Author Topic: What trailer 25k or under?  (Read 12864 times)

Offline GeeQue

• Swag User
  • Only God can judge me
Re: What trailer 25k or under?
« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2011, 07:39:52 PM »
x6 Trackabout Extenda

:cheers:
GeeQue

I thought it through and my worst brings out the best in you.

morgansmall

« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2011, 09:49:06 PM »
Mate the main thing is to know what you want and then hunt from there.

We were in the same posi as you though hoping to get something for $20k max with all the trimmings, having ruled out new Complete Campsites as too exxy.  Narrowed down our wants to a rear fold soft floor and were keen on Trackabout, Red Rock (Mebourne) and Outback Sturt.

Somehow we ended up coming across a 2nd hand basic Complete Campsite Nomad (now Jabiru) which is in near new condition for $17.5, leaving a nice few hunge for extras.  And believe me - you WILL want to mod your camper - it's impossible to resist  :D $ :'(

Offline BradandPeta

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • I have a friend's with Jayco's ... I need new ones
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2011, 10:01:19 PM »
Stop drinking VB !! If you wanna upgrade mate I reckon you should go for an easier set up, meaning most soft floor camper would not be much easier to set up than your Mario for that price I would be looking at second hand hard floor ..... thats if you wanna still tow a trailer .. I have a grerat option for the back of your triton though  ;)

Offline Jason B

• "Mark Goldie recovery team coordinator"
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • 80 Series Turbo DX Cruiser, Kimberley Kamper 2013 SE
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2011, 10:12:25 PM »
Hey mate

We just went through this ourselves. We had a budget of 30k and for that got a 2005 Kimberley Kamper Limited Edition, with boat and motor, large annex and walls. 120l of water, excellent s/s kitchen, hard floor, electrics - LED lighting - water pump etc etc. Without the boat loader, boat and motor you will pick one up for your budget. We used a Trak Shak before this and the Kimberley is a totally different beast. The ease of set up for over-nighters is the best feature. 5 mins and you are in bed (an that includes moving the boat).

Do yourself a favour and at least look at one before you spend your money elsewhere.   

Offline Humbolt

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2011, 10:16:10 PM »
Yeah i think the first decision to narrow it down would be hard or soft floor!!

Offline Jason B

• "Mark Goldie recovery team coordinator"
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • 80 Series Turbo DX Cruiser, Kimberley Kamper 2013 SE
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2011, 10:31:24 PM »
Yeah i think the first decision to narrow it down would be hard or soft floor!!

It just depends on how much room you need (not want) we were concerned that a KK wouldn't be big enough and at first we went with a Trak Shak. The space inside the TS is awesome but putting all that canvas up and down and then setting up the kitchen was a real pain in the A$^!. We were oblivious to how easy it could be until we had a good look at a KK. You can honestly have it setup and be cooking or in bed in 5 minute's.

I cant believe how easy it is. My missus was blown away and she is quite comfortable opening it and closing it by herself, this is a great help when packing up or packing the clothes etc for the trip. I am currently saving my pennies with the hope of getting into a brand new one next year.

Regards

Jas 

Offline Rod Camping

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • 2009 Lifestyle Extenda-2011 Nissan Patrol ST Wagon
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2011, 01:21:09 PM »
Our walkways are 600 mm wide hmmm how wide is yours Rod ?.....and good luck with your camper decisions mate  ;D

Cheers
JT

JT firstly i dont want to take anything away from your trailers. I almost bought one however you didnt at the time offer the extenda. To answer your Question my walkway way id 900mm thats right 3 foot instead of 2 foot.

Cheers Rod.... 8)

Offline Johnny Trackabout

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • GIDDY UP...WHOO BACK
« Reply #32 on: May 03, 2011, 04:42:15 PM »
JT firstly i dont want to take anything away from your trailers. I almost bought one however you didnt at the time offer the extenda. To answer your Question my walkway way id 900mm thats right 3 foot instead of 2 foot.

Cheers Rod.... 8)

No thats cool Rod never thought that for a minute ;D 3ft walkway massive.....enjoy

Cheers
JT

Offline Bill

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #33 on: May 03, 2011, 05:28:22 PM »
2 more votes here for Trackabout...
Bill and Morag
"The problem with the world is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?"
-unknown

Offline brumby

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #34 on: May 03, 2011, 07:21:42 PM »
Have a Tambo Omeo and would recomend
Landcruiser Prado 08 GXL, Tambo Omeo Camper

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2011, 10:46:02 AM »
Also check out Tru Blu Campers out of Melbourne
http://www.trublucampers.com.au/campers
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline DeLuxHiLux

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Growing Old is Inevitable. Growing Up is Optional
« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2011, 11:21:07 AM »
Having just been through the same thing but with $5K less in my pocket, I went Tambo Omeo! Great product froma company with a pretty good reputation (backed up by experience from people i know with Tambos!) and for your $25 large, you'd get all the annexe walls, 240v and some change! - but then I just bought one so my opinion is some what skewwed ;)

It really does depend on what space you want, do you want the walk up design, etc etc etc.

