Author Topic: Four wheels move the body, but two wheels move the soul  (Read 33087 times)

Offline DANBRI

• "Canvas Undies Never Die"
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • www.campingaustralia.org
Four wheels move the body, but two wheels move the soul
« on: July 28, 2010, 07:16:10 PM »
Hello folks,

I've spent a fair amount of my past riding dinkies (dirtbikes) and after a bit of a break (since 2006) I've just picked up another ride - besides the mighty postie that is...

I am interested to know who else rides and what's your flavour?

Dan

Offline 4wd26

• Soft Floor Camper User
Re: Four wheels move the body, but two wheels move the soul
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2010, 07:24:44 PM »

Don't get to ride as often as I used too.
family and camping does that, but I'll never sell.  Was my dream bike for so long.
'08 Mitsubishi Triton GLX/R Diesel Auto, with offroad accessories.
Windsor Rapid 472s Offroad
Not your usual camper trailer
Getting Out There<- BLOG

Offline baldheadedgit

• Hard Top Camper User
  • your shout.?.. I'll ave Arf.......!
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2010, 07:25:47 PM »
It would need training wheels for me.!  lol :laugh:

Poverty Pack.!

Offline NewcastleKnight

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2010, 07:27:56 PM »
I have a Vespa that I used to ride to work.  These days I ride it on weekends etc, it is great to ride in summer I often go for a ride around the beach.

It's relaxing and helps me unwind, one day I might buy a bigger bike to cruse on but for now I enjoy the Vespa.

Offline DANBRI

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2010, 07:31:45 PM »
Vespa! I didn't see that coming Marc! They're good fun (without the speed issues)

Offline TRUPM

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2010, 07:45:24 PM »
I sold my last bike when our first child was born. It was an XR250. Always been into dirtbikes growing up. I now have an KLR650 sitting in the shed, which is my brothers as he is backpacking through sth america and europe for two years.
Holden Rodeo 3.0 TDi work/play ute with Coolabah Camper

Offline Duchess

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • "Its not as hard as you think, you know."
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2010, 07:50:44 PM »
I have a 1998 Ducati 900SS.

This is "Desdemona". She's been in the family for about 10 years now. First purchased by my husband as a bit of a reward to himself for making Turbine pilot in the time frame he'd given himself. It was also a childhood dream I think for him.

Before his accident, we were discussing getting me a bigger bike (than the 125cc scooter I also have, I'll show it in a moment.) so we could do some touring together. It was a bit hard for him trying to stay with me when we rode out together and the scooters tiny wheels just are not really suitable for long distance riding out here.

After the accident, I was thinking about how I should upgrade my motorbike licence (as I was under the impression that I was only able to ride 125cc but that was not the case as it turned out.) and what I should ride to do that. Taking one look at the bike parked under the house made me realise that I was probably more than capable of riding it. So, a close friend (who has an ST4) took me out to the airport on the Duke and got me going. I was soon racing up and down the strip no problems I can tell you!!

Since then, I've been on a National Ducati rally to Bathurst, that was just pure awesome riding around Mt Panorama I can tell you! I've ridden out with the local Harley guys, they don't mind a chick riding a sports bike and can at least appreciate fine engineering! I've fixed the leaking fuel tank that had been bodgyed up by Mark previously! I only had some help with that job in the form of muscle, everything else I did! Had a new clutch installed that just made a huge difference to my riding and had a faulty thermocouple fixed that was stalling the bike when up at temp.

We originally purchased this bike from Ducati Noosa, it was second hand with only about 30 thousand kays on it. It now just has over 70 thousand. I always take the bike back to them for servicing as they have always looked after us and the bike and now that they know about Mark, I am convinced that I am getting very well cared for, me and my bike.

I don't think I will ever get rid of the Duke. It has too many memories as what it meant to Mark and I've now had a whole new set of my own created by her. Also, seeing as they don't make the Supersport any longer, her value will only increase over time.

Whilst not the most perfect example out there, she sports some battle wounds that were done in low speed gravel loses done by Mark around work (he didn't ride it out there unless he really had too.) though I suspect some were not just low speed, she has been a reliable machine that you can just jump on and ride. Hence why Mark went with the newer electronic ignition and fuel injected bike as he didn't want to be fixing it all the time before he went out for a ride! He just wanted to be able to get on and ride!

I swear...there truly is nothing like cornering on this machine. While it just hums along on the straights, when you get to the twisty bits, you just relax into the awesomeness that is this machine going from corner to corner. I sure haven't had it over as far as some would, I'm still learning that skill, but what I have done is just a fantastic feeling.

