Poll

Was/Is your experience?

Great
Good
So so
Poor
Pulling teeth was a better experience

Author Topic: NBN. What is your experience so far.  (Read 127683 times)

Offline richo9923

• Swag User
Re: NBN. What is your experience so far.
« Reply #375 on: March 30, 2019, 11:49:48 AM »
Cant get NBN at all in anyway shape or form, in a dead spot between to of the towers apparently, patiently waiting for the 5G network to go live so we can have decent internet access again, currently paying Telstra close to $150 a month for a plan that gives a decent ammount of internet so we can netflix and talk to family overseas,

Offline Jon Burrell - Tentworld

• Tent User
    • Tentworld - Shop Online or In-Store
« Reply #376 on: March 30, 2019, 11:58:30 AM »
told em i was cancelling, and could get it for 60 elsewhere... I think ramjeet said he'd match it
but ovre this period Im changing everything to my new gmail account so I can go anywhere at drop of hat.

Glad your NBN finally got sorted & you've got good speeds.  Now watch your data consumption explode......  It's amazing how quickly you adapt to the new speeds.

Here's my Speedtest for today, I've got FTTP.

This months data use, first time I've cracked 1tb in a month....

I can still remember waiting so long for songs to download from Napster, that I'd forgotten why I'd queued it to begin with.
Happy Camping! 

Browse our range, and shop online at:
https://www.tentworld.com.au/
Find your local Tentworld Camping Store at: 
https://www.tentworld.com.au/camping-stores

Offline edz

• Hard Top Camper User
  • " I dont like Sheeple "
« Reply #377 on: March 30, 2019, 12:22:10 PM »
Ours is 18 ms Ping ..   19.1 Download  ...  5   Upload ...   absolutely fantastic Not.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2019, 12:24:51 PM by edz »
" IMPROVISE  ADAPT   OVERCOME   and  PERSEVERE  "

Offline BC66

• Tent User
« Reply #378 on: March 30, 2019, 12:33:34 PM »
We just reduced our plan from having 97 download to 47. Upload is still similar
Saves us $24 per month and don’t even notice the difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline rockrat

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #379 on: March 30, 2019, 02:29:42 PM »
We just reduced our plan from having 97 download to 47. Upload is still similar
Saves us $24 per month and don’t even notice the difference.

Who are you with? We currently have Optus cable but have been told NBN is coming in about a month and then we will have 90 days to change over.

Offline BC66

• Tent User
« Reply #380 on: March 30, 2019, 02:33:07 PM »
Who are you with? We currently have Optus cable but have been told NBN is coming in about a month and then we will have 90 days to change over.

Hi,
We are with Telstra and have the fiber connection.
So far it’s been great, in the 13 months that we have had NBN it’s only dropped out a couple of times during storms.
Prior to this we could only get wireless 3G where we live

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Fizzie

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #382 on: April 30, 2019, 09:20:35 AM »
Something I don't understand about articles like that ???

OK, we're apparently so as $%^&, but when I do a speedtest (which I know is supposedly rigged to say things are great ::)) it tells me I'm getting ~24 down, 4.5 up on a 25/5 plan. OK fine, happy with that :D

But it also says I'm faster than the average US download speed, which is ~22 ???

So if I'm faster than the average Yank ;D, then how are we so far down in world rankings, or are the Septics even worse off than we are ??? >:D
Winner PotM comp Jan 2021!

Terrie: 2014 Ford SZ Territory,
Coromal: 2023 Soul Seeker 18'
Sunnie:  2010 Sunliner Holiday

Offline Bird

• Once Was Lost, now am found
  • Hard Top Camper User
  • Life is far too long....
    • My Place.
« Reply #383 on: April 30, 2019, 09:59:19 AM »
Something I don't understand about articles like that ???

OK, we're apparently so as $%^&, but when I do a speedtest (which I know is supposedly rigged to say things are great ::)) it tells me I'm getting ~24 down, 4.5 up on a 25/5 plan. OK fine, happy with that :D

But it also says I'm faster than the average US download speed, which is ~22 ???

