26-30 years old
31-35 years old
36-40 years old
41-45 years old
46-50 years old
51-55 years old
56-60 years old
Newby, just start
Too many years have passed, too old and can't remember. I do remember Captain Cook though....:-)

Author Topic: How old is every one and what age did you get into the 4x4 and camping scene  (Read 24315 times)

Offline MarkGU

• Proud Variety Basher
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Sorry, did i offend you with my Common Sense?
    • Everyday Hero
43 and been camping since 1st week born  :cup:
99'Gu 4.2 Patrol.
2004 Jayco Outback Swan

https://www.fuelly.com/driver/markgu/patrol?fu=5470975

Offline GanG

• Soft Floor Camper User
    • NEDSA
45yo always had an affinity with the bush..........started camping seriously at about 15yo when I used to go bushwalking with my uncle, in my late teens i decided I wanted to travel, and when I was 20 bought my fist 4by, left Ballarat in 1989 for my first lap......never went back, lived and worked all over the island ever since, always had a 4by, and always camped, my kids have grown up camping/swagging.

Our last big trip in 2009 we were gone for a month, and paid for about 7 nights accom all up, the rest was free camps and swags :) and the 4 kids loved it!
Light travels faster than sound............that's why some folks may appear bright until they speak

Offline Bobsan

• Tent User
Camping all my life, purchased 2 4WDs His and Hers last year, up graded from camping in tents to 2  camper trailers, 1 offroad and 1 with a rooftop tent. and loving it.
Mits Challenger.
Bushranger Rear fold  Camper

Offline shrek4

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Lifestyle AT12 & 2020 Nissan Patrol Ti-L
34, and been camping since my cub/scout days.

Only new to 4WDing having recently purchased an 2010 demo Exceed Pajero with 20k on the clock.

Offline fishfinder

• Hard Floor Camper User
Unlike me who is just a spring chicken :)

Never too young or old to start, get out there and enjoy it.
it is a known and should be respectfully practised camping etiquette to look after the senior campers by making sure they do not have to leave their camp chair to fetch a beer when their beer is almost empty  :cheers: :laugh:
2004 Jayco Eagle Outback - 1999 Toyota Prado Snowy

Offline fishfinder

• Hard Floor Camper User
Don't laugh... He really is that old!
but not to old to leap over any stick that crosses my path
2004 Jayco Eagle Outback - 1999 Toyota Prado Snowy

Offline shrek4

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Lifestyle AT12 & 2020 Nissan Patrol Ti-L
A poll would've been easier to collate the numbers. Interesting spread though
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 05:57:08 PM by shrek4 »

Offline evolution

• Pain is just weakness leaving the body
  • Hard Top Camper User
28 now. Been 4 wheeling and camping ever since I can remember. Bought my first 4wd at 16 and built it up for when I got my p plates (GQ LWB). Joined the army like all young blokes should an slept under the stars in some pretty amazing places  ;D
After I got out I wanted a bit more luxury than a swag for the family and got a camper trailer.
I have been through a few 4wds and always seem to then go to something small and quick. My last car was a wrx, but before that was a pajero,  late model explorer then an ra rodeo and now I am in a 2008 patrol.
I like to think that 4wds and camping go hand in hand but then it all comes down to the individual.

Cheers
Evo
Owner at Regional Campers
Explore a different world!

Offline Pirate_Pete

• Soft Floor Camper User

Been camping since I was a kid.

Dad got a 1966 FJ40 in the late 70s & I learnt to drive in it, 3 speed crash box & all.

I have had 4x4 on & off over the years.

Hilux
Navara
Pajero
Challenger
Sorento
& even a all wheel drive Corolla.

Offline rodsswag

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Always dreamed it, now living it!!!!!!!
Been camping since I was knee high to a grass hopper.
Brought my first 4X4 when I was 19, a 1981 60 series cruiser GXL with a 350 Chev cost $8,000 sold it about 4 years later for $7,500.
Also that year brought my first real car too 1988 VL Walkinshaw.
Got to love the V8's.
 :cheers:

Rod......
Swag
Coramal Caravan

Offline Jason B

• "Mark Goldie recovery team coordinator"
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • 80 Series Turbo DX Cruiser, Kimberley Kamper 2013 SE
I have been camping and fishing since I was a kid. My first 4wd was at 18 and it was an FJ55 Cruiser petrol wagon that was the old mans. It was rough and had rust in the usual places but it was reliable and fun as a kid.

At 20 I joined the Fisheries department as a fisheries officer and since then I have continued to camp all over NSW as part of my job. I have been stationed on the inland since 1997 doing 13 years in the snowys at Tumut and now I am located at Bathurst. My family, wife, 2 girls 4, 8 and I have continued to camp all over the place and love it. Both of my kids were camping within their first 8 weeks on the planet. We progressed through swags, tents and now have a KK and our trusty 80 series Cruiser.

I enjoy all forms of camping especially keeping it simple and rolling out the swag, luckily this is how we roll when at work so I do plenty of it.

I turn the big 40 this year.

Regards

Jas

Offline lino6

• Hard Top Camper User
  • How repugnant
Turned 34 a couple of weeks ago.

Started camping as a pup but only tame stuff. Got my first swag at 16 or 17 and first non-family camping trip with the boys at 16 which is about the time I found out how much I like to drink! Things wend down hill from there, upgraded to swag on the back of my old ute (HQ) with a tarp over. Then went to a trailer with a canopy, then bolted a camper top to it. Now have the Aussie Jays camper.

As for 4wd we don't really do anything serious. More a just in case we get stuck. A lift kit on the DMax may change that a little! I got my Rodeo single cab tray 4WD 8 years and we've had the DMax nearly 3.
SWMBO reminds me of a Prodigy song....
Driving - Mighty 89 2.8td Rodeo
Towing - Aussie Jays Big Red (with her DMax http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=33442.0)

Offline xcvator

• 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
Not tellin ya, but I was tolled by my parents that I used to be carried in a hand made hammock strung between the back windows of an old wippet  :cheers:
spending the kids inheritance as fast as I can

tug 2018 Isuzu Mux LSU
1999 se diesel Jackaroo
July 10/2012  outback campers "Tanami"
New Age "Little Joey"

Offline speedcomm

• Soft Floor Camper User
Hmmm. I'm 36 too..
Been 4wdiing and camping since I got my license.

36 must be a lucky number ?
2.8L Prado. Jayco Eagle OB.

Offline Marcus73

• Hard Floor Camper User
Well I'm 40 as of last week :(  I lived in S.E South Australia ( Millicent ) until I was 12 so like Marschy many trips to Robe and the likes were had.
The first time I remember camping would have been when I was around 5 at the Grampians in Victoria. I still love that place and am looking forward to getting back there at some stage. Only a few trips were made in my teens until I got with swmbo 20yrs ago and with her being from Broken Hill, she too had many childhood camping memories. From there we started tent camping pretty much right up until we moved here ( Tas ) for some reason it then slowed for a few years but thankfully it's all go again now and I couldn't be happier.

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
lsnt 50 shadfes of grey a MySwag Catchup  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :cheers:
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline MarkUnit

• Sleeping Bag User
43. Have been camping since I was 5. Still remember trips to Bribie Island from back then. Have been 4wheeling for the last 20 years or so.

Offline Jason B

• "Mark Goldie recovery team coordinator"
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • 80 Series Turbo DX Cruiser, Kimberley Kamper 2013 SE
Any chance of getting a poll added to the top of this thread????.........Mods please!  ;D

Marschy

It'll have to be updated every year.

Offline GS

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • The hand the turns the doorknob, opens the door...
I'm 45

Started camping at 15 with sister and parents

Started 4x4 at 24

Few non camping periods in between with mates for boys trips.

Started 4x4 and camping again at 32 with wife Sam and have not stopped since.

Kids love it.

Main difference is the comfort levels. 4x4 and camper.

Offline kylarama

• Hard Top Camper User
Hmmm. I'm 36 too..

36 must be a lucky number ?

Another 36yo here too.

Offline Nay-DMAX

• Hard Top Camper User
32 for another 5 weeks or so  ;) Been camping pretty much all my life mostly on the Murray.  As for the 4wd Lino6 post above answers that his the other half. Before the Dmax which is my daily drive I had 1997 model Rodeo 4x4, would like to have more time for camping but any time out there is better than none. Cheers Renee

Offline gregw56

• Sleeping Bag User
56. can't remember first camping trip seems like i've been camping forever. cubs, scouts.cadets at school. dirt bikes,fishing ,shooting, first 4x4 was a fj40 in the 70s

Offline DaveCQ

• Tent User
  • Dave
38 and been camping/4wding as far back as I can remember. Grew up on Cattle Properties as the old man was a Station manager. It was a good life.

:cheers:
Dave.
Toyota D4D Prado 150
Trackabout Dakar Extenda -Sold
AOR Quantum Plus on order.

Offline Yoda42

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Beagle kisses don't grow hair
    • Travels With Beagles Blog
Mr Yoda 37, Mrs Yoda 42, Mr Yoda is a born and bred Territorian, has had a 1978 Suzuki Sierra when he was 12 and taught his nanna to drive,  ;D 1980 single cab Hilux, and a 1996 single cab Hilux.

Mrs Yoda had a 1992 Fourrunner that got foolishly rolled near Nhulunbuy :-[ and a 1996 Pajero.

Between the two of us, we've had a 2005 Navara and now a 2011 Grand Cherokee ;D

Oh, the camping bit. Mr Yoda grew up for a bit in Ladjamanu (middle of the middle of nowhere) so has camped since forever. Growing up in Brisbane with a family who didn't camp, Mrs Yoda's first experiences were school camps, and there just weren't enough of them. Together, most of our holidays have been camping ones, from tenting and then to the CT for a few more comforts  8)
« Last Edit: March 25, 2013, 09:37:35 PM by Yoda42 »
2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo, 2 beagles & an Lifestyle Reconn
http://travelswithbeagles.blogspot.com