Totally agree, Dan, two wheels do move the soul...

After all that...I'll show the other ride later... ;D

"I've got one job on this ship. It's stupid but I'm going to do it!"

www.duchessandthedukeontour.blogspot.com.au

Offline Dion

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2010, 08:20:48 PM »

Giant XTC 29er.  Awesome bike.  :laugh:
2017 Y62 Patrol
2009 Lifestyle Extenda

Offline rossow

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2010, 08:25:15 PM »
My 2nd Bike (first was a virago - before we got a digital camera!)

Its an Suzuki, SV 650
Then my wife took that one for herself, so I bought this one; XR400 (I did a bit of engine work on this one till it got stolen  >:D )

Offline Jon

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Bringing rain to every campsite
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2010, 08:28:43 PM »
Kawasaki GPZ900r. 85A2 model.
For the uninitiated it is the same bike Tom Cruise road in Top Gun :cup:

Bought from a mate for $200. Currently owes me about another $400 in bits and pieces and about 500 hours of Amber fluid lubricated tinkering ;D
All done for the love of course.

Just re-did  the head -Valves, seals and springs. Cams and fllowers all ok. About to reassemble the engine and test run. Rudely interupted by camper mods >:( ;D

Just passed NSW MOST on Friday just gone. Only 359 days until I can ride it.
I got a sweater for Xmas, really wanted a moaner or screamer.

Offline DANBRI

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2010, 08:40:59 PM »
I expected more dinkies!

I'm not a 4stroke person, I've never been quick on one - I love 2 strokes but KTM 2 strokes are hard to find. So I settled on 450 that came along. They're okay - pretty usable power in comparison to the 525 etc.

A bit of my past: If only I knew how to take a photo back then - still learning!  ;D
http://www.dirtbikeworld.net/Reviews/Sherco_06/Sherco_2006_review.htm
http://www.dirtbikeworld.net/Reviews/GasGas/fse450/fse450_text.html
http://www.dirtbikeworld.net/Reviews/GasGas/2005_EC_250_300/05GG_Text.html
http://www.dirtbikeworld.net/Reviews/06KTM/06_300_450EXC_review.html
http://www.dirtbikeworld.net/Reviews/Yamaha/2005_WR_Launch/WRLaunch_Text.html

Offline BigBlock1DT6

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2010, 08:41:39 PM »
To many Morons to deal with on our roads to deal with just driving a car let alone a bike around here
tho riding the old Katana 1100's on the back wheel for km after km was the highlight for me back in the day

I lost my nerves a few years ago after a life long mate was killed by a drunken scumbag with a bad temper
and i gave them up for good after that

I still miss the rides but i have no urge to ever ride again
The sign saying, "Do Not Overtake turning Vehicle", means I am trying to tell you to have a Nice Day :)

Offline udderchaos

• Tent User
    • Austism Spectrum Disorder SE SA support group
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2010, 09:13:56 PM »
im the same, ive had had a tweaked RGV250 in track bike trim which i sold when my first child was born (too crazy)
after a while it got the better of me and i got a zx6r ninja which got the better of me everytime i rode it. flat out everywhere.
that lasted about a year.

I had a guy get t-boned in adelaide right infront of me on teh same bike as mine, tragically he was killed. Poor guy did nothing wrong and had no where to go :( guy just pulled out on him and whack.

that was it. i got home. pushed my bike in the shed, it sat there for 12 months before i sold it. Havent and wont ride another bike again

Offline Crimso

• Tent User
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2010, 09:29:39 PM »
I have a 1998 Ducati 900SS.

This is "Desdemona". She's been in the family for about 10 years now. First purchased by my husband as a bit of a reward to himself for making Turbine pilot in the time frame he'd given himself. It was also a childhood dream I think for him.

Before his accident, we were discussing getting me a bigger bike (than the 125cc scooter I also have, I'll show it in a moment.) so we could do some touring together. It was a bit hard for him trying to stay with me when we rode out together and the scooters tiny wheels just are not really suitable for long distance riding out here.

After the accident, I was thinking about how I should upgrade my motorbike licence (as I was under the impression that I was only able to ride 125cc but that was not the case as it turned out.) and what I should ride to do that. Taking one look at the bike parked under the house made me realise that I was probably more than capable of riding it. So, a close friend (who has an ST4) took me out to the airport on the Duke and got me going. I was soon racing up and down the strip no problems I can tell you!!

