Author Topic: Ex Military and Nashos  (Read 36700 times)

Offline Muso

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • The beatings will stop when morale improves
Ex Military and Nashos
« on: February 05, 2011, 04:55:07 PM »
I'm interested to hear if there are any ex military members here.

Personally, I was called up July '69 (11 days before Armstrong walked on the moon). Did my rookies at Puckapunyal Victoria and then Infantry training at Singleton NSW and finally posted to 9 RAR at Enoggera Brisbane.

what about cha!!!
Cheers Glenn

Offline Alloy C/T

• Tent User
Re: Ex Military and Nashos
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2011, 05:10:58 PM »
Kapooka June79 [was allready older than the platoon Sgt]  ,Bandianna ,  then 32 sup , then 31 sup, then Bandianna  , then Canungra , then 11 sup . 6yrs was enough.

Offline muntersdad

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2011, 05:12:45 PM »
Hi Muso,
I was also called up actually in the next intake Oct'69, Puckapunyal, Singleton, Ingleburn, then Vietnam as an Infantry Sig.
And I still love camping out in the bush.
cheers, Muntersdad.
2011 Landcruiser Altitude

Offline Pete the Pirate

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2011, 05:43:45 PM »
Not Army but I proudly wore a Navy uniform for 32 years from Anzac Day 1971 until I paid off in March 2003.  Didn't entirely break the umbilical cord though as I have continued to work for the Navy since then as a civilian.
Kanga Big Red DL Campertrailer
Nissan Navara D40 with lots of fruit

Offline kranky al

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • theeee winaaaaaaar
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2011, 07:44:56 PM »
Cadets 1982-1986
16 R.W.A.R 1986-1988
1 R.A.R 1988 - 1993 

that was enough - funny though when i look back i only remember the good times - really enjoyed the good times - wasnt so rapt in the not so good times

i remember doing my last duties week and thinking i will never have to do guard again.

the army would be great without some of the military morons who are in charge of it - i was lucky enough to be part of an awesome platoon for 3 years - after i got shipped off to mortar platoon against my will i got out.

still sort of miss it though

if nissan made a prop plane using the zd30 - would you fly in it?

if fishing were easy it would be called "your mum"

www.pixelpac.com.au

Offline barnray

• "The Road to my Horizon"
  • Soft Floor Camper User
  • The Start Of My Trailer
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2011, 07:49:42 PM »
I joined back in 1972, went to Kapooka and then Bandiana. After trade training went on to 2 Base and SME. I had 2 years at Qantas as an apprentice before that. Wish I was still at Qaintass. Barnray

Offline Fivid

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2011, 08:18:38 PM »
Army apprentice school at Balcombe 1982 then it moved to Latchford Barracks at Bonegilla in 83. SME 84,85.  Posted to 21 Const at Puckapunyal 86 to 88 then to Mendi PNG 89, 90 as cpl followed by a year and a half in Canberra at Duntroon in sgt position before I got out in Jul 92.  Some good times, some not so fun but never regretted leaving. 
 :cheers:
Dave
http://www.trailtrack4x4.com/

Offline Grungle

• Tent User
  • Itchin to hitch
    • Grungles Homepage
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2011, 08:34:32 PM »
Army Apprentices School 1990 & 1991 (45th intake @ Latchford Barracks - Bonegilla) then got into Aviation. Spent 6 years in Oakey in various postings (saw many name changes) then got a posting to 161 Recce Sqn in Darwin. Only did 10 years but they were some of the best years of my life.

Regards
David
2014 200 Series Landcruiser GXL 4.5L V8 TTD with some fruit.

1999 GU Patrol 4.2TD conversion (was a 2.8TDI) thats been tickled with a few goodies.

My website -> http://www.grungle.com

Offline rescue1

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • D40 Navara [HIS] T31 X-Trail [HERS]
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2011, 08:40:33 PM »
Cadets 1972-1977 Sydney University Regiment 1977-1981  .... (1981-2008)

I got to visit a lot of not very nice places that I can't tell you about before the knees and hips gave out.

Now work as a defence contractor currently in South Africa (back home in 2 weeks)

SWMBO is very happy that at long last she knows what continent country and city I'm in and chances are I'm not being shot at. Don't relly miss leaving as most of my mates got out around the time I did so the whole place changed - now there's a bunch of fresh faced newbies that think they know everything, they'll be like me and spend the next 20-30 years working out they didn't.

