Author Topic: Flying to the USA  (Read 6681 times)

Offline terravista

• Soft Floor Camper User
Flying to the USA
« on: May 04, 2011, 05:58:35 PM »
Hi all
My daughter wants to make a return flight to the USA around December/January for 2 weeks (assuming the place hasn't been devastated via radical payback for OBL's demise), to visit zoos and wildlife sites in Florida and San Diego.
The return flight to San Diego is hundreds of dollars cheaper than Florida, but being a poor destitute new teacher, she has asked me to post this request for information in the hope of utilising Myswags members' vast experience.
Does anyone know if there a cheaper method of going to the USA and back by going to other countries first, and breaking the trip into 4 or more legs instead of 2?
She has looked going via Singapore but that's dearer.
Any experienced travellers out there that can help?
Cheers
Ian

Offline Bill

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Flying to the USA
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2011, 06:04:08 PM »
The more flexible she is with dates and the more connecting flights and layovers in the US the cheaper it will be.
Mind you December and January are by far the most expensive and frustrating times to fly...
Bill and Morag
"The problem with the world is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?"
-unknown

Offline cancan

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • "So long and thanks for all the fish"
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2011, 06:55:25 PM »
We were going to salt lake City for Christmas but it seems eveyone is going to the states for December hence flights are expensive. We will go January now and waiting for specials.
Singapore is on the opposite direction, need to look at NZ or Fiji etc for cheaper stop over flights but stop overs cost is more on lost wages so will go to LA direct.
Jeep Grand Cherokee - Modcon Ecomate Traveller

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2011, 07:14:31 PM »
My passport that expired last year had 24 entry to the US stamps so yup I've been there a few times :) Dec and Jan are expensive months and given the AUD everybody will be going to Disneyland for Christmas holidays. Since QF stopped the San Fran flight for Dallas, prices to the west coast are stupid. I got a quote the other day for my trip in July and it was twice as much as last year.

If you're not tied to a carrier then the best prices will be on webjet or expedia. Personally I wouldn't want to do more stopovers than I had to as it is a long flight already. A guy at work flys to the US with Asiana airlines via Osaka I think it is and that is pretty cheap. Not much help but she will be travelling with 1,000,000 other people at that time.
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline spargo

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • "Love that car.."
    • Twitter
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 10:59:13 PM »
Another similar option is the China Airlines (they're Taiwanese, not Chinese) flights via Taipei, Taiwan to San Fran, Vancouver, or LA. The connections are pretty Shitty with short stops in Taipei, but the coin saved might help out. Did it once on a trip to Canada and US for skiing.

Offline SteveandViv

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Never get sick of being here
    • Our Travel Blog - Have a look....
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2011, 11:41:32 PM »
Like D4D & others I've been there a few times to the stage where I have a green card as I  was there ever third week (to Arizona - PHX) over 18 years. I like my gold life time status cause it makes me feel special  ;D - not really cause I hardly fly now - bummer

Anyway. Once you are there you can get some really good deals at the airport if you have the time to wait. There's no pint going to Asia on the way cause it's not, NZ is about your only option that makes sense to me. I suppose if it's really cheap that you can go all over the world then that may be fun.
http://steveandviv.blogspot.com.au/

Offline rockygu4.8

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2011, 06:57:20 AM »
Haven't purchased a round the world ticket for a few years but always worked for me especially if you wanted to see a few places there and back.

4.8 litre Gu Patrol
2006 Goldstream Storm
2010 Armadilo Arma X

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2011, 07:27:54 AM »
Don't forget when looking on the web for prices to select "return" flights, as many specials only appear with return flights. Flew last month to the US with V Australia for $1220 each way premium economy booking a return, tried to do a one way ticket and the same flight over was $2100 something.
Here for a good time, not a long time!

Jim

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2011, 08:03:11 AM »
Yeah I fly QF and for laughs got a quote on V Aus, it was 2/3 the QF price :(

Oh and Steve, green card and liftetime gold, I hate you :)

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2011, 08:28:29 AM »
Yeah i fly Qantas almost exclusively overseas but after reading a v Australia review that basically said the only reason you would fly Qantas over V would be to chase points I thought I'd  give it a go. I could offer a few other areas Qantas are better but overal I would fly V again. I am no longer chasing points as I have a heap and can never ever seem to use them when I fly for upgrades. So no longer bother.

Apologies for OT

What I noticed last time in the US that the price of internal flights have gone through the roof, there was very few discount fares.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 08:30:00 AM by achjimmy »

Jim

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2011, 08:52:46 AM »
Thanks Jim, some of the guys at work started flying V Aus and said it was a good experience. I am tempted to give them a go.

