Author Topic: Minor eBay dilemma  (Read 3947 times)

Offline nab

• Hard Top Camper User
Minor eBay dilemma
« on: December 10, 2014, 12:56:32 AM »
I had a few windows opened on eBay from the one seller. I knew what I wanted to buy but was having a sticky at other stuff aswell. A reputable seller in Australia, recommended on this site and elsewhere.

Anyway on Saturday I clicked and bought a $100 item. The actual item I wanted was $180 but my brain was still dealing with the kids so I did not notice I had bought the wrong item. Paid for it direct debit straight away. 10 mins later I realised my mistake so I emailed the seller and asked them if I could just deposit the extra $80 and they change my order.

Got an out of office reply saying they would be back in the office today. I received an email today saying I could return it but I would have to pay for postage to return it(maybe $15) and also their $24 P&H fee.

I emailed back that I had emailed them only 10 minutes after purchasing the item, it was done on Saturday so payment would not yet have cleared and the "item posted" icon had not yet be illuminated so they had not yet sent it, so why should I have to pay when the item hasn't even been sent?

I got another out of office reply. I will see how they reply.

Now I may be out of pocket an extra $40, admittedly totally my fault, no need to remind me haha.

I'm guessing I will probably have to take it on the chin which is not a major issue, I just thought it would be a simple change of order, I flick them the extra $$$ and all is good.

What you you reckon? Am I expecting too much? It's only $40 in the end but that isn't the point I'm making.
2005 Jayco Dove - sold
2003 Coromal Pioneer XC

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
Re: Minor eBay dilemma
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2014, 06:16:11 AM »
How could it have been processed and sent if they werent due back to the office till today, so it should be just a matter of a bit of admin adjustment before sending the correct item out, and surely wouldnt be that inflexible over  fee's charged... But if its been somehow sent already then you got to cop it on the chin IMO .
 Bit like my computer guru Swambo accidently double ordered some gear out of Honkers, thats hit the hip pocket a bit ..Weve just got to cop it too, not the sellers mistake ..
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline Aaron Schubert

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • 4WDing Australia
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2014, 08:02:59 AM »
They should fix it. I'm sure this sort of thing happens all the time

Aaron
My Isuzu Dmax

Check out my blog at 4WDing Australia

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2014, 09:39:50 AM »
Sure they aren't drop shipping, so they do nothing but take the cash and the other company ships it...??/
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline HKB Electronics

• Hard Top Camper User
  • www.hkbelect.com
    • HKB Electronics
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2014, 09:42:31 AM »
As Bird wrote, probably dropped shipped, order forwarded to another company who have already shipped it.
HKB Electronics, manufacturer of the Alternator Voltage Boosters

Offline Beachman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2014, 09:54:40 AM »
I did something similar early this year, like you I emailed them straight away and first thing Monday morning they replied saying no problems and changed my order to what I was intending to buy.

Mind you this was a small Australian company.

Offline nab

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2014, 02:46:57 AM »
Well the ebay seller got back to me and said no problems, just deposit the extra and I'll change the order. I deposited the extra that night.

That was on the 11/12/14.

Since then I have sent a couple of messages to see what was happening with no reply. Then an unpaid item case was opened a few days later. Then yesterday I received an email from ebay saying the unpaid item case was closed and has been recorded against my name. Still haven't received any communication from the seller. I have contacted ebay and they have told me to try and contact the seller to see what is going on. Yeah, thanks for the tip haha.

I have requested their contact details and will call them on Monday.

Hmmm. I just need the item before Jan 8th which is why I ordered it a month prior (admittedly I did botch the order in the first place  :-[)
2005 Jayco Dove - sold
2003 Coromal Pioneer XC

Offline dales133

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2014, 04:24:15 AM »
I've made the same mistake before and the unpaid item thing is just one way to end the transaction.
I recon you'll be fine

Offline NewieCamper

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2014, 07:56:14 AM »
Similar happened to me, but managed to fix it before they posted. I ordered some roof racks for the wrong model car (older model). The seller was helpful allowing me to pay the difference to get the right racks, but at the. End of the day it cost me about $20 because a different seller had the right racks a bit cheaper. I could have argued for a refund, but since they were willing to help out I thought it was fair. These are the perils of buying online late at night.

Offline nab

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2014, 02:14:23 AM »
All sorted.

The item (the one I actually wanted) arrived on Monday. The Ebay seller finally got back to me and they had forgotten to mark Paid/Sent on ebay.

The seller's communication was woeful ("hectic times around here") and they apologised. The main issue for me was I had no idea if they got the money, did a runner or whatever. Ebay help came good and removed the Unpaid mark against my name.

Moral of the story - triple check what you are buying off Ebay...
2005 Jayco Dove - sold
2003 Coromal Pioneer XC