We have 2 kids (and maybe another in the future) so space was important. If you were travelling 2 up, it would be VERY roomy!!

I hope we are helping and not hindering , the selection process!!!!

SC
'07 HiLux with some "fruit
'11 Tambo Omeo

Back home in one piece!!!

Common Sense: So Rare, it's a SuperPower

Our half lap 2013  blog: www.deluxhilux.blogspot.com.au

Offline Matto

• Don't Follow Me - I Won't Make It
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2011, 12:15:00 PM »
Racer,

I'll agree with the basic theme that's coming out here - $25k will get you a gold edition soft-floor brand new, or potentially a very nice pre-loved hardfloor. As Lost has pointed out, if you keep your eye out you're likely to come across some real gems second-hand.

As far as new soft-floor campers go, obviously I'd throw my hat in with the Trackabout crowd. We've got the Safari Extenda SV side-fold, and it's excellent. Setup time is laughably quick, and they're a rock-solid camper. We went the side-fold because we wanted the bigger tent section - the Safari rear-fold might also be worth a look for you, it's got some nice features that would make it potentially even quicker to set up.

I would imagine that $25k for a Trackabout would see most if not all of your requirements addressed re: 12v/240v setup, plumbed water, and nice kitchen. We've got the stainless kitchen on ours, and it's one of our favourite bits of the camper. So easy to set up, so easy to clean, just works really well and is a joy to use. If you haven't already, I'd recommend giving JT a call just to have a chat and get some more info.

This is not taking anything away from Complete Campsite though - while I've never owned one of their campers, I have admired them from afar. I have a lot of respect for them, but for me, the price was in the next bracket (or two) up, and I couldn't see the value in going there. That was just my situation though, the people who have CC campers definitely love them!

Good luck with your decision!
Matto :)
"I have a bunch of junk that is not any better than yours." - MoGas - ExPo member #226.

Racer

« Reply #38 on: May 08, 2011, 06:39:43 PM »
Well, where do I start. I appreciate all the replies, very informative however after having attended and spent about 5hours looking at various camper trailers, Jayco/Goldstreams/Golf's, caravans and more camper trailers we have decided on the Jayco. Goldstream looked like a better finish, Coromal appeared a little overpriced, Jayco seemed on the money and the Golf did too...just not 100% convinced on them.

There are some nice soft/hard floor campers however I just can't seem to spend the money for the use I will give it. So as for what model, we are focused on the Jayco Swan Outback at this stage, whether it be second hand or new.

Offline Kit_e_kat9

• It's all about the Journey ...
  • Hard Top Camper User
    • The Lyons Den
« Reply #39 on: May 08, 2011, 06:44:21 PM »

Hardest part accomplished Racer.  Now for the options ...

Kit_e
2010 Hilux SR5 & 2010 Aussie Swag Rover LX
My Blog

Racer

« Reply #40 on: May 08, 2011, 06:50:20 PM »

Hardest part accomplished Racer.  Now for the options ...

Kit_e

Thats right Kit_e

They seem to hold their value, well thats it they sell at what they are asking. Show price was $27990 (Swan outback) with most options, including microwave, flys, full annexe, slide out bbq, the list went on. Some on the 2nd hand market want more than that....

Still have a few months up my sleeve, so we are in no complete rush...

Offline BradandPeta

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • I have a friend's with Jayco's ... I need new ones
« Reply #41 on: May 08, 2011, 08:04:05 PM »
Where do u put your bike ? Oh u don't have one sorry ;)

Racer

« Reply #42 on: May 08, 2011, 09:20:16 PM »
Where do u put your bike ? Oh u don't have one sorry ;)
On your trailer behind the hilux!

Offline Matto

• Don't Follow Me - I Won't Make It
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #43 on: May 09, 2011, 09:23:55 AM »
Hi Racer,

Nice choice - the Jayco Outback setups are very flash! It's not a Swan, but one fellow on the PCOA forums is selling his Outback Eagle at the moment:
http://pcoa.org.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=6164&p=51735

I've no idea what the differences are or whether it's a good price or not, just thought I'd mention it!

Good luck!
Matto :)

"I have a bunch of junk that is not any better than yours." - MoGas - ExPo member #226.

Racer

« Reply #44 on: May 09, 2011, 09:58:27 AM »
Thanks Matto, yeah that is the model below the Swan. It is same options however a foot shorter. Once again, for $25K I could have got a brand new with near identical options...there are a lot for sale out there, just the better priced ones are selling!

Offline Ranger07

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #45 on: May 10, 2011, 10:34:43 AM »
We've got a Tambo Cooper withe quite a few extras ie walls and front for the awning, water tank, space at the front for jerries, swing out kitchen with extended bench and the extra bedroom if we stay somewhere for more than a couple of nights to give extra space for the kids.  We didn't pay more than $17,000.  We are very happy with it especially the quality of the tent itself.