Author Topic: Smokers...Who wants to join me in quitting???  (Read 45651 times)

Offline MR MAC GU

• Soft Floor Camper User
Smokers...Who wants to join me in quitting???
« on: June 21, 2011, 09:16:33 PM »
So after 20 odd years of smoking (30+ per day about $120 per week) its time to quit... again.... >:D >:D >:D

Anyway...i have tried it all over the last few years from gum, patches and hypnatismn (sp).

I think the only thing that will work is will power, and as I can see my health slowly slipping away its time to do it not just for me, but for the kids too.

I am sure there would be members on here that want to quit, so I figure we could all do it together and offer support if we slip etc. We can use this thread to discuss the ins and outs of how we are going inc feelings, cravings etc and how we have been handling them.

My plan is from this coming Monday 27/6/2011 to cut my habit by at least half and totally quit by Monday 4/7/2011.

If you have any valid suggestions please feel free to post them up.

So who wants to give it a go with me???
"I live with Fear everyday and sometimes She lets me RACE"

The Motley Crew 4x4 and Social Club of Australia inc
www.themotleycrew.com.au

2004 GU Patrol ST Wagon with all the good touring gear.
"Lifted Locked and Loaded"

2010 Kimberley Platinum Extreme with "extras"

Offline ras

• Tent User
Re: Smokers...Who wants to join me in quitting???
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 09:24:53 PM »
I smoked a pack a day for over 25 years.
Gave up heaps of times!!!

Nearly 2 years ago, I took champix tablets (prescription via doctor) and havent smoked since...

This is the longest I have given up for....

It might be worth a shot for you... You still need willpower though.

Hope it helps.

Offline TroyE

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • you can't buy experience
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 09:30:08 PM »
good on ya MAC, I gave it away 20 odd years ago, with just will power, (had only smoked for 10 odd years) not an easy thing to do but really satisfying to know you did it, every time you get a craving tell your self that your a nonsmoker and find some thing to distract your self with ( preferably not lollies) :cheers:

troy
you can't polish a turd, BUT you can roll it in glitter...

Offline Slipus

• Tent User
  • Slip
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 09:37:39 PM »
Yea Well Done,

I gave it up years ago... I just quit cold turkey.

Keep your self busy.  After a few days the physical addiction is gone and its all in your mind , so be strong

cheers

Pete

Offline xvprado

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2011, 10:01:37 PM »
Im a vote for the champix

I gave up 1 year 16 days and 12 hours ago...give or take

After  nearly 40 years smoking, I was on the tablets for way too long, until I decided to give up, then its not so hard, you gotta get your head right.

fOR ME, I SAID TO MYSELF, "SELF...JUST DONT SMOKE FOR A FEW DAYS", ONCE i HAD ACHIEVED THAT i HAD ANOTHER CHAT AND SAID TO MYSELF WELL IF YOU CAN DO 4 DAYS, YOU CAN DO FOREVER, THATS WHEN i DECIDED TO NEVER SMOKE AGAIN, AFTER i HAD PROVEN TO ME IT WAS POSSIBLE. The other bit was having a good reason, for me it was because I want to see my darling granddaughter grow up into a beautiful young lady....simple stuff, but powerful messages to your own head

Ahhh bugger, just realised I hit the caps lock...sorry

Anyway, that will do, good luck with giving up, its so worth it
Glen
Hawkesbury Valley, Sydderney
2015 200 TD VX & Mountain Trail LXV4.7

Offline TOPNDR

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2011, 10:50:22 PM »
Mr Mac, a smoking mate found Allen Carr's book " easy way to quit smoking", very helpful.
'09 VX TTD Cruiser:- 6 speed auto, 650 nm torque plus bling
'09 Australian Off Road Quantum

Offline mull dog

• Sleeping Bag User
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2011, 11:09:34 PM »
your about 6 months too late Mac, but i will offer encouragement. you CAN do it. all the best
Heading to the top baby, August 2014!

Offline DannyG

• Hard Top Camper User
  • The best way to predict the future is to create it
    • Oz Isuzu Forum
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2011, 11:51:23 PM »
Too late for me to join you but I can offer some words of support.

I smoked for 20 odd years, admittedly I wasnt a real heavy smoker (approx 20 a day) however I had several failed attempts to quit.

A few months ago I made the decision that it was my time to quit. I went to the doctor and went on those champix tablets.

I smoked for the first week or so and totally quit on the chosen date as per the instructions. The tablets made me feel sick at times and they also stopped me from sleeping properly. Im not sure if this is the desired effect they are supposed to have to make you quit but after about a month the feeling sick and lack of sleep subsided slightly.

Anyway, I chose not to do the full 12 week program. I felt that will power and the fact that I was really wanting to get a proper nights sleep and to stop feeling ill was enough for me to stop the tablets.

I have not looked back. I am not going to smoke again. I do not want to let myself down.