So if I'm faster than the average Yank ;D, then how are we so far down in world rankings, or are the Septics even worse off than we are ??? >:D

Our setup should have been future proof, not 5yrs behind before it started but it did save us $2.50 +gst each until they have to upgrade it again 4 yrs ago soon

This was Wazbot off here in a back street 1/2 star motel in MEXICO
-
Click to enlarge

Gone to a new home

Offline Jon Burrell - Tentworld

• Tent User
    • Tentworld - Shop Online or In-Store
« Reply #384 on: May 02, 2019, 10:55:03 AM »
Our setup should have been future proof, not 5yrs behind before it started but it did save us $2.50 +gst each until they have to upgrade it again 4 yrs ago soon

Just found the full ranking list.  https://www.speedtest.net/global-index

Interestingly, Australia ranks 5th in the world for mobile data speeds at avg of 58.87mbps.   Possibly more handy, considering our vast size to population ratio.

But positive press doesnt sell papers or views apparently. 

But, you mention Mexico - they actually rank 71st with 27.67mbps avg to our 62nd with 35.11.

From what I know though, our ISPs have all chosen a different approach to other countries.  Where they charge for both speed & data used. 

Seems NBN is a little bit silly to structure it that way.  ISPs perhaps should just give 'max' speeds to everyone, and then charge for data only.  That'd be a great way to jump the Speed Test rankings & get media off their back. 

I am sure some network engineer would have a heart attack reading this idea though :) 

I understand that most people who are connected to NBN are connected on 25/5 connections - a good chunk of those are capable of at least 50.  So dragging the average speeds backwards, despite the network being capable of more.
Happy Camping! 

Browse our range, and shop online at:
https://www.tentworld.com.au/
Find your local Tentworld Camping Store at: 
https://www.tentworld.com.au/camping-stores

Offline tryagain

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #385 on: May 02, 2019, 12:21:26 PM »
Just found the full ranking list.  https://www.speedtest.net/global-index

Interestingly, Australia ranks 5th in the world for mobile data speeds at avg of 58.87mbps.   Possibly more handy, considering our vast size to population ratio.

A pretty good argument could be made from that for small government and leaving it to the market.

Offline 2010banditsa

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Cheers- It's 12 O'clock somewhere
« Reply #386 on: May 02, 2019, 03:37:49 PM »
has anyone got satellite and how is it? Tech that just visited said he couldn't make the fixed wireless work and with no cable in my area, satellite all I got that this stage  ??? HTF does this work when I'm not even that bloody rural.
Isuzu MUX
2013 Goldstream 16' poptop with bunk
Van- http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=31445

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #387 on: May 02, 2019, 03:58:22 PM »
has anyone got satellite and how is it? Tech that just visited said he couldn't make the fixed wireless work and with no cable in my area, satellite all I got that this stage  ??? HTF does this work when I'm not even that bloody rural.

Do you have line of sight to the tower for fixed wireless?  We have fixed wireless and that is what it came down to, if you had line of sight you had it and if you lived on the wrong side of the hill you didn't.  We are in a rural/residential area where anything to the house was just not going to work.  One mate that lived in the same area didn't have line of sight, being too low in their gully to get the Fixed Wireless and ended up going Satellite.  From the way he spoke it was pretty ordinary with a rather limited operating time span due to the ridges stopping satellite coverage.   
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline 2010banditsa

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Cheers- It's 12 O'clock somewhere
« Reply #388 on: May 03, 2019, 03:09:36 PM »
Do you have line of sight to the tower for fixed wireless?  We have fixed wireless and that is what it came down to, if you had line of sight you had it and if you lived on the wrong side of the hill you didn't.  We are in a rural/residential area where anything to the house was just not going to work.  One mate that lived in the same area didn't have line of sight, being too low in their gully to get the Fixed Wireless and ended up going Satellite.  From the way he spoke it was pretty ordinary with a rather limited operating time span due to the ridges stopping satellite coverage.

Thanks alnjan, this is what i was scared of. Line of sight didn't work well enough, so nbn wouldn't connect. Topography challenges sound similar to what I would expect at my joint... hopefully enough people cant get the tower and they set up a new one. thanks for response.
Isuzu MUX
2013 Goldstream 16' poptop with bunk
Van- http://www.myswag.org/index.php?topic=31445

Offline alnjan

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #389 on: May 03, 2019, 09:03:13 PM »
Thanks alnjan, this is what i was scared of. Line of sight didn't work well enough, so nbn wouldn't connect. Topography challenges sound similar to what I would expect at my joint... hopefully enough people cant get the tower and they set up a new one. thanks for response.

