Author Topic: Keeping campsites clean  (Read 7085 times)

Offline jimc1

• Tent User
Keeping campsites clean
« on: October 28, 2013, 01:29:30 PM »
Recently returned from a trip into Flinders/Gammon Ranges. We stopped at Chambers Gorge for 2 nights. Lovely place except for the goats and paper used to clean up after natures call.

The campsite my family used was strewn with at least 200+ meters of small clumps of paper that had obviously been used to clean up after nature calls, as along side was the evidence! Surely its not hard to dig a hole and dispose your mess and any paper thoughtfully. 

I spent about 4 hours cleaning up the majority of the mess and burning the rest.

Come on people, have some decency take a shovel and dig a hole!
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 03:06:42 PM by jimc1 »

Offline Beachman

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: Keeping campsites clean
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2013, 02:08:36 PM »
Totally agree about digging a hole to do your business in as it isn’t that hard. Apart from looking disgusting, last thing I want to do is step in some else’s sh#t.   >:(

Offline muzza01

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Y62 S5 Nissan Patrol and Tanami 13 Hybrid
    • Photobucket Muz
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2013, 04:39:18 PM »
Some people are lazy pigs. Kick a bit of dirt over their business and think that it's acceptable.

Offline letsgo

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Happy and safe travels, Chris & Kate
    • Let's Go Travel Australia
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2013, 05:10:19 PM »
It's not good enough to leave a mess like that.

After several different comments on a FaceBook group I am a member of I posted a question about camping etiquette and what would people like included/mention in a page I was doing on our travel site. The page/responses is here and it covers the topic of when nature calls. Feel free to share the page and spread the word :) maybe between all of us we can educate people who don't know or don't care what is appropriate behaviour.

2011 Holden Colorado Twin Cab Ute with Metalink canopy
2011 Ultra E Aussie Swag Camper Trailer
Let’s Go Travel Australia

Offline krisandkev

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2013, 05:14:06 PM »
Come on people, have some decency take a shovel and dig a hole!

Yep, we have all spoken about this problem numerous times before, but I think you are telling the wrong people what to do as I know MySwag members do the right thing.  Kevin
Kris and Kev
2008 TTD Landcruiser 200 GXL, Aust Off Road Camper, 20ft Bushtracker.

Offline RWS

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2013, 05:45:38 PM »
Digging a hole and burying is all well and good but also consider  where it is buried..for example digging a hole on beach fore-dune where erosion is highly likely is bad idea...all it takes is the next big storm to uncover it and you have the same senario as if somebody just crapped on the ground without covering it....actually the smell is worse .

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2013, 06:53:06 PM »
Like many others,.. nothing worse than turning up to a campsite that's unusable cause of broken bottles and stuff. I'm sure we would all like to ... cause they are

Its the price we all pay for becoming more and more popular.. more and more 's going remote..

but can you imagine some 's  of the light soy people packing up a portable after a morning   ???  Even if caught leaving their they wouldn't get the they deserve

I don't even having hiding out would

Imagine sittin round the and discussing it with said 's but making out you didn't know it was them ting everywhere.. the reply would be !  I'd say it wouldn't take much to start a bit of a

what the answer is, the only solution is charging us .. but sadly some people will never

anyway enough of my

-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline tweed prado

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2013, 07:16:56 PM »
It is sad that Australia is heading that way, some people just don,t care what they leave behind and who it affects. This didn,t happen when you could smack your kids for being naughty and you got the cane for playing up at school not getting the day off.
If it dosen,t improve we will all be camping at Big 4,s because the entire country will be locked upped tight. >:(

Offline rossbarb

• Tent User
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2013, 07:24:24 PM »
Hi Everyone,
I know everyone here would do the right thing, but,  just thought I would mention this tip so maybe you could pass it on. Lots of ladies are very embarrassed about the toilet paper thing. Nappy bags are great for putting toilet paper, other unmentionables etc. in tie the bag, it has a deodoriser in it then they can carry back to the fire or where ever to dispose of properly.
Also they make excellent rubbish bags for inside the car and lots of other uses.
We keep a bag of them in the car and the camper.
Hope this helps just one person
barb

Offline jimc1

• Tent User
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2013, 07:28:32 PM »
Was funny, even my 3 young kids were wondering why there was mess. They figured that if they could sh!t in a hole, anyone can!