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline Matto

• Don't Follow Me - I Won't Make It
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2011, 09:17:31 AM »
Hi Ian,

Sounds like you've already got a lot of advise from people who have done the trip much more often than we have, but our two cents: we flew out of Cairns to Japan on a Jetstar flight (Qantas surrendered the route to Jetstar a couple of years back), had a couple of days there, and then onto the US. We flew into Detroit, passed customs/immigration there, then hopped from there onto NY (landing at LaGuardia 3 days after the US Airways plane ditched into the Hudson from there). I can't remember who we flew from Japan to the US, it was one of the minor US carriers who don't have an amazingly great rep, but we found them perfectly fine. Coming back was the same, only leaving from San Fran and with just with a 4hr stopover at Narita. At the time, that was the cheapest way we could go, plus it got us a visit to Japan (which was awesome).

It was a long flight though, even leaving from Cairns, it was 8hrs (from memory) to Japan, and then the full haul over to the US (15hrs? 19hrs?). Going over wasn't too bad, but coming home a direct flight would be much nicer - by that stage you just want to be home.

If doing connecting flights, it's worth paying more to get on flights that have agreements with each other for checked baggage. Because we were skint and flying Jetstar, we almost lost our baggage on the way back because Jetstar doesn't pay to have any baggage shuffling arrangements with any other airlines. Meant that when we got to Japan we were *supposed* to hop off the plane, collect our luggage, go through customs, cart luggage to Jetstar desk, check back in, check in luggage again, then go back through passport control and go airside. We asked half a dozen people who advised us differently, so we just stayed airside and went straight to the Jetstar dept gate. Thought we better ask one more time though, and the Jetstar staff confirmed that the above process was what we were meant to do. That said, they were really good and arranged our luggage to be shuffled across for us outside the normal rules, which was much appreciated. But if we hadn't checked that 6th time, we would have been stuffed. It was something that I would have happily paid extra to avoid, especially since we were so exhausted by that stage.

A couple of months after we locked it all in, V Aus launched and my cousin got direct BNE->LAX flights for the following year for half what we paid :(. We had thought about holding off and seeing what V Aus would do to the prices, but chickened out and booked in early.

Anyway, that was our experience. Only other thing I'd add is to allow heaps of time at your first port of entry into the states to clear customs and immigration, etc. I think we had 4-5hrs, and that was probably around right. Keep in mind we didn't know what we were doing.

Completely OT, I'm interested to hear what D4D does and Steve did that take you both over there so often? Sounds very exciting to us desk-bound land-lubbers, but I guess, like anything, the shine would wear off after a while and it would just end up being a jolly long commute in a crowded aluminium tube. I'm still going to refer to them both from now on as the official Myswag International Men Of Mystery.

Thanks!
Matto :)
"I have a bunch of junk that is not any better than yours." - MoGas - ExPo member #226.

Offline terravista

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2011, 06:33:29 PM »
Many thanks for the thoughtful and helpful responses, they are much appreciated.
We have a fair bit of homework to do checking up the various options.
I asked a holiday based question over a year ago on a "expolorer" website about a trip to Japan, and although many of the responses were helpful, there was a few from people offering statements like "You should tour Australia first" and Why don't you stay here and put money into Australian business".
With more than a decade of family touring in all the Aussie States, I couldn't feel guilty about a family member visiting overseas. I know the people meant well, but offering those sorts of ignorant comments is certainly not a helpful way of answering queries.
Once again, thank you all.
Cheers
Ian

Offline 2 Brutal

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2011, 08:12:26 PM »
Only been to the USA once, and my old boss paid for it so not sure on the cost, but he goes 3 or 4 times a year.
It was a long long haul, 30 something hours from Bris by the time I had a bed.
Bris to NZ.
NZ to LA non stop, no where to land in the middle of the Pacific. ;D
LA to Denver
Denver to Souix Falls
Then 2 hours drive I think it was to Rock Valley.

but they had something about overseas travel not long ago on TV, well worth looking at, it was showing a comparo between booking the same holidays/ flights etc from here, compared to booking the same thing from say the USA, in some cases it was thousands cheaper booking it from the other end so if you know anybody in USA get them to get some prices for you.
Custom made stone guards and boat loaders for Jayco Outbacks and more.

