Author Topic: Rooftop Bag or Hard Case  (Read 1910 times)

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
Rooftop Bag or Hard Case
« on: November 24, 2021, 01:55:02 PM »
hi all,

i have just taken delivery of our new (to us) AORC Odyssey hard floor...

what i need to do is decide on whether to use a rooftop bag or hard plastic tool boxes for storage while travelling.

this storage will be for two bunkers, camp chairs and other odds and ends...

would love to hear opinions on how people chose their storage option... and maybe offer some input about something i may have overlooked...

was looking at a drifta bag or a southern cross bag... or, on the other side i was thinking about something like this...

https://www.bunnings.com.au/rhino-toolbox-1200-x-550-x-310mm-grey-low-rider-cargo-case_p5810785

« Last Edit: November 24, 2021, 02:13:39 PM by paceman »

Offline plusnq

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Rooftop Bag or Hard Case
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2021, 02:52:51 PM »
I’ve done both methods. Bag is useful for mixed stuff that may not fit in a box. It will wear over time but I got over ten years out of ours.I used a bit of marine carpet in the floor which hoped I thought. Lighter weight than boxes.

Boxes are more difficult to get things out of due to high sides. Can be limiting due to sizes available. Can be more of a target for thieves. More difficult to store unless you pack everything in there when you get home….or leave them on permanently.

Cheers

Shane
« Last Edit: November 24, 2021, 03:24:00 PM by plusnq »
The following users thanked this post: paceman, stevonz

Offline MrCruza

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2021, 03:20:43 PM »
What he ^^ said. The box is very limited as something that is slightly oversize just wont fit, whereas you can "make" it fit in a bag. The bag tends to be much larger in footprint so things like tables and chairs fit easier. Downside of the bag is they can be a pain to load / unload on the roof. We had a Bushranger PVC style bag and in cold weather it was like trying to fold corrugated iron :(

I use a Rhino pod when tent camping. Still hard sided and non flexible but the one we have is sized to carry exactly what we use. Much easier to use than a bag or a box.
Cheers, John.

'12 Cruiser
2020 NextGen Blackline
The following users thanked this post: paceman

Offline wilson79

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2021, 03:21:57 PM »
I have used both options and prefer the bag.

I use one all the time on my FF camper. Great for storing all types of odd shaped items etc. As mentioned they do wear out, usually the zips due to dust.

I started with  Kings bag and it Shit itself very quickly, I then went to the Rhino bags (I have been through 2) which were good but more expensive but worked well until the zips went. I now have a Curt bag which so far i am very happy with, it was a bit cheaper but looks to be good quality. However it is Early days yet..
Regards,

Wilson79

My camper, http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=39588.msg711354#msg711354
2014 Ecomate Traveller FF

My Tug, OCT 2016 VDJ200 VX Landcruiser
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=54907.msg955281#msg955281

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2021, 06:41:14 PM »
When we did Fraser, mate bought the Southern Cross one and it wasnt cheap but it moulded to all his bedding and stuff... They used it for years, even after they got the caravan.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2021, 07:58:26 PM »
Thanks all for the input… exactly what I was after…

Looks like the bag is the go…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline MDS69

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2021, 08:14:32 PM »
I have one of these (I think it this size) for sale, used once, if you are interested. Can check tomorrow for exact size.
 https://www.rhinorack.com/en-au/products/roof/luggage-bags/luggage-bags/weatherproof-luggage-bag-250l-_lb250

Offline Hairs

• Get outside every day, Miracles are waiting everywhere
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • A door can be a jar, but a jar can not be a door??
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2021, 06:44:52 AM »
We've used a bag for about 5 years now.
Swags, Ground sheet, chairs and a bag of clothes, sleeping bags. It's served us well, and when not bring used it doesn't take up much room in the Shed, not much bigger than the double sleeping bag.
After each trip, it's cleaned and ready for the next,
edit, sorry, it is a Ridgerider from supercheap, can't complain about the quality.

« Last Edit: November 25, 2021, 06:47:03 AM by Hairs »
You don't use magic to disappear, all you need is a 4wd & a Swag ;)

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2021, 06:58:01 AM »
As above I like a bag because it can be made to fit different sizes, i.e. you can expand it or cinch it depending on what you're carrying. With a space case or similar the size is the size and gear will move around in it if not full. Also works for when you can't be bothered packing perfectly on the way home. When you leave home your gear is typically nicely packed but sometimes you need to pack up in a hurry and playing Tetris with a space case when it's pouring rain is not fun.
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline GBC

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2021, 07:24:05 AM »
I had canvas/soft roof bags for years. Still have one. I bought a rhino roof pod a year ago for a trip in the wife's subaru, but it now finds a home on the front box of my camper trailer. I will not return to soft dirty leaking bags for chairs etc., the rhino box swallows it all easily. I also have a space case on the rear of the camper for all the extra canvas when we need to take it. It serves a purpose but I don't like looking at it.