Offline gonfishen

• Tent User
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2011, 08:42:18 PM »
Joined in 77 9yrs in 1st Armd Regt and 1 year in 10th Light Horse, yes there were good times and yes there were bad times but i have mates for life, we still keep in contact, and i still belong to the 1AR association and attend Regimental dinners.

Simon
There is no problem that cannot be solved by the use of high explosives.

Offline ozynorts

• Swag User
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2011, 08:54:30 PM »
88 til 99. kapooka, singleton, holsworthy and mosman (syd). good times for sure. was very lucky that i didn't have to go into any hot zones. all my mates have been to some nasty places in the last few years.
Ezytrail behind Colorado 7 LTZ

Offline stevo

• I used to have a handle on life........but it broke
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2011, 09:33:15 PM »
Nasho. Drafted 72. Was the last intake before Gough pulled the plug. Rookies and corps training at Pucka and posted to Kapooka in transport. Great times and met the missus there. Wish I had been able to keep in touch with some of the blokes I met.
Isuzu MU-X Coronet caravan
The hearse does not stop at the bank on the way to the cemetery.

crackacoldie

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2011, 10:38:35 PM »
Reservist from 1991 - 2000 in RAEME as a Recovery Mechanic, posted to 8 TPT SQN workshop then to 107 Field Workshop.  Completed my trade training in Bandiana and the Yack state forrests.

:cheers: Cracka

Offline Muso

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2011, 04:38:31 AM »
Nasho. Drafted 72. Was the last intake before Gough pulled the plug. Rookies and corps training at Pucka and posted to Kapooka in transport. Great times and met the missus there. Wish I had been able to keep in touch with some of the blokes I met.

Yeah Stevo, I know what you mean. Finally met up (and marched on  Anzac day) with some mates from 9 RAR after 40 years.
Cheers Glenn

Offline tonyw

• Tent User
    • Tonys Travel Blogs
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2011, 07:25:22 AM »
Regs in 1972 went in in May just after my 17th birthday and a lovely winter was had at Kapooka. From Kapooka to Pucka to do my driver training and from there to a field force transport platoon in Ingleburn, then to Singleton driving the Grunts around then back to Kapooka. Onto New Guinea where we lived in the Jungle patrolling the Madang district around Bogia, some of the hairiest driving in my life was had travelling south through those mountains with the rear wheels of the F1 actually going over the edge of a big drop as you went around the bends on the slippery little track with no room to move. Home to aussie and boredom snuck in so requested my discharge because Gough said i could. Moved back into civvy street and am still involved in transport today.

Offline Bill

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2011, 07:36:55 AM »
US Army 1985- 1988
US Army Reserve 1988- 1991
Spent my time in Germany guarding the East/West border when the wall was still up...
Bill
"The problem with the world is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?"
-unknown

Offline Baz

• Tent User
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2011, 09:58:25 AM »
British army 1982 -2006 (Infantry)

Lots of time in Northern Ireland (Sneaking around at night)
The normal Kosovo, Bosnia and several times back an fro from Iraq.

Miss it lots, but not the sands.

Baz

Offline swamprat

• Swag User
  • Just moved up to a Jayco Sprite. Can I stay??
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2011, 10:26:15 AM »
Didn't get called up so joined RAAF in '70. Trained as an aircraft engine fitter, then flight crew as a Flight Engineer on Orion Maritime Patrol aircraft until '86. Then TAA/ Australian Airlines/Qantas until '98.
Loved time in military but realised after 16 years it's a young mans sport. There are still guys still in from when I left in '86believe it or not.
I was prepared to go to Vietnam but Gough sorted that out pretty soon after I joined. I've become a bit of a pacifist lately as I see what is happening in the world and as I get older!!
Have done mostly contract work in the aviation industry since '98 both here and overseas just to keep involved in a pretty interesting industry.
I'm not lost, I'm here!

Offline terravista

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2011, 11:19:08 AM »
Army Apprentices School '68, 21 Const Puckapunyal for 7 years (up the old red rooster), 17 Construction Sydney (the little bear will fix it) for a year, then out.
Never could get over being told how to do something by idiots that didn't know, and who only spent 12 months becoming officers and learning which knife and fork to eat with.