Since then, I've been on a National Ducati rally to Bathurst, that was just pure awesome riding around Mt Panorama I can tell you! I've ridden out with the local Harley guys, they don't mind a chick riding a sports bike and can at least appreciate fine engineering! I've fixed the leaking fuel tank that had been bodgyed up by Mark previously! I only had some help with that job in the form of muscle, everything else I did! Had a new clutch installed that just made a huge difference to my riding and had a faulty thermocouple fixed that was stalling the bike when up at temp.

We originally purchased this bike from Ducati Noosa, it was second hand with only about 30 thousand kays on it. It now just has over 70 thousand. I always take the bike back to them for servicing as they have always looked after us and the bike and now that they know about Mark, I am convinced that I am getting very well cared for, me and my bike.

I don't think I will ever get rid of the Duke. It has too many memories as what it meant to Mark and I've now had a whole new set of my own created by her. Also, seeing as they don't make the Supersport any longer, her value will only increase over time.

Whilst not the most perfect example out there, she sports some battle wounds that were done in low speed gravel loses done by Mark around work (he didn't ride it out there unless he really had too.) though I suspect some were not just low speed, she has been a reliable machine that you can just jump on and ride. Hence why Mark went with the newer electronic ignition and fuel injected bike as he didn't want to be fixing it all the time before he went out for a ride! He just wanted to be able to get on and ride!

I swear...there truly is nothing like cornering on this machine. While it just hums along on the straights, when you get to the twisty bits, you just relax into the awesomeness that is this machine going from corner to corner. I sure haven't had it over as far as some would, I'm still learning that skill, but what I have done is just a fantastic feeling.

Totally agree, Dan, two wheels do move the soul...

After all that...I'll show the other ride later... ;D

Hey Duchess, next time you're there, say a big hello to Johno for me. He's an old friend from waaaayyyyy back, though he wouldn't know me as Crimso he would know me as "mule". I hadn't thought about him for years till you posted this, then I went and had a look at his site and saw his picture there which reminded me of a lot of fun we had together. He and his brother used to ride Yamahas and then both got big 750 Ducati touring bikes (I know stuff all about bikes), one was orange, one was blue and went very bloody fast compared to anything I had ever been a pillion on before. It's a small world.
http://www.myswag.org/gallery/d/19406-2/Burrum+Camp.jpg

Offline BigJules

• Administrator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Just Cruisin' - I wish...
    • I'm so much cooler online :D
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2010, 09:39:31 PM »
I'll have to go around to my mate's place, he's got all the bikes, I just ride 'em  ;D.

I love bikes, have had a bunch of them, mostly dirt but a couple of road bikes. Big beemers work for me best, though my mate has a K9 GSXR1000 which goes at the speed of sound, on the back wheel and I'm kinda in love with it.

I like the big four strokes off road, all that torque without all the noise. Scariest bike I've ever owned was an 84(?) Honda CR500, it was an absolute beast for a young bloke. I didn't need the seat, pretty much had to sit on the petrol tank cap to stop it back flipping.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 01:04:46 PM by bigjules »
Julian
Land Cruiser V8 + Trackabout Safari SV Extenda
MySwag Gallery, Photobucket
Sydney Agent for www.trackabout.com.au
Mallee Gear - Tough as nails

Offline coxy1954

• Tent User
  • 2007 RA Rodeo LX
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2010, 12:01:29 AM »
Many years back I rode a Honda 1000cc Gold Wing. I traveled up the east coast to Cooktown and on the way back had a very fast spill that put me in Hospital for some time. Never rode since.

Cheers Dave
http://myswag.org/gallery/v/coxy1954/

Offline Postie

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2010, 06:16:21 AM »
No pictures to share at the moment... I ride a CT110 Every day for work! Got to love the postie bikes... but dealing with Sydney traffic on a daily basis is scary stuff. I have a DT200 for doing rides on fire trails etc. Chuck my daughter on the back and away we go! Happy days. I love the 2 strokes as well of road. But on road a big V-twin is what you want :)
1999 NL Poojero..... AKA the money pit! Re built from the inside out and 2009 Kangaroo tent city CT

Offline Laith

• Campers are like girlfriends... I like to check out everyone else's
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2010, 08:10:05 AM »
My first bike was a Yamaha RD350 2 stroke Road bike then it was on to a Suzuki RGV 250 ex proddy bike. From there I got a 96 CBR600 ex proddy bike. After that was a GSXR750. I never got dirt bikes. The idea of riding a fast bike on a slippery surface with trees around seems crazy to me.

This was my last bike. A Honda VTR1000. 1000cc VTwin. Had to get rid of bikes from my life as I cant be trusted on them. Too many fines for wheelies and speeding.

Offline richee

• Tent User
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2010, 08:30:57 AM »
Many years ago I rode one of these around, strictly off road.

