Author Topic: Membership goin crazy.....  (Read 27184 times)

pacs

Re: Membership goin crazy.....
« Reply #50 on: June 28, 2011, 09:43:54 PM »
As others have said it's great to see the site growing with so many great people all willing to help each other with projects and so forth and to have a joke and enjoy reading others travel stories and experiances In this great country we call home

The only thing that does come to mind is can the current hosting service/plan cover the site for the future growth before membership becomes a fee based system.. Has there been thought put towards some of the companies that use the site for advertisements which promote products and gain new clientel through the sites members sponsoring the funding of such a great community to help firm up it's future... Just my 2bobs worth myswag is  :cup:  and I'm sure we all want it to continue to be  :cheers:

Offline Kman

• Swag User
    • Camper Trailer Rental
« Reply #51 on: June 28, 2011, 09:49:32 PM »
The increased membership is probably why I've had about 50 of these tonight..the server is probably having a heart attack.

Connection Problems
Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

Anyone else gettin em

Yep quite a few times now, has just come good in last 5 mins though
Complete Campsite Nomad and Mitsi Triton

Offline dno

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Welcome to gods country
« Reply #52 on: June 28, 2011, 09:50:28 PM »

Connection Problems
Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

Anyone else gettin em
Yer and slow USB modam as well >:(
"The first half of our lives are ruined by our parents  and the second half by our children."

Clarence Day

http://www.youtube.com/user/67dno/videos

Offline Brett

• Administrator
  • Hard Top Camper User
    • MySwag.org - The Off-road Camper Trailer forum
« Reply #53 on: June 29, 2011, 01:03:19 PM »
I wouldn't take that number as true. With the way we approve members now trying to keep out the spam still allows them to register but then we reject them.

Most likely 1000 of them were spam accounts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cheers
Brett

Offline Robbo

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Put another banger on the barbie
« Reply #54 on: June 29, 2011, 06:03:52 PM »
The increased membership is probably why I've had about 50 of these tonight..the server is probably having a heart attack.

Connection Problems

Anyone else gettin em

Yep, been getting this quite often lately. Usually around 6pm thru to 8pm. Must be the busy time of an evening.
Not a problem though, i just log back on a little later.

Robbo

Offline Sullyman

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #55 on: June 29, 2011, 07:58:29 PM »
As a newish member with only a few posts and no camper yet (boo hoo, but need to find some spare cash) I can say that this site is an excellent place to do a lot of research, add to the ever growing list of must haves (or wants), and is a great advertisement for local manufacturers as there is some awesome feedback on real experiences from owners of a wide variety of trailers.

And don't get me started about what sort of new tug to buy to pull my new camper around - I'm suffering from data overload already.........

Offline BigJules

• Administrator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Just Cruisin' - I wish...
    • I'm so much cooler online :D
« Reply #56 on: June 29, 2011, 11:47:07 PM »
I was challenged by this discussion to have an in depth look at the membership, so I just worked through the last 5000 members and deleted the spammers that had gotten through and a few dodgy looking accounts. There was probably less than 200 in 5000, and it only took about 6 hours. Plus I stuffed up and approved about 70 spam accounts by mistake  >:D that I had to delete.

I did look at the accounts of a lot of members with zero posts, and was astounded to see the amount of time some have spent online, without posting. Hours and days, clearly reading up on what their options are and where they can go.

Don't be afraid folks, walk on in and share your plans and ambitions.
Julian
Land Cruiser V8 + Trackabout Safari SV Extenda
MySwag Gallery, Photobucket
Sydney Agent for www.trackabout.com.au
Mallee Gear - Tough as nails

Offline singo-26

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Gone bush permanently!
« Reply #57 on: June 30, 2011, 12:13:48 AM »

Don't even let the fact that you dont own a camper or an off road camper stop you from contributing.The size, style or $ value of the camper you own (or don't own) does not make your contribution and experiences any less valid.
Steve