It is tough. Very tough. There is not a day goes by where I dont have that urge to have a smoke. Sure it goes as quick as it hits me but it still very much requires will power. I am hoping over time that feeling of really wanting a smoke will go completely. However family members who have quit for several years tell me they still at times feel like a smoke.

You have to want to quit though. There is no point in taking it lightly. Give it a red hot go and be strong.

I now see people smoking, or I smell it on people I work with and it gives me motivation to stay off them.

Good luck with it, I really hope you succeed. Even if you dont succeed this time, give it another go. Keep trying.

I really think if I can do it, any one can do it.
Not a virus, not a re-install, not a format, not an issue since 2011..once you go mac you never go back

Oz Isuzu Forums
My Trailer Build

Offline Paul Mac

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Bolwell Edge
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2011, 11:58:11 PM »
From one Mac to another...........I've been on the Champix for 2 months now and haven't felt the craving for several weeks now. You will feel much better in a few weeks time.

Just think about all the things you can spend your savings on.

Cheers and the best of luck with the quitting.

Offline Heiny

• "All who wander are not lost"
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2011, 06:15:29 AM »
I smoked a pack a day for over 25 years.
Gave up heaps of times!!!

Nearly 2 years ago, I took champix tablets (prescription via doctor) and havent smoked since...

This is the longest I have given up for....

It might be worth a shot for you... You still need willpower though.

Hope it helps.
I also took Champix, I quit smoking March 2010 and havn't touched one since :cup: I had also attempted to quit several times prior to this but as ras said you still require will power.
NM Pajero GLS 3.2 DiD manual
2008 Jayco Flamingo Outback

Offline HEM19X

• Hard Top Camper User
  • If I agree with you, then we would both be wrong!
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2011, 06:31:25 AM »
Never been a smoker but my father was.

He gave up cold turkey many years ago & his secret was "to do without, even if it was for just 5 mins" - get up & do something else or have something to eat etc...that was over 30 years ago & he is now 86...I'm sure he wouldn't have lasted this long if he still smoked.

I wish you well.

Hem
2019 BT50 with custom canopy and lots of fruit. Towing a 2014 Lotus Freelander [welcome to the dark side]

Offline Tadpole

• Swag User
  • Offsider to Bullfrog
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2011, 06:50:05 AM »
Good on ya Mr Mac,  :cup:
encouragement goes your way, I was a smoker (not for very long) but my mum was for many years (20+) and after much nagging from the grandkids, tried the tablets (not sure which one) and she has been smoke free for 2 years now.
Stick with your plan, you can do it........ :laugh:
Good luck.... :cheers:
Judy
I wanna go camping.......:}

Offline griz066

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2011, 06:56:43 AM »
Well done for deciding to quit,

I agree cold turkey and will power is the way to go as it worked for me, I quit 15 years ago.

I smoked for 15 years the last 10 years I smoked 50+ a day up to 80+ a day on weekends if I was drinking. That was costing me $240 a month.

The first week is the killer you need to be strong and not give in to the justifications ie: I can just have one to get me through this rough patch this boring drive or this beer etc etc etc. There is a million ways we justify having a smoke when we are giving up.

My wife was giving up at the same time but is still smoking after the patches, pills and hypno twice, so it is not easy for all.

My motivation was I wanted to buy a house, i had a deposit but couldn't afford repayments without giving up.

You don't save the money but I guess you you end up with all the things you wanted when smoking but couldn't afford. If i smoked today it would be costing me $600 a month.

Good luck. :cheers:
Yesterday's Gone, Tomorrow Hasn't Happened, Live For Today.
http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=12950.msg192834#msg192834

Offline Cactus

• Swag User
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2011, 07:46:29 AM »
Mac
I gave up years 30 years ago, cold turkey, I made a life style change at that point to help. I stopped going to the hotel on Friday nights after work, a few beers and someone would offer you a fag and away you go. This worked well. I made myself a social outcast for awhile by not associating with people who smoked. This helped me a lot until I really kicked the habit (this took about 2months)  I have never been tempted since. So good luck and keep at it you will win.
A healthy 66 YO
Cactus

Offline Tracey family

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2011, 07:50:48 AM »
Good on you Mac!  Scott (hubby) had tried everything like you but the tablets from the doc finally did the trick. He even said it was pretty easy on them because there were next to no cravings - just had to keep his hands busy  :D

Best of luck!! Great decision.

:cheers: Glenyse

Scott and Glenyse Tracey
2010 Trackabout 4x4 Deluxe Tourer
2010 Mitsubishi Triton dual cab

Offline Chippy76

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • :D
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2011, 08:34:00 AM »
Firstly, good on you for having another go at quitting, I know from experience that it isnt easy.  I turfed the smokes about 6 years ago, when I met my know wife (she is a staunch non smoker) I was good incentive for me to quit then.  Id be lying if I said I havent had one or two since then (mostly on the grog). But I have found that I simply don t enjoy it anymore, or the aftertaste. My only advice is to know your triggers. For me it is drinking, cold weather, and idle time (sounds like winter camping right ?! :S  )

So be strong, use what ever aids you need to help you through, and dont stress about the one or two that go through to the keeper. In the long run every ciggie you dont smoke is one less nail in your coffin. You wont regret it!!!!