So what to do about the mess, what is the best thing to do? Turn around and find another camp site, try to clean up the area by burning/burying what you can?

I think I found the happy medium of spending a some time cleaning up some of the mess and cursing the arseholes who made the mess in the first place!!

Offline Hairs

• Get outside every day, Miracles are waiting everywhere
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • A door can be a jar, but a jar can not be a door??
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2013, 07:32:47 PM »
Enjoyed reading that Lost,
Unfortunately we are
The uneducated dim wits will never get it

You don't use magic to disappear, all you need is a 4wd & a Swag ;)

Offline GanG

• Soft Floor Camper User
    • NEDSA
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2013, 08:33:29 PM »
Camped beside some dirty gosh darned bastards in the high country, melb cup weekend 2 years ago, they had a toddler in disposable nappies, we stayed another night after they left............guess where they left the nappies??

Stuffed down a gash darned  wombat hole behind their camp (right near the river)

Guess what we woke up to find...........old mate the wombat had done some some house keeping overnight!! what a putrid mess.
Light travels faster than sound............that's why some folks may appear bright until they speak

Offline Kit_e_kat9

• It's all about the Journey ...
  • Hard Top Camper User
    • The Lyons Den
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2013, 08:50:58 PM »
It's not good enough to leave a mess like that.

After several different comments on a FaceBook group I am a member of I posted a question about camping etiquette and what would people like included/mention in a page I was doing on our travel site. The page/responses is here and it covers the topic of when nature calls. Feel free to share the page and spread the word :) maybe between all of us we can educate people who don't know or don't care what is appropriate behaviour.

Starting reading this and thought of your list ... seems you beat me here! 

Kit-e
2010 Hilux SR5 & 2010 Aussie Swag Rover LX
My Blog

Offline _Gecko_

• Tent User
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2013, 08:54:00 PM »
It was like that in tassie too.
We found so many hidden away locations (in alot of no free camping region i might add :P ) pointed out to us by friendly locals.
some others came down to have a go at us, but once they saw they cleaning we did/were doing they didnt mind at all.
One place we got 2 and a half rubbish bags  full of used paper, so sick of how people treat this country of ours.
I dont want to spend the first hour or two cleaning up Shit before i set up.
Like the two iraqi fellows i scruffed up for taking a dump behind a tree between our camp sites, mind you after a good talking to they actually went the next day and got a folding camp shovel.... even came over to show us hahaha.

I find it is the wanna be camper folk, the city/dont know better and the 'in from overseas ' fruit picking public that are really doing the damage.
Thats what we have found being on the road since feb covering 4 states so far...
Gecko
*XF Panelvan, Home Built Trailer, a Tent and my Girl. Living on the road since Feb 2013. So far we have driven Tas/Vic/Nsw, done over 10 000km's and counting.

Offline _Gecko_

• Tent User
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2013, 08:56:48 PM »
oh and dont get me started on the bunch of campers, rather rowdy and loud which i dont really mind, what pissed me off was every bottle and dirty nappy was taken 3 steps out of the camp ring and thrown like a grenade into the bush.
I was out numbered there and they didnt seem like the friendly hav-a-chat kinda people...
Gecko
*XF Panelvan, Home Built Trailer, a Tent and my Girl. Living on the road since Feb 2013. So far we have driven Tas/Vic/Nsw, done over 10 000km's and counting.

Offline Burnsy

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2013, 11:33:45 PM »
The fact that someone feels the need to create a webpage like this really says something about the types of tools who find their way out of the city these days.
http://wa4wd.net.au/ShitTING%20IN%20THE%20BUSH.htm