Hope something works for you.  Our 'connection' isn't too bad unless it rains.
Cheers

Al and/or Jan

Offline Desert lover

• Soft Floor Camper User
  • Challenge Meridian Offroad camper, GU Patrol.
« Reply #390 on: May 04, 2019, 09:30:37 AM »
Our experience so far....abismal (spelling?)....and it isn't even connected.  Firstly when the box was to be put on the outside of the house the NBN people wanted to dig up our newly landscaped garden and pavers.... so that was't going to happen as they couldn't guarantee that their finished product on our garden would be as it was prior to the excavation....  Then comes the appointments.... after telling them dates that we wouldn't be available the appointments were scheduled smack in the middle of the time (we were away over a period prior to and after Easter).... try to reschedule and the website wouldn't accept dates so far in advance - these being the dates we could commit too.... after a call to the carrier we had to cancell the appointment with instructions to ring back at the start of May..... and we could get an appointment during May.... called, told them the dates (two week block) during we would be able to commit to being present....all ok we thought until the confirmation arrived with dates in June!..... and again, we are not necessarily sure of our whereabouts on the dates they have chosen..... What a debarkle...for something we are having forced on us there doesn't seem to be a lot of consideration for people and our scheduling..  Then of course there is the minor problem of where to put the equipment.  We have a very clean lined home with no where to hide the stuff they are going to install.  Then it isn't going to work if we have a power outage and we have a few in this area......  I'm over it and it hasn't even been installed.   

>:(
Desert Lover

Offline rockrat

• Soft Floor Camper User
« Reply #391 on: May 04, 2019, 11:53:47 AM »
We haven’t even got NBN connected yet and I suspect it has caused us issues. Ever since the NBN became available in the last week or so, our Optus cable internet has been dropping out intermittently. A technician was meant to be coming today but Optus cancelled that visit and I now need to wait until next week. internet is working now but probably won’t be in another day or so based on our recent experience.

I’ve done what I always do, put a compliant in with the Telecommunications Industry Ombudsman.  Telco’s pay a fee for every complaint unless they quickly resolve it to the customer’s satisfaction. Normally gets their a#se into gear.

Now, just need to decide on who to go with for NBN. Exetel looked cheap but couldn’t give me a clear answer on connection costs (apparently they don’t include the lead in to the property in their “free activation” and can’t even provide a cost), Optus have a reasonable offer for existing customers moving over but I’ve had to make more tech calls to them in 12 months than I did to Telstra in 5+ years, Belong who I think are owned by Telstra and TPG who are a bit more expensive but have a good reputation.

Offline Kangaron

• "Don't make excuses, Make it Happen."
  • Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #392 on: May 04, 2019, 01:08:03 PM »
Can't beat this mob, will only sell the speed that is available, local aussie call centre and tech help.
https://www.aussiebroadband.com.au/nbn-plans/brisbane/

Offline macca

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #393 on: May 04, 2019, 05:57:11 PM »
Can't beat this mob, will only sell the speed that is available, local aussie call centre and tech help.
https://www.aussiebroadband.com.au/nbn-plans/brisbane/
Yep, l had a problem after I went to NBN called Aussie and they had a tech out the next day, he went around and replaced the cable connectors that the NBN guys had replaced when they installed it. Follow up call about 4 or 5 days later to make sure all was  good, tech even gave me his mobile number in case I still had issues, can't complain about that service , especially after enduring about 20 years with "it's not our problem" Telstra

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Offline D4D

• Hard Top Camper User
  • Are we there yet?
« Reply #394 on: July 12, 2019, 08:40:46 AM »
NBN still not available for another 12+ months in our area. After putting up with a very reliable but slow Telstra ADSL connection of 6Mb/s I moved to Hyperwave this week. Amazing service from a local company, with a private wireless network built for the hilly area. For the installation they braced the existing TV mast and fitted a 45cm dish, and ran the cable and access point to exactly where I wanted it to go. After an issue with the first router I bought, not their problem, I now have a rock solid 25 up/5 down with half the latency I had with the ADSL connection. The dish can do 100/20 but they've rate limited it at the moment, they plan to wind it up to 50/10 in the near future. If you live in the NE MEL hills these are the guys to call. http://www.hyperwave.com.au/

« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 08:51:32 AM by D4D »
I owe, I owe, it’s off to work I go…

Work - Outback
Play - Prado

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #395 on: July 12, 2019, 09:00:55 AM »
NBN still not available for another 12+ months in our area. After putting up with a very reliable but slow Telstra ADSL connection of 6Mb/s I moved to Hyperwave this week. Amazing service from a local company, with a private wireless network built for the hilly area. For the installation they braced the existing TV mast and fitted a 45cm dish, and ran the cable and access point to exactly where I wanted it to go. After an issue with the first router I bought, not their problem, I now have a rock solid 25 up/5 down with half the latency I had with the ADSL connection. The dish can do 100/20 but they've rate limited it at the moment, they plan to wind it up to 50/10 in the near future. If you live in the NE MEL hills these are the guys to call. http://www.hyperwave.com.au/

always thought this would be a good business opportunity in the regional towns... private wireless NBN providers popping up all over the place now...

as long as they don't get too big, too quick...

Offline Steffo1

• Hard Top Camper User
  • More I learn about women, more I like my ute
« Reply #396 on: July 15, 2019, 02:00:56 PM »
I hope something comes my way soon as I'm a bit over this sort of speed.
'93 4.2 TD 'Cruiser 'tilly
'08 TD V6 Disco 3
'10 16' Evernew Pop Top

"sit bonum tempora volvunt"

Offline sharkcaver

• Soft Floor Camper User
    • My ramblings:
« Reply #397 on: July 16, 2019, 01:03:25 PM »
I had to swap to NBN 2 weeks ago - they were about to cut me off so I had no choice.

Reading all the horror stories, I was worried a little.

Got home from work one day and I had no internet - I had been plugged into the node. Plugged the new nbn router in and had NBN internet up and running in a matter of minutes.

It took a few days for my voip to come good, but so far, so good - no drama whatsoever (touches one's noggin)

supposedly, I am 500 odd meters from the node, so I expected some degredation in speed.

To be perfectly honest, I cant notice any speed difference over my adsl2+, but I'm not downloading anything. My next youtube upload will be interesting to see - they take me 10-12 hours or so to upload.

Wish I did the speed test on the adls2+ prior to cut off.

I'm on the NBN50 plan, so the speed test result is pretty good I reckon??

« Last Edit: July 16, 2019, 01:05:29 PM by sharkcaver »
An NX Paj, a D-Max and an Ultimate X-trk

http://sharkcaver.blogspot.com.au/

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoz71vk1CWl6lp6Tv3dXhkQ/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0

Offline paceman

• Hard Top Camper User
« Reply #398 on: July 16, 2019, 01:13:25 PM »
I had to swap to NBN 2 weeks ago - they were about to cut me off so I had no choice.

Reading all the horror stories, I was worried a little.

Got home from work one day and I had no internet - I had been plugged into the node. Plugged the new nbn router in and had NBN internet up and running in a matter of minutes.

It took a few days for my voip to come good, but so far, so good - no drama whatsoever (touches one's noggin)

supposedly, I am 500 odd meters from the node, so I expected some degredation in speed.

To be perfectly honest, I cant notice any speed difference over my adsl2+, but I'm not downloading anything. My next youtube upload will be interesting to see - they take me 10-12 hours or so to upload.

Wish I did the speed test on the adls2+ prior to cut off.

I'm on the NBN50 plan, so the speed test result is pretty good I reckon??

for a 50 plan and 500m from the node, that result is extremely good...  :cup:

Offline DannyG

• Hard Top Camper User
  • The best way to predict the future is to create it
    • Oz Isuzu Forum
« Reply #399 on: July 16, 2019, 01:21:49 PM »
We have fixed wireless at our house and while its fine during the day it is very poor during peak times.

Apparently there is a tower upgrade happening in the first quarter of next year to fix the congestion, or so Telstra tell me.

What I am wondering, is if I was to go to another Internet provider besides Telstra would I still have the same congestion issues?? Do other suppliers use the same nbn towers as Telstra would be using? This is in a Rural area not a large city.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2019, 01:24:16 PM by DannyG »
Not a virus, not a re-install, not a format, not an issue since 2011..once you go mac you never go back

Oz Isuzu Forums
My Trailer Build