Poll

Was/Is your experience?

Great
Good
So so
Poor
Pulling teeth was a better experience

Author Topic: NBN. What is your experience so far.  (Read 127458 times)

Offline jwb

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: NBN. What is your experience so far.
« Reply #175 on: April 18, 2018, 01:06:58 PM »
I've been with TPG since Nov 17
HFC connection
No issues that I've found
I went "no contract" so that I could move if I had issues.
Went for a cheap plan but soon found limits
Moved up 1 plan.
All good so far.
I was surprised!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Cheers

Jwb

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #176 on: April 18, 2018, 01:22:17 PM »
wouldn't touch them with a 50 foot pole... service, speed and overall management is s**t, IMO...

i moved from iinet (tpg sub now) to aussie broadband and haven't looked back...

no peak hour slowness, totally transparent company who actually publish their CVC graphs (link below) so you can see how they are performing:

https://www.aussiebroadband.com.au/cvc-graphs/

they don't over-subscribe their links and have a policy of leaving a decent percentage free to allow for spikes in traffic...

in your case, bird, $79 per month gets you a 50mb plan, unlimited data...

https://www.aussiebroadband.com.au/residential/residential-internet/nbn/

aussie-based support as well...

hard to go past...  i'm on a 100mb FTTN plan, am about 500m from the node and get a rock solid 68-70mb any time of the day or night...

oldies are on a fixed wireless 50mb plan and get 46-48mb any time...
500mtrs? in my wettest dreams...
Line of sight distance: 2376m. Possible cable distance: 2846m. its one of the biggest exchanges in Vic

Its interesting only heard good things about TPG over the years, and even on whingepool!  Another reason I looked at TPG bloke at work is with them on the 100 plan and has had it ~6mths and in the last 2 mths something has changed to make it MUCH better. No idea what, but his speeds havent dropped below 96meg any time of day or night... No congestion at all. Hes in Moorabbin Vic near the airport.

I'll keep looking and thinking.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #177 on: April 18, 2018, 02:41:13 PM »
So my contract is up and its time to change. I've changed most important people to my Gmail now, so email address is not that important anymore.

Did you go with Gmail just so you could write “this message will self destruct”...?? ;D

https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2018/04/3-better-alternatives-to-gmails-self-destructing-emails/

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #178 on: April 18, 2018, 07:25:43 PM »
cant believe Im asking this..

Anyone with Telstra???
Looking at the costs, for what IM paying now for foxtel for sport, and optus for internet, I can get foxtel and 100meg internet for less than Im using now with a Telstra plan.
I feel dirty asking that

Great news! You can connect to the nbn™ network via Fibre to the Premises technology.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 07:29:03 PM by Bird »
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline GeoffA

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "If 1 axle is good, 2 must be better........."
« Reply #179 on: April 18, 2018, 07:41:59 PM »
Anyone with Telstra???

Yep. FTTP.

30 seconds ago.....2 ping, 91 down, 34 up. Everyone in the house on-line.

No complaints.
Geoff and Kay

1999 GU TD42T wagon
2005 Coota Camper - gone, but never forgotten
2020 North Coast 15' Titanium - tandem, of course

Land Cruiser.....the Patrol that Toyota try to build.....

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #180 on: April 18, 2018, 07:43:05 PM »

Anyone with Telstra???
Looking at the costs, for what IM paying now for foxtel for sport, and optus for internet, I can get foxtel and 100meg internet for less than Im using now with a Telstra plan.
I feel dirty asking that

Great news! You can connect to the nbn™ network via Fibre to the Premises technology.

I was told by the guy who tied to fix my POS adsl2 connection that when I do finally get NBN, Telstra or Aussie Broadband are the two to go with, having said that, I have just dealt with Telstra for issues with my wife's and my new mobile plans and their customer service is a PITA, but got a $50 credit on my wife's account because I said I wanted to be compensated for my hassle and a $10/m credit and an extra 5GB/m on mine as they were still advertising an add on that was no longer available.

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #181 on: April 18, 2018, 08:00:14 PM »
I was told by the guy who tied to fix my POS adsl2 connection that when I do finally get NBN, Telstra or Aussie Broadband are the two to go with, having said that, I have just dealt with Telstra for issues with my wife's and my new mobile plans and their customer service is a PITA, but got a $50 credit on my wife's account because I said I wanted to be compensated for my hassle and a $10/m credit and an extra 5GB/m on mine as they were still advertising an add on that was no longer available.

telstra would be my second choice... (after aussie broadband, my current ISP)

have not had one issue with them in over 20 years of being a phone customer...