2016 GXL 200 Series Cruiser and Modified 2001 TL8 Camprite

Offline Murph

• Tent User
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2013, 01:36:52 PM »
Oh this is my pet hate !!! What are we breeding these days? I see it more and more this filthy  behaviour !
Was it like this when I was much younger? Or am I just becoming a grumpy old fart? 
Is it because the outdoors is being utilised more and more by the great unwashed?
I see so many young family's so eager to have time together but because of work they are time poor and try to cram so much into so few hours on a weekend that normal behaviour is forgotten ! Surly this is the reason all facets of civilisation  are forgotten ? They wouldn't throw garbage all over their gardens ? Surly ! They wouldn't use their gardens for ablution episodes? Ect!
I too am getting tired of having to clean up before I camp and I do the same before I leave .
One recent clean up I was doing before I left a site  their was one camp left and anything like the snide comments that was directed at me as I went around collecting rubbish , as someone said I'm getting on in years now and I just kept my head down and did my thing .  I returned weeks later and went and had a look at that camp where the heroes were camped to see if my cleaning up had pricked their consciences ? Ha ha no way the anal orifices had left a mess! So I just do as I would like it to be ,   

Offline woolgoolgaoffroad

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Hardfloor
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2013, 03:30:17 PM »
Disgusting

This pic was put onto social media that they found up on Frasier just last weekend. Toilet paper fresh, used and catching the breeze.  Unfortunately either done by backpackers or 4wders.
I mean- come on

Kev

http://woolgoolgaoffroad.blogspot.com.au
Landcruiser + Ultra Breakaway

Offline krisandkev

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2013, 03:57:09 PM »
One of the problems on Fraser is that the dingoes will did the stuff up if it is not buried deep enough. (Sort of like politicians  ;D) Looking at the photo this seems to be what has happened, not saying people do not do the right thing over there.  But I also recall people on social media complaining about the mess on the beach over there, this being just after the big floods back in 2011!  Obviously they did not see the amount of debris coming out from the floods that subsequently were getting washed up on the beach.
But the grubs that do rubbish our country will be hard to shame and change. They just do not think like you and me.  :angel: Kevin
Kris and Kev

Offline woolgoolgaoffroad

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Hardfloor
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2013, 04:17:16 PM »
One of the problems on Fraser is that the dingoes will did the stuff up if it is not buried deep enough. (Sort of like politicians  ;D) Looking at the photo this seems to be what has happened, not saying people do not do the right thing over there.  But I also recall people on social media complaining about the mess on the beach over there, this being just after the big floods back in 2011!  Obviously they did not see the amount of debris coming out from the floods that subsequently were getting washed up on the beach.
But the grubs that do rubbish our country will be hard to shame and change. They just do not think like you and me.  :angel: Kevin

you could and probably be onto something there kev.....
Kev

http://woolgoolgaoffroad.blogspot.com.au
Landcruiser + Ultra Breakaway

BernieS

« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2013, 05:53:56 PM »
This sort of thing really annoys me. I spent some time at our last camp site cleaning up cig butts. Really, people need to take their filthy butts with them as well.

Offline Redcherokee

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #21 on: October 29, 2013, 06:44:52 PM »
Coward Springs has a great sign in one of the loos. "How to s$!t in the bush".  Clear instructions about burning paper and how deep to bury etc. 

I thought it was a great sign, because the new campers who stop there just might learn something.  After all, new campers have to learn somehow.  Not everyone gets taught by their parents.

Jeep Rubicon SWB 2013. Outback Campers Sturt 2011
4.2L Patrol and Billabong Grove 16 hard roofed camper.

Offline duggie

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Dont you just love it.
« Reply #22 on: October 29, 2013, 07:20:54 PM »
It is not just the camping peoples who can't bury there Sh!#, try going into a grey nomad camping area after they have moved on,     Sh!# and dunny paper everywhere as well as sewage from chemical toilets.  If the older generation can't set a good standered how in the bloody hell are the young ones coming on going to learn.

Gives me the Sh!#s.
" Old Nissans Just Keep On Truckin On "

Offline krisandkev

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #23 on: October 29, 2013, 07:59:34 PM »
So you are saying it is those dam grey nomads making all of the mess?  Well there you go; in all of my years of travel I must have missed that one.  Dam grey nomads, get them off the road.  >:D  Kevin
Kris and Kev

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #24 on: October 29, 2013, 08:03:26 PM »
Quote from: krisandkev
Dam grey nomads, get them off the road.  >:D  Kevin
YAY!!!  :cup: :cup: :cup: :cup: :cup: :cup: :cup:
-
Click to enlarge