Author Topic: Aussie Swag vs Kimberley  (Read 32589 times)

UIZ733

Aussie Swag vs Kimberley
« on: May 04, 2013, 04:44:57 PM »
We have decided to open up the choice to more than a Cub to replace our Brumby.
Thanks to all who replied to my previous post relating to Ultimate Campers.
 Forum member’s insights and experiences have been appreciated.
Two other makes that will be on the list will be the Kimberley Limited and Aussie Swag Rover LX.
Realistically we should be in the market for a late model used OR perhaps new.
Both makes (Aussie Swag & Kimberley) appear to essentially be the same overall concept with each manufacturer having a particular emphasis specific to their marque.
One concern I have about the Kimberley is excessive ball-weight when laden. (Kimberley don't' mention anything I could find about this specification).
Is the Aussie Swag any better in this respect in reality?
I note Aussie Swag website says ball-weight is 120Kg. I presume this is dry and without the fridge and other load etc.
Fully/correctly laden is this figure likely to change by much?
Any comments and experiences appreciated .

Offline GraemeL

• Soft Floor Camper User
Re: Aussie Swag vs Kimberley
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2013, 05:29:57 PM »
I can't help you with the two you mentioned and I don't know what your budget is or what you prefer in a camper.

But have you looked at Adventure Campers? I we recently purchased the Grand Tourer and it has to be the best design I have seen for a camper.
The bed slides out from the back of the trailer, this means that anything on the roof rack, stays on the roof rack, when setting up and packing up.
The bed is also at a nice height, larger than a standard king size, no need for a ladder and you aren't climbing over your partner to get in and out.
The drivers side is all storage 1100 lt of it. There is a total of 2000 lt of storage. The full length of the left side is the kitchen.

The other thing I like about it, is the ability to just close it up when we want to go for a walk or sight seeing. It can be locked up in two minutes with just the tent and your chairs left, everything else is locked away.

Offline graham

• I used to cruise, now i just PATROL
  • Soft Floor Camper User
  • nrnr62
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2013, 06:03:51 PM »
G,day matey I do not know about the Adventure camper ,but as a owner operator of a KK the are ffin heavy on ball weight to point of when you park and unload the camper it does pay to mark the ground on your right rear tyre ,so you can back up in virtually the same position as to when you unhooked ,this is what I do,either mark the ground with your shovel  or mark a line ,or a peg as to the position of your centre of our right rear  ,this is what I do ,as there is o way you can easily move the hitch around
But I think you will find this with most trailers with a long drawbar  and kitchen attached to said drawbar ,apart from that I love it
Must add at home on the concrete I can manoeuvre it quite easily to load on the car ,but then again I've had a couple of hours practice doing hat
But that would be my thing as to what gives me the irrits ,then again I've see the same thing with soft floor campers too
Set up times are horses for courses in my book too ,are you staying overnight /a day /a week , I actually carry a boat on top  . It acts as a hard top to hide chairs ,and all sorts of other gear , and to set up for a overnight top ,probably takes 5mins ,to stay for an extended period may take half an hour, but I do not care as I generally have a beer in hand ,and I'm on holidays
Good luck in your choice of camper and happy trails   Cheers. Graham
nrnr62

Offline MR MAC GU

• Soft Floor Camper User
Aussie Swag vs Kimberley
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2013, 06:04:04 PM »
Both Aussie swag and Kimberley have a similar ball weight when loaded, both tow well, both are built well. Either would be a good buy.

I have used both and although I prefer the kitchen layout of the Aussie swag I personally feel the build quality of the kk is slightly higher.

This is my personal opinion but others will feel differently.

Sent from Behind you...BOO
"I live with Fear everyday and sometimes She lets me RACE"

The Motley Crew 4x4 and Social Club of Australia inc
www.themotleycrew.com.au

2004 GU Patrol ST Wagon with all the good touring gear.
"Lifted Locked and Loaded"

2010 Kimberley Platinum Extreme with "extras"

Offline LC

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2013, 06:12:16 PM »
G,day matey I do not know about the Adventure camper ,but as a owner operator of a KK the are ffin heavy on ball weight to point of when you park and unload the camper it does pay to mark the ground on your right rear tyre ,so you can back up in virtually the same position as to when you unhooked.

Sounds like you need the remote live app (provided you have two I devices) then you have reversing camera anywhere. When I unhook our KK I always put the jockey wheel at 90° to the kamper, so that I can move it from side to side if need be when hooking up.