Cheers Chippy :D

PS keep us posted on the progress.

"All ice is thin ...cross only when necessary" - Buck Tilton

Offline tomsyl

• Learning the Ropes
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2011, 09:09:00 AM »
I gave up 9 months ago after smoking for nearly 60 years, it's never too late, every day you go without a smoke, give yourself a pat on the back.  It's hard but not impossible.

Tom

Offline Redback

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2011, 10:20:41 AM »
1984 I gave up, I swore that I would give up smoking when they went to a $1 a pack (20s) I was also saving to go overseas, went cold turkey, never looked back, good luck and stay strong, the first 20yrs are the hardest ;D

Baz.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 01:54:41 PM by Redback »
Cheers Baz.

2011 Discovery 4 TDV6
1990 Perentie FFR  
Lightweight Camper.
1973 Kawasaki H2a 750 
1979 BMW R80/7
1983 BMW R100RT ex Police
2006 BMW R1200GS
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fool

Offline blackstump

• ''LIFES TO SHORT TO BE SMALL''
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2011, 01:20:35 PM »
champix is good...really good....they work well

but not well enough for me   :'(...maybe time to try again... :laugh:

Patches helped me go from Winnie reds to Winnie blues  ??? and left red square blotches on my arms  >:(

when you crunch the numbers on how much you will save if your a pack a day person, it is scary and that should be enough to make you quit.

good luck with it mate

IS THERE A PROBLEM OFFICER

Offline OffRoadDave

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • If I think I can build it I will!
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2011, 01:31:09 PM »
Good luck with it those that are giving it a crack, I've been off the fags for about 15 months now and never felt better, the difference for me with giving up was that I wanted to, I'd tried before but didn't really want to do it, so inevitably I'd end up back on them a very short time.

I can't exactly put a finger on why I changed from wanting to smoke, to not wanting to smoke, I just ran out of them one day, and asked myself why am I doing this, I went cold turkey and haven't had one since. I know there were serveral factors involved such as a grand father passing away from emphysema a few months earlier, and wanting to be around for my kids when they get to my age, I guess there were several reasons that eventually changed my mindset, but it is possible to give up, if you truly want to, and that is the key I reckon.

Offline camdyson

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2011, 01:33:15 PM »
Great thread - good luck, and there's always a free beer in my Engel for any ex-smoker who wants to visit my campfire  ;D (Beer-beggars please note, proof of previous smoking required!)

Bit of inspiration: new employee at my clinic a few years back was a fat little smoker who's only excercise was beer and darts. Got him off the ciggies and into bike riding. He's now an A-grade road racer who even has the gall to flog me up hills!! >:D Wouldn't touch a smoke if you paid him now, he's so hooked on being healthy. And still likes a beer... 8)

So best of luck with it, and never quit quitting.

Cheers,

Cam
Set your chickens free

Offline Jon

• Hard Floor Camper User
  • Bringing rain to every campsite
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2011, 01:42:13 PM »
Good on you for quitting.
I smoked for 17years and gave up just before the birth of my first child. My wife still smokes.

Firstly, and this is harsh, you are NOT doing it for anyone but yourself. You will let yourself down if you fail. Your kids may motivate you and that is good. But the most important person here is you.
secondly, dont cut back, JUST STOP. Anything else is just just delaying the inevitable.

Yes it is very hard, but just do it.
Chew gum, any type, doesnt matter. Also keep your hands busy.

Good luck with it, keep us posted.
I got a sweater for Xmas, really wanted a moaner or screamer.

Offline Crazy Dog

• Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2011, 01:43:25 PM »
COLD TURKEY...only way IMHO..

Grrr!!!

Smoked for 44yrs and last few years at least a 100 per day- chain smoker..

Made a promise to everyone that when my first grandchild was born I would stop there and then for that little person.

That little person is my grandson and is now 8.5 yrs old.

So it can be done..Never looked back or wanted another smoke. Guilt feelings are a gr8 help in this situation.

I wish you all the best in trying to give it up..YOU CAN DO IT IF YOU WANT TO..

Grrr!!!
Cairns FNQ - I love poor little defenseless animals, especially in gravy.

Offline Paul Mac

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Bolwell Edge
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2011, 02:13:24 PM »
champix is good...really good....they work well

but not well enough for me   :'(...maybe time to try again... :laugh:

Patches helped me go from Winnie reds to Winnie blues  ??? and left red square blotches on my arms  >:(

when you crunch the numbers on how much you will save if your a pack a day person, it is scary and that should be enough to make you quit.

good luck with it mate

Robbie, you should quit mate.....it'll stunt your growth  ;D

Offline blackstump

• ''LIFES TO SHORT TO BE SMALL''
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2011, 02:17:49 PM »
ide be 7' 23'' if i did mate.... ;D

IS THERE A PROBLEM OFFICER