Offline Muso

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2011, 01:27:15 PM »
Didn't get called up so joined RAAF in '70. Trained as an aircraft engine fitter, then flight crew as a Flight Engineer on Orion Maritime Patrol aircraft until '86. Then TAA/ Australian Airlines/Qantas until '98.

My sister and brother in law were in the RAAF. He was Sgt air-frame fitter on the PC3 with 481 sqn. here in Adelaide then moved to Richmond around '69, çause I remember going at to the airbase one weekend to check out the F111's he was working on. But I fell in love with the old Sabre's that were there.
Cheers Glenn

Offline rosgeog

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2011, 01:48:56 PM »
Hey Swamprat when in '70 did you join up. I started in Jan '70 at Edinburgh. Trained as Instrument fitter and was in 5 Sqn doing cross-training when they pulled the plug on Vietnam. Went through Tracey in Darwin then spent my last year in Canberra with 34 Sqn. Now living in Alice and spending as much time out bush as we can.
Ross

Offline swamprat

• Swag User
  • Just moved up to a Jayco Sprite. Can I stay??
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2011, 02:58:15 PM »
Joined in September '70. Worked over Xmas at Edinburgh during Tracy then went up to Darwin to take the Dak out of the co's lounge room. Had to cut the wings off!!
I'm not lost, I'm here!

Offline Isuzumu

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Isuzu MU
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2011, 04:38:04 PM »
Joined 21st March 72, four days after turning 17, TonyW we probably crossed paths, I was in 24th Platoon. Was in RAASC then of course RACT did my driver training at 9 Tpt Sqn in Townsville, most of our instructors were Nashos what a ball we had. We had to drive to Cape York and back before being isused with our T109, I drove one of the six wheel drive Internationals across the Jardine only one as we had drowned three Land Drovers first, hahahahaha
Got lucky and was posted to DSU in Rocky (home) for three years then my last three years in Darwin. Loved it, but being in when the Nashos finished did not help in any promotions.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 04:41:33 PM by Isuzumu »
Cheers Bruce
2012 Isuzu D.Max
1994 Isuzu Mu
2011 Jayco 17.55 Outback with Cruisemaster Independent Air Suspension
Off road trailer full of camping gear.

HF Radio Club  Sel Call 1955

Offline tonyw

• Tent User
    • Tonys Travel Blogs
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2011, 06:13:17 PM »
Joined 21st March 72, four days after turning 17, TonyW we probably crossed paths, I was in 24th Platoon. Was in RAASC then of course RACT did my driver training at 9 Tpt Sqn in Townsville, most of our instructors were Nashos what a ball we had. We had to drive to Cape York and back before being isused with our T109, I drove one of the six wheel drive Internationals across the Jardine only one as we had drowned three Land Drovers first, hahahahaha
Got lucky and was posted to DSU in Rocky (home) for three years then my last three years in Darwin. Loved it, but being in when the Nashos finished did not help in any promotions.

I was in 6 platoon  at 1 RTB we had to wait a few weeks to get up to strength to start training, probably June 72, a platoon of Regs and Nashos being trained by Vietnam vets. Next off to Pucka where again we had to wait for a march out before we could start, but in this time we got to play the enemy in war games that went on for 3 weeks. I got to get an intermediate truck licence after 3 weeks so didnt have to do a driving test at the end. After that there were different driving courses advanced etc and then off to New Guinea to live in the jungle for awhile. The Bismark sea was very beautiful and we swam amongst sharks and crocs but it didnt seem to bother anyone. Trips up the Sepik in Lakatois were common and driving beat up PIR landys when you got up the river was always fun (not). Went back to 1RTB as a driver for a bit doing my share of Ass and trash Ambulance and Firetruck, then back to Sydney. I remember changing from RAASC to RACT. Seems like only yesterday but i have done so much  since  :cheers:

Offline Isuzumu

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Isuzu MU
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2011, 06:25:04 PM »
I was in 6 platoon  at 1 RTB we had to wait a few weeks to get up to strength to start training, probably June 72, a platoon of Regs and Nashos being trained by Vietnam vets

We had the same problem, spent 3 weeks living in Silver City before they could muster up a platoon.
Cheers Bruce
2012 Isuzu D.Max
1994 Isuzu Mu
2011 Jayco 17.55 Outback with Cruisemaster Independent Air Suspension
Off road trailer full of camping gear.

HF Radio Club  Sel Call 1955