Author Topic: Big 4 Parks  (Read 8382 times)

Offline listo

• Soft Floor Camper User
Big 4 Parks
« on: May 14, 2011, 07:34:35 PM »
Hi all,
Picked up our camper yesterday, we didn't take cooking goods, only bedding, planning to stay in the camper for the maiden voyage and just get a counter meal for dinner. We stopped at the Big 4 in Rocky for a break before coming home this morning. At $52 an night for Jahna, myself and 1 and 3 y/o daughters for an unpowered site, i was blown away. The facilities were nice, there's no doubt, but for kids the age of ours, the only attraction was warm showers and mowed grass. As for older kids, it was a pool and a video games room. We aren't made of money, so we can't work out how they justify these prices when for $20 extra we could have had a self contained cabin with cooking gear and footy on tv
I admit, it was good to camp with the kids, but for that price, there aren't too many Big 4 parks you'll see me at
Listo

Offline gronk

• KKK... Kwik Kool Kamping
  • Hard Top Camper User
Re: Big 4 Parks
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, 07:43:39 PM »
Now you know what the attraction is to bush camping......

But that price is crap.....$24 to $30 a night  is all you should pay for a powered site !!
2009 200 series Yota
2019 Lifestyle Ultra

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2011, 07:45:57 PM »
But that price is crap.....$24 to $30 a night  is all you should pay for a powered site !!

Based on?

Big4 address a market segment, if you don't like it don't stay there.
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline Gunna Do

• "To Infinity and Beyond"
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2011, 07:54:37 PM »
Big 4 parks have some great facilities normally, however are normally the most expensive parks.

We went to book into one at Bright, and were quoted over $120.00 for a grassy site.  And you recon you couldn't justify $20.00.  Needless to say we drove out of that park and drove another 30ks up the road and got a site for $30.00 with room to spare.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 08:31:23 PM by Gunna Do »

Offline LC

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2011, 08:02:34 PM »
While I agree they are expensive - most of them are at a pretty good standard, with cathderal beach on Fraser being the worst one I have seen. We will however stay in them every now and then because they usually have hot showers, clean toilets etc etc and our son enjoys playing on the jumping pillows with dad (although I would draw the line well before the $120 mark).
MY 2016 200 series Sahara
2016 Lifestyle Reconn

Offline Joff

• "This is my Custom User Title"
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2011, 08:21:33 PM »
We didn't find the Big 4 parks magnitudes dearer than other parks of similar standard but you are right, it is hard to justify for a short stay or if you can't get the value out of the facilities.

D4D stated it pretty succinctly when he said “Big4 address a market segment, if you don't like it don't stay there”. Big 4 tailors their parks to families that are using it ‘AS’ the destination as opposed to the people who just want a camp for the night and as such the parks are all about the park experience.

When we did the big trip we never stayed in these sort of parks (again, I don’t think it’s confined to Big 4) if we were just in and then out next morning. There is absolutely no value in that. We did however stay in a few around the country if we were in for a number of days or a week. We have much older kids than you so we as a family were able to use all of the facilities and get the value out of them. The best example would be Mac Ranges Big 4 in Alice.. That’s a great place to spend a few days between desert adventures. We have done that twice now (2007 and 2010) and no doubt will do it again.. Sunday pancakes is cool  

They make a great contrast to a few weeks in the bush or covering the big distances day after day so in my opinion they have a value, you just need to decide if they have a value to you. Which clearly they don’t  
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 08:23:30 PM by Joff »
HDJ-105 full dresser plus modded Allterrain and NO BLING

Offline Gunna Do

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2011, 08:28:54 PM »
We stayed in the Big 4 Cairns Coconut Holiday Resort  for a few nights on our way back from up the Cape.  It was a good place to get cleaned up, and had plenty of stuff for the kids to do (2 x jumping pillows, numerous pools and water activities).

Money well spent in that situation. 

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2011, 08:34:10 PM »
most of them are at a pretty good standard, with cathderal beach on Fraser being the worst one I have seen..
i agree with this statement, visited friends staying there at Easter time and thought the place was very run down. apparently it just sold at Easter time to new owners, so will be interesting to see if they clean the place up and make it more like most other Big 4 parks around the country.
The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t

Offline dno

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Welcome to gods country
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2011, 08:35:12 PM »
The good lady works at a Big 4 and I'd have to say this park caters well for there guests, at different times there had camp kitchen cook ups where they do pancakes for all guests, Easter egg hunt at Easter time , zoomba dancing, water aerobics , kids club and more. They have the police visit during peak holiday periods and have great facilities. Don't know what there sites are worth.. but the way they pay the good lady, they can't be cheap.. Regular guests have received wine and chocolate's at different times and i guess it all costs money..      
"The first half of our lives are ruined by our parents  and the second half by our children."