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #182 on: April 18, 2018, 08:02:38 PM »
I have woefully slow adsl2, am at the limit in regards to distance from the exchange so have very slow internet and frequent dropouts so have been counting down to getting broadband, when I looked earlier last year they said from Oct 2017, then it went too 5th Jan 2018, just checked again and now it's saying Oct 2018 WTF? Just checked my current speed after a reset and it 0.90 Mbps  :'(

That was back in January, just checked again now and "Planned availability: Progressively from Jan-Jun 2019*." SERIOUSLY WTF from Oct 2017 to now Jan-Jun 2019, even though the "Build has commenced"

Will just enjoy the speed I am currently getting at Uni I guess to take my mind off of my crappy home connection.

A speed test from Uni

Offline rockrat

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #183 on: April 18, 2018, 08:46:45 PM »

Anyone with Telstra???
I feel dirty asking that

I went the opposite direction. Ditched standard Foxtel and Telstra for Foxtel Now and Optus when I moved house from one inner Brisbane suburb to another. Overall I think Telstra was better than Optus but more expensive. 

Offline jmy

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #184 on: April 18, 2018, 09:59:56 PM »

Anyone with Telstra???

Yep, FTTP for 12 months, never dropped out, 4G backup in gateway has done nothing.  CVC is the difference between the quality ISP's.  Telstra just has more bandwidth than anyone else.  Whenever I've ran a speedtest never got below 90Mbit/s.  Aussie Broadband would be my 2nd choice.

Offline Rodt

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #185 on: April 19, 2018, 07:34:44 AM »
Received an email overnight from Kogan that announced they are now in the nbn market

When it comes my turn to signup I hope my head doesn't explode

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #186 on: April 19, 2018, 07:51:44 AM »
Telstra just has more bandwidth than anyone else.

for the NBN, this isn't necessarily correct...

the amount of CVC purchased for customers is the key, with everyone having the opportunity (but maybe not the $$$) to buy the appropriate amount for their customers...

also, how that CVC ratio is managed is also an important factor...

telstra may have the $$$ to buy more CVC than others, but don't always do it, whereas an RSP like aussie broadband make it a part of their standard operating policy to have a % buffer on every link they have... and this can be viewed by the publicly available CVC graphs, which most other RSP's don't make available...

« Last Edit: April 19, 2018, 07:55:43 AM by paceman »

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #187 on: April 19, 2018, 09:01:23 AM »
Quote from: Rodt
... I hope my head doesn't explode
That's where I am right now. The more I look into it the more confused I get..

I'm a bit of a fan of more well known ISP's or bigger for support, experience and a Helpdesk that speaks real English I'd pay more for.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline WilSurf

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #188 on: April 19, 2018, 02:11:20 PM »
We are with Telstra, but no NBN yet as we are on the hybrid which has been delayed till no-one knows when.
The cable internet from Telstra is not the fastest at all and regularly drops out.
I have a better and stable connection with my mobile using Virgin than Telstra.
- Kimberley Kamper Sports RV Limited Edition
- Lexus LX470 V8, E-locker, ARB Sahara bullbar

Offline Pottsy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #189 on: April 19, 2018, 02:15:30 PM »
With Telstra, small internet plan and Foxtel package, no issues, quite often on Mac and two to three other wifi connections in the house when the kids are here.
if God had meant me to walk he wouldn't have invented 4wds! Mitsubishi Challenger Pc 2014 (Blondie)
Challange Meredien Offroad Walk Thru

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #190 on: April 20, 2018, 07:38:16 AM »
My folks were forced to cutover to the NBN the other month, they live regional. They have FTTN and are approx. 200m from the node. They went with Telstra and paid the extra to have a Telstra modem supplied and premium install. The local tech was fantastic and was able to setup everything properly for them, including retaining use of the old phones, he got under the house and rewired everything. They're very happy and so am I as it all works and I don't need to provide tech support. Some of their neighbours who self installed are not so lucky and have had lots of issues.
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #191 on: April 20, 2018, 07:44:00 AM »
My folks were forced to cutover to the NBN the other month, they live regional. They have FTTN and are approx. 200m from the node. They went with Telstra and paid the extra to have a Telstra modem supplied and premium install. The local tech was fantastic and was able to setup everything properly for them, including retaining use of the old phones, he got under the house and rewired everything. They're very happy and so am I as it all works and I don't need to provide tech support. Some of their neighbours who self installed are not so lucky and have had lots of issues.

my in-laws were similar... they were on telstra adsl and telstra just sent out the NBN upgrade modem, simple install and when the NBN was ready, it automatically switched them over...

people complain about telstra (and some with good reason), but i haven't had a bad experience with them and they obviously get a fair bit right...