As for AS v KK - have a look at both. Both are vey good and decide which one has the features that most suit you. Either way you will end up with a great kamper that will go almost anywhere your 4by will go.
MY 2016 200 series Sahara
2016 Lifestyle Reconn

Offline JCOJ

• 2019 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2013, 06:19:42 PM »
I have an Aussie Swag and I am onto my second one they are that good.

I did a thorough comparison between the two when I purchased my first one and the Aussie Swag won - easily.

When doing your comparisons check:
- Battery Charger size
- Water Tank size
- Warranty length
- Chassis size
- Kitchen placement (against the side of the camper or taking up vaulable awning space)
- Ease of use of the kitchen (can you access the pantry without having to take the saucepan off the cooker)
- Ease of use website to get your information (KK's is crap and very difficult to navigate to get the info you are looking for)
- Battery Capacity (I hate the way KK uses 6 x 35amp batteries - I think this is a stupid (my opinion only))
- The brakes (12' drum in the AS vs disc in the KK)

I think when you do all that you will also find that there is no real comparison.  I would also have to disagree with MR MAC GU on the build quality opinion - Aussie Swag have never had a suspension failure with their current set up, I have heard that KK have had to change their design a couple of times. (Happy to be corrected).  In anycase, the build quality of the AS is second to none!

As you can see, I am a little biased - but it is for good reason.  :cheers:
« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 06:26:04 PM by JKohn »

Offline fuji

• "Tail End Charlie"
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • "nolle timere" Don't be afraid
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2013, 06:22:07 PM »
I have AS and think the build is better than the KK. AS is heavy so I reverse it in and unhitched and that's where it stays. Don't dismiss the Complete Campsite. AS has a small room so will look at a room to add on later when daughter is older.  :cheers:
Wayne
And what JKohn said x 10.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 06:23:54 PM by fuji »
2017 (79 series) Landcruiser, and Evernew E100😎

Offline Stozz

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • The Driver, The Nav and The Dog
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2013, 06:22:56 PM »
Agree with the comments above.  We LOVE our KK - everything about it - quality, set up time, off-road capability, kitchen layout, storage, robustness etc.  We carry a tinny on the top and an outboard on the swingaway at the rear. Not all campers have the spare tyre underneath (and yes, there are pros and cons) but it means we can have the spare under and the outboard motor on the rear.

The one thing we do not like about the KK is the towball weight.  As mentioned above - it has a long drawbar and kitchen, fridge etc on it. We also carry a small genie in the front delta box and an OzPig and porta loo in the side gullwing - all adding to the weight.  We have done some fairly rudimentary tests at home for the towball weight and it was ~ 200kg.  We plan to take it to the public weighbridge and really check it out.

Having said all that, we now have HD airbags and springs in the back end of the Pajero and that makes a difference.  (Paj also has fridge and drawers in the back). You would not want to tow a big KK with anything less though.

For us, the strength, capabilty and carrying capacity of our camper were key criteria. 

This pic was with the old air bags that weren't helping. Note the saggy back end of the Paj. We did have a lot of our windsurfing gear on this trip as well though.

Offline JCOJ

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2013, 06:23:43 PM »
I forgot to mention that it really is a personal choice too, so whatever one you think works best for you!
« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 06:25:35 PM by JKohn »

Offline jk

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2013, 06:24:05 PM »
"I note Aussie Swag website says ball-weight is 120Kg"

Whether it's an AORC, Aussie Swag, Kimberly or Cape York the ball weight when loaded will be high ( depending on weather or not you use the space in the front storage section ), we have a Cape York which is different but similar to the others and our ball weight is about around 200kg when loaded for a trip ( I put it on the weigh bridge at work ) depending on the trip duration and destination. It's not a problem a long as you have suspension upgrades and don't excede the manufactures ball weights ! 

Whether you go for the Kimberley or the Aussie Swag you can't go wrong   :cup:
2004 V8 5 speed IFS landcruiser with "ATS"

2005 Cape York Explorer Extreme with "ATS"

2012 Crusader X Country

McGirr is my Russell Coight and I'd follow him "Almost" anywhere !!!!!!

Offline MR MAC GU

• Soft Floor Camper User
Aussie Swag vs Kimberley
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2013, 07:06:21 PM »
I have an Aussie Swag and I am onto my second one they are that good.

I did a thorough comparison between the two when I purchased my first one and the Aussie Swag won - easily.