Clarence Day

http://www.youtube.com/user/67dno/videos

Offline Joff

• "This is my Custom User Title"
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2011, 08:37:08 PM »
We stayed in the Big 4 Cairns Coconut Holiday Resort  for a few nights on our way back from up the Cape.  It was a good place to get cleaned up, and had plenty of stuff for the kids to do (2 x jumping pillows, numerous pools and water activities).

Money well spent in that situation. 

Actually, that Cairns Coconut was the dearest park we found anywhere in the country  ;D We stayed there for 4 days and it pissed down the whole time. I made my then 13 yo daughter take 2 hour hot hot hot showers just to feel as though we were getting some value  :angel: :cup: She didn't complain  :D Not since I made her brother and her swim in the pools and jump on the bubbles even when it was cold and raining  :cup:
HDJ-105 full dresser plus modded Allterrain and NO BLING

Offline listo

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2011, 08:54:03 PM »
You hit the nail on the head there D4D, i didn't like it so i won't stay there. Better off down a creek somewhere for free, the only difference is no hot water.
I'm not saying i'll never stay at one ever, but for what rocky offered, i'd rather drive the extra 3 hours and get the kids home. We looked forward to the Big 4 name, simply for the jumping pillow as this would have entertained our two for hours, but this was not there.
I'll have no hesitation going to the Big 4 in Airlie Bch, it looks awesome, and in a fortnight i'll stay at Cania Big 4.
The point i'm getting at is, with stuff all to do, i may as well get a cabin for $20 extra or camp down the creek for free (which i'll do when better set up). Money's hard enough to get now without giving it away for nothing
Listo

Offline LC

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2011, 09:19:03 PM »
I'll have no hesitation going to the Big 4 in Airlie Bch

Listo

Make sure you stay at the newer one on the northern side of airlie beach, the older one which is closer to town is a bit run down and in need of some TLC, although the people that work there are just wonderful.

Sunday pancakes is cool  

We too liked the one in Alice and the free pancakes on Sunday were a hit.

We are also big fans of camping beside a river with a campfire, but when on extended trips its always good to reward the wife for good behaviour with a few of lifes little luxuries.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 09:22:46 PM by Lcandlc »
MY 2016 200 series Sahara
2016 Lifestyle Reconn

Offline SteveandViv

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Never get sick of being here
    • Our Travel Blog - Have a look....
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2011, 11:30:06 PM »
We also stayed at a few Big 4's as a reward for the kids and it was also a chance to wash sheets and all that. While it was expensive compared to other places jt was a good break if like Joff said you were setting up for a week or 4 to 5 days
http://steveandviv.blogspot.com.au/

Offline Sharky

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • AORC - Odyssey Export
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2011, 07:32:23 AM »
We've stayed at the odd Big 4 but tend to use them as an intermediate type of accomodation - and it has a specific purpose. Like others we use it for a re-charge, re-new type of stop, getting the washing sorted etc, and spending a couple of days exploring the area. Mostly we prefer quieter and more isolated spots but you can't always get these.

There are often cheaper and more basic parks but we've been bitten by some pretty poor ones in teh past and perfer to pay a bit extra for known services.

So the Big4 fits in between bush style camping and staying in a cabin or motel. Many of the Big 4s offer better entertainment than a more expensive motel!

So they have their place and their market and we use it accordingly.
 :cheers:
Sharky
LC105 & AORC - Odyssey Export

Offline Yoda42

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Beagle kisses don't grow hair
    • Travels With Beagles Blog
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2011, 09:20:10 AM »
Id be happy to stay there - if they were dog friendly.

But for people that do want to stay at a cp that doesn't have dogs, they'd be the pick I guess. You know what you're getting at least.
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo, 2 beagles & an Lifestyle Reconn
http://travelswithbeagles.blogspot.com

Offline Bushman

• Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "Apprentice Grey Nomad"
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2011, 09:24:53 AM »
For $52 a night you should have been able to get an ensuite sight (private bathroom) if they had them, though some have minimum 2 nights on ensuites.
but $52 for an unpowered site is just plain rude. you should  not have been charged for kids that young.

Typically anywhere along the coastal areas the parks are a bit of a rip off regardless of facilities, especially in peak times, go slighty inland and see the prices difference. and some with just as good facilities.