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2011, 09:18:03 PM »
Only been to the USA once, and my old boss paid for it so not sure on the cost, but he goes 3 or 4 times a year.
It was a long long haul, 30 something hours from Bris by the time I had a bed.
Bris to NZ.
NZ to LA non stop, no where to land in the middle of the Pacific. ;D
LA to Denver
Denver to Souix Falls
Then 2 hours drive I think it was to Rock Valley.

but they had something about overseas travel not long ago on TV, well worth looking at, it was showing a comparo between booking the same holidays/ flights etc from here, compared to booking the same thing from say the USA, in some cases it was thousands cheaper booking it from the other end so if you know anybody in USA get them to get some prices for you.

Yep I find connections are what kill you. Direct flights so much better. I used to try and get the Qantas flight back from New York because you only stopped at LA. But they only flew certain days, and now don't fly there at all but code share.

Our Kiwi guys give Air NZ a wrap and they pretty much fly every where without code sharing.

Jim

Offline achjimmy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2011, 09:21:14 PM »
Just keep in mind if traveling to the US you need to do a electronic visa waiver now and must have your address in the US with you.

And don't bother with luggage! with the fantastic exchange rate I would just turn up with the cloths on my back and buy everything over there ;D

Jim

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2011, 09:40:14 PM »
And don't bother with luggage! with the fantastic exchange rate I would just turn up with the cloths on my back and buy everything over there ;D

Yup, I take 3 days of clothes and 2 suitcases and buy everything over there.

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline Chris-Vi

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Prado and Sportscruiser 1550
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2011, 08:32:01 AM »
We went Air NZ last October via Auckland. Was the cheapest deal we could find. Also find it is cheaper to fly LA to Orlando than Tampa.
We too went with an empty suitcase and shopped. Don't know about other airlines but with Air NZ now, in economy your are only allowed 1 check in bag each which was a shock unless we upgraded to Premium Economy.
Also look at flights through the week as these are often cheaper than weekend flights. Have a great trip.  :cheers:
2008 Prado GX
2013 Sportscruiser 1550

Offline Matto

• Don't Follow Me - I Won't Make It
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2011, 09:33:20 AM »
Yup, I take 3 days of clothes and 2 suitcases and buy everything over there.
We even bought the suitcase over there!  ;D  :cheers: When you leave from Cairns in summer and arrive in NY in winter, you've kinda got to suddenly buy a lot of big, bulky warm stuff that you've never needed before!!!

Don't know about other airlines but with Air NZ now, in economy your are only allowed 1 check in bag each which was a shock unless we upgraded to Premium Economy.
On this, when we were there a little gotcha was that you were allowed to take 2 bags each on the international flights, but only 1 bag on any internal domestic flights. Could have really caught us out. Luckily we went over with one suitcase each, then on our last leg as mentioned bought the second suitcase and did all our "serious shopping" then, leaving just the international flights home. If you've got a few internal flights, might be something to keep in mind. I've no idea what excess baggage fees are like.

As an aside, is anyone else freaked out a bit by how the internal domestic flights work? Specifically wrt checking in, getting your ticket, going to the gate, but still not having an actual confirmed seat on the plane until they call your name at the gate? We never had a problem (almost did once, when they told us to sit down till our name was called, then never called it. We didn't want to ask because we'd been told to sit, but eventually did and they hadn't got a seat for us. Were able to find one though, and it all worked out), and it was good for the airlines having each flight so overbooked because the planes were always full, but as a customer it always made me very nervous. Maybe it was just me - no one else seemed to have a problem, and people were lining up to be bumped back to later flights (they got free flight vouchers for their inconvenience).

Thanks!
Matto :)
"I have a bunch of junk that is not any better than yours." - MoGas - ExPo member #226.

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2011, 09:50:08 AM »
As an aside, is anyone else freaked out a bit by how the internal domestic flights work? Specifically wrt checking in, getting your ticket, going to the gate, but still not having an actual confirmed seat on the plane until they call your name at the gate?

I have never experienced this.

I will tell a funny story though. I had a few years of domestic travel under my belt before I first went overseas. I was sitting in the LA United Club lounge waiting for them to call my connection. I got a bit nervous as it was the time the flight was due to leave and they hadn't called for boarding. I wandered out to the gate and saw my plane pushing back. I had an interesting discussion with the United rep at the gate and it was then I was told 'we don't call the domestic flights in the lounge'. It was 10am and I thought no probs I'll get the next flight. Well trying to deal with the airline and the fact it was the end of spring break, I didn't get out until the last flight at 11:30pm that night. Moral of the story is I am always first in line for the plane now  ;D

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline Captain

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • My Cruiser & AORC Quantum
    • My online pics
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2011, 01:00:19 PM »
I have travelled to the USA too many times now and have recently returned after a 6 month stay in Tampa, Florida. While I wasn't too concenred with cost (work pays!) I was far more concerned about connection times etc... I have always travelled over via Qantas but have used many of the USA domestic airlines. But given the trip you have described I would be booking in advance as you virtually always get the best price that way. I have had work colleagues travel with me on the same flight/class yet having booked 2 weeks apart there can be a 50-100% cost difference, go figure.

Main points would to be;

a) avoid Los Angeles airport like the plague, try and go thru the new Qantas flight to Dallas , save a lot of flight time, esp to Florida.

b) book your flights thru the one carrier ie. Qantas. That way you get international travel baggage allowance when flying domestically (2 bags for economy or 3 if a Gold flyer). Qantas use American Airlines as their USA domestic carrier and they are on par with the rest.

c) Pay for extra baggage before the airport online, usually works out cheaper (depends on carrier). Some domestic carriers charge for every checked bag - no free allowance.

d) USA domestic travel is very much like a bus service with big queues. Allow 2 hours from arrival at a domestic airport to flight time, security can be unbelieveable and I have had to queue for over an hour just to get into the terminal, never mind check in and find the gate.

e)Board as soon as possible, there is never enough room for carry on in the overhead lockers as the size of USA carry-on is rediculous.

d) Avoid domestic flights on Monday morning and Friday evening, everyone is trying to go/arrive from home to work

e) mid-week flights are often cheaper, but better is that usually have a few spare seats, you may get lucky and have a spare seat next to you for the ~15 hour AUS to USA flight.

Have fun and enjoy your travels

Cheers

Captain
My GXL TTD 200 Landcruiser and AORC Quantum loaded with Kayaks and bikes (my Camprite now sold )

Offline rescue1

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • D40 Navara [HIS] T31 X-Trail [HERS]
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2011, 07:44:08 PM »
There are basically 2 options, get a return flight to LA or Hawaii then do the internal flights using an airpass or searching the web for the cheapest option.

Is she planning to stay for a week in each place? If so she might be able to pick up accomodation cheaply at timeshare resorts that might have vacancies or there is at least 1 person on this forum that has timeshare in Australia & US that is rented out at cost (shameless self promotion here) to friends (and that includes fellow forum members)

Offline SteveandViv

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Never get sick of being here
    • Our Travel Blog - Have a look....
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2011, 10:49:30 PM »
I have travelled to the USA too many times now and have recently returned after a 6 month stay in Tampa, Florida. While I wasn't too concenred with cost (work pays!) I was far more concerned about connection times etc... I have always travelled over via Qantas but have used many of the USA domestic airlines. But given the trip you have described I would be booking in advance as you virtually always get the best price that way. I have had work colleagues travel with me on the same flight/class yet having booked 2 weeks apart there can be a 50-100% cost difference, go figure.

Main points would to be;

a) avoid Los Angeles airport like the plague, try and go thru the new Qantas flight to Dallas , save a lot of flight time, esp to Florida.

b) book your flights thru the one carrier ie. Qantas. That way you get international travel baggage allowance when flying domestically (2 bags for economy or 3 if a Gold flyer). Qantas use American Airlines as their USA domestic carrier and they are on par with the rest.

c) Pay for extra baggage before the airport online, usually works out cheaper (depends on carrier). Some domestic carriers charge for every checked bag - no free allowance.

d) USA domestic travel is very much like a bus service with big queues. Allow 2 hours from arrival at a domestic airport to flight time, security can be unbelieveable and I have had to queue for over an hour just to get into the terminal, never mind check in and find the gate.

e)Board as soon as possible, there is never enough room for carry on in the overhead lockers as the size of USA carry-on is rediculous.

d) Avoid domestic flights on Monday morning and Friday evening, everyone is trying to go/arrive from home to work

e) mid-week flights are often cheaper, but better is that usually have a few spare seats, you may get lucky and have a spare seat next to you for the ~15 hour AUS to USA flight.

Have fun and enjoy your travels

Cheers

Captain

There all good point Capitan, and so true...

Wouldn't know about the 15 hours having any one next to me as we were lucky enough to go up the front most of the time- suffer  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D.......

D4D, yea so true about their lounges and no calls, Been yelling at the Qantas staff about that as well.

Anyway. Happy being at home now. Gave that all up for - mmmmm still wondering
http://steveandviv.blogspot.com.au/

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2011, 07:55:35 AM »
For the frequent flyers amongst us, I have just found this site that has some interesting ways to 'increase' your status credits...
http://www.australianfrequentflyer.com.au/community/qantas-frequent-flyer-program/

Work - Outback
Play - Prado