When doing your comparisons check:
- Battery Charger size
- Water Tank size
- Warranty length
- Chassis size
- Kitchen placement (against the side of the camper or taking up vaulable awning space)
- Ease of use of the kitchen (can you access the pantry without having to take the saucepan off the cooker)
- Ease of use website to get your information (KK's is crap and very difficult to navigate to get the info you are looking for)
- Battery Capacity (I hate the way KK uses 6 x 35amp batteries - I think this is a stupid (my opinion only))
- The brakes (12' drum in the AS vs disc in the KK)

I think when you do all that you will also find that there is no real comparison.  I would also have to disagree with MR MAC GU on the build quality opinion - Aussie Swag have never had a suspension failure with their current set up, I have heard that KK have had to change their design a couple of times. (Happy to be corrected).  In anycase, the build quality of the AS is second to none!

As you can see, I am a little biased - but it is for good reason.  :cheers:

Battery charger size ...bigger
Water tank size ...bigger (can't have 2 tanks on as unless moving spare to rear bar)
Warranty length ...longer
Chassis size ...very heavy box not angle

Build quality...I cut my finger on the edge of the kitchen of as not a problem with kk
Suspension failure...none I have heard of other than a couple of broken shocky mounts 2yrs ago caused by a faulty welder.
Usable internal floor space ...kk wins
Diesel hot water more efficient than gas
Shower tent is accessed from inside kk no need to go outside
Electric hydrolic brakes option kk only
Exterior lighting ...kk hands down

Need I go on...

Nothing wrong with as they are a great second choice

www.themotleycrew.com.au

Offline jwb

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2013, 07:29:14 PM »
now now, play nice boys! ;D

Cheers

Jwb

Offline MR MAC GU

• Soft Floor Camper User
Aussie Swag vs Kimberley
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2013, 07:38:07 PM »
Lol

www.themotleycrew.com.au

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2013, 07:38:12 PM »
let the pissing competition begin..

-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Jason B

• "Mark Goldie recovery team coordinator"
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • 80 Series Turbo DX Cruiser, Kimberley Kamper 2013 SE
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2013, 07:43:10 PM »
Water tank size ...bigger (can't have 2 tanks on as unless moving spare to rear bar)

Build quality...I cut my finger on the edge of the kitchen of as not a problem with kk
Suspension failure...none I have heard of other than a couple of broken shocky mounts 2yrs ago caused by a faulty welder.

Need I go on...

X 2 with this for me, KK hands down. Much rather the chassis set up than angle. Don't like the way the AS kitchen sits against he canvas under the bedroom window. Drum brakes are crap next to electric/hydraulic disks.

AS has a much smaller anex area also. They are both good campers but KK would get my $$$ again.

Jas

Offline Stozz

• Hard Floor Camper User
    • The Driver, The Nav and The Dog
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2013, 07:48:16 PM »
Another consideration for us was access to a KK agent/rep for any service or advice.  The crew in Perth at KK were great for us, even though we bought our camper on the private market.  They helped us find a second hand boat loader, ordered and fittted our swingaway 'knuckle', did a service and then went through a full typical camper 'handover' with us as if we had bought it from them.

During our research, we actually considered a QLD-made hard floor camper but the business owner could not have been less interested in supplying/servicing WA if he tried.  I cant comment on Aussie Swag as we see very few of them on the road or for sale here so we didnt look at any. I know that KK are made in the east: my point being we are happy with the local rep/service we have received.

Maybe check out your local reps for both makes and see how you feel about their service, attitude etc. Hopefully you will never have a problem but it's good to know what you might be dealing with too.

Offline JCOJ

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2013, 10:33:00 PM »

Need I go on...

- Battery charger and water tank are NOT bigger: 40amp/60 amp and 120lt/130lt.
- I couldn't find any info whatsoever on the size of steel used on the KK chassis whereas the ASC states theirs on the website.
-ASC do offer a diesel hot water version as well as gas. In fact it was their diesel camper (Ultra D) that has won the Campertrailer of the Year for the past two years.
-Yes KK offer a 5 year warranty and yes their ensuite can be accesses from inside the camper.

Also, my list was a general list of comparisons made for the OP to consider, not one where the ASC came out on top in each category. It was the overall answers to the list that made us go with the ASC, but I have read on other topics that others have gone with KK or AORC, or CC because in their opinion the same list for them went in favour for that camper.