Example October (NSW School Holidays) Tuncurry  powered site no slab $54 a night for 3 (2 adults 1 kids)
Same period went home via Cessnock (there's only 1 park) Big4 Ensuite $32 a night.       ( "    "      "    "  )
09 Pajero NT  RX Limited  (SOLD)
2010 Jayco Expanda Outback  (SOLD)
2019 Trailblazer LTZ (SOLD)
2014 Golden Eagle Escape (SOLD)
2021 Pajero Sport GLX
2020 Vacationer Roadtracker.

R.I.P "MILO"  The Border Collie 2008-2018
Forever in our hearts 🐾🐾

Offline Rumpig

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2011, 10:00:22 AM »
and in a fortnight i'll stay at Cania Big 4.

we stayed there about 5 years ago and it was a nice place, will be getting pretty cold out that by now aswell as we found out on our visit ....lol
have a wander right down the back of the park when your there, i did so and found a flock of red tailed black cockatoos feeding on the lawn. also found them down at the dam down the road also, ones at van park were easier to try and get pics of, the ones at the dam would fly off before you got anywhere near them.
they do a bird feeding show in the afternoons which is great for the young kids, and plenty of adults enjoyed it aswell, they also used to do a free morning tea a couple of days a week aswell.
cheers

The smell of bacon proves aromatherapy isn't total bull$/!t

Offline briann532

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2011, 05:09:07 PM »
We do stay at Big 4's occasionally as we have a family and like the cleanliness and facilities. (jumping pillows, pools, parks, etc)

They are expensive, but so are most these days.
Obviously there are exceptions, but most offer good facilities for the money.
The obvious problem is if you don't want the facilities you still pay for them.............

We do use them so don't mind paying. Horses for courses I guess.
On the subject of exceptions - Coober Pedy big 4. I can save you some time. I'll email you a photo of my posterior  ;D
Saves you the trip that way.

Then of course the flip side. Big 4 Alice Springs. Best park I've ever stayed in. Great service, great facilities, clean as, and friendly staff.

I reckon if you don't need the facilites, go somewhere cheaper or go bush. But for a great famliy park with good facilities, try a Big 4

Cheers'
Brian
Back to a swag!
BitsiShity Tryton
Spending most of my time at the farm in Dalton!

Offline Sharshebelle1

• Tent User
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2011, 09:14:29 PM »
Actually, that Cairns Coconut was the dearest park we found anywhere in the country  ;D We stayed there for 4 days and it pissed down the whole time. I made my then 13 yo daughter take 2 hour hot hot hot showers just to feel as though we were getting some value  :angel: :cup: She didn't complain  :D Not since I made her brother and her swim in the pools and jump on the bubbles even when it was cold and raining  :cup:
Fantastic attitude to water use,  you showed them ???
09 Pathfinder
2010 Jayco Eagle Outback.

Offline hotfuzz

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2011, 10:24:26 PM »
We wouldnt stay in one for an overnighter but for an extended stay with 3 young kids we are happy to pay the extra coin for the facilities and the entertainment to keep the kids occupied they definately have there place

Offline georgel

• Swag User
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2011, 10:47:02 PM »
My wife & I stay away from parks that aren't dog friendly (even if we're traveling ourselves).  Would prefer to support the guys that welcome our 4 legged mates :)

So no Big4 for us.

Offline craigtempo

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • welcome to the party that never ends
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2011, 10:58:34 PM »
jeez for 120 bucks a night ide be leaving with a weeks supply of toilet paper a coke bottle full of soap ,a stack of brochures for starting the camp fire and asking one of the ladies to behing the counter to give me and the missus a masage . ;D

outrages .

craig

Offline hotfuzz

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2011, 11:04:00 PM »
I dont know where your going to be charged $120 a night we are staying at a big4 on the NSW mid coast on the beach  at a powered sight for $44 a night in the school holidays

Offline Laith

• Campers are like girlfriends... I like to check out everyone else's
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2011, 11:23:09 PM »
Harrington big4 is over $100 per night in holiday season for a powered grass site and it is a minimum of 2 or 3 days.

Out of holiday time you would get the same spot for $35

Offline Gunna Do

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2011, 07:06:17 AM »
I dont know where your going to be charged $120 a night we are staying at a big4 on the NSW mid coast on the beach  at a powered sight for $44 a night in the school holidays

Bright in peak holiday season.  When quoted the price I asked if that was for two sites, and was politely told it was for one only.