2007 NS DiD GLX Pajero
2010 Jayco Eagle

Offline rossow

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2010, 09:02:30 AM »
I gotta stop reading this thread... all these beautiful machines!
The only reason I got rid of my XR was because some mongrel pinched it from me  :'(
But I know whoever they are probably saved my life.

Rossow.

Offline whitey1

• Soft Floor Camper User
    • Mr and Mrs Whiteys Great Oz Trek
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2010, 09:13:26 AM »
This is my current ride a 2008 Suzuki Bandit 1250

My previous bikes in order were
82 XL185
CB 400 (road)
85 XL600
95 NX 650 Dominator
97 XR400
Then a break from bikes for a few years and then bought another Dominator
and now my first Suzuki(not that I was a Honda freak or anything, thats just what I always had)

Toyota Prado D4D towing an custom built off road caravan
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mr-Mrs-Whiteys-Great-Oz-Trek/23574764645

Offline toad

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2010, 10:41:40 AM »
 We both used to ride, and miss it. However, as others have said, unskilled morons in cars are just too dangerous. Some of my bikes - 84 Katana 750 (scary), 93 VFR 750 (beautiful) , 96 NX 650 (tame), Froggy - Yamaha Seca 600, Marauder 800.
cheers
Gary
2009 Cruiser 200 TTD
2007 Navara D40 2.5TD - wife's shopping trolley
2014 AOR Quantum

Offline BigJules

• Administrator
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Just Cruisin' - I wish...
    • I'm so much cooler online :D
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2010, 01:09:15 PM »
Many years ago I rode one of these around, strictly off road.

I had one of these, got it off my father. It was thing of beauty, the engine was so light, all alloy and beautifully polished, unlike the jap bikes of the time. I had the matching Bultaco bum bag as well, with some tools in it. It was astonishingly reliable, and robust enough to take the caning I gave it, except the chromed guards which didn't flex too well.

« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 01:11:39 PM by bigjules »
Julian
Land Cruiser V8 + Trackabout Safari SV Extenda
MySwag Gallery, Photobucket
Sydney Agent for www.trackabout.com.au
Mallee Gear - Tough as nails

Offline Matto

• Don't Follow Me - I Won't Make It
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2010, 03:47:47 PM »
This:

2005 Triumph Sprint ST 1050. Beautiful machine. We bought it brand new, because we were spending more and more time doing longer rides with friends. Not long after buying it one friend moved away, the other sold his bike, and we moved up north. Between that and my neck/back getting worse, it hardly gets ridden at all these days - a total of 7000-odd kms on the clock. I've been saying for 18 months that I really should sell the poor thing, but I just can't bear to part with it just yet.

The previous one we used as daily transport to work and back in Bris (an hour each way, on a good day), as well as long weekend escapes. Every weekend we were out. Traded it in on the blue one with well over 30,000kms on it. It was a great fun machine, but I don't miss constantly having to balance the carbies.

It's the one on the left - 99 Firestorm (same as Laith's red one above). It had a bit of work done, and was wearing a lot of carbon. We fitted the gearsack to the back of it, and had more than enough space for gear we needed to do a couple of nights away. And when back in town, my old esky would neatly fit on, and we could rock up to a BBQ with a carton of coldies already on ice, along with the snags :) .

(a Matto aside - our crazy German neighbour in Brisbane, Klaus, used to love the bike despite us leaving around 6:30. The way our driveway was, it had the straight-through pipes pointed directly at his bedroom window. We'd constantly tell him to tell us if it bothered him, and he'd assure us that he loved it, he used to race bikes, and could think of no better way to wake up in the morning. One day we needed to take the car in for some reason, and when we got home Klaus was irate. Apparently he'd stopped using his alarm clock months earlier, relying on the noise of the bike to wake him up. We slipped out in the little car that morning, he didn't wake get up till 10 o'clock, and was well late for work!)

I still see the yellow one occasionally when I'm in Bris, it's new owner must work in the city near our office. Nice to see it's still getting around.

Duchess - I'll be round to pick up the Duc later. Beautiful machine - we used to park next to one that same colour under work. Always would have liked to have picked one up.

Good thread!
Matto :)
"I have a bunch of junk that is not any better than yours." - MoGas - ExPo member #226.

Offline Foo

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2010, 05:02:48 PM »
First roadie was a 380GT Suzi then CB 750 F2 then CB 900 F2B Bolardor (spelling) had two of these! ;D Also had half share in a short circuit side car that ran on Shell A. Now that was fun! 8)
So long as you have tried your best, you should have no regrets.