Author Topic: Just bought a Gopro 7 black  (Read 2175 times)

Offline Craig Tomkinson

• Hard Top Camper User
Just bought a Gopro 7 black
« on: July 07, 2019, 07:58:10 PM »
Hi All, Finally go around to buying a Gopro 7 black and holding accessories and 3 spare batteries and charger and a 128gb sd sandisc supreme card, got a bit advise of the ex Camera man for the AFN fishing series, this is what he uses, Can not what to do some filming of my mob on the road and when I go up the cape, Any tips other than try not to swear for good shots, oh bought of amazon for $630 the lot delivered, Craig
« Last Edit: July 07, 2019, 08:01:19 PM by Craig Tomkinson »
1990 80 series 1HZ hill sniffer rebiult with 2 inch lift
1982 Jayco Jaylark  pop up van rebuilt
1999 5m Quintrex King on heavy duty offroad boat trailer

Offline Steffo1

• Hard Top Camper User
  • More I learn about women, more I like my ute
Re: Just bought a Gopro 7 black
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2019, 07:39:57 AM »
If your going to have an adhesive dash or windscreen mount, make sure you take a bit of time checking the placement as the cameras have quite a low, high and wide field of view. Things like the base of the rear vision mirror or tinted windscreen strip can come into play without looking like they would.
Another thing I did was take the mount that it comes on in the packaging, gave that a bit of a clean up and use it in the old 'tilly.
I find battery life below expectations and when mounted on the w/screen, the "Turn Off" voice command is dodgy.
Yep, you've got to remember it's recording, especially when you're panning your mate in front for driving like a pillock ;D
Great in the boat too, Craig.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 07:42:38 AM by Steffo1 »
'93 4.2 TD 'Cruiser 'tilly
'08 TD V6 Disco 3
'10 16' Evernew Pop Top

"sit bonum tempora volvunt"

Offline Craig Tomkinson

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2019, 08:22:31 AM »
Great tips thanks Steve, I have four batteries, and will buy another 1 or 2 sd cards, I will play around with it, I should have 2 or 3 of them but hay they cost a lot, Yes I want to film a far bit of fishing, Thanks Craig
« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 12:08:26 PM by Craig Tomkinson »

Offline rockrat

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2019, 05:49:00 PM »
And make sure you tie a small bit of cord or similar to tether it if you use it on the boat. The last thing you want is for it to end up in the drink.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Craig Tomkinson

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2019, 06:17:29 PM »
Sounds good I will if i mount on the front of the tinny, I was going to use the shoulder straps that has the camera in the middle of my chest and try that, Thanks, Craig

Offline sharkcaver

• Soft Floor Camper User
    • My ramblings:
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2019, 08:39:44 PM »
That's great Craig. I look forward to some uploads  :cup:

Don't bother with more 128Gb cards, unless your on a trip for a month or more, you wont need it. Recording in 2.7K you will have about 5 hours of footage. In 1080p even more.

I really want to see how the vid stabilisation has improved with the 7. That is one of my issues with the 5.

I believe the audio is no better than the 5 - the 5 is rubbish to say the least. And GoPro deactivated the use of an external non powered mic with quick capture from the 5 onwards - good one GoPro  >:D

Oh, and you will need a $90 analogue/digital microphone converter to run an external mic  >:D >:D >:D

FYI, I run my 5's in 2.7K in linear view. My editing software only saves in 1080p, so running in 2.7k is probably overkill and chewing memory card for no benefit.

There was a 20% off special on ebay recently, I could have scored a 7 black under $500 - but after 2 long trips in quick succession, to be followed by a ceiling collapse at home, my funds are being stretched like an occy strap atm, so I had to let it go.

Good luck. Any advice you require, I'm probably not the best candidate to ask  - I personally know Jack Schitt (http://www.linkydinky.com/jackschitt.shtml) -, but if I can help, sing out.

:cheers:
An NX Paj, a D-Max and an Ultimate X-trk

http://sharkcaver.blogspot.com.au/

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoz71vk1CWl6lp6Tv3dXhkQ/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0

Offline Craig Tomkinson

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2019, 07:52:35 AM »
Thanks Shane, yes we payed a bit under $500 for the gopro from Amazon, but it was all the rest of the gear that bought the price up, Does the wind play up in the mic like the vidio cameras, Been filming stuff for 30 years but its all buggered now VHS stuff all gone yellow on the tapes, hopefully this SD card stuff will not, So to put my stuff on utube if its not to bad, does it have to be filmed in 2,7k or is 1080 good enough, Yes we are going away on the 24th of August and be home on the 20 or 21th of September so 3 weeks up there, I will ask my son what his computer can save in as he did a $400 upgrade on memory in his computer himself for his gaming and it just flys now, Yes I was going buy a 64gb Sandisc extreme pro, but the 128gb Sandisc extreme was on sale for $28 I think, Will see how we go have a lot to learn again, Whats the external mic for, when you have the camera on the tripod,  Craig   
« Last Edit: July 09, 2019, 08:38:02 AM by Craig Tomkinson »

Offline sharkcaver

• Soft Floor Camper User
    • My ramblings:
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2019, 08:44:34 PM »
Thanks Shane, yes we payed a bit under $500 for the gopro from Amazon, but it was all the rest of the gear that bought the price up, Does the wind play up in the mic like the vidio cameras, Been filming stuff for 30 years but its all buggered now VHS stuff all gone yellow on the tapes, hopefully this SD card stuff will not, So to put my stuff on utube if its not to bad, does it have to be filmed in 2,7k or is 1080 good enough, Yes we are going away on the 24th of August and be home on the 20 or 21th of September so 3 weeks up there, I will ask my son what his computer can save in as he did a $400 upgrade on memory in his computer himself for his gaming and it just flys now, Yes I was going buy a 64gb Sandisc extreme pro, but the 128gb Sandisc extreme was on sale for $28 I think, Will see how we go have a lot to learn again, Whats the external mic for, when you have the camera on the tripod,  Craig

yep, unfortunately, the camera is just the beginning of lightening ones wallet  >:D

yes, the 5 is very susceptible to wind noise, I assume the 7 is the same?? Compounding that, it has 3 mics that auto switch to the "best" source. So apart from wind noise, the audio keeps chopping and changing and its very annoying.

All my vids are saved in 1080p then uploaded as 1080p is the limit for my software (WMM), so 1080p is fine to upload. I just cast part II to my 55" tv to check the upload is ok, and the picture is fine on that large screen in 1080p

Well if you can get a 128Gb extreme for $28, then it wont hurt to have another.

because the native audio on the 5 is crap, I try to use an external mic for all shots, in the vehicle and outside as well. That stops the stupid mic switching and cuts down on wind noise too.

I agree, you have a lot to learn.....as do I for that matter. I just dont seem to get the time to sort that stuff out.
An NX Paj, a D-Max and an Ultimate X-trk

http://sharkcaver.blogspot.com.au/

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoz71vk1CWl6lp6Tv3dXhkQ/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0

Offline Craig Tomkinson

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2019, 09:24:23 PM »
Thanks Shane

Offline Craig Tomkinson

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2019, 07:30:03 AM »
Hi all, We ordered and payed for a GoPro 7 black and a heap of gear off Amazion It all turned up two days ago, No wonder shops struggle, our son has set it up for me and the film quality looks unreel can not wait to get out and us it, Craig