2001 HZJ105 and a custom rearfold softfloor.

Offline AussieBob

• Tent User
« Reply #58 on: June 30, 2011, 05:40:03 AM »
There was probably less than 200 in 5000, and it only took about 6 hours.
BigJules,..you have to get a life!!..spending 6 hours....you are getting as bad as the rest of us old farts!! ;D ;D
Bob
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 05:48:32 AM by AussieBob »

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #59 on: June 30, 2011, 09:04:28 AM »
Quote from: bigjules
I did look at the accounts of a lot of members with zero posts, and was astounded to see the amount of time some have spent online, without posting. Hours and days, clearly reading up on what their options are and where they can go.

one of the blokes in my club spends days on here lookin at info for his trailer buildup, but says its great that you dont need to register to get the info like many forums...

Come on Luke, dont be afraid to talk :p
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline cruisindub

• Volksing Matilda. We Love Our Matilda.
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #60 on: June 30, 2011, 07:34:09 PM »
Not a 'Camper 'trailer' owner but a 'camper' owner, I have found the site invaluable in getting info on set up and more. Have asked a few questions, read a LOT, and enjoyed every minute.
Have stopped visting other sites as a free member and go direct to myswag.org
looking forward to meeting some members and making friends, once we have an opportunity to travel a bit more back home.

At the moment, in the Tatras High Mountains in Slovakia, freezing my ass off in the iddle of summer with 12 Deg C, dense clouds and no visibility, our old VW camper is rocking!! Albeit quite slowly, 60km/h sometimes second gear 40km/h up these steep hills and sometimes faster downhill than I can get her wound up under full throttle. max 80-90km/h.

Even on holidays I still frequent myswag.org

Cheers all,
Cruisindub
Why do people ask "What the hell were you thinking?"
Obviously I was thinking I was going to get away with it and not have to explain it....

Offline lockyer

• Swag User
« Reply #61 on: July 01, 2011, 12:10:31 PM »
An Intruder Newsman? Look at my Sig Pic  ;D
One of the things I like about this site...a love of camping qualifies you, everything else is secondary :)

Well I fall into the same boat...I have an on-road cub I just finished adding mods to (for the second time) and a ford courier ute (2wd) - I have found so much info on this site, it's incredible and I tried to add my thoughts where possible, like today I'm studying up on solar and had a question, but it was asked in the last day or two ( how to tell if your solar panel wattage in what the sticker says) and after reading went out and tested mine..

Some months ago I searched the net for "on-road" camper trailer forums and nothing came up but found this forum and have stayed since, only on Saturday just gone while parked with the cub hooked up behind a shopping centre in Murwillumbah a guy walked up and asked if I knew somewhere he could buy a S/H cub camper from so I told him to get onto here "myswag.org" and check the for sale section out.

Offline Symon

• Big sparks r us
  • Electrimagician
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • www.phased.com.au
    • Web Server in a Box Project
« Reply #62 on: July 02, 2011, 04:09:23 PM »
The number of members isn't really a reflection of how popular a forum is.  Look at the 'page views' statistic, as this includes the guests who read the public forums.

This forum is very popular, and it shows in the number of times it is linked to from other forums.  I am a member of at least a dozen other forums, and I am constantly amazed at how often myswag comes up in other places.
Do not PM me for technical advice - start a thread.
HDJ79 Ute - 100 Series Sahara - 2002 Kimberley Kamper - No ATS yet - Survivor of 5 McGirr trips-Cape 09,11,12,14 & Gulf 13

Offline GGV8Cruza

• The Cable Guy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • If 1 turbo is good, 2 must be better. VK3GJG
« Reply #63 on: November 27, 2015, 04:57:21 PM »
19000 members and still growing

GG

KingBilly

« Reply #64 on: November 27, 2015, 05:48:51 PM »
Well done myswag.  And thanks again to mod/admin team for all the hard work  :cup:  You guys rock  :cup:

KB

scarpsD40

Membership goin crazy.....
« Reply #65 on: November 27, 2015, 05:52:18 PM »
Well done myswag.  And thanks again to mod/admin team for all the hard work  :cup:  You guys rock  :cup:

KB
agree, and all the quality regulars too, without whom the place might be a little quiet;D

KingBilly

« Reply #66 on: November 27, 2015, 05:55:01 PM »
agree, and all the quality regulars too, without whom the place might be a little quiet;D

Gee, shucks mate, I luv ya too  :cup:

KB

scarpsD40

« Reply #67 on: November 27, 2015, 06:24:56 PM »

Gee, shucks mate, I luv ya too  :cup:

KB
now don't go getting all soft and snuggly on us kb.