Just goes to show that these are both very good campers that have passionate owners.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 10:41:57 PM by JKohn »

Offline JCOJ

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2013, 10:36:03 PM »

Always  :laugh:

Nothing wrong with a friendly comparative discussion.  :cheers:

Offline Bunyip

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Lucky to have such a supportive SWMBO as LB
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2013, 11:32:34 PM »
UIZ733,

Yes we all get very passionate in justifying our decision to buy a partiicular brand.

We went with a KK but could have easily gone with as AS as well.

Both were fantastic campers, for us it came down to a couple of things:

1. The kitchen. LB suffers from bad headaches/migranes and did not like the idea of having the stove right under the window. This may or may not be an issue but wasn't worth the risk.
2. The internal space. The KK back wall slopes out from the camper meaning the entire floor space is usable. Having a tall son we can fit an extra large stretcher in there.
3. At the show that we bought the camper at we felt we got better service from the KK guys than the AS guys, not that the AS guys were bad, the KK guys were more than happy to let us open/close/push/pull everything and the guy spent over an hour with us without looking around for an out.
4. The second water tank in the AS goes up under the body just forward of the axle. I believve in the AS it goes basically on the draw bar.

As I said the decision was based on our experiences and thoughts, others will have other preferences. Spend the time and make your own decision. Trust me, neither will be wrong.

Bunyip
2002 Landcruiser GXV

Offline oldmate

• Soft Floor Camper User
Aussie Swag vs Kimberley
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2013, 11:43:46 PM »

Need I go on...

And when all is said and done you all really do want an ultimate.....you just don't realise it yet, although maybe mr mac does hahahahahahaha.
Our Blog. A work in progress
https://www.facebook.com/UltimateAdventuresBlog/

Offline MR MAC GU

• Soft Floor Camper User
Aussie Swag vs Kimberley
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2013, 06:52:54 AM »
- Battery charger and water tank are NOT bigger: 40amp/60 amp and 120lt/130lt.
- I couldn't find any info whatsoever on the size of steel used on the KK chassis whereas the ASC states theirs on the website.
-ASC do offer a diesel hot water version as well as gas. In fact it was their diesel camper (Ultra D) that has won the Campertrailer of the Year for the past two years.
-Yes KK offer a 5 year warranty and yes their ensuite can be accesses from inside the camper.

Also, my list was a general list of comparisons made for the OP to consider, not one where the ASC came out on top in each category. It was the overall answers to the list that made us go with the ASC, but I have read on other topics that others have gone with KK or AORC, or CC because in their opinion the same list for them went in favour for that camper.

Just goes to show that these are both very good campers that have passionate owners.

Mine has 60a charger and 220lt water tanks.

When we bought ours back in November 2010 as did not offer diesel in either hot water or space heater. I asked but they were not interested in entertaining the idea.

From what i am told, Kimberley are not (don't want to be involved) with camper trailer of the year.

Yes they are both good, kk is just better...

www.themotleycrew.com.au

Offline MR MAC GU

• Soft Floor Camper User
Aussie Swag vs Kimberley
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2013, 06:54:22 AM »

And when all is said and done you all really do want an ultimate.....you just don't realise it yet, although maybe mr mac does hahahahahahaha.

For sure Ollie for sure...

www.themotleycrew.com.au

nbd73

« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2013, 07:13:27 AM »
In fact it was their diesel camper (Ultra D) that has won the Campertrailer of the Year for the past two years.
Such a glorious claim to fame must surely mean AS are better!!
> seriously, as discussed in depth elsewhere, this title has zero relevance when comparing the virtues of these 2 (& any other) CT's.
We see these questions get asked all the time and the responses never change.

Offline GOLDIE

• Soft Floor Camper User
Aussie Swag vs Kimberley
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2013, 07:24:51 AM »
I think they are both fantastic. We went to the show a 2 years ago with the aim to really have a look at the kk. We did it was brilliant. We also had a look at the Aussie swag as it was there.

We loved the Aussie swag more for 3 reasons. 1st the pantry draw is huge and fantastic and my wife love it. 2nd we preferred the kitchen layout 3 rd the draw under the bed was larger.

These are our reasons and everyone will have different ones. You won't make a wrong decision with what you pick. Just go and have a look and see what one you like.
Cheers, Ryano
Ready to Roll

2010 Goldstream Storm - 2006 Toyota Landcruiser GXL

Offline Clouty

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2013, 07:25:58 AM »
Very interesting comments from both sides..
Now I'll know what to look for when I decide to down grade  >:D... Lol..
Sorry up grade.. :cheers: