good options it comes down to personal preference

RRP for the Topaz is 69k ish but i didn't pay that

Offline Captain

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • My Cruiser & AORC Quantum
    • My online pics
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2011, 10:07:16 PM »
While the Quantum only comes (standard) with an outside kitchen, it has the rollout awning which is so quick to use that on treeless roadside stops it comes out. But the bit that SWMBO likes the best is that the toilet can be used without popping the roof, makes a welcome relief from the typical roadhouse or trackside stop.

The real winner between the KK/Topaz/Quantum/etc.. is the buyer! All are quality campers but have enough subtle differences between their designs that in the end you really are choosing the design features that suit you. Rather than work out which van is better, make a list of what features are non-negotiable and you will quickly find what suits you. I had only 4 "mandatory" features and that only left the Quantum (1. Outside Kitchen, 2. Rollout awning 3. kids beds inside 4. Toilet that could be used without setting up).

The only problem with all these campers is the price, you won't get any change from around $70K for the cheapest (after on-roads and options) and if you tick things like a/c, diesel heater, additional annexe, 4 bike carrier etc... you won't get any change from $80k and thats after a ~12 month wait!

Cheers

Captain
My GXL TTD 200 Landcruiser and AORC Quantum loaded with Kayaks and bikes (my Camprite now sold )

Offline rossbarb

• Tent User
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2011, 08:08:32 PM »
HI,
We have a Topaz and the big selling point for us was the internal kitchen and the bed staying made up and no canvas, I have red hair and am very fair so I react severely to insect bites sp being able to cook inside when the weather and the bities are around and the main points for us. These points may not not be a deal clincher to everyone but they were to us, instead of having the outside barbie we ahve a slide out 3 burner gas stove so we can cook outside when we want too, and i love the bench space so we weren't worried about having the shower outside, we prefer to have the space inside. just work out what you need we are all diferent and at different stages of our lives and as we change our needs change.
Happy camping
Barb