Author Topic: 20 years ago  (Read 7568 times)

Offline Pete79

• Hard Top Camper User
Re: 20 years ago
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2017, 08:45:59 AM »
Princess Di is a vague memory, I know I was sitting at the kitchen table my best mates house. If it was a Sunday as many have said, there's a very good chance we had just got back from fishing. If it was late on a Sunday there's an extremely good chance I was drunk and that probably explains why it's a bit vague.... ;D :cheers:

9/11; my GF at the time was night owl and watched it live from the very first breaking news story. She woke me up in the very early hours of the morning and we watched the whole thing.

Michael Jackson; don't care for any of his music and even less for him as a person (or parent). But I remember clearly hearing the news on the car radio while driving to see my brand new baby girls for the second time ever. The person means nothing to me, but the memory of emotions that day are very clear.

Offline JB

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #26 on: September 02, 2017, 09:04:22 AM »
I was walking with my soon to be wife down Toorak Road in South Yarra going to lunch.    How pretentious does that sound???    I would t fit in down there these day!!!

JB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
NW Pajero - 'Kat'  The Canopy Camper

Offline Davepatrol

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • 4.2 Patrol with a lot of extras
« Reply #27 on: September 02, 2017, 11:04:40 AM »
heard it on the radio, Had loaded bitumen out of Caltex at Kurnell to be delivered to lightningridge on the Monday morning.

Offline Brisbane Puff

• Tent User
« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2017, 11:32:59 AM »
Probably dating me as ancient. But the one that rocked me was when I arrived at my girlfriends home after school and her mother was crying.. Said to me that President Kennedy had just been assassinated.. To me he was the most powerful person in the world.. Couldn't get my head around how anyone could kill the most powerful person in the world..

9/11 .. My wife woke me up and we spent 6 hours glued to the TV watching.. Saw the live coverage of the second plane hitting the tower.. Had the same incredulous feeling that I had with JFK..

But the one that still comes to mind was the Americas Cup.. Had been watching all the races.. The last one was on and it was close to the finish but I had to go to work.. Rang the boss to say I was going to be late getting in.. I didn't know at the time but he was a sailing buff too.. He just said "come in after the race"... Drove to work pretty happy after the win... 
Puff

Offline GrumpyOne

• Swag User
« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2017, 12:31:23 PM »
In the car and on a stretch of road between Berrigan and Oaklands in NSW heading to Wagga when we heard about Lady Di on the radio.

Lots of other significant occasions I can recall as well but she would be #1 that I remember vividly.

Offline speewa158

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2017, 08:26:36 AM »
Sitting at a bar in Disneyland waiting for a taxi to take the family back to LA .  Huge TV on the bar everybody transfixed watching , shocked 
You can go your own way . Treg Up & Make Dust

Offline Traveller

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2017, 10:10:19 AM »
Heard about Di while we were on the Birdsville track, Mother Teresa a day or so later, then Pat Rafter winning the US Open. It was quite a newsy week. Missed all the funeral stuff while out there.

I am with Brisbane Puff about JFK's assassination. I was at school at the time and the feeling that went with his death was that there were going to be nukes flying everywhere. This death meant much more to me than the others, probably because I was just a dumb school kid that believed all the media hype.

The Americas Cup win was a major bit of telly as well.

Offline #jonesy

• Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2017, 09:47:42 PM »
Brij I think that is it. Where you were at the time of theses events are only memorable when they "fit" into a part of your life.
2013 Aussie Jays - Crusher      2013 Toyota Hilux. 

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2017, 09:52:12 PM »
dont remember dont really care either...

with all the Shit on TV you'd think it was yesterday
people die every day... thats how it is..
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline The punter

• "avoiding grey nomads since 2011"
  • Hard Floor Camper User
« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2017, 10:59:24 PM »
dont remember dont really care either...

with all the Shit on TV you'd think it was yesterday
people die every day... thats how it is..

I feel the same, it's always sad when someone's mum dies though, two weeks ago a mum in Adelaide was killed by a bunch of kids in a stolen car, grubs then left her to die.  The media won't remember her in 20 years. Royalty is just as irrelevant to me.
13 FJ Cruiser
15 Lifestyle Reconn
1980 HJ45