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #192 on: April 20, 2018, 09:31:19 AM »
Good old country service. You cant beat it.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #193 on: April 20, 2018, 09:55:24 AM »
Good old country service. You cant beat it.

The key line there is "they paid the extra to have a Telstra modem supplied and premium install".

The reality of country service these days is to run the fiber cable to all of the properties zoned "residential" and "rural residential" but refuse to go the extra 10m down the road so any "rural" properties can get connected...
Rural = Skymuster for NBN.
Doesn't matter if you're less then 1km from the exchange or that the new fiber cable literally stops in front of your house, if you're zoned rural you must expect second class service in this modern country...

Offline Paddler Ed

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #194 on: April 20, 2018, 10:05:18 AM »
The key line there is "they paid the extra to have a Telstra modem supplied and premium install".

The reality of country service these days is to run the fiber cable to all of the properties zoned "residential" and "rural residential" but refuse to go the extra 10m down the road so any "rural" properties can get connected...
Rural = Skymuster for NBN.
Doesn't matter if you're less then 1km from the exchange or that the new fiber cable literally stops in front of your house, if you're zoned rural you must expect second class service in this modern country...

And a chunk of the SkyMuster bandwidth was sold to Qantas so city people could stay connected whilst flying...

I'm lucky, I'm about 1.5km from the town boundary, but do get NBN Fixed Wireless (and am only a few km from the towers) so do OK there.

I think the best comment was when I heard someone say they had the AARNET line run through their property but weren't allowed to connect to that... you think NBN FTTP is quick? AARNET is quicker again as that's the backbone for the university networks.

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #195 on: April 20, 2018, 10:06:29 AM »
Quote from: Paddler Ed
I think the best comment was when I heard someone say they had the AARNET line run through their property but weren't allowed to connect to that...
he should keep blowing it up or cutting the link until they come to the party!
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #196 on: April 20, 2018, 10:15:30 AM »
And a chunk of the SkyMuster bandwidth was sold to Qantas so city people could stay connected whilst flying...

I'm lucky, I'm about 1.5km from the town boundary, but do get NBN Fixed Wireless (and am only a few km from the towers) so do OK there.

I think the best comment was when I heard someone say they had the AARNET line run through their property but weren't allowed to connect to that... you think NBN FTTP is quick? AARNET is quicker again as that's the backbone for the university networks.

Lucky bugger...
With the hills between me and the tower it'll cost me about $5k for a mast big enough to hit the closest fixed wifi provider.
Next option is $2k for a 3G/4G boosted system, got this one quoted late last month and seriously considering it as our current mobile reception is 1 bar of 3G (More good ol' country service ;) ).
And the final option is to stay on the current ADSL connection until the last day that Telstra supply it to us.

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #197 on: April 20, 2018, 10:16:13 AM »

Yep, did you see my scores up a few posts, here it is again anyway

Offline Bird

• Hard Top Camper User
    • My Place.
« Reply #198 on: April 20, 2018, 12:47:10 PM »
Received an email overnight from Kogan that announced they are now in the nbn market

https://www.koganinternet.com.au/
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline rossm

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #199 on: May 09, 2018, 09:59:37 PM »
Got a text the other day telling me NBN was ready, which was a surprise because it was scheduled for April 27 then put back to August.

On Monday  Saw a guy out the front checking my pit and went out to ask what’s up and he told me he had just switched me over. That was another surprise.

Inside the home  phone as dead and the ADSL was off. Only problem is I had no new modem. Then I get a text telling  me it’s on the way.

Arrived this afternoon and I was quite pleased that I seemed to follow the instructions setting it up  and all seemed good. Until right at the end.  No  internet.

On the phone to iiNet,  went through it again, still no joy. Guy was very methodical and patient. Went  away and then rang me back.

Upshot is there is a line fault or a dodgy modem. What to do?

I am off to Canada tomorrow, see about it in three weeks.

Bit of a bummer but probably par for the course.