Offline oldmate

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #68 on: November 27, 2015, 07:08:05 PM »
Yep agree with both of you, god dam group hugs.
Our Blog. A work in progress
https://www.facebook.com/UltimateAdventuresBlog/
The following users thanked this post: Gandalf the White

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #69 on: November 27, 2015, 07:17:49 PM »
Quote from: GGV8Cruza

When you going to clean out all the inactive for 12months or more ones?

it also free's up some good names for new members.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline r2d2

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #70 on: November 27, 2015, 08:11:09 PM »

GG
Wow that's huge

Offline Black Diamond

• "IF IT HAS TITS OR WHEELS IT WILL GIVE YOU TROUBLE........"
  • 2017 National Meet Volunteer
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Cruisin through Life in the 80.......
« Reply #71 on: November 27, 2015, 08:30:20 PM »
Come a long way that's for sure. A lot of us spend a fair bit of time on here, makes you wonder what you would do in your spare time if MYSWAG wasn't around, go camping maybe?? ;D
1996 80 series Cruiser
2005 Coota Camper - The legend lives on.....

Offline McGirr

• Cape York Tour Guide
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Living the good life
« Reply #72 on: November 27, 2015, 08:38:33 PM »
As mentioned it's great to see the growth over the years. Being member no 370 who would have thought it would continue to grow to the size it is today. Personally I have met people, who today,  are very good friends through the trips I have arranged. A great mix of people from all walks of life with the same passion. The knowledge, ideas, trip reports and the spirit is what makes this forum the best.

Well done to all the hard work done from the admins  :cup:

Mark
Living the dream working our way around Australia.

Ernabella SA, Warburton WA, Mt Barnett Roadhouse in the Kimberley, Peppimenarti NT, Ramingining NT, Gapuwiyak NT, Gunbalanya NT, Bidyadanga WA, Ali Curung NT, Tjuntjuntjara WA. 18 places

https://www.facebook.com/Working-and-Traveling-Australia
The following users thanked this post: duggie

Offline DannyG

• Hard Top Camper User
  • The best way to predict the future is to create it
    • Oz Isuzu Forum
« Reply #73 on: November 27, 2015, 08:52:27 PM »

KB

As if you would know how much work is involved in keeping the place running on the straight and narrow ;)
Not a virus, not a re-install, not a format, not an issue since 2011..once you go mac you never go back

Oz Isuzu Forums
My Trailer Build

Offline BaseCamp

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Shake & Bake BB!
« Reply #74 on: November 27, 2015, 09:29:05 PM »
A newbe's observations about why this place is so successful. ... (AKA so many active members; and growing sign-ons...)...

1.   Heaps of good and friendly advice .....

2.  No banners and wonton advertising; --- (think the demise of the 4wdaction forum in juxtaposition)...

3.  Genuine sense of community and camaraderie...

WHAT HAS THE POTENTIAL TO BIN THIS FORUM... per the way of the former mentioned....

1.  Unwelcome and unsolicited; or otherwise rude and condescending; "happy brotherly banter"  from:  ---  (as seen by I would suggest is the majority of members) ... as troll anonymous; and sometimes condescending and egocentric wishful thugary from a certain manority; narcissisticly compensating these particular individuals for 'god knows what'........ ...

2.  SITE OWNERS... Re-read some of the comments from the recent thread on so-called  "electronic rust protection systems" -- AND PROTECT YOUR BRAND ....  please...  :)   

Shake&Bake BB

You get out and in to the world -- you take more @#&$. …You climb a little higher, ..you take less @#&$.  …Till one day -- you're up in the rarefied atmosphere -- and you've forgotten what @#&$ even looks like….  Welcome to the layer cake son.